Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They can also be used in Kill Team and (sorta) 30k!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Purple and gold is such a freaking good combo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

They can also be used in Kill Team and (sorta) 30k!

You know I've never even considered Daemons in Kill Team until now, but to me it seems taking a team of 7 Pink Horrors all of which can cause a mortal wound per turn on a roll of 6+ on 2D6 even without line of sight from 18 inches away seems broken as gently caress?

Sure they are squishy as gently caress but when you kill one of it creates two blue Horrors who both can also cast Psybolt.

Am I missing something here?

Edit: Oh you need line of sight. But still, seems very powerful!

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 27, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think that attack is limited to once per turn.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Monarchies used it for centuries for a reason!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

I think that attack is limited to once per turn.

Rulebook states a psyker cannot manifest the same power twice in a phase, but this is seven different psykers manifesting the power. Had a look at the FAQ and doesn't seem to restrict it there. Psybolt is the equivalent of Smite in 40K and smite is the only psychic power you can spam.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ultra Carp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Goddamn Vikings :argh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kitchner posted:

Rulebook states a psyker cannot manifest the same power twice in a phase, but this is seven different psykers manifesting the power. Had a look at the FAQ and doesn't seem to restrict it there. Psybolt is the equivalent of Smite in 40K and smite is the only psychic power you can spam.

From the KT rulebook, Page 26:

quote:

In the Psychic phase, players take it in turn to choose a single psyker from their kill team with which to attempt to manifest one or more psychic powers, in the order determined in the Initiative phase. Each player can only choose a single psyker in each battle round, and once all players with any psykers have done so (or have decided not to), the Psychic phase ends and the Shooting phase begins.

Emphasis mine.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Ahh got it, thanks.

Now I see why the fact the grey Knights can pick two models to use psychic powers is pretty good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kitchner posted:

From the core book:

quote:

In the Psychic phase, players take it in turn to choose a single psyker from their kill team with which to attempt to manifest one or more psychic powers, in the order determined in the Initiative phase. Each player can only choose a single psyker in each battle round, and once all players with any psykers have done so (or have decided not to), the Psychic phase ends and the Shooting phase begins.

IDK if it changed in Elites or Commanders, but you only get to pick one model to use powers per Psychic phase.

There are advantages to multiple psykers, but it's not as broken as it initially looks.

E;FB

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moths posted:

IDK if it changed in Elites or Commanders, but you only get to pick one model to use powers per Psychic phase.

They gave Grey Knights and Thousand Sons the ability to use two psykers per turn in Elites, but it's a specific rule for each kill team that overrides the base rules, Brotherhood of Psykers/Sorcerers respectively.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The next Tyranid tidbit is up, including an example of a new psychic power that is... the old version of Dominion. :jerkbag:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

4+ FNP against overwatch is pretty dope

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Yeah those rules aren't exactly inspiring. So unlike marines who get an armywide AP bonus on all units from the start of the game just for being marines, Tyranids get to pay a command point for a -1 AP to one unit if it can first destroy something without the bonus?

And Adaptive Physiology means giving up a warlord trait. Oh boy.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Appreciate some of the terrain deals from earlier, but so many of the stores are from UK/EU/AUS - anyone seen and good deals from USA/CAN? That 25EU for that one terrain kit was great but doubling it for shipping is mehhhhh

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

The next Tyranid tidbit is up, including an example of a new psychic power that is... the old version of Dominion. :jerkbag:
At least it's for every synapse creature and not just the caster? :confuoot:

These new Tyranid rules kind of suck.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

goose willis posted:

https://ttcombat.com/collections/industrial-hive/products/iron-labyrinth-death-quadrant-complex

That went from 175 to 25 and you get quite a lot of modular terrain for that price and it's pretty big

I don't think that's originally 175 - they seem to be comparing it to its plastic equivalent.

(One image has the "old price" listed as "Why pay more?")

E: still looks like a great deal tho.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 27, 2019

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Today's preview is kinda a big oof compared to the BA on monday.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

I painted a thing for the first time in entirely too long, only took me a goddamn year to get around to it. I never want to paint anything with so many colours ever again :suicide:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3SfauwzgQ

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm trying to be optimistic here, but it's not exactly looking good. Adaptations look to be a literal version of Space Marine Successors, meaning you replace the trait with the two custom ones instead of any kind of additive experience, and the fact that that Adaptive Physiology replaces a Warlord trait is also pretty unfortunate. I was hoping that the new update would be an additive experience, giving Tyranids (who have the worst monofaction win rate on 40KStats at around 30%) a much needed boost in the same way that Space Marines have received in their Supplements and PA2. Instead it seems like PA3 is this weird hybrid of giving BA a major boost and maintaining the mediocrity of Tyranids.

Obviously we don't have all the information, but if this article was intended to get Tyranid players hyped the way that Blood Angel players were GW definitely failed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I didn't expect anything nearly on the level of Marines, but I'm happy for anything new for my bugs. In some lists I just kind of shrug when picking a warlord trait because it doesn't really matter if it's on something that is going to hide in the back anyway. If my warlord is a Malanthrope and I'm not playing someone who relies on psychic powers, what am I going to take? I'm not entirely happy with the restriction of removing my warlord trait option and Dynamic Camouflage doesn't seem great, but hopefully that's not the best one of them. 4+ FNP against overwatch is pretty okay for swarms, and the +8" on ranged weapons with built-in rerolls is nice.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sykic posted:

I painted a thing for the first time in entirely too long, only took me a goddamn year to get around to it. I never want to paint anything with so many colours ever again :suicide:

That looks awesome!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yah at the start of new marines I was optimistic everyone else would get fun high powered stuff. But the PA stuff for everyone else has been pretty meh at best. Sisters of Battle seem well balanced upon first review which is good but that still leaves marines with a stupid high power level.

Well I guess we will see with the rest of the PA stuff.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are there any fluff reasons one could use when two Tyranid armies would fight each other on the tabletop?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Rules of Nature!
Or just someone claiming the spot as the Apex Predator.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Are there any fluff reasons one could use when two Tyranid armies would fight each other on the tabletop?

Hive Fleets competing for biomass?

Corrupted Hive Mind signal thanks to AdMech fuckery?

Lunch?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

The Hive Mind does it all the time as a method of testing evolutionary variations. Aside from the energy expended as heat, it doesn’t really lose much of anything from either side once they’re drawn back up into ships as a slurry.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

goose willis posted:

Honest fluff question, are there multiple hive minds for each hive fleet, or is the hive mind singular for all nids. Do the different fleets have any sort of differences other than presumably how they've evolved based on what they encounter?

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Mef989 posted:

Honest fluff question, are there multiple hive minds for each hive fleet, or is the hive mind singular for all nids. Do the different fleets have any sort of differences other than presumably how they've evolved based on what they encounter?

If there is one singular hive mind, then the hive fleets' connections to it require a living Norn queen - since killing them seems to break their attending fleets and stuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Sykic posted:

This looks excellent, great job!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Appreciate some of the terrain deals from earlier, but so many of the stores are from UK/EU/AUS - anyone seen and good deals from USA/CAN? That 25EU for that one terrain kit was great but doubling it for shipping is mehhhhh

https://blacksitestudio.com

They post their deals on the 29th.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mef989 posted:

Unknown. Nid fluff is pretty light and most of it is written from the perspective of humans trying to guess at it. I think it works best that way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mef989 posted:

one big mind but it seems to often use different fleets for experiments and all to stay constantly evolving, so fleets can take on 'unique' elements without being actually individual.

Or maybe the queens in control of the fleets have more influence and sentience than it seems and the mind is more fractured than it seems.

Or maybe the fleets actually ARE unique minds with the same primal urges and desires that happen to sync up into one huge force.

Basically

RagnarokAngel posted:

Unknown. Nid fluff is pretty light and most of it is written from the perspective of humans trying to guess at it. I think it works best that way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yah at the start of new marines I was optimistic everyone else would get fun high powered stuff. But the PA stuff for everyone else has been pretty meh at best. Sisters of Battle seem well balanced upon first review which is good but that still leaves marines with a stupid high power level.

Well I guess we will see with the rest of the PA stuff.

It seems like PA must have been written at least 6 months before marines came out and also without realizing just how loving strong doctrines and chapter tactics are

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Latest fluff from the hive minds perspective is absolutely explicit that the hive is entirely one singular entity that inhabits and guides every fleet and their actions simultaneously. It will have fleets fight and merge occasionally to combine their genes and biomass and will develop certain fleets for certain roles.

One of my favorite fluff bits is that since hive fleet kronos is designed to hunt demons it is always starving for biomass, so instead of hunting imperial outposts out of the way of its mission other hivefleets only half digest planets in its pathway so it can feed off of them.

The hivemind is also develiping something of a personality and is making tactical moves based on grudges now. Which to he fair for a multi limbed entity in every location at once is less obsessive than if it was a single actor.

Devastation of baal goes into even further detail if you want to know more.

Every Lictor is also The Lictor which is fun, as long as the biomass is absorbed , success or failure, all the different organisms that make up the lictor share their knowledge throughout every tyranid hivefleet.

I havent read it yet because i didnt get the deluxe edition but supposedly darkness in the blood goes into even more detail about what the hivemind entity is.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 28, 2019

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

It seems like PA must have been written at least 6 months before marines came out and also without realizing just how loving strong doctrines and chapter tactics are

Maybe, but this book does have the BA getting their doctrines. it just makes them all feel like no one ever even took two seconds to consider just the blatant differences in power.

masam
May 27, 2010

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yeah i like that stuff so im thinking im just gonna use next months hobby budget to get enough terrain for the free shipping unless black sites deals are that good, cause it looks like a lotttttt of terrain i can get for about 120 if the shipping is free

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

R0ckfish posted:

Maybe, but this book does have the BA getting their doctrines. it just makes them all feel like no one ever even took two seconds to consider just the blatant differences in power.

That's why I think PA was written a while back, GW didn't seem to expect doctrines to be that big of a power shift and only realized it post-marine launch, after it was too late to change anything in PA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Had a ton of time to kill today so I drew a buncha Chaos mans.