Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pmchem posted:

in the post you originally replied to, I was comparing market caps of zoom and ford (actually -- I was also responding to a post which did just that). You said to look at EV instead. Now you're saying market cap is a more fair measure because it accounts for debt. So which is it, should we be looking at market cap or EV when comparing the worth of companies?

I'm saying that EV is a more fair comparison of a companies size because it includes debt, market cap just looks at outstanding equity

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jokes posted:

EV was a big thing back when fundamental analysis was the thing to do which, arguably, has fallen to the wayside for retail investors. It was a response to people fixating on book value or some such, and EV provides more of a "holistic" image.

Imagine selling a 2020 stock's fundamentals to someone in 1972 lol.

The point isn't that it's important one way or another to assessing if the stock price is over or under valued, it's that just looking at the market cap doesn't give a good view of a companies size. Markets dinner think that zoom, the company, is four times as valuable as ford, they think that they have vaguely similar values, ford just happens to have a bunch of its value as outstanding debt

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

The point isn't that it's important one way or another to assessing if the stock price is over or under valued, it's that just looking at the market cap doesn't give a good view of a companies size. Markets dinner think that zoom, the company, is four times as valuable as ford, they think that they have vaguely similar values, ford just happens to have a bunch of its value as outstanding debt

OK, I get your point for comparing "company size". That's valid.

quote:

"Markets dinner think that zoom, the company, is four times as valuable as ford"

But the market cap is *exactly* the market value. Zoom is worth four times as much as ford *because* ford is leveraged to the gills.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Market cap is the value of a companies equity, not the company as a whole. Imagine your company was "$1000 of dollar bills in a vault, to be liquidiated in a few days". If you issued had $900 of debt and had one outstanding share, that share would be worth about $100, and the debt is probably valued at par. The company is valued by the market as being worth about $1000

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I get your points now, I think we were just talking past each other. Most conversations in this thread assume we're talking about stock valuations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Like you wouldn't say your house, which sells for $1million, is worth $100k because you have a 90% mortgage.

E: sure makes sense

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does Ford actually struggle to service its debt? They've made America's most sellingest car for ~40 years in a row and over half of their sales are to organizations that slam that "Buy the new Ford Truck" button every few years, regardless of what the competition is offering.

Doomed because they aren't gonna sell anymore Fiestas to 16 year olds?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

Market cap is the value of a companies equity, not the company as a whole. Imagine your company was "$1000 of dollar bills in a vault, to be liquidiated in a few days". If you issued had $900 of debt and had one outstanding share, that share would be worth about $100, and the debt is probably valued at par. The company is valued by the market as being worth about $1000

Man, I feel like we are in the semantic weeds, but definitions do matter in investing.

The market value of the company, and of the one share that represents the company, is $100.

quote:

Like you wouldn't say your house, which sells for $1million, is worth $100k because you have a 90% mortgage.

The house is worth 1 million, but the company that owns the house (ford in this case) is worth 100k.

I may "own" a million dollar house, but in actuality I only have $100K in equity. The bank owns the house.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 25, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In this case the house is the company though. Think about what happens when a company gets liquidated - it's assets get sold off, and the value is given to various parties in a specific order of preference. Equity just happens to be the most junior of those parties.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 25, 2020

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does Ford actually struggle to service its debt? They've made America's most sellingest car for ~40 years in a row and over half of their sales are to organizations that slam that "Buy the new Ford Truck" button every few years, regardless of what the competition is offering.

Doomed because they aren't gonna sell anymore Fiestas to 16 year olds?

not so good if the us collapses in trumpian proud boy handmaiden world civil war now is it????? hmm??? didnt think of that did you??? smart guy??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Owned for massive damage!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pmchem posted:

EV in the context above refers to enterprise value, not electric vehicle

I was responding to the earlier discussion but I see why it's confusing

Squalid posted:

The problem with Ford is that it has a real chance of going out of business in the next decade. Unless it goes all in on EVs immediately, something there is no indication it has any plans to do, it’s hard to imagine much of a future for the company.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Smythe posted:

not so good if the us collapses in trumpian proud boy handmaiden world civil war now is it????? hmm??? didnt think of that did you??? smart guy??

Depends? Do we finally get Hiluxes in the states or will all technicals be F-150s?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ford has shifted from an American car company into an American fund whose primary holdings are foreign car factories.

I hate their trucks and I liked the Fusion I do not like Ford!!!!

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Ford's revenue growth is either anemic or flat out in decline. Why anyone would want to own such a bloated non-growing company is beyond me. I also don't get the fascination of comparing F to other companies...especially ones with actual and even exponential growth.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
dat Bronco doe

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Kal Torak posted:

Ford's revenue growth is either anemic or flat out in decline. Why anyone would want to own such a bloated non-growing company is beyond me.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

dat Bronco doe

This is a crazy week for earnings

https://twitter.com/eWhispers/status/1319977329972727810

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kal Torak posted:

Ford's revenue growth is either anemic or flat out in decline. Why anyone would want to own such a bloated non-growing company is beyond me. I also don't get the fascination of comparing F to other companies...especially ones with actual and even exponential growth.

idk i wouldn’t mind having an ownership stake in ford motors

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PLTR closed at 9.49 on Friday

https://twitter.com/wallstjesus/status/1320685062669635584?s=21

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
We're primed for a COVID red week. Could bankrupt 95% of WSB, which is all-in on calls because this is is a huge earnings report week. I'm staying away, volatility and unforseen material news are going to be crazy.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I am new to the Stock Market and want to make a lot of money I am watching Alibaba might buy shares

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

I am new to the Stock Market and want to make a lot of money I am watching Alibaba might buy shares

Something something forty thieves.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks much to whoever on here pointed out SELB. U da bes

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

And a red candle for you

And here's one for you

And you..

And

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

We're primed for a COVID red week. Could bankrupt 95% of WSB, which is all-in on calls because this is is a huge earnings report week. I'm staying away, volatility and unforseen material news are going to be crazy.

[dances in cash]

I mostly mashed "sell" last week, so I'm going to :munch: this week.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I bought a few SPY puts at open this morning and they're doing the Lord's work.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Everything is in place this week for a perfect storm. Smoke' em if you got' em and also hold on to yer butts.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I want to buy a bunch of 2 week SPY puts and the only thing making me hesitate is the chance of a desperation stimulus deal.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Senate is too busy with the SC nomination, and the Senate Republicans still have zero actual written plans to put to the floor. I don't think they could get anything out if they wanted, which at last check they didn't.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

FistEnergy posted:

Pfizer should be releasing early efficacy results of their vaccine this week or so. That could have an effect if it's good.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

yes, it's gonna be a loving mess next month.

I am considering going into this for our IRAs until the election is settled:

EFG 0.25 (developed mkts, growth tilt)
ESGE 0.15 (emerging mkts, ESG tilt)
SWAN 0.15 (SWAN ETF is ~90% treasuries + ~10% SPY LEAPs)
VGIT 0.24 (intermediate tresuries)
VGLT 0.15 (long dated treasuries)
BUG 0.06 (cyber)
------------------------------------
total 1.0

Overall, it's about 50/50 equities/treasuries, with a strong tilt to international and small stake in cybersecurity.

it took a week or two longer than I expected but this change I made is now solidly ahead of S&P 500 (as benchmark)

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm having an extremely hard to not FOMOing and starting my big short early. I was going to wait until around the 27th-29th for a green day to get my VIX calls and SPY puts ready but when the market drops almost 3%... Good lord someone hold me back from that short button.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm having an extremely hard to not FOMOing and starting my big short early. I was going to wait until around the 27th-29th for a green day to get my VIX calls and SPY puts ready but when the market drops almost 3%... Good lord someone hold me back from that short button.

What's your play, if you don't mind sharing? I'm currently torn between rolling short DTE SPY puts and one longer play for the end of the year. Going short-term costs a lot of theta, but you avoid your position being screwed by a surprise stimulus deal. I'm leaning towards a short-term strategy because I figure that the COVID spike will be front-page news by the end of the week, while a stimulus deal before the election is very unlikely. I think there is a window right now before anything meaningful could counteract all the bad news.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

FistEnergy posted:

What's your play, if you don't mind sharing? I'm currently torn between rolling short DTE SPY puts and one longer play for the end of the year. Going short-term costs a lot of theta, but you avoid your position being screwed by a surprise stimulus deal. I'm leaning towards a short-term strategy because I figure that the COVID spike will be front-page news by the end of the week, while a stimulus deal before the election is very unlikely. I think there is a window right now before anything meaningful could counteract all the bad news.

UVXY Dec 18th calls, betting on covid and election pandemonium but I want to make the calls far out enough that the theta doesn't burn before their value pops off (if, I should say). Then after it seems like the poo poo is hitting the fan I'll swap back to even longer-dated March 2021 puts since I expect things to somewhat calm down at that point. I'm looking at the $25 since it's not insanely overpriced but also not too far off getting passed from a few red days. I think we *could* see over 40 and I might roll my position a few times over to try and ride the wave if it does indeed come and we get some more big red candle days.

Keep in mind, however, that I am a legendarily bad investor and inversing me on every play I've ever made would have made you extremely rich up to this point.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

dat Bronco doe

The only decent looking car is the now discontinued toyota FJ cruiser

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I touched the Intel poop

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hit Man posted:

I touched the Intel poop

...which way?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

pixaal posted:

...which way?

Shares my friend. Not brave enough for leap calls.

I'll see myself out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Stock Number Go Down this week is definitely going to force Donny T's hand, but given the timing, I'm sure it's going to be "I promise to Do Something but only after you vote for me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had forgotten how shockingly expensive AMZN options are, but I feel like even when I guess right on earnings IV crush has screwed me over so I'll just sit this week out.