Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Earwicker posted:

certainly true for lots of fields and subjects but im having a hard time imagining someone deriving much puffed up self-importance from being a certified pallbearer of all things
The certification test is just one question in big text "It's sometimes ok to drop the casket. Circle one: True/false."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was doing some spring cleaning and found this. I remember buying this (for some reason) in the 80s. It was part of series of reproductions of ancient tools/devices. I haven't run across the stand (which may be lost to the universe). What the hell is it? Who the hell made it?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Gyroscope?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

The center ring only goes 90 degrees. I think it was clock of some kind and you had shine the light of the sun through the tiny hole in the center scale.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Some sort of astrolabe?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Looks like an astronomical ring aka a traveler's sundial

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tenik posted:

Looks like an astronomical ring aka a traveler's sundial

That appears to be it. Thanks.

Now to figure who made it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Fruit leather?
I think this is it, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

That appears to be it. Thanks.

Now to figure who made it.

Ancient aliens, duh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a macbook which is connected to a pair of bluetooth speakers via airplay. I want to add a wireless projector to make this a home theater setup for movies.

What problems am I likely to encounter? I’ve googled and can’t seem to find many people with a similar setup. My goal is just to minimize cables without having a super laggy performance.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I keep seeing internet people nut their pants for The Last Airbender and Clone Wars. Like adults. Is this just nostalgia or are these good shows for a well adjusted adult to watch?

(I never saw them when I was a kid i am an old)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Manager Hoyden posted:

I keep seeing internet people nut their pants for The Last Airbender and Clone Wars. Like adults. Is this just nostalgia or are these good shows for a well adjusted adult to watch?

The Last Airbender is a genuinely fun show with solid writing, and I believe the Clone Wars is good as well. The thing is, I can say that a dozen times and you still can't be sure until you see 'em for yourself. I recommend watching the first few eps of both shows and deciding if they're something you want to see more of. Also, remember that they're written for teenagers, I believe, so if something stupid happens, forgive it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I watched ATLA for the first time recently, and it's genuinely a very good show. If you can tolerate a little geared-toward-kids goofiness then you'll be able to appreciate it.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The answer to that question lies in the distinction between "all-ages" and "for children". Shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe are good for people of any age, whereas shows like Paw Patrol or whatever are just trash to put in front of kids so they don't bother you.

I'm under the impression that Last Airbender is a legit good show for all ages, but I never watched it myself. I wouldn't trust Clone Wars because people are always going to give it a lot of extra credit for being Star Wars, but if you like Star Wars then probably give it a try.

e: I just realized, do you mean the original Clone Wars or the new one? The original is pretty great. It's short and there's not much talking and a lot of really cool animation and action from what I remember.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Manager Hoyden posted:

TLA holds up, but the first season is a bit rough and has a lot more kid humor than later seasons. I watched the first season of Clone Wars as an adult and it was absolute dogshit. Life's too short to watch bad TV.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gobbeldygook posted:

I watched the first season of Clone Wars as an adult and it was absolute dogshit. Life's too short to watch bad TV.

I wouldn't describe it as absolute dogshit, but I don't remember thinking it was great. It might have gotten love for being better than the prequels.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Weren't there two different Star Wars cartoons both called 'Clone Wars?' Did nobody think that wouldn't cause any confusion?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gobbeldygook posted:

Life's too short to watch bad TV.

True. That's why I spent thirty seconds asking on here rather than "give it a season to get good" which is what ever person on the face of the earth says about any show.

Ive been burned too many times on cartoons that are internet popular but end up being terrible, but every now and then one turns out pretty good. That's the price you pay for being nerdy enough to enjoy nerdy things but not nerdy enough to be plugged into the parapopular culture.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

YggiDee posted:

Weren't there two different Star Wars cartoons both called 'Clone Wars?' Did nobody think that wouldn't cause any confusion?

Well one of them aired in 2003 for 25 10-minute episodes and one of them aired in 2008-present for 133 22-minute episodes. Their target audience is just kids watching TV or Star Wars nerds, it's not really important to them whether or not people on the internet have to specify which one they're talking about at any time.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I watched a little bit of Avatar when I was a kid, and just finished watching the Last Airbender as an adult. The first season is absolutely kid focused, with some smart bits and some surprisingly deep scenarios. The second and last seasons are fantastic, and have sharp writing, a well thought out narrative, and some occasional kiddy goofy bits that were fitting reprieves from the occasionally dark tone. Classon hit the nail on the head when they said it was a good All-Ages show.

Watch the first three episodes to see if the premise works for you. If you think it's too kiddy but has some promise, skip to episode 19 of the first season and watch from there. You'll miss a lot of world building and introductions to tertiary characters that come back later in the show, but you can probably infer what happened based on the context.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 19, 2020

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Are there Beethovens or Mozarts today? Not necessarily related to composers, just people with that last name? Google-fu failed me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

Are there Beethovens or Mozarts today? Not necessarily related to composers, just people with that last name? Google-fu failed me.

Apparently there's a couple of them floating around.

~80 Beethovens, most popular in the US
https://forebears.io/surnames/beethoven

~640 Mozarts, most popular in Brazil
https://forebears.io/surnames/mozart

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Are there any DIY alternatives to the ring camera which allow for local storage instead of uploading to the internet? I seem to remember reading something about it but I can't find it again for the life of me.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bioshuffle posted:

Are there any DIY alternatives to the ring camera which allow for local storage instead of uploading to the internet? I seem to remember reading something about it but I can't find it again for the life of me.
The home security thread should be able to help you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Cameras in general, sure. A doorbell camera? I'm still looking for something that both doesn't suck and it's a $1600 commercial/apartment building type system.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bioshuffle posted:

Not DIY, but the Eufy doorbell cameras store the video on themselves and can stream it to your phone. So it still goes over the Internet, but there isn't any cloud storage.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'd like to get myself a laptop and I have no real idea how to do so beyond typing "Laptop" into google and order the first thing that comes up. I need it mostly for work stuff (which means writing and researching) that nowadays any smart toaster can do, so performance is mostly not a big issue, although running some basic games or just be a general nice, modern all-rounder with solid speed would be excellent. I have no plans to do any artistic stuff (photoshop for posting at best), rendering or run whatever big games are currently in with it.
Any recommendations for something like this? Pretend I know nothing about anything, because that's true in general.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Goons Are Great posted:

I'd like to get myself a laptop and I have no real idea how to do so beyond typing "Laptop" into google and order the first thing that comes up. I need it mostly for work stuff (which means writing and researching) that nowadays any smart toaster can do, so performance is mostly not a big issue, although running some basic games or just be a general nice, modern all-rounder with solid speed would be excellent. I have no plans to do any artistic stuff (photoshop for posting at best), rendering or run whatever big games are currently in with it.
Any recommendations for something like this? Pretend I know nothing about anything, because that's true in general.

This is the thread you need for all your laptop questions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Should have included that I am also very bad at browsing this forum and notice what threads could be helpful before posting :v:
Thanks!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is this a good desk to buy? https://www.amazon.com/Tribesigns-Computer-Storage-Shelves-Workstation/dp/B0852J95MB/ I want to use it for 2 people, but I don't know anything about desks.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Bioshuffle posted:

Is this a good desk to buy? https://www.amazon.com/Tribesigns-Computer-Storage-Shelves-Workstation/dp/B0852J95MB/ I want to use it for 2 people, but I don't know anything about desks.

Well Fakespot gives the reviews an 'F' rating so probably not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woah.....I didn't know about that site. Thanks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

Woah.....I didn't know about that site. Thanks.

Take it with a grain of salt, it's very unscientific and frequently will report things very low for bullshit reasons.

For instance, Amazon's own listing of the FireTV stick, with over 200k reviews is rated as "F" as well
https://www.fakespot.com/product/fire-tv-stick-with-all-new-alexa-voice-remote-streaming-media-player

They don't really say why something is rated as it is but if you trust Fakespot's analysis then you would have to believe that Amazon is hiring 200k people to write fake reviews for their product.

Usually it's easier to just read the actual reviews and see if they sounds like someone who actually owns the product. For instance, if you look at the actual desk listed it's got a bunch of verified purchases and pictures of people who have set it up in their actual homes. I would say it's pretty accurate to say those are real reviews.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FCKGW posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, it's very unscientific and frequently will report things very low for bullshit reasons.

For instance, Amazon's own listing of the FireTV stick, with over 200k reviews is rated as "F" as well
https://www.fakespot.com/product/fire-tv-stick-with-all-new-alexa-voice-remote-streaming-media-player

They don't really say why something is rated as it is but if you trust Fakespot's analysis then you would have to believe that Amazon is hiring 200k people to write fake reviews for their product.

Usually it's easier to just read the actual reviews and see if they sounds like someone who actually owns the product. For instance, if you look at the actual desk listed it's got a bunch of verified purchases and pictures of people who have set it up in their actual homes. I would say it's pretty accurate to say those are real reviews.

That's the wrong listing - the actual listing has a Fakespot rating of 'C'. Still not great, but right below that you can see the adjusted rating - what it would be once you eliminated the sketchy reviews. It's still 4.5 stars in this case.

Fakespot doesn't just look for fake reviews, it also looks for habitual reviewers, unverified buyers, and reviews that are copy/pastes from other reviews on the site. And yeah you can rig verified buyers too - they just reimburse career reviewers for their purchase plus a little extra. Fortunately, these people tend to review a ton of things, so the system count theirs as a bad review for the purpose of their Fakespot rating.

Yeah it's not perfect, but 90% of all listings on Amazon are cheap drop-shipped poo poo, and it's the only semi-working screening service there is. So it's not so much "take it with a grain of salt" so much as "it won't work all time, but it'll work more than the Amazon review system".

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so when 'fight club' came out, tyler durden was seen as this hero/inspirational figure for tons of people, right? was the same true of patrick bateman?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

abelwingnut posted:

so when 'fight club' came out, tyler durden was seen as this hero/inspirational figure for tons of people, right? was the same true of patrick bateman?

Yes. No.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it possible to use a home CNC machine for both wood and metal, if I swap the tools out? I was thinking of getting a CNC machine that can handle metal (so it has coolant and swarf collection), and then just swap the tools out for stuff that can handle wood so I can work on wood items too. But I don't know if this is viable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I downloaded it out of curiosity and messed around on Amazon for a bit and I'm calling BS on this app. One of the first things I noticed was a F rating for Portrait of a Lady on Fire criterion blu ray sold by Amazon. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that some people being mad about lesbians hosed their algorithm up. Then I looked at a bunch of stuff I've bought from 3rd party sellers that was great and most of it was rated C, probably due to mixed reviews from people too stupid to use the products correctly. I wouldn't trust this thing as far as I could throw it.

E: To be fair I ran some sort test that took 5 literally minutes and it updated the Lady on Fire blu ray to a B , but this thing still doesn't seem very useful as a consumer watchdog app. I give it an F.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 22, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would you use it on a movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Why would you use it on a movie?

I didn't? I ordered some criterion movies the other day and my top recommendation to get me to buy more of them had a big F over it and it wasn't too hard to figure out why.

I'm not "using" it on anything it just displays over your normal amazon page.