Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

BathroomTile posted:

Oh man, this. I use the timers often (doing laundry, cooking something). Are there any good app replacements?

There's bunches of timers on the market but it took me forever to find one that didn't completely wakelock the phone until beeping time. this one doesn't wakelock: https://market.android.com/details?id=spinninghead.timer&feature=order_history (deny it internet permission with the cm permission management)

Someone else suggested in the os thread you can just do a voice command "alarm 20 minutes" too.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

BathroomTile posted:

Oh man, this. I use the timers often (doing laundry, cooking something). Are there any good app replacements?

As for the alarm, I use Gentle Alarm, so I won't miss out on that.

I used this one and it seemed to work just fine.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sportstracklive.stopwatch&feature=related_apps

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Wagonburner posted:

There's bunches of timers on the market but it took me forever to find one that didn't completely wakelock the phone until beeping time. this one doesn't wakelock: https://market.android.com/details?id=spinninghead.timer&feature=order_history (deny it internet permission with the cm permission management)

Someone else suggested in the os thread you can just do a voice command "alarm 20 minutes" too.

Ozmodiar posted:

I used this one and it seemed to work just fine.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sportstracklive.stopwatch&feature=related_apps

Fantastic. Thanks, everyone!

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The "stable" CM7 ROM for the SGSG2 has problems where the camcorder doesn't work, it can't play a lot of video files (even with other players installed) and the built-in wifi tethering doesn't work. I used it for a while, but those two things were deal breakers and I went back to stock.

I'm on the "stable" CM7.1 (that's since been downgraded to RC) on my international SGS2: hotspot and video recording works fine for me everyday.

Only issues I have is that the CRT screen-on animation sometimes stops the screen from waking when you unlock (so you'd have to lock then unlock again). This asnt happened since I turned off the animation. Also, GPS is okay but not ideal. Other than that it's very very good.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone happen to have a copy of CleanROM 2.6.1's .zip laying around? 2.7 is buggy as poo poo for me lately so I'd like to go back to the previous version since it was perfectly stable.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I have a Droid Incredible 2 that I've been happy with, with the exception of the non-removable garbage that Verizon shipped on it. I've been using LauncherPro to hide poo poo, but I'd really prefer to just remove all of the junk apps and have a clean phone.

I've done some reading on rooting the Incredible 2, but most of the info that I've come across is outdated. Most of what I've seen is that it's difficult, and might not be worth the hassle. I'm very much a newb at this, and am feeling :ohdear: without decent (clear) information. Can any goons weigh in on their Incredible 2s?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Only thing I really liked about miui was the long-press home on lockscreen for flashlight, that was awesome but I'm kinda CM 4 lyfe.
If you like that, set up a gesture for the flashlight on the lockscreen in CM7. I draw a letter 'F' for mine.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

ExcessBLarg! posted:

:stare:

Please please please, heed this advice: if you're still within your return/exchange window, return this phone, now!

Well I did get my Galaxy S2 only 3 days ago so I'm definitely still in the return window. This does look like the best thing T-mobile has to offer, with the HTC Amaze being the next step if I do decide to change the phone, what phone do you recommend I get?

I still haven't rooted it because there doesn't seem to be any stable mods for it out there, I suppose I could play the waiting game till one comes out but I haven't otherwise had any problems with this phone. I really wanna give the GSII a chance!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Victorian Gentleman posted:

This does look like the best thing T-mobile has to offer, with the HTC Amaze being the next step if I do decide to change the phone, what phone do you recommend I get?
Personally I'd wait for the Galaxy Nexus. There's no clear date for it's release, but by the end of November is quite likely.

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I suppose I could play the waiting game till one comes out but I haven't otherwise had any problems with this phone.
That's a good start. Many of Samsung's past devices did have issues from the get-go, and the big problem is that in many of the cases they were never fixed. If the phone is working now, one hopes that it at least won't be worse than it's current state.

I mean, personally, I don't like the idea of being locked into a device for 24 months with questionable chance for updates, particularly when the biggest update to Android in history is looming around the corner. But if you're totally content with the device as is and don't really care to have the latest and greatest, that's fine. Alternatively if you're willing to cut your losses and part with this phone after three months to pick up something else, that's fine too.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Something weird happened in the middle of the night with my rooted Thunderbolt. I rooted it with revolutionary, and left it as is, about 3 months ago. Last night I wake up to a black screen, with a triangle warning/exclamation sign, and a blue android guy. I took the battery out, reboot, and it starts fine. But within 1 minute of it being fully loaded, it restarts into an "update" mode, and then says that the update signature failed, installation aborted.

What the gently caress is going on? I have no problem doing a factory reset if that's whats required, but would like to know whats going on first. It does appear to be a problem whit an update for revolutionary.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Flyboy925 posted:

Something weird happened in the middle of the night with my rooted Thunderbolt. I rooted it with revolutionary, and left it as is, about 3 months ago. Last night I wake up to a black screen, with a triangle warning/exclamation sign, and a blue android guy. I took the battery out, reboot, and it starts fine. But within 1 minute of it being fully loaded, it restarts into an "update" mode, and then says that the update signature failed, installation aborted.

What the gently caress is going on? I have no problem doing a factory reset if that's whats required, but would like to know whats going on first. It does appear to be a problem whit an update for revolutionary.

Sounds like it's trying to accept and install the OTA that just went live, but the custom recovery is blocking the installation (as it should, since you'd lose root if it went through). If you want to stay rooted but still install the update, there should be a rooted stock image on XDA somewhere.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Penguissimo posted:

Sounds like it's trying to accept and install the OTA that just went live, but the custom recovery is blocking the installation (as it should, since you'd lose root if it went through). If you want to stay rooted but still install the update, there should be a rooted stock image on XDA somewhere.

Awesome, thanks for the info. It appears that this is the GB update, after doing a little research. Now the question is how would I force the update? I'm not too worried about losing the root, i'd rather just have a working phone right now. And I wouldn't mind trying GingerBread right now.

MidasAg fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 29, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ozmodiar posted:

Seriously...how do you keep all this stuff in your head?!

Reporting back after 24 Hours with the Netarchy Kernel (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936219)

I'm running the 1.3.7 "Stable" version...and I have good news to report:

No radio dropouts. No Sleep of Death. No boot loops. I'm MUCH happier.

I did have two "green screens" for about 0.5 (each time) when first turning the screen on...but it quickly flipped over to a normal looking screen again both times.

From all my research into this, it really looks like it's related to the BLN stuff in the stock kernel. The Netarchy kernel I'm running now only lists support BLN for the i9020 and i9023 models. Sprint's Nexus S 4G is SPH-D720.

It definitely supports the Nexus S 4G because it's working on my phone.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Flyboy925 posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info. It appears that this is the GB update, after doing a little research. Now the question is how would I force the update? I'm not too worried about losing the root, i'd rather just have a working phone right now. And I wouldn't mind trying GingerBread right now.

I'm far from a Thunderbolt expert, but this thread will probably be a good place to start:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312193

Note that it might be safer to install the rooted version of the OTA, since a lot of GB updates have patched a lot of root exploits, and you may not be able to easily get root back if you install the stock OTA.*

* Disclaimer: this is true of a lot of phones, but I have no idea about the TB specifically.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Penguissimo posted:

I'm far from a Thunderbolt expert, but this thread will probably be a good place to start:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312193

Note that it might be safer to install the rooted version of the OTA, since a lot of GB updates have patched a lot of root exploits, and you may not be able to easily get root back if you install the stock OTA.*

* Disclaimer: this is true of a lot of phones, but I have no idea about the TB specifically.

Awesome, thank you . Downloading now, so hopefully i'll have a working phone soon again. Thanks again.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Anyone happen to have a copy of CleanROM 2.6.1's .zip laying around? 2.7 is buggy as poo poo for me lately so I'd like to go back to the previous version since it was perfectly stable.

I've got 2.4 and 2.7, no 2.6.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Rohaq posted:

If you like that, set up a gesture for the flashlight on the lockscreen in CM7. I draw a letter 'F' for mine.

I've got it as one of my 4 app launcher shortcuts on the new ring unlock screen. Still though, those 4 keys are doing nothing on a lockscreen, I liked miui making use of one of them.

Also I suck at the gestures, I've made a bunch but I have to do them 2 or 3 times before I get it right and then I might as well have just unlocked it and found a shortcut.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, as someone who has never rooted an Android before, is there an easy, retard-proof way to root an Inspire 4g?

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Lprsti99 posted:

So, as someone who has never rooted an Android before, is there an easy, retard-proof way to root an Inspire 4g?

It's not complex but if you're not comfortable learning poo poo you shouldn't be rooting. Here's all the info you'll need (with video links):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=970824

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

It definitely supports the Nexus S 4G because it's working on my phone.

Did you download the BLN app from the Market and enable it?

I haven't bothered to do that...so it's still possible this was my problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

The BLN situation is really hosed up on the Nexus S for CM7 at the moment. Here's the short story:

On CM7.1 (but not 7.1.0.1) and alternative kernels, you need the BLN Control app from the Market to enable it. On CM7.1.0.1 and nightlies since then you have to go into CM Settings and enable notifications on a per-app basis. Now at various times BLN has caused hardlocks whenever a notification came in, this was just prior to CM7.1. Since then BLN has caused hardlocks but not consistently. Additionally all alternative kernels have had hardlocks, dimscreens, and reboots but it's unclear whether this is BLN-related.

How's Alfonso's kernel been treating you?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The BLN situation is really hosed up on the Nexus S for CM7 at the moment. Here's the short story:

On CM7.1 (but not 7.1.0.1) and alternative kernels, you need the BLN Control app from the Market to enable it. On CM7.1.0.1 and nightlies since then you have to go into CM Settings and enable notifications on a per-app basis. Now at various times BLN has caused hardlocks whenever a notification came in, this was just prior to CM7.1. Since then BLN has caused hardlocks but not consistently. Additionally all alternative kernels have had hardlocks, dimscreens, and reboots but it's unclear whether this is BLN-related.

How's Alfonso's kernel been treating you?

Thanks for the BLN info.

My gut reaction is still that my problems were partially related to the BLN stuff...though the sleep of death was almost assuredly related to the deep sleep kernel modifications.

I haven't tried Alfonso's kernel yet...I ended up giving Netatchy's kernel a go first. I like his work with the EVO 4G, so I thought I'd try his work on the NS4G.

So far, I've had NO radio drops, NO sleep of death, and only 2 reboots (both happened when I was using Google Reader On WiFi...and loading the same article kept causing the reboot. Worked fine on 3G though. Weird). I do get an occasional "green screen" when I first turn the screen on...but it only happens for a split second and then everything is fine again.

The only thing I miss from the stock kernel are the BLN and the deep sleep. I did get better battery life out of the stock kernel as well...but it wasn't worth all the other hassles.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks for the BLN info.

My gut reaction is still that my problems were partially related to the BLN stuff...though the sleep of death was almost assuredly related to the deep sleep kernel modifications.
The thing is, I'm positive the dimscreens and hardlocks and reboots have always been in CM7, long before the additions of BLN and the extensive changes to the kernel which have been in the last month or so.

Ozmodiar posted:

I haven't tried Alfonso's kernel yet...I ended up giving Netatchy's kernel a go first. I like his work with the EVO 4G, so I thought I'd try his work on the NS4G.

So far, I've had NO radio drops, NO sleep of death, and only 2 reboots (both happened when I was using Google Reader On WiFi...and loading the same article kept causing the reboot. Worked fine on 3G though. Weird). I do get an occasional "green screen" when I first turn the screen on...but it only happens for a split second and then everything is fine again.

The only thing I miss from the stock kernel are the BLN and the deep sleep. I did get better battery life out of the stock kernel as well...but it wasn't worth all the other hassles.
Well I know the Netarchy kernel has BLN and Voodoo built in, so maybe it's worth a try if she gets another hardlock. I'll even float the idea of going sans-BLN since she never checks her notifications when they come in anyway.

A couple things that seem just weird: one is the amount of variation people report. Kali consistently says that everything's stable for him (although presumably he's reflashing every day so I take it with a grain of salt) but even her device isn't what I'd call unusable. You and a lot of others report uptime in hours not days on the stock kernel. The other thing that makes no sense is that no other ROMs have these issues at all. Be they AOSP, MIUI, or Sense-based, none have dimscreens, reboots, or hardlocks except CM7. Given that CM7 is developed straight from source I wouldn't expect the instability it exhibits.

On top of all of that you still have the lovely Samsung Galaxy S problems like the wackjob RIL issue of 2G/3G switching and GPS oddness but those permeate other ROMs too, not just CM7 (although it seems like the 2G/3G issue was patched in CM7 for all SGS devices including the NS about a month ago).

On the one hand I'm excited about moving to the Galaxy Nexus soon but on the other I'm not looking forward to the inevitable weirdness that dealing with Samsung will surely provide. I guess never ever having to reboot isn't really that amazing of a feature on the N1 given I'm flashing every few days regardless but it's certainly nice to know that it is rock solid if I decide to not gently caress with things.

Question for the N1 CM7 users who use Bluetooth: Has anyone ever gotten it to work? I'm considering completely blowing out my /system, going to bone stock 2.3.6, confirming Bluetooth works, then re-rooting and going to CM7.1 Stable from scratch. I've redone everything to be perfect including moving to s2e and run a nandroid so I know I can get back to where I am. I've even gotten ADB set up on my MacBook Air so I can reflash Amon-Ra once I'm back to stock but I haven't pulled the trigger. Just wondering if everyone's Bluetooth is still hosed before I nuke the device and start a process that will take hours to complete.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ozmodiar posted:

I had to get the BLN app to enable it yes.

I didn't know this was all such a clusterfuck as LastInLine says.

But I can definitely say that the CM7.1 RC and the netarchy kernel have been treating me pretty well on the Nexus S 4G and I don't experience any of the problems that have been mentioned. Sometimes BLN will keep the keys lit after it's supposed to time out, but that doesn't bother me.

Now that I know it's such a mess I think I'll stay on this until ICS.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Someone actually still has access to the old nightlies and figured out the N1 bluetooth issue cropped up at nightly 152, which jives with my understanding (late august/early septemper). It was also the same time as the 2.3.5 switch, so it could be some sort of horrible chimera problem.

I wouldn't bother re-flashing. I've just given up on bluetooth until whoever is in charge of it actually takes it seriously as a problem. Which it is, considering both the car and desk dock use bluetooth!

I'm resigned to not seeing a fix, because it really seems like there's very little interest in what breaks the N1 anymore. Too many devices, too few developers.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

I had to get the BLN app to enable it yes.

I didn't know this was all such a clusterfuck as LastInLine says.

But I can definitely say that the CM7.1 RC and the netarchy kernel have been treating me pretty well on the Nexus S 4G and I don't experience any of the problems that have been mentioned. Sometimes BLN will keep the keys lit after it's supposed to time out, but that doesn't bother me.

Now that I know it's such a mess I think I'll stay on this until ICS.

Probably a good call. I know I'll be running stock ICS for a while after it comes out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Probably a good call. I know I'll be running stock ICS for a while after it comes out.
I'm certain she will be.

Vaporware posted:

Someone actually still has access to the old nightlies and figured out the N1 bluetooth issue cropped up at nightly 152, which jives with my understanding (late august/early septemper). It was also the same time as the 2.3.5 switch, so it could be some sort of horrible chimera problem.

I wouldn't bother re-flashing. I've just given up on bluetooth until whoever is in charge of it actually takes it seriously as a problem. Which it is, considering both the car and desk dock use bluetooth!

I'm resigned to not seeing a fix, because it really seems like there's very little interest in what breaks the N1 anymore. Too many devices, too few developers.
I know for a fact I used Bluetooth post-2.3.5, but I also know that's about when it got sketchy. It would sometimes pair, but not all the time, and it dropped the headset from time to time. I've already tried wiping /system and installing RC1 which was before 2.3.5 and it didn't work at all so I don't think it's going to get fixed without getting off CM altogether first as I know it was fine on RC1 the first time around.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I've been waiting for CM7.1 to come out for my X2 but am getting antsy. Are there any good roms out for it?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I recently changed my number through Sprint chat. I have an Evo 4g, and in Settings > About Phone > Status it shows the old phone number. I'm using CM7 07-19-2011 Nightly. I ran Network Info II and saw the same old phone number in there.

Google brought me to http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/69423

quote:

You need to do a full reset to clear out all provisioning info - this is done by "dialing" ##786# Menu Reset and entering the MSL

but dialing that results in a wrong code or number message and I can't find Menu Reset.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the number updated? Not sure if this can cause missed calls/texts or what but it seems like that might be happening.

I almost posted in Sprint general thread, but since I'm running a custom rom I thought it might go better here.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Urfdser posted:

I recently changed my number through Sprint chat. I have an Evo 4g, and in Settings > About Phone > Status it shows the old phone number. I'm using CM7 07-19-2011 Nightly. I ran Network Info II and saw the same old phone number in there.

Google brought me to http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/69423

but dialing that results in a wrong code or number message and I can't find Menu Reset.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the number updated? Not sure if this can cause missed calls/texts or what but it seems like that might be happening.

I almost posted in Sprint general thread, but since I'm running a custom rom I thought it might go better here.

Dial codes don't work in CM7, backup your current install using nandroid and install a Sense (stock) based ROM, then the dial code will work. Make sure you have your MSL, it's unique for a particular phone. Google on how to get it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Ah. thanks. I have the msl from the app that gets it for you.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.esccode.msl&feature=search_result if anyone needs it

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 31, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Urfdser posted:

Ah. thanks. I have the msl from the app that gets it for you.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.esccode.msl&feature=search_result if anyone needs it

Yep, that works great with the EVO, if you have an Epic 4G Touch you need to use a terminal app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1270476

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
CM on the inspire, (and I get the idea, at least other gsm phones as well) the "my phone number" isn't automatically populated, if there's a # there, you would have had to have put it there yourself. cdma different?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

CM on the inspire, (and I get the idea, at least other gsm phones as well) the "my phone number" isn't automatically populated, if there's a # there, you would have had to have put it there yourself. cdma different?
Went back to stock on the Nexus One in an attempt to get Bluetooth to work again and it failed. At this point there's nothing to do except resign to not using a headset until the Galaxy Nexus drops. :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Web Jew.0 posted:

I'm on the "stable" CM7.1 (that's since been downgraded to RC) on my international SGS2: hotspot and video recording works fine for me everyday.

Only issues I have is that the CRT screen-on animation sometimes stops the screen from waking when you unlock (so you'd have to lock then unlock again). This asnt happened since I turned off the animation. Also, GPS is okay but not ideal. Other than that it's very very good.

I'm using the ATT SGSG2. There's a fix for the camera issue that requires clearing out the cache file (like actually deleting it) from the gallery folder, but it didn't work for me. Lots of reports on XDA of it both working and not working.

Tethering on CM7 works if you use the Google provided beta app.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there a setting in CM7 that lets you set certain apps to give certain types of alerts for notifications? for example, I want for my phone to vibrate anytime I get a text message, but to be silent for my other notifications.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

Is there a setting in CM7 that lets you set certain apps to give certain types of alerts for notifications? for example, I want for my phone to vibrate anytime I get a text message, but to be silent for my other notifications.
Yeah, you'll have to play around in the Profiles section. I've never used it except to set it up once and then forget and wonder why my text messages no longer made sounds after which I turned them off. But if it did that, it'll do exactly what you want.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

I did not have this issue on my Inspire. It populated that field with my phone number while I set up CM7 the first time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

trandorian posted:

Wagonburner posted:

I did not have this issue on my Inspire. It populated that field with my phone number while I set up CM7 the first time.
Depends on when you did it. It used to work fine and automatically populate that field and then at some point it stopped doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Fresh ROM for the Evo 3D is coming:
http://geekfor.me/evo3d/3d23/fresh-evo-3d-403/