Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

According to an oldish (1999) document I found, the country with the largest number of American expats is in fact Mexico, followed closely by Canada; I imagine that hasn't changed much in the ensuing years. In terms of percentage of the total population, Bermuda is the highest (and probably still is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Those might still be right at the top but surely the number of expats in Asia has exploded in the past decade and a half?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Koramei posted:

Those might still be right at the top but surely the number of expats in Asia has exploded in the past decade and a half?

According to Wikipedia China and Japan are the only ones in the top 20:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_the_United_States

(The Philippines is at 19 as well I suppose.)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Including Hong Kong and Taiwan would put Greater China at #3, and I know Hong Kong doesn't track dual citizens, so that's only Americans there who don't also have a Hong Kong passport. The HK number is probably much higher and I suspect China and Taiwan are similar.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh I guess there are a lot more temporary expats than I thought then. This article has pretty different figures.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

A lot of American expats are dual citizens, people born to immigrants who later returned to their parents' country, or have some other close relation to the country they are currently living in. This is why the number of American expats in Mexico and the Philippines is so high. So the city with the most American expats is probably Mexico City.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ethiser posted:

I assume New Zealand is too war torn to even be on the map.

Peter Jackson has won numerous awards for his 5 part documentary covering the ongoing conflict.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This map is pretty politically loaded according to your weird astrology friend (and to anyone that isn't the IAU):

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

gently caress you for reminding me that astrology is a thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PittTheElder posted:

I do what I can.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

PittTheElder posted:

Aries spotted

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

computer parts posted:

According to Wikipedia China and Japan are the only ones in the top 20:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_the_United_States

(The Philippines is at 19 as well I suppose.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados

Off topic but not too bad for this thread but I noticed the link for Confederados in Brazil. I had no idea such a thing happened.

quote:

The Confederados (Portuguese pronunciation: [kõfedeˈɾadus]) are an ethnic sub-group in Brazil descended from some 10,000 Confederate Americans who immigrated chiefly to the area of the city of São Paulo, Brazil after the American Civil War. Although many returned to the United States, some remained and descendants of Confederados can be found in many different cities throughout Brazil.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

texaholic posted:

Off topic but not too bad for this thread but I noticed the link for Confederados in Brazil. I had no idea such a thing happened.

I guess a lot of them settled in a town called Americana. Here's the old city flag:

That's a pretty interesting story.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Old James posted:

Peter Jackson has won numerous awards for his 5 part documentary covering the ongoing conflict.
Once again Russia is being obstinate by funding Sauron.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Negative Entropy posted:

Once again Russia is being obstinate by funding Sauron.

All that ethnic cleansing and religous fanatacism isn't doing them any good either.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

I guess a lot of them settled in a town called Americana. Here's the old city flag:

That's a pretty interesting story.

:catstare:

This must be how the Irish feel after seeing an American Saint Patty's day party

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Squalid posted:

:catstare:

This must be how the Irish feel after seeing an American Saint Patty's day party

At least our St. Paddy's day parties aren't celebrating a bunch of racist jerkoffs, I guess.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

texaholic posted:

Growing up in the Deep South, we actually watched a documentary on them in school. It was... interesting to see a Confederado black policeman with all his confederate flags explaining how it was "his heritage too."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Squalid posted:

It's how we feel when you Yanks spell it "Patty" instead of "Paddy" :catstare:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mister Adequate posted:

St. Patrick?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Also known as St. Pádraig :eng101:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There was a time when I wanted to get as much as I could out of my Norwegian background through my mother's side. Then I thought about it some more and just accepted that I'm more than 100 years removed from it just like the other seven nationalities and I'm just a white American.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Star Man posted:

There was a time when I wanted to get as much as I could out of my Norwegian background through my mother's side. Then I thought about it some more and just accepted that I'm more than 100 years removed from it just like the other seven nationalities and I'm just a white American.
Paradoxically, this makes you more Norwegian than most of the people who would identify as Norwegian-American.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mister Adequate posted:

Saint Patty is cool sorry?

edit: Wait did you think american's celebrated Saint Patrick? rofl naw it's Saint Cleopatra of the eastern orthodox or saint Patty as we call her. :cawg:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Saint Patty

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hey, what do you think of politically-loaded maps? :v:

I have this "Ethnographical map of nations and historical regions" map from eurominority.eu just outside my nerd cave. It's pretty cool to stare at all the weird little details, like the kinda-arbitrary decisions about what counts as a nation, but it's cool to see that someone's thinking about cultural minorities.

Frankly I'm surprised every island in the Mediterranean isn't its own nation.

This Peoples of the World map looks like an interesting counterpart, though again the implied accuracy of all the map areas is frustrating. Anyway the maps are $15 shipped to the US, recommended if you want to tell the world "I look at maps!"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This Peoples of the World map looks like an interesting counterpart, though again the implied accuracy of all the map areas is frustrating. Anyway the maps are $15 shipped to the US, recommended if you want to tell the world "I look at maps!"

Is there a larger version of this one available?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eurominority poster shop, includes this zoom-in:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have this "Ethnographical map of nations and historical regions" map from eurominority.eu just outside my nerd cave. It's pretty cool to stare at all the weird little details, like the kinda-arbitrary decisions about what counts as a nation, but it's cool to see that someone's thinking about cultural minorities.

The guy is Breton so cultural minorities is kinda his thing. Outside of Brittany his knowledge is a bit lacking though, so I enjoy reading his Facebook whenever he puts out a new map because he always ends up leaving someone out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Frankly I'm surprised every island in the Mediterranean isn't its own nation.

It's cool to see he went the extra mile for Corsica and even put the historical administrative divisions of the island.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

According to this Dutch news article a guy named Roel Nicolai did a study of 13th century Italian "Portolan charts". These maps were very useful at the time, and historians thought they were most likely made using the observations of sailors. Any possible resemblance to the 16th century Mercator projection was considered a coincidence.

Using digital analysis methods, mr. Nicolai now has proven that this cannot have been a coincidence. The charts were actually made using a Mercator-like projection. However, 13th century Europe did not have the mathematical knowledge to make maps like that and there is no evidence of anything similar before that. Nicolai says it's unlikely that the maps came from Arabia, because they seem to be built up from several maps of smaller areas. It's more likely that they were made during ancient Graeco-Roman times. Around the first century CE, Ptolemy talked about map projections but was unable to use his knowledge to make maps because there wasn't enough data on actual coastlines and locations of cities. Possibly, the Byzantine Empire passed on the maps and they were 'rediscovered' in the 13th century.

However, those are just suggestions. What we know is that there are 13th century maps using a type of projection for which the math wasn't available at the time. It's a mystery where they came from.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradoxically, this makes you more Norwegian than most of the people who would identify as Norwegian-American.

Now I'm curious how that works.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Star Man posted:

Now I'm curious how that works.

Scandinavia has this thing called The Law of Jante that basically states "You're not special and don't think that you are"

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

These maps always greatly overstate the extent of certain minorities. I understand why they do it but I'd like to see a map of minorities which was more 'honest' for comparison.

Anyway; kinda topical:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not to mention this:

I really wonder if Ukraine isn't going to wind up splitting up sometime soon, with a big chunk of the East acceding to Russia. The atrocious way the EU is handling the recession there isn't going to do them any favours.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Not to mention this:

I really wonder if Ukraine isn't going to wind up splitting up sometime soon, with a big chunk of the East acceding to Russia. The atrocious way the EU is handling the recession there isn't going to do them any favours.

Why are there more Russians in Crimea than in the provinces(?) actually bordering Russia?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are there more Russians in Crimea than in the provinces(?) actually bordering Russia?

Crimea was part of Russia between 1783-1991

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Crimea was part of Russia until '54.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Well yeah but acting like the Soviet Union wasn't just a new fancy name for Imperial Russia is a bit laughable.

edit: Still a long goddamn time regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Badger of Basra posted:

In addition to the above, Crimea hosts several major naval bases that Russia leases from the Ukraine, and so there are lots of Russians connected with the military living in Crimea.