Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jivjov posted:

Oh I know. I just personally don't want it in my possession any longer.

remusclaw posted:

Sell it in an ebay lot with a couple of 3rd party D20 books.

If you have a Half Price Books nearby they give a surprisingly good value for used RPG stuff. I actually made money on a crate of old d20 glut when I got rid of it all.

Edit: Really, top of the page? Edited in the posts I was responding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I am incredibly late to the discussion, and only know who Zak S is based off the posts on the last few pages...I've decided that I don't ever want to support him or his endeavours...but I see people mentioning Urban Shadows a lot in relation to him and I'm not seeing his name anywhere in the credits or acknowledgements or anything. Could someone tell me (preferably via PM; I have zero intention of starting a random thread tangent) what exactly his involvement was? From what I've heard about him, it seems worth it to purge the volume from my collection if he's some kind of major contributor.

Magpie Games publushed Urban Shadows. The founder of Magpie Games is Mark Diaz Truman, and he's the person that wrote the blog post that started this whole shebang by being an apologist for Zak S' behavior.

Haystack posted:

Ok, reading the thread I think I have a pretty good idea of Zak's misdeeds as a harasser and demagogue, but I don't have a good feel for what his works are like. Someone want to give an executive overview (or link an article that does)?

I skimmed Vornheim once, and I learned exactly one useful thing from it:

When trying to come up with a basic dungeon layout, roll a d10. Then, write the result as a word, like say TEN

That's your layout - the adventurers start in a corridor from the upper left corner of the T, and the first room is the intersection heading south and east. The room at the bottom of the T is a dead-end, but going to east will take you to another room at the upper left of the E, and so on.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Looking at Cam Banks in the comments of that piece still trying to be nice and conciliatory is really depressing. I mean, the dude has been pretty much the exemplar of the kind of civil behaviour Mark claims to want and look where it's gotten him. He tried being nice to Zak and playing by his rules and it went nowhere. And now a supposed friend and colleague is claiming he's letting down the industry for having the audacity to show solidarity with friends and victims of harassment.

I can believe Mark's post came from a good place but the sheer lack of empathy it displays would be impressive if it weren't gross. Behaving like people's issues with Zak are that he Likes Bad Elfgames or is making good faith attempts at progressive RPG publications that sometimes miss the mark (the basis of his whole "before we criticise the OSR, let us look at our own sins" bit) is amazing in how it trivialises people's actual reasons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Saguaro PI posted:

I can believe Mark's post came from a good place but the sheer lack of empathy it displays would be impressive if it weren't gross.

This is why I'm not inclined to be charitable towards the guy. Like Cirno said, the entire thing led off with him publicly throwing his friend and ostensible colleague under the bus using his company website as a soapbox to do so. Earlier in this discussion someone brought up that maybe opting to part ways with Robert Bohl was a reasonable decision from a "professionalism" standpoint but absolutely nothing about how Diaz has decided to handle this is professional in the slightest. If he does decide to issue some sort of followup I'm expecting the most tepid, anemic, and cowardly attempt to eat his cake and have it too, making sure everyone understands that of course the people who are upset with Zak have their reasons (which he will, of course, not expound upon because that would be rude) and he's very sorry if they were offended by what he said (but not sorry enough to retract it) but that he's still right.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 25, 2016

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Lightning Lord posted:

I hope no one jumps on his back for agreeing it might have been lovely to inadvertently time the walkout to when Stacy Dellorfano was making her speech, and that it's not very good if people are perceiving the walkout to have been about him.

EDIT: I originally misunderstood your statement to have been someone else taking umbrage with Banks because of what he said in the comments of the post. C'est la vie.

It's cool. I haven't posted anything in those comments. I don't blame him for trying to be civil, I just think it's a heartbreaking display in how Doing It Right can just not go anywhere sometimes. And I'm more than a bit annoyed at Mark for acting like Cam Banks, of all people, is an example of Doing It Wrong.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Kai Tave posted:

This is why I'm not inclined to be charitable towards the guy. Like Cirno said, the entire thing led off with him publicly throwing his friend and ostensible colleague under the bus using his company website as a soapbox to do so. Earlier in this discussion someone brought up that maybe opting to part ways with Robert Bohl was a reasonable decision from a "professionalism" standpoint but absolutely nothing about how Diaz has decided to handle this is professional in the slightest. If he does decide to issue some sort of followup I'm expecting the most tepid, anemic, and cowardly attempt to eat his cake and have it too, making sure everyone understands that of course the people who are upset with Zak have their reasons (which he will, of course, not expound upon because that would be rude) and he's very sorry if they were offended by what he said (but not sorry enough to retract it) but that he's still right.

I mean, he's already trying this with that dumb "don't assume I'm defending Zak" bit while also talking about how awesome and feminist and totally not a transphobe Zak is while outright calling honest criticism of his behaviour lies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

If he does decide to issue some sort of followup I'm expecting the most tepid, anemic, and cowardly attempt to eat his cake and have it too
My prediction: Boy, that last thing I wrote sure generated a lot of strong feelings! We should probably all try to cool it a notch or twelve. There's clearly a lot of blame to go around. Things would be so much better if everyone just chilled out and remember that it's all supposed to be about having fun with elf games, not fighting culture wars!

(i.e. "I'm so wise and above it all, harassers and harassees are equally to blame for the current state of events, my gutless kumbaya bluberring makes me the natural heir to King Solomon")

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Threaten to cut the industry in half, whoever quits the internet in disgust is the true heir to Gygax.... But they've left the internet so give it to the lovely guy who's favor I'm inexplicably courting.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Mostly I'm just laughing now because Grimjim came in to the convo on the Magpie games site itself (Comments are, apparently, still open there, if not on Google+) and was all "White supremacists are more sympathetic to me than so-called SJWs!"

GEE I WONDER WHY THAT IS.

Serf
May 5, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Mostly I'm just laughing now because Grimjim came in to the convo on the Magpie games site itself (Comments are, apparently, still open there, if not on Google+) and was all "White supremacists are more sympathetic to me than so-called SJWs!"

I love how he refers to this white nationalist as "open-minded". Y'know those Nazis: always so tolerant of other ideologies and willing to listen to opposing viewpoints.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

FMguru posted:

My prediction: Boy, that last thing I wrote sure generated a lot of strong feelings! We should probably all try to cool it a notch or twelve. There's clearly a lot of blame to go around. Things would be so much better if everyone just chilled out and remember that it's all supposed to be about having fun with elf games, not fighting culture wars!

(i.e. "I'm so wise and above it all, harassers and harassees are equally to blame for the current state of events, my gutless kumbaya bluberring makes me the natural heir to King Solomon")

Okay, I'm gonna fully admit, I'm giving the man the benefit of the doubt, because making a poorly thought out blog post is easy. If you know nothing about the depths of Zak S, then it's easy to pretend that he's just a normal bad actor in our hobby. There are already lots of those.

Given that I made a similar blog post back when livejournal was a thing to a smaller group that didn't matter (deleted because even 20-year-old me realized after the fact that I got too deep in my own head and up my own rear end), I'd rather assume that people are having moments of stupidity and be proven wrong every time in this hobby rather than the alternative of dismissing people as eternal fuckups for their first strike. Call me an optimist.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Fun fact - Mearls has made the exact same argument!

thelazyblank posted:

Okay, I'm gonna fully admit, I'm giving the man the benefit of the doubt, because making a poorly thought out blog post is easy. If you know nothing about the depths of Zak S, then it's easy to pretend that he's just a normal bad actor in our hobby. There are already lots of those.

Given that I made a similar blog post back when livejournal was a thing to a smaller group that didn't matter (deleted because even 20-year-old me realized after the fact that I got too deep in my own head and up my own rear end), I'd rather assume that people are having moments of stupidity and be proven wrong every time in this hobby rather than the alternative of dismissing people as eternal fuckups for their first strike. Call me an optimist.

For me, the thing that separates this - well, other then the fact that Truman isn't some 20 year old on his Livejournal - is that this actively involved making GBS threads on his friend and using him as a vehicle to display his own self-righteousness. This wasn't him just randomly trying to appear above it all and make a bland placation of "can't we all just get along," this involved him intentionally surfing his friend's body through the street. For me, that's what takes this from "well meaning but slightly ignorant" to "actually malicious." You don't get to claim you didn't mean to stir up problems when you just threw your friend into a wood chipper. And I will reiterate - I cannot understand people who see this and remain his friend. He's just shown exactly how little that means.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

ProfessorCirno posted:

For me, the thing that separates this - well, other then the fact that Truman isn't some 20 year old on his Livejournal - is that this actively involved making GBS threads on his friend and using him as a vehicle to display his own self-righteousness. This wasn't him just randomly trying to appear above it all and make a bland placation of "can't we all just get along," this involved him intentionally surfing his friend's body through the street. For me, that's what takes this from "well meaning but slightly ignorant" to "actually malicious." You don't get to claim you didn't mean to stir up problems when you just threw your friend into a wood chipper. And I will reiterate - I cannot understand people who see this and remain his friend. He's just shown exactly how little that means.

Because you get a bug up your rear end. You feel like the world's a bad place and you think one blog post will make everything better. It's dumb, but it's the sign of someone thinking they're having a moment with God or something similar, but instead you're just having a wank and you don't realize it until you're done, there's a mess and now you have to clean up.

It feels good to be self-righteous. When you get in that zone, you think you can do no wrong, despite the fact that you're throwing people under the bus left right and center and you're doing nothing good. Some of us

I'm happy to look like an idiot if he gives some :smuggo: response to all this, and then he'll probably lose my business. But as someone who's done the same poo poo, who's held my own friends to higher standards than I should in an rear end in a top hat manner and felt miserable about it after the fact, I'm giving him a chance. Call me naive for thinking that two to three hours of someone's life doesn't define them as a person, even if they're dumb enough to broadcast it to the entire internet, but this is how I live with the hobby we have, toxicity and all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to admit that I'm giving Truman time to see how he responds to the fallout for pretty much the same reason as thelazyblank: I've done something similar, saying something hurtful under the guise of "can't we just ignore this problem and play games?".

And while I'm just Some Dude on the internet and it was just something I posted to my G+ circles (as opposed to a known industry person making a public statement), it was still a lovely thing for me to say and do. It was Mikan who put me in my place (quite deservedly), because what I said hurt her directly. And this was after she took a chance on me to write for Inverse World so I managed to score the double-rear end in a top hat combo modifier there.

Now, I can sit here and say that my statement was due to overload of seeing bad behavior, or the shitshow I was going through at work at the time, and so on. But at the end of the day I said something ignorant and hurtful, and ended up hurting someone who I respected.

Thank whichever god you care to name that when that happened, I managed to self-examine and realize what I'd done and how bad it was. It's not easy to do, because when someone calls you out on something like this your first instinct is to lock down into defense mode and probably double-down. But while I still regret the hurt I inflicted, I try to take the long view that it was important that it happened, because it helped me understand exactly how what you think is a call to peace is really just being a douche.

So I'm hoping that's what happens here, and that Mark sees how much his post hurt people, and how the difference of what you think you're saying and what you actually said can affect other people.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

thelazyblank posted:

I'm happy to look like an idiot if he gives some :smuggo: response to all this, and then he'll probably lose my business. But as someone who's done the same poo poo, who's held my own friends to higher standards than I should in an rear end in a top hat manner and felt miserable about it after the fact, I'm giving him a chance. Call me naive for thinking that two to three hours of someone's life doesn't define them as a person, even if they're dumb enough to broadcast it to the entire internet, but this is how I live with the hobby we have, toxicity and all.

From what I see here, no one is saying it defines him as a person. Very publicly throwing a comrade under a bus on your business blog is a very, very unprofessional thing to do. If he had an issue with this guy he could have just settled it between the three of them. Instead he wrote a thousand words on how we all need to be nice to each other no matter what.

If you play apologist for the shitheads then you're culpable. It's a pity, I was kinda looking forward to Urban Shadows.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Zurui posted:

From what I see here, no one is saying it defines him as a person. Very publicly throwing a comrade under a bus on your business blog is a very, very unprofessional thing to do. If he had an issue with this guy he could have just settled it between the three of them. Instead he wrote a thousand words on how we all need to be nice to each other no matter what.

If you play apologist for the shitheads then you're culpable. It's a pity, I was kinda looking forward to Urban Shadows.

Making future decisions based on a single flashpoint is defining him in some way. Even if he fully and unreservedly apologizes for talking out of his rear end, it's true that it's going to affect his future business choices and he's going to have to live with that no matter what. It was unprofessional. He might lose future business for it, etc.

But right there, you're saying "I'm not going to buy a thing because someone made a single extremely horrible decision". I can't live like that in this hobby. Jack Norris, one of the people working on the pretty-good Tianxia kickstarter, is a man I once thought was an rear end in a top hat beyond my willingness to give him money. I had multiple conversations with him, and most of them ended with me thinking "wow, he's a jerk". But over time, I've seen him change enough that I felt like buying from him was alright, because we both got older and, while we aren't in the same circles anymore, we both did change.

Maybe I just have a high tolerance for assholery before it affects my business decisions. Maybe I'm too willing to forgive mistakes if the person who does them treat them like mistakes. Everyone has a line they need to draw for themselves on what they feel is boycott worthy. I'm setting that line on what he does next.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That's the power of an apology. I'm not holding my breath for a reversal, though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Mike's response after this will determine whether or not people are going to buy his product, and whether or not people are going to want to be associated with him. I fall under this camp; Urban Shadows looks interesting, but if Mike isn't going to apologize for his actions then I'm going to want nothing to do with him or his products.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

thelazyblank posted:

Making future decisions based on a single flashpoint is defining him in some way. Even if he fully and unreservedly apologizes for talking out of his rear end, it's true that it's going to affect his future business choices and he's going to have to live with that no matter what. It was unprofessional. He might lose future business for it, etc.

But right there, you're saying "I'm not going to buy a thing because someone made a single extremely horrible decision". I can't live like that in this hobby. Jack Norris, one of the people working on the pretty-good Tianxia kickstarter, is a man I once thought was an rear end in a top hat beyond my willingness to give him money. I had multiple conversations with him, and most of them ended with me thinking "wow, he's a jerk". But over time, I've seen him change enough that I felt like buying from him was alright, because we both got older and, while we aren't in the same circles anymore, we both did change.

Maybe I just have a high tolerance for assholery before it affects my business decisions. Maybe I'm too willing to forgive mistakes if the person who does them treat them like mistakes. Everyone has a line they need to draw for themselves on what they feel is boycott worthy. I'm setting that line on what he does next.

The point is that dragging what someone did privately out into the light and publicly shaming them for while glorifying yourself for being an even handed mediator is sort of what Zak S does. And him dissociating himself from a supposed friend scans to me like a very measured business move to court Zak S's rabid OSR supporters.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honestly I kinda suspect he got Zak S'd himself and just doesn't realize how the dude works. Like "Got an tip from someone deniably not Zak that "Hey, your collaborator is going on a real tear against another game dev, that's super unprofessional, maybe you should say something" and since, of course, like half or more of what the guy was replying to was deleted it probably looked like someone having a breakdown.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 25, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The point is that dragging what someone did privately out into the light and publicly shaming them for while glorifying yourself for being an even handed mediator is sort of what Zak S does. And him dissociating himself from a supposed friend scans to me like a very measured business move to court Zak S's rabid OSR supporters.

It's something that he does, but it's not really "what he does."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thelazyblank posted:

Here's the thing, when it comes to elfgames I'm not starved for choice. If I decide I don't want to give Magpie my money after this I'm not cutting off my nose to spite my face and consigning myself to a hell of warmed over 3.5 forever, even if we limit things to *World hacks specifically. I can afford, and am perfectly happy, to not patronize Magpie Games because of "an extremely horrible decision" because there are plenty of publishers who at the very least have the good graces to keep their extremely horrible decisions private instead of smearing someone they claim to be a friend in public like an rear end in a top hat, and in the extremely limited and largely insignificant ways afforded to me as a consumer, I choose not to reward lovely behavior wherever I can.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Mark just posted a short followup: https://plus.google.com/+MarkDiazTruman/posts/2aRBa37wEtf

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

At face value, this looks good. Basically "oh poo poo, I did not know everything that was going on. Lemme reassess a bit"

Serf
May 5, 2011

"Oh well, uhhh hey it looks like I may have really stepped in it here, huh folks? Turns out when you stick up for a serial harasser, people have a lot to say about it."

*wrings hands*

"I'm just gonna need a little more time before I can find an appropriate way to cover my rear end here, so you all just hang tight. Trust me, I've been listening, and and excuses are forthcoming."

*tugs at collar*

"And there's no way I would work with the man I wrote a whole post defending. No way at all. Just gonna slip on out this back door here, no, I'll totally be back soon with a good explanation for all the terrible poo poo I said. Real quick, I'll be right back."

If this dude doesn't actually come up with an apology before the end of the week I'll be pulling my Masks pledge.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I've met and worked with Mark Diaz-Truman, and from my interactions with him, I'm willing to give him a little benefit of the doubt. If he doesn't put up a major apology, and soon, that benefit of the doubt will be extinguished. I can only hope that he had been insulated from Zak S' behavior and action, and thus acted out of ignorance rather than out of tone policing. But time will tell.

No matter whether or not he apologies, I am deeply disappointed and will be more wary of supporting Magpie games in the future.

And for what it's worth, Robert Bohl is a friend of a friend, and I've heard nothing but amazing things about both him and Mispent Youth, so if he winds up self-publishing, I would definitely recommend picking it up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Meinberg posted:

I've met and worked with Mark Diaz-Truman, and from my interactions with him, I'm willing to give him a little benefit of the doubt.

He's unfortunately just yet another well-intentioned, sheltered idiot with geek social fallacy up the wazoo, so regardless of how nice or sensible his opinions normally are, this is the end result. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In other TG industry news:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/12309084/dungeons-dragons-virtual-tabletop-ios-android-tablet-roll20-browser-online

quote:

Roll20, one of the most popular virtual tabletop solutions, will now offer officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons content from Wizards of the Coast. The browser-based software includes both video and voice chat, and even integrates with Google Hangouts. A version will also be available for iOS and Android tablets.

"While Roll20 was designed to play nearly any tabletop game, the spark that pushed us to start the product was Dungeons & Dragons," said Roll20 co-founder Riley Dutton, "Our very name, ‘Roll20’ comes from the concept of a ‘critical hit’ as popularized by D&D. For us, D&D represents an evergreen part of our gaming lives, and to be officially working with its creators and caretakers certainly feels like we’ve made a winning roll."

Originally funded through Kickstarter, Roll20 has experienced incredible growth over the past few years and recently ticked over 1.6 million users. The secret is the ease with which people can join a game. Game masters just send out a web link, and one click later players are looking at a map and ready to roll for initiative.

"This is the simplest way to bring an online group together," the website reads. "You spend more time playing, and less time swearing at firewalls."

The first D&D module available on Roll20 will be Lost Mine of Phandelver, the same module that launched the fifth edition of D&D with the most recent Starter Set. For $19.99 it will include all of the content needed to run the game, including pre-generated character sheets, maps and player tokens. Roll20 says that other licensed content will follow, including the latest D&D adventure module Storm King’s Thunder in September.

"We’re always looking to broaden access to Dungeons & Dragons, and Roll20 already plays a significant part of that expansion," said Greg Tito, communications manager at Wizards of the Coast. "We are excited to see what the future brings."

We spent some time reacquainting ourselves with the Roll20 platform over the last few days. It’s grown so much from its launch a few years ago, both in terms of features and stability. With the addition of these pre-made, officially licensed D&D modules it’s hard to think of a better solution for getting people together and playing traditional RPGs online.

Access to the system is free, with memberships for enhanced features starting at $4.99 a month. There will be a fee for licensed D&D content.

Roll20 is a surprisingly modern solution with plenty of bells and whistles. For instance, video and voice chat are standard. They’re also fully integrated into the system. It’s not a bolted-on solution, or a series of programs requiring multiple screens to make sense of. You, your virtual miniatures on the table and the real-time video feed of the people you’re playing with are all contained inside the browser window.

Parties even have the choice of Roll20’s own integrated video solution or Google Hangouts.

This isn’t the first time that Wizards of the Coast has licensed its content to a virtual tabletop. Just last year it made a splash when it brought D&D to the Steam storefront with the venerable Fantasy Grounds system. But in our opinion the Roll20 solution is a few steps ahead.

One of the latest additions to the platform is a lighter version of the client designed for in-person play on a tablet. Available for free on the iOS and Android app stores, they give game masters powerful tools for organizing their campaign and taking it on the road.

D&D is currently experiencing a growth spurt of its own thanks in no small part to the proliferation of Twitch and YouTube streaming. It’s something we’ll be chatting with their team about at this year’s Gen Con in Indianapolis. Polygon’s coverage begins next week.

I'm surprised they did this considering they're already also licensed to Fantasy Grounds.

I imagine FG was probably far too expensive to have made an impact.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At the least it's a move that both makes financial sense and jibes with WotC's current "gently caress it, let's just be lazy and subcontract everything" policy. In this case, they've got a ready-made platform that requires little effort on any given actor, which for them is a nice contrast to the headaches of the previous digital initiatives of 4E and 5E. (DDI still made them a fair bit of money, but likely not as much as they wanted due to certain features getting shelved after the infamous murder-suicide of a developer.)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Fantasy Grounds is loving awful in my experience, at least with 5E. I've played in a few sessions of it and every time we have to spend quite a bit of time just getting the drat thing to work. Corrupt cache files, connection problems, figuring out the weird interface, etc.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I saw that, and couldn't help but think that this is going to lead to Roll20 monetizing playing D&D in some way. I'm not sure how they would, and maybe that's unfair to WotC. Their not GW, but I vaguely remember them doing stuff crappy in the past in this vein.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Foolster41 posted:

I saw that, and couldn't help but think that this is going to lead to Roll20 monetizing playing D&D in some way. I'm not sure how they would, and maybe that's unfair to WotC. Their not GW, but I vaguely remember them doing stuff crappy in the past in this vein.

I don't think it's going to be any better or worse than Roll20 currently is. They have their special galleries which already have a cost, they have subscriptions for better features, they already monetize playing RPGs on there in useful but not required ways. If they start charging people to try and play DnD, the most likely result is a lot of people filing their games under Pathfinder or Other while using homemade macros to keep playing their DnD games for free if they so desire.

They could try locking that down, but it's so easy to start a new game that I doubt the effort would be worth it for Roll20. I also doubt they're getting a big enough cut from the sales to police this willingly, because that's less money for WotC.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Digital modules that are compatible with roll20 are a great idea. Especially if they find some way to implement premade tokens and maps for the campaign. I could see that becoming a huge selling point of running games in roll20 and even encourage other companies to make similar digital products.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah a module with all the assets you would need on roll20 is a great business idea. Whether you can sell enough to make back your expenses is something we probably won't find out for a while though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah a module with all the assets you would need on roll20 is a great business idea. Whether you can sell enough to make back your expenses is something we probably won't find out for a while though.

The upside of roll20 modules is they'd be account-tied, too, I imagine. So you couldn't buy one module and share it like a pdf or share/sell like a physical book. Port the module and assets, make sure it all works and put it up on a web store for as long as you please. People might even buy them just to have nice high-quality (I hope) tokens and maps for all their games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

The upside of roll20 modules is they'd be account-tied, too, I imagine. So you couldn't buy one module and share it like a pdf or share/sell like a physical book. Port the module and assets, make sure it all works and put it up on a web store for as long as you please. People might even buy them just to have nice high-quality (I hope) tokens and maps for all their games.

Yep. Roll20 sells modules like this already, the big announcement is the official D&D adventures are being presented as one. I don't buy them, but from what I've seen of them they look pretty great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Vornheim...it just popped up in the current Bundle
Of Holding.

On a whim, I contacted the BoH Facebook page and suggested they not give Zak S any exposure due to his actions. Sadly, the canned response I got back was "Vornheim the book isn't objectionable and has provoked no complaints."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Fantasy Grounds is loving awful in my experience, at least with 5E. I've played in a few sessions of it and every time we have to spend quite a bit of time just getting the drat thing to work. Corrupt cache files, connection problems, figuring out the weird interface, etc.

That was pretty much my experience as well. FG is okay if you're like playing absolutely by the book since everything is laid out and precalculated for you, but roll20 is so much more plug-and-play.

Foolster41 posted:

It'll be fine I think. If they ever price it too high people will just go back to using roll20 as a whiteboard, shared dice roller and voice chat connectivity.

• Locked thread