Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone else who is using Dead Air finding it hard to find a scope for your gun? I've not been able to make it out of Rostok yet (Wild Territory is completely filled with noxious fumes it seems, I am going to need an oxygen tank to get through), but I can't even find the most basic scope to go with my gun. All I was hoping for was a PU scope that I could whack on my SVT-40 so I didn't have to rely on iron sights any more.

Is there a way to change the trader files so they have at least some chance of showing up? I can keep the more advanced ones like ACOG's and the like as very rare or impossible to get off regular traders, but I would like to have a chance of finding at least some of the older style ones that you can put on old WWII rifles and AK weapons.

Edit: Nevermind, I just added the line in to the trader file. I don't think I'll be getting to Beard anytime soon, so I'll only be adding the PU scope in.

Also, took a trip to the Scientists. So far they buy everything except for Snork Hands, Rat Carcasses, Dosimeters and Echo detectors. And they pay pretty much twice what the Barman does, so save up your mutant parts, buy an oxygen tank, and brave your way through the Wild Territory. The cash from the trips alone makes it worthwhile, but be prepared to get unleashed on through the Wild Territory. It's incredibly dangerous.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone else who is using Dead Air finding it hard to find a scope for your gun? I've not been able to make it out of Rostok yet (Wild Territory is completely filled with noxious fumes it seems, I am going to need an oxygen tank to get through), but I can't even find the most basic scope to go with my gun. All I was hoping for was a PU scope that I could whack on my SVT-40 so I didn't have to rely on iron sights any more.

Is there a way to change the trader files so they have at least some chance of showing up? I can keep the more advanced ones like ACOG's and the like as very rare or impossible to get off regular traders, but I would like to have a chance of finding at least some of the older style ones that you can put on old WWII rifles and AK weapons.

Edit: Nevermind, I just added the line in to the trader file. I don't think I'll be getting to Beard anytime soon, so I'll only be adding the PU scope in.

Also, took a trip to the Scientists. So far they buy everything except for Snork Hands, Rat Carcasses, Dosimeters and Echo detectors. And they pay pretty much twice what the Barman does, so save up your mutant parts, buy an oxygen tank, and brave your way through the Wild Territory. The cash from the trips alone makes it worthwhile, but be prepared to get unleashed on through the Wild Territory. It's incredibly dangerous.

A less deadly way to Yantar is via the Agroprom area. You can reach it easily enough via the road behind the bandit railway yard base in Garbage, but I think you can also get to it through a route near the farmstead in Cordon. I used these routes because I didn't get myself the air tanks from Barman. Agroprom is chock full of mutants and there are pockets of high radiation close to the actual map change part.

I can definitely only play Anomaly if I restart my computer each time it crashes and only then if I'm fast and it's the first thing I open once it's booted up. Any idea why this would be happening? It's doing something funky to my computer and I wish it wouldn't, because it's a ton of fun. I selected the Azazel option when playing, so I think when it's crashing from that, it's because there's a missing Monolith suit or something when it's trying to respawn me as a monolith NPC. So far I'm liking it a little more than Dead Air. I've been ripping weapons and armour apart to get their sweet, sweet components. I've stabbed a bloodsucker to death and I've also spent the afternoon clearing out the Freedom base that's also populated with bandits for some reason. The Duty Colonel tasked me with securing the base for Duty, but didn't think to give me any support...

It's not as atmospheric as Dead Air is and it's quite vibrant. The NPCs can spot you through foliage from a crazy distance and it doesn't look like the sneak is as good as it is in Dead Air. They've nailed the stamina though. It's fine and actually recharges when you're just walking. It only decreases when you're running under load. The maps you find don't reveal anomalies or stash locations, but that's much of a muchness. I haven't tried to repair my equipment yet so I've still got that to look forward to. I think the furthest I've traveled is to the railway shed in Garbage and the Freedom base and I've already killed 55 stalkers. The best moment has still been the running gun battle between the bandits and loners when I first started. Good times.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yep, you're 100% correct about going via Agroprom. It's a much safer route, and you don't need air tanks for it. You can also buy a trip to Yantar from the Barkeeper in Rostok if you have the immersive fast travel mod installed, but you can't buy one back out, so Agroprom is your better option.

I'd recommend going via Agroprom on the way out because I found that from Yantar into Wild Territory I had to go through the tunnel with all the fire anomalies in it. That hosed my suit up something huge, and on my first attempt through it degraded so quickly I stopped halfway through and couldn't keep going due to being overloaded. The solution was to not equip my oxygen tanks until I had got through, keeping my Travel Backpack on, and repairing as much of my stuff as I could on the other side, switch to the tanks and then keep as low a weight as possible to continue. With hindsight I'll now go the other way around, as I've already cleared out the top side of Agroprom of Military, and the Duty base is pretty much empty due to the constant mutant attacks.

Also, the Sunrise Suit the Ecologists sell is better than the regular ones you can buy, but costs 75,000 ru. I made so much cash from my trip I didn't even mind, so I bought one of them. I'd recommend saving your rubles up to buy one of these instead of the regular ones if you can afford it, as it has much better protections from the zone than the other.

Edit: When leaving X-16, I am not sure if this happens in other games, but there is a whole stack of Military members outside, shooting up the place, and they immediately aggro on me. If you shoot them, you then aggro the Ecologists. I am not sure how to get out now without being killed by all of them concentrating their fire on me. I've installed the no-aggro addon from the files site, but it doesn't seem to work. So I reloaded all the way back in the Bar in Rostok where you can get info on where to buy a 5 day truce with the Military. Hopefully, once I've left X-16, this will make them less likely to want to shoot me, and I can get out ok.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 28, 2018

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I thought I downloaded and installed Dead Air correctly (downloaded the three .bin files and the exe and ran the exe to install them), but it crashes when I try to do anything after launching it, like change the screen size or switch the language to English.

e: Nevermind, just had to run it as admin. Next question: Where do I put the English translation files exactly? I tried a few different places and it doesn't seem to make any difference when I switch the language in the settings.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 29, 2018

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

The English translation 0.3.7 file should be in a "gamedata" folder that you put in the main directory folder of your "Dead Air" installation.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
(Anomaly) Probably the easiest start, for me, anyway, is the Ecologists, with the extra aomaly patch, get the artifact tongs, run around snatching up loots, do some jobbies for professor sugars, bam, loadsa rubbles, get the scientist guard suit, bam, 3 slots, keep an eye out for lobster eyes. before you go places away from yantar, decant any artifacts you are not using, and whenever you find one, pop it into a container to avoid clicking too much.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's the deal with modders wanting to make artifacts have crippling downsides that make them near useless?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Cause otherwise you load up a Soul, Mama's Beads, Crystal Thorn, and a ton of Moonlight/Sparklers and break the game as you marathon Sprint through Not Ukraine.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

AGGGGH BEES posted:

What's the deal with modders wanting to make artifacts have crippling downsides that make them near useless?

Possibly to slightly slow you down before you become the zone ubermench? the whole "must be in a case so you don't melt down" idea is allright so far, juggling rads and stamina, plus needing to eat and drink sometimes does make it a little more challenging, but once you have a basic idea what you are doing, you can piss fire and poo poo success.
E: I dunno how, but those duty guys in army warehouses managed to turboplow through a bunch of freedom and monolith, with me running behind looting everything, then buying booze and atirads while i stumble around looking for a container to dump all my crap into. result : duty exo, not worn, broken or rusted, and a few guns, fn2000 was worn, sadly, but I got plenty of other junk. now back to the good professor,

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 29, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What's the best vanilla+ SoC mod to recommend for a new player these days?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
nvm

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm playing dead air, crawling through the loving great swamp to get a 12kg box of dildos for sidorovich, nearly dead, thinking to myself that every mod in the misery school where a first aid kit that heals 1/3 of your health costs 2 months' pay should have a doctor somewhere on each map to just patch you up for money outside the "lol medkits are scarce, expensive, and BAD" game when I stumble into a trailer in the middle of nowhere and who's inside but Doctor, the Doctor, ready to patch me up for free. I guess the wish granter is real after all....

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

poverty goat posted:

What's the best vanilla+ SoC mod to recommend for a new player these days?

Autumn Aurora 2 imho. It has ZRP (albeit a slightly old version) and an ENB built-in.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, there I am, chilling with the good Prof, while he wanders around probably stoned or on coke, waiting for him to put his professor socks on and bling bling my psy helmet technobucket,
and This happens.
The struggle is real.
(Edit: )

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 30, 2018

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Autumn Aurora 2 imho. It has ZRP (albeit a slightly old version) and an ENB built-in.

Seconded. Aa2 is a very quality mod with good weapons, balanced damage, and I quite like the art style it uses.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

I don't know what the source is, but it magically started the bandit music in my head :allears:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Morter posted:

I don't know what the source is, but it magically started the bandit music in my head :allears:

it's pretty bandity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocW3fBqPQkU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdG0jw1SRA

Shamelessly stealing from the Awful/Awesome Mods thread.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

never would have thought this was what i needed in my life all along

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

No spectre as bloodsucker or archvile as controller?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do they even spawn in agropom?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do they even spawn in agropom?

Well underneath, but yeah. First time you see both, if memory serves.

e: But I guess doom can't do underground, really.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Pfft. THIS is a Stalker game of the 90s!

I have no idea who made this or where it came from. I also have never found a complete playthrough. Apparently it's on the archive.org site if someone wants to get in on that hot janky pixelly let's play action.

I love the flailing walking animation, though.

Also why the hell is a bright red bandana with polka dots not a clothing option in any of the modern games.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

So, I finally got to retry going through the Lab in Yantar, after paying for a truce with the Military. It worked :D Came out the other side and instead of their being a massive force waiting for me, I was able to get out easily. I could also go talk to some of them if I wanted, and do missions for them, but I didn't have any of the stuff they wanted. It was good enough on its own that I didn't wreck my faction standing with them or the Ecologists by getting into a gunfight with them. While the truce is still on I might head to the Military Complex to the North of Rostok and see what I can find to do around there. After that I'll likely sell a bunch of stuff and relocate to the Skadavosk and see what adventures I can do around that area. I need to see if this game has Nimble making guns again, and whether you can choose what you buy from him this time around.

Edit: The Army Warehouses in Dead Air... My god. If you've got this game and haven't gone there, go check it out.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 5, 2018

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

So, I finally got to retry going through the Lab in Yantar, after paying for a truce with the Military. It worked :D Came out the other side and instead of their being a massive force waiting for me, I was able to get out easily. I could also go talk to some of them if I wanted, and do missions for them, but I didn't have any of the stuff they wanted. It was good enough on its own that I didn't wreck my faction standing with them or the Ecologists by getting into a gunfight with them. While the truce is still on I might head to the Military Complex to the North of Rostok and see what I can find to do around there. After that I'll likely sell a bunch of stuff and relocate to the Skadavosk and see what adventures I can do around that area. I need to see if this game has Nimble making guns again, and whether you can choose what you buy from him this time around.

Edit: The Army Warehouses in Dead Air... My god. If you've got this game and haven't gone there, go check it out.

I mentioned the warehouses in one of my earlier posts. It was perfectly done, especially because I wasn't expecting what I found there and it kept me on edge the whole time. Dead Air really nails the ambiance and atmosphere of the maps.

In Anomaly I'm waiting to find a Clear Sky outfit in good condition so I can wear it as a disguise. Clear Sky dislikes Duty killing Mercs, so I want to see what happens if it looks like Clear Sky is killing Mercs and if it makes those two factions hostile to each other. I'd rather not have to deal with Clear Sky bozos just because of their relationship with the Mercs. Also, don't underestimate the effectiveness of an explosive barrel. I managed to kill about 7 bandits (out of 9) at the cost of 3 bullets. One barrel caused another to detonate and really helped thin out the numbers I was up against.

An idea on where my best chances of finding the tool kits for the mechanics are? I've only found 2 expert kits in stashes, the rest always seem to be a rusty rifle barrel and some busted up ammo and nothing else.

I'm still having issues when playing Anomaly. If the computer is booted up for longer than about a minute, the game simply does not run. I don't get that error sound from Windows and the anomaly splash title screen thing doesn't show up either. The mouse cursor makes the spinning blue wheel for a few seconds then nothing. If I open Anomaly from a fresh reboot, the game runs pretty well. Is there a program or something in Windows that's blocking it from starting? I recall there might have been a funky registry setting that was a problem for CoP. None of my other games have the problem and Dead Air ran every time, so I have no idea what's stopping me from loading Anomaly. It's really doing my head in now.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

I mentioned the warehouses in one of my earlier posts. It was perfectly done, especially because I wasn't expecting what I found there and it kept me on edge the whole time. Dead Air really nails the ambiance and atmosphere of the maps.

I went back and read it. I should have been paying more attention as it was a reply to one of mine. Sorry bout that Chief...

And you're absolutely right about it. For me it was a Chimera, about 15+ cats and a lone Poltergeist who seemed lonely and followed me around moaning, but not actually attacking. But the layout of the base and the feeling inside it was amazing.

I decided I'd take a trip to the Skadavosk to hang out with the old crew. They weren't as inviting as I had found them on other occasions, and the atmosphere was a bit hard to take in, so I decided on the outpost in Jupiter. Was a much more inviting place, and they have the guns and supplies I was looking for. I am thinking of switching over from the TOZ-34 to a Mossberg, as I often need more than two shots, and the gun is pretty deadly. No quick double shots like the Toz, but the extra ammo helps out a lot.

I am liking a lot of the scopes available in this mod, especially for the SMG's. I shot a random Monolith and found he was toting a nice Galil carbine, so I am going to see what I can work get done with that. The ammo for NATO guns is hideously expensive, so I am just stockpiling good ammo and selling the old until I find a gun I want to use from here on out. The SVT-40 is a great gun with cheap ammo, but the upgrades are a bit lackluster and I need something which handles better and has less sway to it.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 7, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fall Dog posted:

Also, don't underestimate the effectiveness of an explosive barrel. I managed to kill about 7 bandits (out of 9) at the cost of 3 bullets. One barrel caused another to detonate and really helped thin out the numbers I was up against.

Best mod i ever made was allowing me to pick up fuel barrels and those acetylene tanks. Really helped with the random cross faction assassinations
That and modding the sound file for guys yelling "grenada!" to that with yakkity sax added on so it was quite comical watching the guys sprinting around in a panic

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 8, 2018

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

im really impressed with how much that looks like agroprom, but they didn't add enough enemies to make it like the real thing

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The movie Chernobyl Diaries got released on Netflix recently. lovely horror movie, so I've heard.

UWBW and I are totally going to get some sausages and lovely vodka to play that drinking game. UWBW can even play the bandit music on the accordion, and I have some hazmat gear.

Need tracksuits.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 12, 2018

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Missing Name posted:

The movie Chernobyl Diaries got released on Netflix recently. lovely horror movie, so I've heard.

UWBW and I are totally going to get some sausages and lovely vodka to play that drinking game. UWBW can even play the bandit music on the accordion, and I have some hazmat gear.

Need tracksuits.

It /is/ lovely, but I dunno - I really liked it. Its good where it needs to be.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
looks like a giggle,
I just got beautifully pwnt by some monolith cockend boobytrapping himself and grenade suiciding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYpSg4n6lGo

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 25, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm kind of feeling like I want to play some STALKER again, but I don't want to just run through SoC/CS/CoP again. What are my options if I want something that "feels like STALKER" but reworks the maps, story, etc? Is it just Call of Chernobyl?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm kind of feeling like I want to play some STALKER again, but I don't want to just run through SoC/CS/CoP again. What are my options if I want something that "feels like STALKER" but reworks the maps, story, etc? Is it just Call of Chernobyl?

I quite enjoyed Lost Alpha, if you're looking for a freshish take on Shadow of Chernobyl.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Lost Alpha is certainly different. I don't think I ever finished it just because moving from place to place takes so long, but it's kinda neat to have a trunk you can dump your stuff in whenever you want.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I've suddenly hit a huge difficulty wall in Dead Air. Been playing for something like an ingame month and now all of a sudden I can't take two steps in the Swamps without running into a pack of three pseudodogs, five army guys or seven loving bloodsuckers. It was at least funny in Army Warehouses seeing them all manage to kill themselves in the exact same electric anomoly, but now I'm effectively cut off from the Clear Sky village.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Appoda posted:

Lost Alpha is certainly different. I don't think I ever finished it just because moving from place to place takes so long, but it's kinda neat to have a trunk you can dump your stuff in whenever you want.

The game changes quite a bit once you find a car.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Indeed -- hence why I mentioned the trunk. The game still had some obscenely long driving sections, which while neat for being different, they were sometimes placed in locations you'd have to travel through multiple times. Anomalies on the roads all of the time and at the beginning/end of transition areas are a pain in the butt too.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
i thought dead air felt weird and it turns out it's just the misery devs adding stuff to call of misery like the yantar death air and putting ammo on your belt. motherfuckers. i've been tricked into playing call of misery except with more annoying features. this just makes me want to find out how to get anomaly working without crashing so hard after 5 minus i have to restart my computer

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

i thought dead air felt weird and it turns out it's just the misery devs adding stuff to call of misery like the yantar death air and putting ammo on your belt. motherfuckers. i've been tricked into playing call of misery except with more annoying features. this just makes me want to find out how to get anomaly working without crashing so hard after 5 minus i have to restart my computer

Maybe you should first look up what a mod is this time before playing anomaly and running the risk of catching call of misery all over again, the horror, because you didn't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
i like call of misery considerably more than i do dead air just because it has less feature bloat that doesn't add anything to the game for the same experience