Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Anomen has two downsides, imo:

1) He's an insufferable bellend, at least before you complete his quest, though if you're purely min-maxing this doesn't matter
2) 10 dex is not ideal for a front-line fighter.

Since you have Minsc and CHARNAME the kensai/mage I'm not sure your party needs more front-line brawlers. And for my money spell resistance is much better than physical stats like AC or HP because, as a general rule, spellcasters are what will murder you in this game, not fighter classes.

He's a perfectly good choice though. You could then spec Minsc into axes for the Axe of the Unyielding late-game, which is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Anomen's dex weakness matters less in BG2 because by the endgame everything hits you no matter what your AC is, and because unless you're an archer, ranged attacks are significantly weaker than melee attacks. Yeah he's immature and annoying before you do his alignment quest, but when the alternative is literally turning into a cthulhu every so often just so that the cultist will decide you're evil enough for her, I don't think there's much moral high ground to fuss about the guy's personality. I agree that the magic resistance is useful in theory, but at best it's a coin flip to keep everything from going to pot, while the extra hp buffer works every time you need it, and you will need it if you're running a frontline cleric.

Oh another thing Anomen has going for him is that his alignment lets him use the good aligned cleric spells like Holy Smite, those are really good. As you say, either cleric will work, but I think I'd give Anomen the edge here.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I wasn't really making a moral high ground claim though of course you can redeem Viconia through the power of hot lovin' if you so choose. Just pointing out that he's really annoying until the quest is done. But as you say, either is fine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zephro posted:

I wasn't really making a moral high ground claim though of course you can redeem Viconia through the power of hot lovin' if you so choose. Just pointing out that he's really annoying until the quest is done. But as you say, either is fine.

Can you romance more than one NPC or does that cause problems? Exactly how much of a fantasy is this fantasy game!?

If Minsc went Axe of the Unyielding what would be a good off hander for him, presuming pc goes crom faeyr / belm?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh sure, I was more joking about the goofy stuff you can do to mess with your reputation in this game. Speaking of which, there IS at least one hilarious trick you can do with Viconia that you can't with Anomen, if you have a low-wisdom mage make a bad wish and conjure a bunch of hostile vampires, Viconia can dominate them all with her evil-variety turn undead, and have a big ol' vampire party. This is the best way I know of to level-drain enemies, which a lot of fights are absolutely not built to handle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am a little perplexed as to why people talk about Viconia's con score being so low. It is low (7, if memory serves), but that is not low enough to take a HP penalty, you just get no bonus and con in the BG games means nothing apart from HP bonus or penalty and regen for those with incredibly high con - correct me if I am wrong. She still gets 1d8 HP per level up to and including level 10, after which she is a fixed 2 per level. So, at most she loses out on 20 HP as clerics have a maximum of 2 bonus HP per level up until 10. Granted, that is a significant amount, but I think people are just spoiled because most other characters in the game have bonuses. If you play without max HP per level then that is more significant, but the way people talk about her you would think that if she even takes a swing in melee she will pass out, and if an enemy swings at her and misses she will catch pneumonia from the breeze and die gasping in 1d4 rounds. If they actually hit her she presumably explodes in a supernova of frail drow angst and annihilates the known universe.

No doubt that Anomen in 2 and Yeslick and Branwen in 1 are better "fighting clerics", but I think that people are being a bit melodramatic. I think that the abundance of exceptional scores and the fact that the main character in these games never has less than 16 con just make "so-so" look "terrible" She is a caster cleric while Anomen is a brawler, and I think it is great that such a contrast exists.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, here's what I'm thinking then:

PC fighter/mage gish with crom faeyr and an offhand (belm or zerth blade)

Minsc with either Axe of Unyielding and (?) off hand OR a good two hander (lilarcor just for comedy?)

Anomen with flail of ages and, I suppose, a shield?

Viconia with sling of seeking and a girdle of strength (? for melee)

Jan for thief skills that progress and illusionist magic

Imoen for even more magic and maybe ranged shortbow?

Any suggestions for filling in those question marks appreciated.
----------------

Past that, second set of questions:

Just from skimming walkthroughs I've gathered that you can do a lot of the quests either early or late. Given that party I take it there are specific quests I should beeline -- the obvious ones are "Collect those party members and weapons and do their personal quests" but are there any others that are particularly worth doing as early as possible, or should I just grab party ->mainquest ASAP and do everything in the late game?

gently caress I don't even remember if this thing has level scaling or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can you romance more than one NPC or does that cause problems? Exactly how much of a fantasy is this fantasy game!?

Can't romance more than one NPC without mods, sorry.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Anomen is such a punk I make a point to insult and murder him every play through.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Ok, here's what I'm thinking then:

PC fighter/mage gish with crom faeyr and an offhand (belm or zerth blade)

Minsc with either Axe of Unyielding and (?) off hand OR a good two hander (lilarcor just for comedy?)

Anomen with flail of ages and, I suppose, a shield?

Viconia with sling of seeking and a girdle of strength (? for melee)

Jan for thief skills that progress and illusionist magic

Imoen for even more magic and maybe ranged shortbow?

Any suggestions for filling in those question marks appreciated.
----------------

Past that, second set of questions:

Just from skimming walkthroughs I've gathered that you can do a lot of the quests either early or late. Given that party I take it there are specific quests I should beeline -- the obvious ones are "Collect those party members and weapons and do their personal quests" but are there any others that are particularly worth doing as early as possible, or should I just grab party ->mainquest ASAP and do everything in the late game?

I think Anomen and Viconia in the same team is overkill. I'd just take one and throw in Jaheira if you want a melee presence who also brings divine casting or Keldorn if you want melee that just shatters the difficulty.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I prefer to do the main quest ASAP (I do the de'Arnise Hold and Yoshimo's sidequest first to gather the neccessary resources and the Flail of Ages (and because Yoshimo becomes unavailable later)) so that Imoen doesn't fall too far behind in levels, if I plan to have her in my party. Or, you know, you could EE keeper her to catch up when she joins if you don't mind that.

E: Most companions can be picked up without doing their specific quests, unless you rest / idle a lot before going on with the main plot. Their side quest timers are, as far as I know, put on hold as long as you are away from the opportunity to do their quests.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 12, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Metal Meltdown posted:

I think Anomen and Viconia in the same team is overkill. I'd just take one and throw in Jaheira if you want a melee presence who also brings divine casting or Keldorn if you want melee that just shatters the difficulty.

OK, how about this:

PC with Crom Faeyr and offhand (belm or zerth blade) mage gish

Minsc with ?

Keldorn with a nice big paladin sword like Carsomyr

Anomen with Flail of Ages and I guess a shield

Jan

Imoen & Substitute Imoen

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 12, 2015

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Minsc naturally has two-hander and mace pips so he's a good candidate for Lilarcor in the early game, the vorpal sword later, and the mace of disruption as needed. The EE makes the +2 mace of disruption hit as a +5 weapon so it's one of the best weapons in the game even through TOB.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS

Draile posted:

Minsc naturally has two-hander and mace pips so he's a good candidate for Lilarcor in the early game, the vorpal sword later, and the mace of disruption as needed. The EE makes the +2 mace of disruption hit as a +5 weapon so it's one of the best weapons in the game even through TOB.

Mace of disruption is also really fun to instablast dace (or any other vampires) in the asylum when he fails his save.

Also, why does no one mention the celestial fury for offhanding (or main handing for that matter). The chance to stun + the wacky bonus damage is really nice.

Whats a good setup for an evil party? I want to MC either the evil paladin or a dwarf defender dual wielding axes.

I know at least 3 slots Korgan and viconia and edwin but after that I am all ??????'s

Also, there is a + 2 mace you can get that sets str to 18/50 or 18/75 or something so you could also give that to viconia if you want her to pound stuff.

Or if you want to pound her...
:pervert:

Booyah fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A balanced evil party with a heavy frontliner MC such as your blackguard or Dwarven Defender would probably be Korgan for a second tank, Viconia for cleric magic, Edwin for arcane magic, Jan for thief stuff and backup arcane, and you can fill the last slot with anyone you want. I dunno, Cernd for giggles.

OK, how about this:

Minsc with ?

This is a fine setup. As a ranger, Minsc gets two free points in dual-wielding, so I usually take him down that road. Katanas, scimitars, longswords, maces, and axes are all viable dual-wielding options.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 12, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He could also pick up Hexxat if he wants.

Edit: VVV Ah fair enough.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 12, 2015

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
CF is wasted in the offhand and enemies tend to make their save late BG2/ToB.

Booyah posted:

Also, why does no one mention the celestial fury for offhanding (or main handing for that matter). The chance to stun + the wacky bonus damage is really nice.

Whats a good setup for an evil party? I want to MC either the evil paladin or a dwarf defender dual wielding axes.

I know at least 3 slots Korgan and viconia and edwin but after that I am all ??????'s

If playing a Blackguard, Korgan (replace with Sarevok in ToB), Viconia, Jan, Edwin, and Haer'Dalis. If playing a DD, take Dorn over Korgan if possible.

FauxGateau posted:

He could also pick up Hexxat if he wants.

Single class thieves are not so hot until they get HLAs, which probably won't be until ToB in a 6 person party.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Didn't they change it so that all traps are AoE now and not just the Bounty Hunter variety? Because those sorts of traps are seriously underrated.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I really love how the first response you can have to Anomen is to laugh in his face and ask if he's for real.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You can spend hours fine tuning your party and it won't make a huge amount of difference. There are a lot of overpowered combos in BG and you kinda just have to play through a bunch and try them all out.

Personally I'm a big fan of melee damage in BG2 so in the Keldorn-variant party I'd swap Minsc for either Valygar or Haer'Dalis with Celestial Fury mainhand and Kundane offhand.

Defender of Easthaven would make a better offhand for Anomen too. You'll want to up his APR as much as possible with flail of ages.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

OK, how about this:

PC with Crom Faeyr and offhand (belm or zerth blade) mage gish

Minsc with ?

Keldorn with a nice big paladin sword like Carsomyr

Anomen with Flail of Ages and I guess a shield

Jan

Imoen & Substitute Imoen

Want real advice? Stop worrying and just play the game. It's not worth to min-max your party in BG2, the game isn't too difficult to begin with. The personality of an NPC is far more important than his or her effectiveness in combat, and you won't find out who you like and who you hate without playing the game.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Booyah posted:

I did a kensai/mage on my most recent run with longsword/katana. I used celestial fury in the main hand until late in TOB when I switched it to offhand.

Celestial fury is easily the second-best weapon in Shadows of Amn, but it loses usefulness in Throne of Bhaal because of the excellent crafted weapons and because the +3 bonus isn't enough to hit a number of major enemies. It also has limited value as an off-hand weapon because its abilities are on-strike and the off-hand only gets one attack per round. The best off-hand weapons add passive bonuses that will apply regardless of how many attacks they get.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Smol posted:

Want real advice? Stop worrying and just play the game. It's not worth to min-max your party in BG2, the game isn't too difficult to begin with. The personality of an NPC is far more important than his or her effectiveness in combat, and you won't find out who you like and who you hate without playing the game.
I agree with this but can't resist arguing that giving Flail to Anomen is a waste when your PC is going to be a Hasted, Tensers'd, Time Stopped melee wrecking ball.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Smol posted:

This is becoming more and more obvious to me as I play, speaking as someone who was sweating party min-maxing not a week or two ago. So many high-end encounters come down to to cheesy tactics anyway so it's not like you're going to screw yourself too bad by just playing with NPC personalities you like. The party interactions and sidequests seem to be the bread and butter of "the story" anyway.

It's a single-player game, if you "cheat" you only "cheat" yourself. If you're sperging out about a pip or a stat just use a utility or CLUA console to set things up how you like so you can move on and own some dragon face.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Smol posted:

What if . . . min-maxing is part of the fun for me?!?!??! MIND BLOWN

I've played BG 2 before but it was over a decade ago. One of the few things I remember is that it annoyed me my party had all sorts of great top-end weapons they couldn't use because who with any AD&D experience would ever specialize in (for example) Flail?

Zephro posted:

I agree with this but can't resist arguing that giving Flail to Anomen is a waste when your PC is going to be a Hasted, Tensers'd, Time Stopped melee wrecking ball.

Heh. I thought about that when I made the character, but there's a dearth of good flails in BG 1, and this is about a unified playthrough with the same character, without using a hack or utility. Same reason I ended up picking Berserker rather than Kensai -- Kensai is the better pick for BG 2 but playing one in BG 1 would be painful.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 12, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Doing an Ironman on core rules (not rerolling hps) with a lawful evil halfling barbarian right now and it's pretty fun. Got me + Dorn/VIconia/Montaron/Xzar/Edwin

Kinda steamrolling most enemies so far. WIth the claw of kazgaroth plus being a halfling my saves are just through the roof. I'm going for scimitars for bg1 since I plan to kill Drizzt and it would be a shame to let those go to waste. I think one of them is good only alignment but there's a sneaky fix for that since the Death Knight in Durlag's drops a helm of opposite alignment now. Pop that baby on and my Halfling will have two diesel weapons. Of course that's a bit of a wait but both of Drizzt's scimitars are strong so it won't be a big deal.

By bg2 I'll be using flail of the ages/defender of easthaven which will pretty much be my combo all the way to the end. Between that and the human leather I should be near impossible to kill.

I actually haven't been doing too poorly with hp rolls yet either. I don't think I've gotten below 10 on a level up yet. The 17 str for Halfling also isn't too much of an inconvenience since I can rage if needed and will have the ogre gauntlets before too long.

Just need to figure out when would be a good time to try to kill Drizzt. I have no room for error and I'm not sure if BGee made him tougher at all since I've never tried fighting him in it. I'm thinking I might try him after clearing all of the wilderness zones but that one and cloakwood. As long as I have wands of monster summoning I should be able to wear him down. Right now I've done Nashkel + most of the West aside.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re; Evil Party chat
I'm not sure if I will be able to motivate myself to play a new BG run (I bogged down at the mid-end of ToB last time) but I have had it in my head that I would want to do an evil run. I've never made a mage PC and I was thinking I would make some sort of mage, but I really enjoy backstabbing and love the thought of doing a fighter/rogue too. If I did do the F/R I think I would go Edwin, Viconia, Dorn, and maybe that one evil dwarf to be a meat shield. If I did a mage (or mage/?) I guess I would do the same thing I guess?

edit: I never played IWD1 through and I hear f/r is pretty great in that so maybe I'll get my f/r fix from that now that the EE edition is out and I heard pretty great.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

Re; Evil Party chat
I'm not sure if I will be able to motivate myself to play a new BG run (I bogged down at the mid-end of ToB last time) but I have had it in my head that I would want to do an evil run. I've never made a mage PC and I was thinking I would make some sort of mage, but I really enjoy backstabbing and love the thought of doing a fighter/rogue too. If I did do the F/R I think I would go Edwin, Viconia, Dorn, and maybe that one evil dwarf to be a meat shield. If I did a mage (or mage/?) I guess I would do the same thing I guess?

edit: I never played IWD1 through and I hear f/r is pretty great in that so maybe I'll get my f/r fix from that now that the EE edition is out and I heard pretty great.

If you go mage, try a Sorcerer or Wild Mage. Both are a blast, and incredibly powerful.

You could grab Hexxat for your thief if you decide to go Mage. Or just take Yoshimo and then replace him later with Imoen or whoever. Yoshimo has a quest that gives a shitton of xp and he's powerful so he's always worth taking along as well.

If you go fighter/thief you can really do just about anybody for the final slot. Eventually you'll want Sarevok regardless, though.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Someone mentioned earlier that aoe CC like entangle and web is super strong, how do you use them without screwing over your melees?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Dutymode posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that aoe CC like entangle and web is super strong, how do you use them without screwing over your melees?

You either have all your melee convert to ranged with bows/slings or you have free action handy so they can just run through it. Anything webbed is totally helpless so it's fine to have everybody sit back and pick away at the target even if it isn't maximum possible damage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the standard solution is to just convert everyone to ranged weapons, but If you don't have anyone in your party who can cast Free Action, BG1 has a two-handed sword called Spider's Bane that gives the wielder passive free action, and you can pickpocket a ring of free action from Dushai in Ulgoth's Beard. BG2 has a short sword with the same effect, and there's also potions of freedom in both games. Mages can also cast Polymorph Self and take the spider form to get web immunity, or cast Summon Monster 3 and hope for ettercaps, those are immune to webs as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ginette Reno posted:

If you go mage, try a Sorcerer or Wild Mage. Both are a blast, and incredibly powerful.

You could grab Hexxat for your thief if you decide to go Mage. Or just take Yoshimo and then replace him later with Imoen or whoever. Yoshimo has a quest that gives a shitton of xp and he's powerful so he's always worth taking along as well.

If you go fighter/thief you can really do just about anybody for the final slot. Eventually you'll want Sarevok regardless, though.

Oh yeah I forgot about grabbing Sarevok in ToB.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Re; Evil Party chat

Tbh I almost never play through TOB. The combat becomes so loving samey I find it really boring. Its like a bunch of copy pasted mage fights strung together and just becomes a slog.

BG1->end of SOA owns

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
I've seen a few mentions of time limits in BG. Do you get locked out of quests or get negative outcomes if you take too long or something?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Amused Frog posted:

I've seen a few mentions of time limits in BG. Do you get locked out of quests or get negative outcomes if you take too long or something?

If NPCs keep bugging you about their quest over and over again, that's a hint that they might leave or the quest might become impossible to finish if you don't go take care of it. There's another quest in BG1 that has a specific time limit, but you'll be informed. One specific area later on in BG2 The Drow City has almost all its quests on time limits, for reasons I can't clearly remember.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah the standard solution is to just convert everyone to ranged weapons, but If you don't have anyone in your party who can cast Free Action, BG1 has a two-handed sword called Spider's Bane that gives the wielder passive free action, and you can pickpocket a ring of free action from Dushai in Ulgoth's Beard. BG2 has a short sword with the same effect, and there's also potions of freedom in both games. Mages can also cast Polymorph Self and take the spider form to get web immunity, or cast Summon Monster 3 and hope for ettercaps, those are immune to webs as well.

I always resist using free action because it cancels out haste and the effects of the boots of speed. I just want to move fast :saddowns:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fong posted:

Tbh I almost never play through TOB. The combat becomes so loving samey I find it really boring. Its like a bunch of copy pasted mage fights strung together and just becomes a slog.

BG1->end of SOA owns
I'm glad that I am not the only person that feels this way.

Draile posted:

I always resist using free action because it cancels out haste and the effects of the boots of speed. I just want to move fast :saddowns:
Gotta go fast.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Watcher's Keep is the best part of ToB, and luckily you get that in SoA!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Just want Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition already. Full screen high resolution on tablet with all content and quests and what not, and that's that. /wishpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BadAstronaut posted:

Just want Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition already. Full screen high resolution on tablet with all content and quests and what not, and that's that. /wishpost
Same, except Icewind Dale 2 EE. I've been playing the GOG version a bit lately and for all the people who like to sperg and micromanage their party it's perfect. Plus: 3rd edition D&D mmm boy.