Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Food $200
Data $18,952
Rent $800
Hard disks $23,434
Utility $180

someone who is good at computers please help me set up a windows file server
my family is dying to watch 1200 hours of tv every month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Food $200
Data $18,952
Rent $800
Hard disks $23,434
Utility $180

someone who is good at computers please help me set up a windows file server
my family is dying to watch 1200 hours of tv every month
buy less hard disks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

buy less hard disks

no

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

buy fewer hard disks

:stare::hf::eng101:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

okay, once again, this only matters for enterprise. its a loving htpc that occasionally gets media files written to it and is overwhelmingly doing reads. the risk of this failure is extremely small and the file that will fail to write and be corrupted will be the one you were actively writing to the system. and you will know this because THE loving POWER WENT OUT OR THE SYSTEM CRASHED. you are over-engineering to a pointless, stupid degree.

on a system with very low write volumes the problem may be amplified rather than reduced because the cache doesn't need to be flushed as often

the danger is losing stuff like filesystem metadata

nobody cares if your fart video volume 3 is corrupted, but it's probably going to annoy you if a large chunk of the filesystem vanishes

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

and for all your weepy-weep about raid5 write holes, raid 1 has the same problem dipshit.

raid 1 doesn't have that problem. there's no global state among the disks. either disk is a complete and correct version of the data, in itself

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 18, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also it's 2019 and you can buy 6 tb drives

why the hell does anyone need more than 2 6tb drives in a raid 1 in their dumb htpc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

redundant array of independent dickheads

fucc lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also it's 2019 and you can buy 6 tb drives

why the hell does anyone need more than 2 6tb drives in a raid 1 in their dumb htpc

if you go overboard and only keep 4k remuxed blurays that can be over 100GB per movie, but the real use case is being a hoarder of lovely shows you'll never watch or rewatch

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on a system with very low write volumes the problem may be amplified rather than reduced because the cache doesn't need to be flushed as often

the danger is losing stuff like filesystem metadata

nobody cares if your fart video volume 3 is corrupted, but it's probably going to annoy you if a large chunk of the filesystem vanishes

raid 1 doesn't have that problem. there's no global state among the disks. either disk is a complete and correct version of the data, in itself

lol are you seriously claiming that a hard disk will just sit there with no activity, holding data in its buffer for minutes or hours without committing it back to the platter? get loving real

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
delete some god drat files, gently caress

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I used raid 0 on my two 1tb 970 pros and I run arch Linux and I absolutely love it even though the disks are empty because sounds and movies don’t work but I still love it

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
should just get a tape drive and lto 7/8 tapes imo

just write two tapes , redundancy problem solved

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

WilWheaton posted:

should just get a tape drive and lto 7/8 tapes imo

just write two tapes , redundancy problem solved

Yeah I have tape backups for my movies, maybe you've heard of it, it's called VHS.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I know very little about CSS and even less about reddit. I know that reddit allows the use of CSS (or something similar) to drive design changes from the default page layout.

My question is: Is it possible to make the voting buttons sign the user out?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

I know very little about CSS and even less about reddit. I know that reddit allows the use of CSS (or something similar) to drive design changes from the default page layout.

My question is: Is it possible to make the voting buttons sign the user out?

lol

also no, afaict

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

redundant array of independent dickheads

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
anyone touch macos server these days? is the management/profile poo poo still nerfed to single subnets or did that change

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

anyone touch macos server these days? is the management/profile poo poo still nerfed to single subnets or did that change

dehumanize yourself

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

Just supernet it :v:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hi guys just checking in to say im using raid 5 on windows home as a server for my media. it works great.
actually idk if its 5 anymore i made some windows software raid thing in disk management.
also one of my hard drives died im pretty sure cos i lost a whole volume but i dont think anything good was on there and im too lazy to get it out of the computer so its still in there. its been a few months since it died.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

hi guys just checking in to say im using raid 5 on windows home as a server for my media. it works great.
actually idk if its 5 anymore i made some windows software raid thing in disk management.
also one of my hard drives died im pretty sure cos i lost a whole volume but i dont think anything good was on there and im too lazy to get it out of the computer so its still in there. its been a few months since it died.

great av/post combo

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Putting my incremental SSD backup images on a 10TB hard drive isn’t the dumbest thing, but I does feel it has me putting too much faith in Western Digital.

Also, it was pretty dumb when Windows formatted it in ReFS by default for some reason and it got completely corrupted in less than 3 days. The drive was fine once I put a real file system on it, it’s been trucking along okay.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i have a pixel 3 and a UK sim card/data contract thing with Three. I am getting to the stage where the unlimited EU roaming won't work any more (3 non consecutive calendar months without being in the UK within a year). Is there some way I can keep my UK number but also pay for data somehow. pixel 3 doesn't have 2 sims so I can't use a second sim i think, and even if i could would it be possible to use just one for data and the other for texts/voice? I mainly care about keeping the number since it's used by a bunch of things for 2FA.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

pointsofdata posted:

i have a pixel 3 and a UK sim card/data contract thing with Three. I am getting to the stage where the unlimited EU roaming won't work any more (3 non consecutive calendar months without being in the UK within a year). Is there some way I can keep my UK number but also pay for data somehow. pixel 3 doesn't have 2 sims so I can't use a second sim i think, and even if i could would it be possible to use just one for data and the other for texts/voice? I mainly care about keeping the number since it's used by a bunch of things for 2FA.

pixel 3 has two sims although one is an eSim. I think the next android version allows you to have both active simultaneously if you can wait for that to release

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey so looking at ex lease pc for ex wife business (yes i am sucker) and they’re those small tiny ones, now for the same price i can get either of those two

now obviously the 4770 is better but in those tiny form factor jobs https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/EXWKSHP80821/HP-Elitedesk-800-G1-SFF-A-Grade-OFF-LEASED-Intel-C

is the much higher tdp
professor gonna mean it runs it’s tits off all the time? or if it’s just doing her basic business poo poo (occasional use of illustrator) if processor barely being pushed , maybe it won’t be hot most of the time

thoughts?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
max TDP just means how much intel claims* it will draw under a realistic** maximum load. they idle at far lower wattages than that. the second CPU you listed will draw more power under load, but should hopefully finish tasks quicker and be able to return to idle state sooner.

the lower-wattage part may theoretically idle a bit lower, but the difference in electrical cost for a single computer is not likely to be very noticeable.

*my impression these days is that TDP numbers are vague at best, maybe i'm wrong though?
**it's possible to craft a specific loop that causes the processor to draw even more power, but this doesn't reflect a real world workload.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
more importantly, both PC options come with a solid state drive, right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yes, and the faster one is bigger (480gb)
platters are for storing media and nothing else

basically the slower one is out of stock, but am prepared to get it moved from another branch, if it preferable.

if they can both do the basic browsing poo poo without the fan pegged at full, then ill get the faster one. one of those processors is designed to use less power presumably meaning running cooler while the faster one isn’t designed for that, it’s middle of the road

i’ll just get the faster one and get it today I think

looks good I think. form factor is glorious

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if that illustrator use is for anything simple with only a few layers, you could probably drop to an i5 and be fine if thats an option

yeah that and 8gb of ram would be the bigger thing to me at that point for basic levels of business and illustrator

not that its the fastest these days, but my 2012 mba is an i5/8gb model and still handles basic design work fine. i did an album cover and sleeve that was all raster at 600 dpi last year and the only major issue was i was a dummy and save at too high a bit depth which ballooned the file size and choked the cache

for some simple logo work or a banner those cpus should be plenty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eh as far as the selection goes it’s this kind of thing for almost $700 and then immediately drops to I5s (doesn’t specify which) with 4gb. one has 8gb but a i7 with 16gb and 480gb ssd is gonna be a tiny bit real decent business pc

it’ll probably break down before it’s unusably slow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

if that illustrator use is for anything simple with only a few layers, you could probably drop to an i5 and be fine if thats an option

yeah that and 8gb of ram would be the bigger thing to me at that point for basic levels of business and illustrator

not that its the fastest these days, but my 2012 mba is an i5/8gb model and still handles basic design work fine. i did an album cover and sleeve that was all raster at 600 dpi last year and the only major issue was i was a dummy and save at too high a bit depth which ballooned the file size and choked the cache

thanks for the input man :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

eh as far as the selection goes it’s this kind of thing for almost $700 and then immediately drops to I5s (doesn’t specify which) with 4gb. one has 8gb but a i7 with 16gb and 480gb ssd is gonna be a tiny bit real decent business pc

jesus gently caress, $700 for a ~5 year old PC??

i know you're in NZ but goddamn

Agile Vector posted:

the i3/i5/i7 split works a bit different with mobiles than with desktops

assuming equivalent clockspeeds, the only thing a haswell i7 has over an i5 is hyperthreading, they're both four core parts.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

are new zealand dollars actually pesetas or something

is it like 20 nzd = 1usd

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

thats a good way to look at it! the length of time for regular use for that type of system should be real good these days

the i3/i5/i7 split works a bit different with mobiles than with desktops

assuming equivalent clockspeeds, the only thing a haswell i7 has over an i5 is hyperthreading, they're both four core parts.

oooh, I mean in that case an i5 seems more than alright. even my i5 2500k is holding out and that mba is a dual core with ht no less

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

thats a good way to look at it! the length of time for regular use for that type of system should be real good these days

oooh, I mean in that case an i5 seems more than alright. even my i5 2500k is holding out and that mba is a dual core with ht no less

but why does poo poo cost so loving much

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but why does poo poo cost so loving much

hell if i know, its a 1.5:1 nzd:usd ratio. even then it seems high

though looking at micro center, $450 usd nets a similar dell optiplex. maybe thats really the going rate for system in that range

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this is some shameful poo poo lol

TipTow posted:

Images won't embed properly; it shows the broken page. I've double- and triple-checked I'm using the vb code correctly. Any ideas?

astral posted:

It might help if you shared the image link you were trying to embed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Agile Vector posted:

hell if i know, its a 1.5:1 nzd:usd ratio. even then it seems high

though looking at micro center, $450 usd nets a similar dell optiplex. maybe thats really the going rate for system in that range

new zealand is an island that is p much as far away from the rest of the world as you can get so of course it costs more money to get anything there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I made friends with a new neighbor last weekend. Apparently he's related to a singer that died a couple years ago, and he's part of a private Facebook group for her. Apparently the admin of the Facebook group dropped off the face of the planet and he's scared all the videos that people uploaded to this group are going to disappear someday, and he wants to get all the photos and videos to her father on a USB drive for safe keeping.

I was able to help him out and get 8,000+ photos saved by using a Chrome extension, but I am unable to find anything that can grab all the videos. I tried 2 extensions for Firefox and 3 for Chrome, and all give me problems when trying to download all the videos (all of them downloaded all the photos just fine). I know there's add-ons that let you download the videos individually but this would take weeks as there's several hundred of them. Is there some sort of way to get all of these videos saved to a local hard drive without having to sit there and save them one-by-one?