Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

You know what's fun? The rare time I watch a movie I've never heard of, it isn't been "spoiled" and there's no hype about. A while ago I watched "Pandorum" and I had no idea about it. I knew it was some sort of space horror thing, I had a vague memory of people saying it was awful but I'll watch any space thing. You know what, I loved it. It didn't do anything wrong, had an interesting twist, and I enjoyed it throughout.

this happened for me recently with Bone Tomahawk and that movie rocked my whole wide world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

It's an alright movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

this happened for me recently with Bone Tomahawk and that movie rocked my whole wide world

I went into Bone Tomahawk blind and thought it sucked out loud.

Pandorum was pretty cool, though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Pandorum is the most videogame movie I've ever seen.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Too much Dennis Quaid

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I went into Bone Tomahawk blind and thought it sucked out loud.

Pandorum was pretty cool, though.

xeno i am one of your biggest fans but this opinion is cooked

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Pandorum was pretty meh. Even with its massive flaws, Sunshine is much better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ersatz posted:

The cold corporate officer angling for control gets crushed to death because she panics and can't think to run sideways instead of straight forward. It works pretty well.

It's also the coldly rational character dying and the character with faith living through nothing more than dumb luck.

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, Shaw did a serpentine and got out of the way. Then it tipped over, and she tripped on a rock.

No, she didn't. She just fell over and survived.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 12, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

The best part about Pandorum bar none: The soundtrack. It's a really good space horror soundtrack. Only watched the movie once, have listened to the score hundreds of times.

The second best thing about Pandorum: When it turns literally into a video game at the start. A lone guy wakes up out of cryosleep, and begins taking orders from a voice over the radio to find a gun and how to use it. The whole thing made me wish they'd just make a System Shock movie instead.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yes and no. Sunshine was great until the final act, when it ramped off a loving cliff of stupidity and turned into a different movie. Unpopular opinion I also felt the same about the director's last movie, 28 Days Later, where basically it turns stupid as hell the second the soldiers show up.

Pandorum had it's ups and downs but it felt like a consistent movie throughout. Never reaching the highs of early Sunshine, but never reaching the lows of Sunshine's last act.

ED: I do find it funny my other reaction to Sunshine was "Hey, this Chris Evens guys is actually pretty charismatic, a shame what those lovely Fantastic Four movies did to his career. I hope he gets a decent gig after this." And, well, we all know where that went.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 12, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this has been posted. I haven't read any spoilers but I have a hunch. Anyway, it seems that Ridley according to interviews put the Xeno back into the Prometheus arc because of fan backlash from prometheus. But it seems the xeno may be introduced with one weird trick in Cabinet and maybe that's Ridleys way loving with those fans. Like kids screaming for ice cream so when they finally get it, its covered in alien cum.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

I want to hear the "right" reasons to like Prometheus.

Question for all you people who watched this on DVD - did they fix the dumb visual effect with the compass?

In the theater 3D release, that compass on all the HUDs was totally either always locked in one position when the character was turning, or turning completely at odds with them, but usually just locked. Nobody bothered to sync it. It seems like the kind of thing that'd get fixed in a DVD release.

Stupid loving nitpick I know but it drove me Goddamn nuts as one of those people who always reads the HUDs in sci-fi movies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blazing Ownager posted:

Question for all you people who watched this on DVD - did they fix the dumb visual effect with the compass?

In the theater 3D release, that compass on all the HUDs was totally either always locked in one position when the character was turning, or turning completely at odds with them, but usually just locked. Nobody bothered to sync it. It seems like the kind of thing that'd get fixed in a DVD release.

Stupid loving nitpick I know but it drove me Goddamn nuts as one of those people who always reads the HUDs in sci-fi movies.

I never noticed it. Was it on a practical screen/hud or was it a full screen overlay?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
They released some more cov clips for those of us in the greatest nation on earth

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blazing Ownager posted:

They also all have the same heartbeats.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

My favourite HUD was in Terminator 3, where the blurb for each of the T-x's weapons is 'important information about this weapon will be displayed here.'

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Howd they get the facehugger off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdSkcw0pygE

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

In the film he uses a knife to cut the facehugger, that's why the guy's face is burning.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wyoming posted:

Pandorum is the most videogame movie I've ever seen.

Yeah, it's the closest thing to a Dead Space movie that we're likely going to see.

alf_pogs posted:

xeno i am one of your biggest fans but this opinion is cooked

No really, Bone Tomahawk was poo poo. The dialogue was beyond stilted and forced, and it bored me to tears. I don't know if the movie was trying to use "period accurate" vernacular or something, but compared to the likes of Deadwood, The Hateful Eight, or the innumerable Westerns I've absorbed through osmosis growing up (my father is to the Western genre as I am to the AvP series), it was loving awful. When Spielberg's 'Lincoln' is more engaging and interesting than a movie about psycho killer native Americans who scalp people and chop them in half, you done hosed up. Bone Tomahawk succeeded in making a sex scene utterly boring and lifeless.

I'll give the movie credit that the deputy had a couple choice lines of dialogue late in the movie, and that "professional hunter" character gets marginally more interesting as the movie plays out, but holy gently caress what a slog.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, it's the closest thing to a Dead Space movie that we're likely going to see.

What you miss the super lovely deadspace movies?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

RangerScum posted:

In the film he uses a knife to cut the facehugger, that's why the guy's face is burning.

Did they cut out some footage from that clip? It happens so fast and there's no close up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

When Spielberg's 'Lincoln' is more engaging and interesting than...

It really didn't matter what came next, it's still a weird analogy. Very little could be more engaging than Spielberg doing Lincoln?

Also Bone Tomahawk owns and Pandorum is garbage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

I hope they make a dead space movie. I was just thinking the other day, how great the first and second games are.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Shaocaholica posted:

Did they cut out some footage from that clip? It happens so fast and there's no close up.

Yeah they cut it. It's unmissable in the film.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There needs to be a western with Xenos. Or at least one human who carries a revolver and/or lever gun because reasons. Pew pew in your face you dirty Xeno.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shaocaholica posted:

There needs to be a western with Xenos. Or at least one human who carries a revolver and/or lever gun because reasons. Pew pew in your face you dirty Xeno.

You'd better believe this happens in a comic book. There's a Western-themed amusement park that gets overrun with Aliens, and it's basically Westworld meets Aliens.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shaocaholica posted:

Give Cowboys & Aliens a spin! :suicide:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tenzarin posted:

I hope they make a dead space movie. I was just thinking the other day, how great the first and second games are.

They actually made a Dead space movie. It just happened to be animated and works as a prequel for the first game. It okay, nothing that mind blowing, but a fun horror movie to see how the USG Ishimura was taken over by Necromorphs.

Dead Space: Downfall

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Xenomrph posted:

You'd better believe this happens in a comic book. There's a Western-themed amusement park that gets overrun with Aliens, and it's basically Westworld meets Aliens.

So do xenos get shot up with old west guns?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Starship troopers: Invasion is actually pretty good schlock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yo, non spoiler question I have on my mind.

Does the Alien Incubation process take hours to gestate before the Chestburster pops out? Or is it all AvP style, where it happens in minutes?

I just want to know minutes or hours.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It varies widely. The dude in resurrection keeps it going especially long, but they explain it away by him having diabetes or some stupid poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Biomute posted:

It varies widely. The dude in resurrection keeps it going especially long, but they explain it away by him having diabetes or some stupid poo poo.

Oh right the dude with glasses goes like half the movie with one in him. It felt like lot of time passed for Kane as well. They hatch when the plot needs them to hatch basically. I prefer the longer period since that shows they actually need a host to grow from for a while. The instant hatching means... what did you need a human for? Some DNA? Facehugger could be replaced with a larval form that bites you and scampers off then.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also the coldly rational character dying and the character with faith living through nothing more than dumb luck.

No, she didn't. She just fell over and survived.

She want
<--------- and Vickers went
I
I
I
V

I know this because once Vickers gets squashed, Shaw looks UP at the ship, and sees it on it's side. It then falls over on it's side, and she backs away, tripping. The ship doesn't crush the rock she's backed up against.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Biomute posted:

Resurrection is weird because I don't know how Pervis got out of his little pod thing that everyone else was strapped into. Unless they did him later. Because I don't think they would impregnate those people, and let them out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just in the last 5 pages we've had people talking poo poo about Halloween 3 and now Bone Tomahawk? Close it down I say.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Biomute posted:

I the gestation period seems to be about that about of time in general. Look at Alien, the woman in Aliens, or Alien 3 and how much time must have past. With Kane I got the impression that was at least a few hours.

The goofiest is the first AvP because it's like literally fifteen minutes from facehugger making contact to fully grown xenomorph running around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe the predators had some sort of quick-bake xeno for their hunts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Like self-rising flour.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

The goofiest is the first AvP because it's like literally fifteen minutes from facehugger making contact to fully grown xenomorph running around.

I remember them playing pretty fast and loose with how much time was going by after they get facehugged. It was like facehugging scene, then another scene, then at some indeterminate amount of time later we cut back to the facehugged people and they're waking up and the xenos are chest bursting. So maybe we're supposed to think that Weyland and the team were wandering around for like 8 hours while the facehuggers were gestating or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe the predators had some sort of quick-bake xeno for their hunts.

This was it, but they never showed it.