Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
dressrosa was just kinda bad all around (bad for one piece that is, still decent compared to other mangas). i wouldnt worry too much about it, i think everything since has been some of the best in the entire manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gear 5 should be luffy vibrating at incredibly high frequencies and thus through the power of anime science be able to cut through anything.

Now i wonder is luffy a 6 gear manual or one of them new fangled 9 gear automatics.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Next chapter: Luffy undergoes vulcanization.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I just picked up the latest tankobon, and I think it bears repeating that One Piece reads utterly amazing in the volume format. I forgot how gorgeous the last half of Zou and the build up to Big Mom was. It's a huge difference from the crummy scanlations, and something to keep in mind when reading, I think.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Next chapter: Luffy undergoes vulcanization.

Thatts gear4 doe

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think Gear 5 will be Luffy overclocking his Color of Observation or contracting his brain or otherwise doing something nervous system-related.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Man, what was Luffy thinking leaving Zorro behind on Zou. He would love chopping up this army of biscuit men. He lives for fighting armies of biscuit men. Instead, we had to watch him chasing Pika around Dressrosa.

I bet the Franky Shogun would probably do well against them as well, hell even Robin would own this guy, she is basically there just to fight mooks. He should have just left the Samurai to sort out Wano and brought all his crew.

(I know it's just cos Oda wants to use smaller groups of the crew for the time being, it doesn't change the fact that Luffy took his weakest crew mates/a bunch of animal people he barely knows to take on a Yonko)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

I think Gear 5 will be Luffy overclocking his Color of Observation or contracting his brain or otherwise doing something nervous system-related.

This has sort of disappeared he hasn't done the predicty/dodgy thing in quite a while.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

This has sort of disappeared he hasn't done the predicty/dodgy thing in quite a while.

I think he used it during the tournament part of Dressrosa. He dodged Jean Ango's thrown weapons (and Ango was surprised that he managed to do it), and he avoided Rebecca's sneak attack.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silver2195 posted:

I felt it was less padding and more establishing a weakness for Gear 4. It's what provides a lot of the tension in the current Luffy vs. Cracker fight.

There's already tension when a cracker's involved.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Man, what was Luffy thinking leaving Zorro behind on Zou. He would love chopping up this army of biscuit men. He lives for fighting armies of biscuit men. Instead, we had to watch him chasing Pika around Dressrosa.

I bet the Franky Shogun would probably do well against them as well, hell even Robin would own this guy, she is basically there just to fight mooks. He should have just left the Samurai to sort out Wano and brought all his crew.

(I know it's just cos Oda wants to use smaller groups of the crew for the time being, it doesn't change the fact that Luffy took his weakest crew mates/a bunch of animal people he barely knows to take on a Yonko)

Zoro has to stay behind so that he can just save Wano Kuni offscreen like the time he took out Wapols army. And Luffy's getting Sanji back, so he'll be completely...well, he'll manage.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

He specifically isn't planning on fighting Big Mom, though. The plan is to rescue Sanji and leave.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I can't believe one of Luffy's toughest opponents is a literal Biscuitdoughhands Man.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Awakened Biscuitman

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I can't believe one of Luffy's toughest opponents is a literal Biscuitdoughhands Man.

Well he is a notorious criminal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

He specifically isn't planning on fighting Big Mom, though. The plan is to rescue Sanji and leave.

Sure, that's his plan. Of course you've got the compounding efforts to blow that plan right the gently caress up of it being a Luffy Plan and it relying on Luffy not just doing whatever the gently caress he wants. Additionally Big Mom kidnapped his buddy and is a big fat jerk trying to control poo poo, things that notoriously set Luffy off.

Plus there has been all of one single time in the entirety of One Piece where Luffy's solution wasn't a bit of the ultra violence. When he and Zorro decided Bellamy and his gang were so pathetic they weren't even worth fighting. And he still ended up showing Bellamy how he punches.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard is gonna destroy the moon and its gonna rule

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

I want more blackbeard, he is really interesting. he has one of the best lines in the series. "The dreams of men never die." That is not the line of a villain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

But Enel!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

I want more blackbeard, he is really interesting. he has one of the best lines in the series. "The dreams of men never die." That is not the line of a villain.

bb is probably one of my favorite villains ever. he's just like... such a good foil, and he's competent. i think he's interesting because he risks his own life on his dream and does some crazy crap to do it, but also very fallible. like, blackbeard fails when the focus on him, often, and he's a yonko. it's so rare to see an ultimate villain seem so stoppable.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Space-Bird posted:

Believing you can do whatever you want so long as you keep pushing, drat the casualties or consequences because you're more important seems pretty villainous to me. And that line pretty well encapsulates the idea he'll keep going towards his dream regardless of anything or anyone else because he believes he has the right to do so. It's an amoral line, and can be either heroic or villainous depending on who says it and why.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

You both just made me love Blackbeard even more. I can't wait for him to step back into the picture.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah, I love Blackbeard and I really hope we get a lot more from him than the standard, "invade heavily fortified base of enemy, confront them at the headquarters, tragic flashback, beatdown" because he's been played as this parallel to Luffy the entire time, even though Oda sort of killed his "tiny crew surviving despite themselves" thing he shared with Luffy in favor of a large fleet with several layers of organization that he appears to be aping from every other major OP villain.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Space-Bird posted:

You both just made me love Blackbeard even more. I can't wait for him to step back into the picture.

My goal wasn't to make you dislike him, just to point out that his line isn't particularly heroic and is a good indication of him as well as villainous in retrospect.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Just wait till blackbeard kills akainu and kizaru and takes their powers. :yarr:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

a man's dream (to find out where your avatar is from) will never die!!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Believing you can do whatever you want so long as you keep pushing, drat the casualties or consequences because you're more important seems pretty villainous to me. And that line pretty well encapsulates the idea he'll keep going towards his dream regardless of anything or anyone else because he believes he has the right to do so. It's an amoral line, and can be either heroic or villainous depending on who says it and why.

Frankly, it mainly reminds me of what Griffith from Berserk had to say about dreams. And we all know how that ended.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
luffy is going to defeat blackbeard in an eating competition. who can eat more a man who can stretch or a black hole

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Space-Bird posted:

I just picked up the latest tankobon, and I think it bears repeating that One Piece reads utterly amazing in the volume format. I forgot how gorgeous the last half of Zou and the build up to Big Mom was. It's a huge difference from the crummy scanlations, and something to keep in mind when reading, I think.

Yeah, now that I'm starting to make actual disposal income, I really should buy the multi-volume copies and read through One Piece again. I never did read through all of Skypeia, after all (sorry I'm one of those readers :shobon:). I think it'd be kinda close to how it felt reading it for the first time since it's been so long.

I could give reaction updates as I reread if anyone's interested. The friendly people over at the Jojo thread seemed to like it enough to gift me an avatar for it at least :v:.

Silver2195 posted:

Whatever it is, I just really want to see him finally catch up to Kizaru with it and pay him back for Marineford. That would be extremely :krad:. Plus, it would show that Luffy then is at least as strong as Rayleigh and able to stand with the best of them.

E: Hm, is it better to get the first omnibus edition or just get the vol. 1-27 set?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 8, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The omnibuses have slightly thinner paper than normal volumes, so if that set costs as much as the omnibuses do there's really no reason not to get the set to start off with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The omnibuses take up substantially less space compared to their equivalent volumes. Like, they're about the thickness of two volumes for the three volumes they contain. If space is a concern, you should factor that in since one piece has quite a few volumes!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no chapter this week right?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Right, no chapter this week. Did we get two or three chapters since the last break? I can't remember.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

tbp posted:

dressrosa was just kinda bad all around (bad for one piece that is, still decent compared to other mangas). i wouldnt worry too much about it, i think everything since has been some of the best in the entire manga

Counterpoint: Lao G dying and coming back to life mid fight was one of the greatest one piece moments of all time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
God Ussop was great too.

Shame about almost the rest of the entire over long arc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dressrosa needed to end before the birdcage which was ridiculous. Doffy going "AHA YOU DIDN'T GET ME JUUST YET!" got really irritating and overstayed its welcome. I actually like a lot of it but yeah it really dragged on especially with the months of all these minor characters running up the mountain.

God Ussop and him sniping Sugar was the best part.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Basically Doflamingo's bullshit was the real downer of the arc. Most of the other stuff was great. And no one is going to tell me Senor Pink wasn't awesome totally hardboiled.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the pica zoro chase was trash

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oddium posted:

the pica zoro chase was trash

i liked the penultimate part of him slashing up a giant statue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pureauthor posted:

Basically Doflamingo's bullshit was the real downer of the arc. Most of the other stuff was great. And no one is going to tell me Senor Pink wasn't awesome totally hardboiled.

there were like, seriously a few ways to not have the birdcage thing happen. it feels like doffy should have had a contingency plan like "conq haki everyone out cold and anyone strong tie up with strings while my associates handle the matter for me" or "tie everyone up and have my associates deal with the stragglers" or something. and he could capture rebecca or king riku or bellamy and use them to make luffy not attack him for a while. birdcage was seriously such a buzzkill asspull for an already long arc with a lot of characters luffy was fighting for that i couldnt give a poo poo about.