Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dragonar is good because the main trio are good friends and I like their interactions.

And, of course, because of ↑←↑.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Dragonar is a fun show and the characters are endearing. It's not really interested in digging into the horrors of war stuff as much as Gundam is but it's a good mecha time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fivemarks posted:

Dragonar also does some stuff that I really haven't seen anime in general do since. Like having a black person as a main character and not having his design be racist, fall into racist stereotypes about black people, and just had him be a normal guy. Hell they even let him have an interracial romance, which modern cartoons and movies can't do in America.
Macross did it from the jump even if they killed Roy. Claudia's design seems a little unfortunate at a glance but at least does not seem like an intentional stereotype.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Macross did it from the jump even if they killed Roy. Claudia's design seems a little unfortunate at a glance but at least does not seem like an intentional stereotype.

So did Great Mazinger, which predates Macross by eight years. Tetsuya's love interest is Jun Hono, whose dad is African-American. It's a nice thing about Dragonar, but it's not unique.

(As for design acceptability in general, I'm not wading into that minefield.)

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jun and Claudia are both also great, absolutely.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
still blows my mind how robotech changed a bunch of poo poo but still just basically had the ep where the ladies have tea and talk about their boyfriends intact. they don't even pretend he isn't dead. that must have been a shakeup for kids watching that when it initially aired.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao that he didnt go straight to the medbay and just went over to Claudia's place to bleedout all over her couch

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao that he didnt go straight to the medbay and just went over to Claudia's place to bleedout all over her couch

Presumably, he'd been on the battlefield long enough to recognize the one you weren't walking away from, medic or no. Gonna die either way, might as well die seeing the woman you love one last time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

some people just love drama

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Presumably, he'd been on the battlefield long enough to recognize the one you weren't walking away from, medic or no. Gonna die either way, might as well die seeing the woman you love one last time.

My vast experience in piloting fighter jets tells me that medical care definitely cannot save me from this internal bleeding even though it allowed me to dismount from my valkyrie under my own power, hide that I was injured, and walk all the way to my girlfriend's place and play the guitar for a while.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roy Fokker dying: cool storytelling.
How exactly Roy died: Sus. Sus AF.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
to roy, being dramatic was more important than survival.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Putting an official reprimand in the file of those flight deck crew dudes who not only saw Roy's hole ridden plane, but also looked into the cockpit and went "jesus christ, what the hell" at what they saw but didn't think it warranted mentioning to anybody further

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Thinkin bout the time hikaru was watching swimwear girlies in his cockpit and nearly flew rear end over cockpit into an enemy ship that fired an itano circus at his goofy rear end before even knowing he was there or who that was

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Pootybutt posted:

Thinkin bout the time hikaru was watching swimwear girlies in his cockpit and nearly flew rear end over cockpit into an enemy ship that fired an itano circus at his goofy rear end before even knowing he was there or who that was

To be fair, the enemy ship was also watching swimwear girlies

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
In the long term that event led to the end of the war.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

other notable shameful moments, cowards protesting that two guys cant show the aliens how kissing happens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Light Gun Man posted:

still blows my mind how robotech changed a bunch of poo poo but still just basically had the ep where the ladies have tea and talk about their boyfriends intact. they don't even pretend he isn't dead. that must have been a shakeup for kids watching that when it initially aired.
Didn't Star Blazers roll pretty realistically? I had the vibe that Star Blazers and Robotech were aiming kind of at the 10-14 market segment who could handle the prospect of a military pilot actually dying, the stuff where people got sent to the Next Dimension or thrown in Arlong's dungeon forever was more a later development.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nessus posted:

Didn't Star Blazers roll pretty realistically? I had the vibe that Star Blazers and Robotech were aiming kind of at the 10-14 market segment who could handle the prospect of a military pilot actually dying, the stuff where people got sent to the Next Dimension or thrown in Arlong's dungeon forever was more a later development.

For the standards of the era Star Blazers was relatively faithful. It kept a bunch of stuff, would do some changes that were silly but for the most part benign, like in a scene where they're destroying enemy tanks they'd have a line about how those were robot tanks to avoid acknowledging that yeah those enemy soldiers in there are absolutely dead. But it's sci-fi so it doesn't stick out unless you know it was a change.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Man, Bravern was good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll just drop in a reminder that the Space Battleship Yamato 2199, 2202, and 2205 series were really good. Good story, great artwork, and yes, they kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrYskeie-s

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I loved 2199, but heard very mixed things about the sequels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

Man, Bravern was good.

It's another case where I'd have loved a longer show but it pretty much nails what it wants to do in 12 eps.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly think it being any longer would have risked making it worse. It's basically exactly long enough for its main narrative gimmicks and style of humor.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A full two cours probably would have been too much, but 12 episodes was too little. The last five or so episodes really felt like it was scrambling to fit everything in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

A full two cours probably would have been too much, but 12 episodes was too little. The last five or so episodes really felt like it was scrambling to fit everything in.

To me it felt more like they were running out of steam with the main joke and went and wrapped it up before it started to drag

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just saying that Bravern wanted them to start in the east and end in the west liberating the earth. Then all they did was go to Japan and fly right back to Hawaii.

I want to see aliens in Italy.

But ultimately Bravern doesn't feel like it's lacking too much for not being longer. I'd have liked to see more fighting between the regular TS pilots and the Deathdrive grunt suits but what's there is still good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 16, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

To me it felt more like they were running out of steam with the main joke and went and wrapped it up before it started to drag

Either or, really. Bravern trying to find humor in the juxtaposition of a "real world" militia and a magic super robot had the show feel like it was walking a tight rope at times. Ideally, it'd have taken the time to handle some parts better, but odds are it would have slipped if it tried for any more.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Anshu posted:

I loved 2199, but heard very mixed things about the sequels.

I thought 2199 was arguably the best show of the year it came out, and I very quickly bounced off 2202 to a degree that I was soured on things and never even checked out the later sequels

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm in the camp that Bravern was exactly the correct length. I was actually concerned around episode 7-8 that the show would outstay its welcome, but I think it was paced just about perfectly. Maybe it could have used one more episode? But more than that would be pushing it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/icedoll456/status/1790614187464699980?t=zVBeRmm15EUnQK0dVDLS-A&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The people yearn for big gay robots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The people yearn for big gay robots.

Fujos are, traditionally, one of the biggest markets for anime merch. (Mass buying Shonen Jump issues to vote multiple times in the polls is one of the classic examples.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Robotech was fine as a super early localization for the most part, except the idol singer being extremely bad is kind of killing the moment

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I generally think it would be looked on relatively fondly if not for the 40 years of IP squatting done in it's name. As it's own thing, completely fine, inoffensive, has it's charms.

Even when watching Macross there's parts I still hear with Robotech's soundtrack in my head.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Seemlar posted:

I thought 2199 was arguably the best show of the year it came out, and I very quickly bounced off 2202 to a degree that I was soured on things and never even checked out the later sequels

2205 is probably... so-so to okay but 2202 basically took all the heavy lifting 2199 did and threw it in the trash. All the budget went into really dumb CG sequences that were incredibly wasteful setpieces leaving us with some very flawed scenes late in the show. Yamato 2199 is basically a mecha show with how well-done the mechanical details go into making the whole thing have a more authentic feeling and 2202 basically has none of that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seemlar posted:

I generally think it would be looked on relatively fondly if not for the 40 years of IP squatting done in it's name. As it's own thing, completely fine, inoffensive, has it's charms.

Even when watching Macross there's parts I still hear with Robotech's soundtrack in my head.

There is enough good and interesting in the Robotech adaptation (Including the better version of Southern Cross) that it'd probably be viewed pretty good if it wasn't for Harmony Gold sucking at everything

And I don't think it can overcome that until Harmony Gold sells the property

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wtf a vol 1 blu ray costs $110?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Japanese anime media prices have always been 'how much money do we want to make' divided by 'how many people do we think are going to buy this'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well also the video rental market in Japan has always been a very strong one, so most people will just go rent it rather than buy it