Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not bad but just half arsed, "we need an iTunes competitor". There have been year and genre filtering and searching functions since Winamp but GPM never bothered to copy-paste-rename a few bits of code to allow it to search other id3 tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

It's not bad but just half arsed, "we need an iTunes competitor". There have been year and genre filtering and searching functions since Winamp but GPM never bothered to copy-paste-rename a few bits of code to allow it to search other id3 tags.

Yeah, I can see iTunes-like Smart Playlists being something it should have. It would certainly make generating decent playlists from your library easy.. I realize I'm asking this in a forum where there are probably people unironically using Foobar 2000 but do you really think many would use that instead of just playing a radio station from a selection of tracks?

I guess I can see where it could be better, in particular if there was some iterative improvements between the paid service, your uploaded library, and how to leverage both to personalize what's offered to the user but that just isn't how Google works. You just get what is first offered until they burn it down and what's offered now in GPM seems as good or better than every other similar service when you figure in how much you can upload and how good the streaming service and apps are.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
"OK Google, play some music I like."
"Sure. Playing music." (plays a track at random from my library, ignoring the hundreds of songs I've thumbs-up-ed)

Kind of a shame, when you consider that they became a household name in the first place because they made search Just Work.

Me personally, I blame whatever black-hearted bastard son of a bitch it was who pulled the plug on Google Reader. That was their final step on the journey from 'you find what you want to consume and we'll help you do that' towards 'we'll choose what you consume and how you do it and if you don't like it, gently caress you'. The algorithm will solve everything, we just need more of it all the time everywhere, etc.

Not to be melodramatic or anything, but I'll never trust Google after they did that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can other services adequately do that request? Honestly I don't know what I'd expect to get from it but if I was asked to guess I'd suspect it would be songs not in my library that it would predict I would like based on my thumbs history and library composition. I would expect it to believe that I like everything in my library.

Also I'd argue that killing Reader was the Correct And Moral thing to do and I'm glad they did it, though I see your point. I'm not on social media so I guess I'm not fed up with algorithmic suggestions yet. I quite enjoy the Google feed and it's actually relevant, interesting, and timely for me for the most part so maybe I also don't have the disdain for algorithmic content presentation that others might. Either way I still use RSS and since the death of Reader it's gotten much better, not worse, and that's almost certainly due to Reader consuming all the oxygen in the niche prior to its execution.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I would expect it to believe that I like everything in my library.

From the perspective of 'this is the data that you have fed into our computer', I could agree. However, I use GPM because I can upload up to 50,000 songs and store them forever* in Google's cloud, for free - not even taking up their Drive space - rather than on my machine. I've ripped and uploaded the contents of all my CDs, and I have quite a few, because from what I can see I can't see it getting much better than this. The alternative is to host the files elsewhere, which comes with cost and friction.

So yes, I 'like' all my music, because I went and bought it in the first place. However, given that there's also a feature in GPM where I the user can specifically choose to tag individual songs as thumbs-up - placing them into their own automatic playlist - and thumbs-down, this implies another level of like/dislike.

If I wanted to hear a random song from my library I'd tell it to do that. If I wanted to hear a song I know I like, I would expect it to use the information I've given GPM already, deliberately, about songs that I like; and either play from most recent thumbs-up to oldest, or shuffle the whole set.

As for killing Reader being 'good and moral', well, Gmail exists and yet other email services also exist. Youtube exists and there's still Vimeo and Dailymotion. Chrome exists yet Firefox is still a thing, and so on. I'd love to see a regulator take a good, hard look at Google and give them a bloody nose, but lmao oligarchs ever getting their comeuppance.

[e] also, sorry to bang on about Reader but: they killed the service because it directly affected their ability to show you content they are paid to show you, instead of you going and finding that content yourself; thus my point about search and user agency being dead at Google. Not to haul you over the coals either, but I also wouldn't use 'good and moral' to describe the company that had employees hand in their notice because of that business with the Pentagon that came to light recently.

...or the tax thing. They don't pay taxes like little people do.

I appear to have gone D&D, and I'm sorry. Perhaps Google's 'digital wellbeing' tools would be of some use

spincube fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 30, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

As for killing Reader being 'good and moral', well, Gmail exists and yet other email services also exist. Youtube exists and there's still Vimeo and Dailymotion. Chrome exists yet Firefox is still a thing, and so on.

Yes, and there were other RSS readers whilst Reader was still a thing.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with LiL (I haven't thought about it), but his point is that Vimeo/Dailymotion/Firefox would be better and have more competition.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Started using Accubattery a few weeks ago when it was mentioned in this thread or the other. It's estimating my actual capacity at 107% of the listed spec for a Pixel 1XL. (About nine months old, purchased new, never babied the battery before, was constantly topping it off).

I don't know what manufacturing tolerances would be on that kind of thing, is it possible I got a freak oversized battery or more likely that Accubattery is just wrong? The measurement hasn't moved significantly for a while.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Started using Accubattery a few weeks ago when it was mentioned in this thread or the other. It's estimating my actual capacity at 107% of the listed spec for a Pixel 1XL. (About nine months old, purchased new, never babied the battery before, was constantly topping it off).

I don't know what manufacturing tolerances would be on that kind of thing, is it possible I got a freak oversized battery or more likely that Accubattery is just wrong? The measurement hasn't moved significantly for a while.

I just downloaded and tried this out, my nearly 2 year old PXL is still around 90% battery health according to the app. I definitely don't 80% charge it to lengthen battery life either, pretty much 10-30% to 100% every night

Its a good phone

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spincube posted:

"Sure. Playing music." (plays a track at random from my library, ignoring the hundreds of songs I've thumbs-up-ed)

Wouldn't it be, "OK Google, play thumbs up", since that is the name of th auto generated playlist?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

I appear to have gone D&D

The sad thing is that you and I are in almost complete agreement.

As for the music thing, I see your point. I completely understand your reasoning and how you got there and even more, I think I'd have agreed with your perspective at one point and expected the same behavior. I can even tell you that the exact turning point where my expectations changed and that was when I started paying for the service and began using the recommendations frequently. Now I almost never listen to anything in my library and kind of get bummed out when it does play anything from it.

Of course that all comes down to a very subtle difference where you said "play music I like" which I'd never say. I'd say "play music I'd like" or if I wanted what you expect I'd say "play music I've liked". I'd still expect it to fail to do it, but that's how I'd phrase it. (Actually now that I think about it, I talk to Assistant dozens of times a day and I'm always precise with my language. I'm nearly certain I wouldn't think to use such an ambiguous request and would have in fact said "play music from my library that I have liked". My wife loves asking it ambiguous questions to hear it give inappropriate responses so it's something I actively think about.)

While I do agree with your opinion that the rich don't pay taxes or have to obey laws, I disagree with your prediction as to what would happen if Google were to encounter a zealous regulator. Thermopyle understood me correctly, and what would happen is that Google being in spaces like the RSS reader space was terrible for RSS as a whole. Here's a giant making a free, adequate RSS reader available to everyone. It's exactly the strategy Microsoft used to kill Netscape and precisely the definition of monopolistic behavior.

As for killing Reader to send you promoted tweets sponsored content, well, that's Vic Gundotra for ya. I'd have centered G+ around Reader rather than killing it but that's just me. Vic wanted to work for Facebook and didn't and now here we are. And while I was exaggerating for effect when I used Good And Moral (I thought the caps would have indicated the joke, perhaps they didn't) I still say the act can be defended as such even if the motives are suspect. Of course Google, being a for-profit company existing under capitalism, is by definition immoral and should be nationalized and its profits returned to the people, though they can continue military work for the People's Army.

In all seriousness I don't think they are showing me content I didn't know I wanted instead of content I specifically asked for evil reasons so much as they know I'm going to look for the poo poo I want and I'm not going to look for things I don't know exist. Looping it back to music, I'm not going to listen to music I don't know exist and I'd prefer they work on surfacing that to me rather than listening to the same poo poo I've heard a million times.

Again though, I do understand your reasoning on the matter and appreciate you explaining yourself. I'm actually going to think about "user agency being dead at Google" because I think that's a really interesting argument that I'm inclined to reject but am willing to be persuaded.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Wouldn't it be, "OK Google, play thumbs up", since that is the name of th auto generated playlist?

What do you know, I tried it and it works. I'm still surprised at the lack of 'integration' more than anything. And, speaking of...

LastInLine posted:

Of course that all comes down to a very subtle difference where you said "play music I like" which I'd never say. I'd say "play music I'd like" or if I wanted what you expect I'd say "play music I've liked". I'd still expect it to fail to do it, but that's how I'd phrase it.

That's a fair point and, although I get that edge cases do crop up - past a given threshold of certainty, systems are probably going to 'fail safe' and shrug their shoulders or take a guess - you'd think differences in approach, like ours, would have been thought about in advance. Neither of us is wrong, that I can see, so maybe it's ignorance on Google's part? If I've put the data in, using the thumbs-up framework they provide, why aren't they using that?

I suppose the root of my frustration is that, rather than something like 'let's be really really good at search' which resulted in Gmail and Maps, Google seem to instead be designing products for Googlers and Googlers' problems. 'Why isn't my calendar calling my hair stylist for me?'

My suggestion, not that it matters, would be to solve messaging. It's an old, worn-out topic around these parts, but that just proves my point: we know what the outcome would look like, but while this recent Messages for Web business seems to be a baby step, there just doesn't seem to be any interest in drawing a line between here and there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google has "solved" messaging in the long term (RCS) and they just don't want to put a lot of effort into anything as a stop gap in the short term.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

I suppose the root of my frustration is that, rather than something like 'let's be really really good at search' which resulted in Gmail and Maps, Google seem to instead be designing products for Googlers and Googlers' problems. 'Why isn't my calendar calling my hair stylist for me?'.

This is a great post but this is my favorite part of it.

revolther
May 27, 2008

spincube posted:

This really is user error at such a preliminary point with talking to bots. I know you expect it to just work, but you're alpha testing software basically.

If you had said like 'play thumbs up play list, or play thumbs up it would work.

Actually I just got it to work. Go into Google Assistant then settings, then routines, then add custom, and add your voice commands.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I really wanted to like Messages over Hangouts on Fi but, for me, Hangouts is better.

I tried Messages and Messages on the web for a full week and it was really slow to sync between my computer and the phone, every MMS I tried to send didn't send, and towards the end of my experiment, SMS itself just constantly failed on the browser while it went through fine on the phone.

With Hangouts, MMS and SMS has never failed but with Messages, I was left in a situation where I tried to continue the conversation on my PC but it simply just didn't go through and when it finally resynced, things were confusing and off.

I don't know if it's due to the Nexus 6's aging storage and battery but I'm not exactly impressed.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'd be left with scrambling to back up my SMS messages if I got a new device...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hangouts with Google Voice is so great on my PC.

I send/receive Hangouts, send/receive SMS, place/receive phone calls all through the chrome extension.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going back to GPM, it has a ridiculous bug that has existed since launch and I struggle to even find references to it online but I can't imagine it somehow only affects me.

I uploaded all my music years ago. In some (but not all) cases, where an album that I have uploaded matches an album available as part of the subscription side of the service, the subscription version of the album will contain double listings of all (and only) the songs that match. The uploaded version will be fine. If I delete my uploaded version, the duplicates go away.

Why on earth would I ever want my uploaded tracks to appear within subscription albums? These should be entirely separate concepts.

I've reported this bug about fifty times now.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

This really is user error at such a preliminary point with talking to bots. I know you expect it to just work, but you're alpha testing software basically.

If you had said like 'play thumbs up play list, or play thumbs up it would work.

Actually I just got it to work. Go into Google Assistant then settings, then routines, then add custom, and add your voice commands.

Google are promising natural language interaction with their products, where you don't need to remember the precise magic words to make things happen because they're clever enough to work it out anyway. For example, "OK Google, what time is the Spain match" correctly assumes I'm asking about this afternoon's World Cup fixtures, without needing to clarify the date, the sport, or the competition.

So given that I've been telling them which songs I like, I'm surprised that asking my Google hockey puck to play the songs I like from Google's music service gives me something completely different to what I expect. You're correct that it's user error in that I didn't use the correct magic words, but why haven't the big brains at Google worked this out? Why should I need to know the magic words for one scenario, and not another? Gmail at least had the 'beta' fig leaf for years, why am I suddenly to assume a Google Home I can go out and buy from a supermarket, today, is actually a product I'm expected to beta-test for Google?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

Going back to GPM, it has a ridiculous bug that has existed since launch and I struggle to even find references to it online but I can't imagine it somehow only affects me.

I uploaded all my music years ago. In some (but not all) cases, where an album that I have uploaded matches an album available as part of the subscription side of the service, the subscription version of the album will contain double listings of all (and only) the songs that match. The uploaded version will be fine. If I delete my uploaded version, the duplicates go away.

Why on earth would I ever want my uploaded tracks to appear within subscription albums? These should be entirely separate concepts.

I've reported this bug about fifty times now.

I get that too and yes it drives me nuts :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spincube posted:

Why should I need to know the magic words for one scenario, and not another?

This is the case for all natural language communication between humans as well. There is no guarantee that one phrase gets understood the same way by different people. The meaning of "the Spanish match" changes from day to day. There is a bunch of unspoken context and body language which need to be included for the verbal phrase to make complete sense. The voice command computer can use statistics, trending topics etc to guess what the most likely scenario is but it won't be right all the time. But you as a user will adapt to this and over time learn when it is most likely to guess correctly and when it most likely needs a bunch of specific hand holding and path guidance do get it right. In the end, it's not a magic AI that understands natural language, it's just an interface like any other but with very complicated behavior.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As an American, I'd have no idea what a Spain match is. Maybe our robots are the same? (Although this is another case where I think you have to tell it ahead of time what sports and teams you're interested in. I like the NBA and hate MLB, but Assistant knows if I ask about Miami I'm talking about the Heat and not the Marlins. "Spain match" still sounds like an orgy appointment to me though.)

Ola is of course correct though, like I said you can just listen to my wife loving with Google all day asking her goofy questions. If you work enough at it you can figure out what will give it problems and what works well.

Skarsnik posted:

I get that too and yes it drives me nuts :argh:

I tried to find an example of it but I couldn't find one but I have no doubt it happens. The fact that it hasn't been addressed is just your typical Google "launch and forget" attitude where maintenance just doesn't get done. Until I went to look at this I didn't know that if you search an artist you've uploaded that your uploads get mixed in with available ones without indication of which is which resulting in apparent duplicates.

I'm sure all of this will be fixed in YouTube Music (when they stop letting you upload poo poo).

revolther
May 27, 2008

spincube posted:

Gmail at least had the 'beta' fig leaf for years, why am I suddenly to assume a Google Home I can go out and buy from a supermarket, today, is actually a product I'm expected to beta-test for Google?
Because for ten years you told them you were A-Okay with doing so.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Are there any phone apps that show signal strength of various carriers in your location? I am out in the country so my AT&T coverage is poo poo, but I've had guests over saying Verizon works great here. I just wanted a way to test it out before/if I switch over.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fat_Cow posted:

Are there any phone apps that show signal strength of various carriers in your location? I am out in the country so my AT&T coverage is poo poo, but I've had guests over saying Verizon works great here. I just wanted a way to test it out before/if I switch over.

You could try opensignal, or just go to their site here

https://opensignal.com/networks

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Does anyone know an app for Facebook that kills video ads? I'm tempted to try Metal for Facebook https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nam.fbwrapper but I'm afraid it'll contain malware.

Yes, I know that Facebook *is* malware or other crapppy poo poo.

Also this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.rignanese.leo.slimfacebook

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I need some advice, We are sending a bunch of Tablets out to a charity customer who has just told us that they want to use them to register attendees for a trip. We're talking 400 people over 4 sites. All the app needs to be able to do its have a list uploaded to it (in the cloud) and for that list to appear on the tablets and the staff will swipe the names of attendees when they register, that's all, no NFC reg or QR codes or deep personal bio's of the attendees.

I've seen a few apps but mainly they are massive corp ones that want $10k a year or have no cloud upload. Any ideas?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is just using Google Sheets an option?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
If tapping a checkbox rather than swiping is an option you could use Google Keep.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

elmer chud posted:

If tapping a checkbox rather than swiping is an option you could use Google Keep.

Are you able to upload 400 names into it, I'm not sure I trust the people involved for accurate data entry? I almost need a school register type thing. I was trying to run something up in excel but you couldn't bulk insert the tick boxes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SoylentCola posted:

Are you able to upload 400 names into it, I'm not sure I trust the people involved for accurate data entry? I almost need a school register type thing. I was trying to run something up in excel but you couldn't bulk insert the tick boxes.

I'd use Google Sheets and just highlight the name as they register. The best thing about Sheets is that it's multiplayer Excel, everyone sees changes as they are made.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if you can't have everything tied to one Google account, Keep probably won't work. Not sure how well it would handle simultaneous edits on different devices even if they are all on one Google account.

With either Keep or Sheets you could copy/paste a list into it from a computer.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Verge posted:

Does anyone know an app for Facebook that kills video ads? I'm tempted to try Metal for Facebook https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nam.fbwrapper but I'm afraid it'll contain malware.

Yes, I know that Facebook *is* malware or other crapppy poo poo.

Also this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.rignanese.leo.slimfacebook

Metal for Facebook is just a nice wrapper for Facebook's mobile site. I've been using it for years now (I have the pro version) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'd use Google Sheets and just highlight the name as they register. The best thing about Sheets is that it's multiplayer Excel, everyone sees changes as they are made.

Excel Online does this too now, but I found Google Sheets easier to manage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not sure how well it would handle simultaneous edits on different devices even if they are all on one Google account.

I've had things go out of sync when making edits on a single device and later checking another device with the same account.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Have there been any posts about apps to spend your Rewards dollars on? I've got like $30 and I can't think of poo poo to buy. I guess I could get books or movies or something, but some cool apps would be fun.

I've paid for a few weather apps, reddit app, SD maid, nova prime, etc... All the usual poo poo, so now what?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jewce posted:

Have there been any posts about apps to spend your Rewards dollars on? I've got like $30 and I can't think of poo poo to buy. I guess I could get books or movies or something, but some cool apps would be fun.

I've paid for a few weather apps, reddit app, SD maid, nova prime, etc... All the usual poo poo, so now what?

I started using Screenshot Crop & Share thanks to recommendations here and it is excellent and has a few premium features like scrolling screenshots and blur that are well worth it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I buy MP3 albums from Play Music. I imagine that the artists I like are gradually lifted out of streaming poverty and up to the wealthy lifestyles of the CD era, all because I tell a computer that getting groceries was yet again a five star experience.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jewce posted:

I use it as my primary Google Play Music method so it just drains out most of that payment every month.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Mikl posted:

Metal for Facebook is just a nice wrapper for Facebook's mobile site. I've been using it for years now (I have the pro version) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Thank you! Does it kill video ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are there any dumb Android games that have a system like Star trek online with the crew where you tell your guys to go do stuff and a few hours later or days it's done and you tell them to do something else. One that doesnt involve clicking a thousand times