Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It's okay, I lost about 80 HP in one turn to smite spam. gently caress Tomb Zig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mystery Prize posted:

I am ashamed of that death. I can't believe I got paralyzed for like 12 rounds through that much MR

Yeah. Starcursed masses don't check MR I think? They just do more damage with their scream the more of them is on the screen and at 5+ can paralyze without any check as far as I know. Hitting them makes them merge back together.

They're a fucker of an enemy to run into in a zig and the amount you had on your screen was, quite frankly, terrifying. :gonk:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

so uh

I'm on D:8 and there's no downstairs, 2 down hatches but no stairs

wtf

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Indecisive posted:

so uh

I'm on D:8 and there's no downstairs, 2 down hatches but no stairs

wtf
It's rare but possible for the stairs to end up in a small area disconnected from the rest of the map. Try going down a hatch then up the stairs?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

seems like that was the case, turns out the hidden side area also has an upstair so i don't have to worry about finding a wand of digging I guess, this big wierd vault is the culprit

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
okay I see some of you folks here winning in 50-90 minutes, how do you do it? Do you skip any branches? When do you o tab and when do you slow down?

I have gotten a drat good minotaur thru Orc, Lair, and D in 40 minutes:
code:
araganzar the Executioner (Minotaur Fighter)       Turns: 22957, Time: 00:39:54

Health: 130/130    AC: 20    Str: 26    XL:     15   Next: 59%
Magic:  29/29      EV: 19    Int:  5    God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   577        SH:  0    Dex: 16    Spells: 0/14 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis .   a - +3 battleaxe (elec)
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   b - +4 scale mail of the Princeling {rC+ rCorr MP+9}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   P - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   j - +1 cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   T - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
rMut     +                      Y - +2 pair of boots "Oseici" {*Contam rElec rCorr}
MR       ++...                  r - amulet of rage
Stlth    ..........             t - ring of protection from fire
Regen    0.4/turn               O - +2 ring of evasion
I have 5 Enchant Armor - I feel like I should wait on any ego plate in orc before using them. Am I being dumb? AC is my weak point, I would like to have 25-30 AC right now...

I also have a +0 exec axe but no brand weapon. Rage and an elec baxe and mak I feel like this guy has all the tools to win fast. But I have never won in under 4 hours...I guess I could take it semi-easy and win in 2-3...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 2, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
There was a great post a couple pages back by Canine Blues on the state of spellcasting over the past few iterations of Crawl! Has there been a dialogue on Haste allowing hybrids to compete with Trog worshipers or something similar? I remember cTele removal, cBlink cost increase, and Haste removal in rapid succession. Is there another spell that could benefit hybrids or allow mages to have a consistent escape option in its stead?

Additionally, with regards to evasion, has there been a test for something like Uncanny Dodge in D&D? For example, in 1-on-1 combat you could take half damage from an attack that isn't dodged, but if your evasive character is attacked by multiple opponents you're likely to die since only one hit per `combat round` can be reduced.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Araganzar posted:

okay I see some of you folks here winning in 50-90 minutes, how do you do it? Do you skip any branches?
I ain't gone fast this tourny but when I go fast I dive lair branches, depths, and zot, and always do slime instead of vaults because it's set and with something like an oka character you can kill trj fast and easy

myDad posted:

Additionally, with regards to evasion, has there been a test for something like Uncanny Dodge in D&D? For example, in 1-on-1 combat you could take half damage from an attack that isn't dodged, but if your evasive character is attacked by multiple opponents you're likely to die since only one hit per `combat round` can be reduced.
fwiw SH is already like this in that your chance of blocking drops per each attack you take in the same turn, making it great 1v1 and significantly worse against groups(but still fairly good tbh).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

I ain't gone fast this tourny but when I go fast I dive lair branches, depths, and zot, and always do slime instead of vaults because it's set and with something like an oka character you can kill trj fast and easy

Like you don't clear the whole level each time? I have been clearing because it doesn't take that much longer in real time but maybe I am going about that wrong.

Well anyway TRJ is great advice and I have rCorr. I just got +8 glaive of the Guard {elec, +Rage AC+5 SInv} which lets me swap rage amulet for regen and I have 39MP with a scarf of spirit shield. 3EA now, used them on gloves. I think axes probably overall better for going fast but I can't pass up +rage Ac5 and Sinv...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is there a list of monsters sorted by hd anywhere?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

IronicDongz posted:

fwiw SH is already like this in that your chance of blocking drops per each attack you take in the same turn, making it great 1v1 and significantly worse against groups(but still fairly good tbh).

Yes, I think it would be neat for each primary defensive stat to have a specialization (groups, duels, ranged). However, when I referenced Uncanny Dodge & mentioned half damage I was alluding to the GDR that AC provides. Nothing big, but it could mean that characters depending on dodge for defense wouldn't get unluckily one-shot because they needed to cast one last spell in melee range or take a hit before TP moves them.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
code:
     2034810 araganzar the Executioner (level 25, 235/235 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on June 2, 2017.
             Was a High Priest of Makhleb.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 01:56:24 (47072 turns).
More than twice my fastest real time and only my 2nd sub-50k run. Good advice on TRJ, not having to run V5 or search abyss was really handy..

My teammate koboldina got a run almost twice as fast and Clan Tolkein Minorities is in first place!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Araganzar posted:

okay I see some of you folks here winning in 50-90 minutes, how do you do it? Do you skip any branches? When do you o tab and when do you slow down?

If it makes you feel better, my quickest win ever was just over 3 hours and I can't even understand how people do it in half the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

51146 | Vaults:5 | Paralysed by a great orb of eyes for 7 turns
51152 | Vaults:5 | HP: 5/201 [shadow dragon (11)]

Who needs MR right? :negative:

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Did someone ever post a pre-nerf WJC Windows tiles by any chance? Apologies if I missed it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

man, scarf of repel missiles combined with a +4 amulet of reflection is hilarious, ranged enemies just pummel themselves to death

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Doesn't repel missiles work against reflection? Or has that changed?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its amazing how quickly I can lose all motivation to keep playing. Died to a caustic shrike pack in Depths because I used all my scrolls of blinking and heal wounds pots surviving a paralysis. Had rCorr but the game decided it didn't matter and I got -16 corrosion. I really, really hate that there's nothing you can do about corrosion once its built up.

I wanted to get a frog win but I just don't have to heart to play this game right now. Its lost a lot of its charm and gotten very frustrating.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 3, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FR: Potion of Sacrificial Anode

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

code:
     2034810 araganzar the Executioner (level 25, 235/235 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on June 2, 2017.
             Was a High Priest of Makhleb.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 01:56:24 (47072 turns).
More than twice my fastest real time and only my 2nd sub-50k run. Good advice on TRJ, not having to run V5 or search abyss was really handy..

My teammate koboldina got a run almost twice as fast and Clan Tolkein Minorities is in first place!
1. Congrats!
2. Oh my god that name is amazing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
We have two weapons gods, why not an armor god. Keeps your armor nice and shiny. Immunity to Corrosion. Encumbrance reduction. Invokable ability that converts 50% of all incoming damage from non-physical attacks to physical, to get AC checked.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jon joe posted:

We have two weapons gods, why not an armor god. Keeps your armor nice and shiny. Immunity to Corrosion. Encumbrance reduction. Invokable ability that converts 50% of all incoming damage from non-physical attacks to physical, to get AC checked.

Jiyva technically does at least two of those!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

boy new tomb is a bitch now that you can't stairdance away from that big room it dumps you in on the 2nd floor

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
When I'm realtime speeding I'm generally doing o-tab until Lair, then the two branches (Swamp > Snake > Spider > Shoals if you're heavy armour fighter, Swamp > Spider > Shoals > Snake otherwise) and hopefully have some way of breaching Abyss to get its rune. Semi-skipping through Depths (because the exp it gives is rather plentiful) then scrolls of magic mapping Zot to get into 5 so the trip up isn't hampered by bad random pan lords.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a hankering to play something with Ashenzari. What classes synergize with them well? I've always just kinda played whatever, but I wanna get farther this time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I got a hankering to play something with Ashenzari. What classes synergize with them well? I've always just kinda played whatever, but I wanna get farther this time.

Ash is strongest with stabbers, but is good with literally anything.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Pollyanna posted:

One classic Ash synergy is earth elementalist, using petrify and passwall to stab while keeping a solid ability to go loud with damage spells. I like DE for that, but I doubt it's the strongest choice.

Any hybrid will also benefit from ash, since they need to spread points out more. Try Ogre ice elementalist if you want to be able to bash things and cast good spells. You start with a spell that mitigates Og's biggest drawback and the species provides a really solid chassis for a hybrid character.

If you want a wailing and gnashing of teeth type of experience, that will eventually turn very strong, versatile and fun, try DEAM^Ash. Do that only if you legitimately enjoy pain and suffering, though, and really want to learn how to get a character through the early game with unorthodox tools.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I went with a SpAs. It's working bizarrely well, especially since I found a sling to supplement my ranged with. So far, so good! Next time I'll definitely try an EE, I haven't played one of those in forever.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does dying on zot 5 two games in a row count as streaking?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Does dying on zot 5 two games in a row count as streaking?

were you naked?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally got my first win of .20, berserker still as facerolly as ever. And Trog feels even gift spammier than ever, ~69~ gifts this run, compared to 46 and 55 in older version runs which were actually way more turns also. Got 5 gifts on Snake:4 for example. I guess because I used throwing weapons this time which diluted the pool, it felt like 50% of my gifts were throwing. For the life of me I couldn't get corrosion resistance though, literally the only item the whole run with it was an acid dragon armor I had to drop 1400g on a shop to get just to try Slime for extra loot which didn't even get me anything good. Couldn't wear it to Zot though, then on Zot:1 the ENTIRE center vault where all the downstairs were was filled with goddamn yellow draconids, jellies and acid blobs and goddamn oklob plants around the stairs themselves, just to gently caress with me.

I'm really liking the update to vaults, makes it feel much more like a proper branch (i'm talking about since ages ago idk when the stuff got added). It's also nice that so much poo poo like item corrosion and permanent attribute drains and poo poo are gone too, and 3 types of goddamn enchant weapon scrolls, and scroll burning / potion shattering, poo poo was bananas and it's nice that stuff is much simpler. Can't believe Killer Klowns are still in though, so weird and out of place.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

were you naked?

imo any player who doesn't style drop every item before ascending doesn't deserve to win

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Araganzar posted:

were you naked?

No but after that I gave up on DD and the very next game I played a troll and immediately found a crystal plate armour.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Taken a few shots at winning so far, but I think I'm gonna focus on one particular playstyle for my next win. My first two were MiBe, and I'm saving that as back pocket for a last-minute win in case I have to.

My main ideas right now:
Hill Orc Fighter or Monk (depending on whether I wanna deal with the Beogh minigame)
Kobold Stabber (VM?)
Centaur Hunter

Been trying the HOFi, but I'm not sure if the CeHu would be easier.

rodbeard posted:

No but after that I gave up on DD and the very next game I played a troll and immediately found a crystal plate armour.
Bonus points if you also find randart barding before lair.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Taken a few shots at winning so far, but I think I'm gonna focus on one particular playstyle for my next win. My first two were MiBe, and I'm saving that as back pocket for a last-minute win in case I have to.

Go with a Hill Orc fighter of Makh, get invoke to 15 or so for demons, enjoy the free heals. get a battlexe or exec axe unless you find an awesome broad axe in which case HO are good at shields.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I lied I had to win anyways because I can't stand a losing streak.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20170604-042226.txt

So I have some things to say about the new version having played it.

First of all, frogs are really good. I didn't think I would like them that much but they have great apts across the board and pretty much no species limitations. So it feels like you can do a lot of things with them. Their LOS gimmick can be used to your advantage and the jumping stays useful for the entire game, making it one of the better species traits. Some people probably throw a fit over their slightly below average movement speed but its not that big of a deal when you can hop. They are a far better substitute for high elves than tengu ever will be.

Second, the new mutation system is almost good. Its a lot more fun than the old one. I've always eaten the purple for fun but its never been a really good idea with how easy it is to screw yourself over with a bad mutation. With the new system, you can start mutation gambling way earlier without as much risk of getting stuck with really bad mutations. Overall it felt a lot easier to get a good mutation set with this one than the old system, which is a lot more fun. Problem is, this still doesn't address the malmutate issue. Malmutate still feels lovely and will inevitably ruin good mutation sets, but now you can't even totally purge yourself with hoarded cure mut pots. I had a large stockpile of mutation pots going into Pan and still ended up with some mutations loving up my character a bit. So that still needs to be fixed.

New Tomb is amazingly, shockingly terrible. One of the worst things I've ever seen in this game. Tomb:2 is a total joke and I have no idea how you're expected to handle that short of burning blinking scrolls to get to the upstairs and then pretending it doesn't exist.

So yeah, I was surprised by how nice frogs are which is what motivated me to get back in for one more win, but other than that this version didn't have much going for it. New Tomb was so bad it completely killed any desire I have to 15 rune again, which is unfortunate since I don't really do 3 rune games anymore.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 4, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Haha did they remove the link to Something Awful that was under "discussion" on the Crawl webpage?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Trunko posted:

Haha did they remove the link to Something Awful that was under "discussion" on the Crawl webpage?

We're mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can probably tell I'm making this post immediately after dying to one, but I think shaft traps are really bullshit and don't add anything to the game.

• Locked thread