Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i feel like anybody recruiting gets it, and if i were to just bust out laughing and hang up on them they wouldn't be offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

boop the snoot posted:

i feel like anybody recruiting gets it, and if i were to just bust out laughing and hang up on them they wouldn't be offended.

pretty much unless its like a 1sg or CSM of course

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Last night::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We're hearing 72 dudes "killed" during this thing. We're gonna give the pao a rough day

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 13, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Slim Pickens posted:

Last night::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We're hearing 72 dudes "killed" during this thing. We're gonna give the pao a rough day

I had to be the ranking PAO for an entire rotation for a brigade.

I don’t look forward to that press release

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That's what a targeted air strike with a few 1000lb bombs will do when it hits a battalion TOC. I think they downgraded the BDA to like 25 KIA though.

The more entertaining one is the company and a half that got safety killed because one of the opfor platoons stumbled across them while they were sleeping, with nobody pulling security. Not that the security was asleep too, they had no security set up at all. Whoops!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
:staredog:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

What was it, a company full of pogs? Who the hell doesn’t set up security at least for the sake of loving with their soldiers sleep?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ahahahahahahahahaha

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
they just plum gave out

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I remember the tank field exercises and having to pull security.

gently caress that poo poo we just got in the tank and ran the heater and slept. Tied a piece of cord around the joystick for that commanders sight thing, an ITV? I can't even remember any more. But it looked like we were keeping an eye on poo poo with that dome constantly moving.

When the batteries would get low the warning would come out over the headsets and we'd just start up the tank to charge them up for a few minutes, pop the hatches for a quick look, take a piss or whatever, then power down and go back to sleep.

Could keep that poo poo up until we ran out of MREs.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Bad Poster posted:

The more entertaining one is the company and a half that got safety killed because one of the opfor platoons stumbled across them while they were sleeping, with nobody pulling security. Not that the security was asleep too, they had no security set up at all. Whoops!

Ahahaha that's the one, I made a nice video for that (but the pao never gave us an interview so we're just speculating poo poo even on the fake fox news channel), look forward to it tomorrow morning/afternoon

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The OC called me on the radio asking what to do because the PL for those guys was making a stink. I just replied "smoke 'em". The guy responded "did you say 'smoke 'em'?", so I told him "yes, god drat it, waste the motherfuckers."

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 14, 2018

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The platoon I’m OCing is awful and keeps making the same mistakes, no improvement at all since they’ve been out here.

I’ve started assessing casualties every time I show up and their security posture is nonexistent. I even give them hints on what the consequences of complacency are but they all just apathetic and lazy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'd suggest something like making them get whacked by arty, 80% casualties or something, but then they'd probably be even more lazy.

Assuming that it's at least somewhat conventional.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a morale issue to me

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My beard has decent growth from drill so far. I have 1 year on my first contract in August; good thing too; they’re talking a lot about Korea rotations for the guard here in red home. Gonna pass next month’s PT test and then tell the retention nco to either reclass me to Army Band or Discharge me. Squeeze graduates college this spring and is planning on moving in with me next month maybe? We just had a big Jazz Fest here. It was awesome. College is going good. I don’t smoke weed but I spent every dollar buying guitars and pedals and poo poo instead. Also bought a new daily driver to replace the old one. Life is good.

Seriously I own like 10 guitars now I’m so happy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can the OC give direct tips to the platoon?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

A Bad Poster posted:

That's what a targeted air strike with a few 1000lb bombs will do when it hits a battalion TOC. I think they downgraded the BDA to like 25 KIA though.

They were being really loving annoying with my unit and killing cp nodes and tocs. We were the first rotation without a recon LOA so we hit the edge of NTC at day 3. We found tocs and staging areas and wolf tac, the simulations guys, kept "messing up" our fire misisons. They explained to us that they couldn't let us kill the staging areas and stuff but it would have been nice to hear at the time. I remember being embarrassed to report a bda from a MLRS strike because we shot at 25 vics but only like 2 things died.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i got you i got you

no you didn't no you didn't

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

i got you i got you

no you didn't no you didn't

Had a fun experience when a "no you didn't no you didn't" guy got a wake up call when we switched from blanks to simunitions.

Turns out just charging around through doors without any real plan is a good way to have an amused OPFOR absolutely paste you with simunition rounds.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

A Bad Poster posted:

The OC called me on the radio asking what to do because the PL for those guys was making a stink. I just replied "smoke 'em". The guy responded "did you say 'smoke 'em'?", so I told him "yes, god drat it, waste the motherfuckers."

Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Vahakyla posted:

Can the OC give direct tips to the platoon?

You’re not supposed to, you’re supposed to ask leading questions so they figure it out, which is what I’ve been doing.

They figure it out and then do nothing to fix it. Weak NCOs and a brand new PL that’s too timid to address the problems.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

You’re not supposed to, you’re supposed to ask leading questions so they figure it out, which is what I’ve been doing.

They figure it out and then do nothing to fix it. Weak NCOs and a brand new PL that’s too timid to address the problems.

This is, in its own way, one of the most Army statements I've read yet.

Please don't take this personally, Mustang.

Here's the account above, in my own biased recounting:
1. Mustang is doing what the guidance says, even though the guidance is not meeting the intent.
2. He is doing this properly and wisely.
3. Everyone he outranks is being stupid and doesn't fix themselves.
4. This leads to disparaging the NCOs, who may well be as worthy of derision as he says (I dunno?)
5. The PL knows better, but isn't confident/strong enough to fix it, so all these enlisted people keep sucking.
6. Ergo, they suck.
7. Little/no improvement results.

8. To give Mustang some cover since it seems like I just poo poo all over him out of nowhere, which isn't my goal: Maybe, as a BN/BDE CDR, don't send the guy you've shat on all the time, who is looking to REFRAD, off to train people and gently caress up his personal time even more than has already been cataloged in this channel.

Some of the best training I've seen, on both the receiving and giving end, has been when someone's just like "welp, you people are so hosed up that I'm just going to tell you how to unfuck yourselves in no uncertain terms, then I'll shut up and see if you actually can figure out a way to put that into motion."
Some of the worst has been someone watching failure for days/weeks/months and then writing up a report of how hosed up the unit was.*

*The latter is still probably valuable if the unit is being evaluated for mission-readiness and isn't just going to be sent on the mission anyway. But that's more common to stuff like de-certifying specific skills like grounding a pilot rather than stopping a BCT from going out the door.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No it’s definitely Army as gently caress. I was targeted a lot for making my superiors feel dumb instead of playing the leading question game. I was blunt, not rude.

If you can’t figure out re-enlisting, someone needs to be blunt with you. “Don’t do it” not “Have you thought about the possible options you have at your disposal if you left service?” It’s about pride and saving face and while there is a time and place for that, I personally loved to see my leader mess up. Not because I’m an rear end in a top hat, but because it humanized them and I will work harder for someone I can relate to.

People need to buck the system.

When I was a dj at AFN, we had a playbook we had to follow. It was large and stupid. Our garrison commander called it “music picked out by people like me for their pre-teen daughters.” Everything was structured and it sucked. My boss put me and my old friend together to do a radio show and buck the system. We got yelled at a lot by going to far but holy poo poo where we popular. People would call in all the time requesting music that we would actually play. I once had an email printed out and framed because some jackass wrote an official complaint to my boss that I played Snoop Dogg’s “Drop it Like it’s Hot.” He also complained that I broke the Hatchet Act by talking about silly laws like ‘it’s illegal for horses to eat fire hydrants.’ I had another accusing me of being racist in a video we did but that was quickly dismissed. We were pretending to be LMFAO and I was the white guy.

As soon as we broke that winning system, we stopped being popular. Doing it the “Army” way worked but people stopped listening and we stopped being as effective.

I may have only been a Sergeant but you don’t have to be a senior leader to understand when to change something that is obviously not working. Maybe that’s why I stayed a lower rank.

Someone here said it best. If you were to give the choice between someone who hosed up a lot but always got work done or the lazy dude who did it, pick the lazy one. The time spent cleaning gently caress ups eats that time you could be doing something else. That and procrastinators typically find the simplest solutions that require minimal effort. This is what enabled me to play video games at work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soulex posted:

Someone here said it best. If you were to give the choice between someone who hosed up a lot but always got work done or the lazy dude who did it, pick the lazy one. The time spent cleaning gently caress ups eats that time you could be doing something else. That and procrastinators typically find the simplest solutions that require minimal effort. This is what enabled me to play video games at work.

Echoes of the short bit of Catch-22 about the man who was too lazy to fail.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySpwBpCZ-EM

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Just think about all the times you were told to do something a particular way and saying how stupid it is, only to be told "yeah, we know, but that's how they want it done."

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

My god

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

5:11 is my favorite

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvXKPFVyfrY

trigger warning: this video is about re-enlisting

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

my god

it's full of lies

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Just got done watching this one. I wonder just how old the idea that "you'll never make it on the outside" is. Like two centurions sitting in Gaul a couple thousand years ago, one talks about going back home to be a farmer and the other one telling him what a bad idea that would be.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Later, Ralphie would be fragged in Vietnam after an E-1 draftee grew sick of his E-8 bullshit.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

This was considered a bad choice in the 1950s:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Re-up? You're crazy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Re-up? You're crazy.
NO, STOP THAT

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

NO, STOP THAT

Hey, hey, captain jack. Calm down.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HURRY UP RE UP HURRY UP RE UP HURRY UP RE UP

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bad poster: my bad, check your pms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://imgur.com/gallery/vYsve

It’s gonna be rough when whites aren’t the majority in 2040. I wish I could counsel him for being such a lovely person :smithcloud: