Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Starring Kyle MacLachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper Getting Baseball Thrown At Him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I guess the Chromatics have a residency here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

These little vignettes in the booth at the end of some episodes, they might never tie up together into anything, right? They're just there for atmosphere?

And then some of them do tie together, and I don't know what to make of it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Sooo basically next to no plot progression this week. drat it Lynch!! And Frost. I want to see the Jackrabbit Palace, and that Jumping Man guy again!! And where were those woodsmen!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If any of y'all are interested, The Nine Inch Nails are livestreaming a show now here: https://www.yahoo.com/music/live-stream-panorama-nyc-festival-weekend-yahoo-music-171512639.html

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

MullardEL34 posted:

That was kinda anticlimactic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This episode seemed to serve mostly as a vehicle for tying all the plot threads together a little tighter. They're pretty much all connected now. Good episode, though it felt pretty lopsided what with a bunch of short scenes at the start and then three unbelievably long ones in a row at the end.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man I dunno, this show is just dragging on and there aren't many episodes left for things to get resolved. What even is this?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

man nurse posted:

Man I dunno, this show is just dragging on and there aren't many episodes left for things to get resolved. What even is this?

There's six hours left. That's plenty of time!

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Recap:
- Tammy gets recruited to be a part of the Blue Rose unit or whatever.
- Bad Coop's accomplices murder the prison Warden who let Bad Coop and Ray go.
- Truman visits Ben and tells him about Richard's antics.
- Sarah Palmer has a freakout in a grocery store, and also is disturbed when Hawk goes to check in on her. Apparently someone is in her house and she grumbles something to Hawk about a bad story while clenching her teeth together.
- Gordon hooks up with an eccentric French woman who has to be 30 years younger than him. Albert is pissed.
- Dianne gets a text from Bad Coop about Las Vegas.
- Dianne does a Google Map search for the coordinates on Ruth Davenport's arm. They point to Twin Peaks.
- Audrey has a dwarf husband she wants to divorce. She's worried about some guy named Billy. And she hates Tina.
- Dougie and Sonny Jim play catch. Dougie doesn't know how to catch, gets his by ball.

So is Sarah Palmer got some sort of Lodge spirit in her? I feel like that clenched teeth poo poo is something we've seen from another possessed person.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait did those coordinate numbers spell out "coordinates" in letter values?

I think the more pressing question is how typing "coordinates" in her phone gives her the location for Twin Peaks. That's some Mr. C level shenanigans.

n4 posted:

So is Sarah Palmer got some sort of Lodge spirit in her? I feel like that clenched teeth poo poo is something we've seen from another possessed person.

I think she's just psychic like she's always been, but never learned how to manage it. It's no surprise she just drinks and smokes her days away.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 31, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She used the word 'coordinates' as a mnemonic to remember the coordinates

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I just figured Diana had memorized the sequence associating with the syllables in the word "coordinates" + 2

E: beaten

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
david lynch is a loving rear end in a top hat

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

zeal posted:

david lynch is a loving rear end in a top hat

And it owns

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?
idk, i think its pretty late in the season to start introducing new plot threads (the Audrey/Billy thing, whatever is happening with Sarah Palmer, etc). Maybe everything will tie together somehow, but I have my doubts.

I've pretty much given up on Cooper coming back, too. If he does, it will be a nice surprise but I'm not holding my breath.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I knew Lynch would have a scene of him like this with a hot woman. I was waiting for it.:lol:

Episode was slower but I think I'll appreciate it more in hindsight after seeing the whole season. I trust what Lynch is doing. This show will not have a cliche expected ending and that's why I love it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 31, 2017

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I knew Lynch would have a scene of him like this with a hot woman. I was waiting for it.:lol:

to be fair, she was pretty drat hot. Can't blame him.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

polishthunder84 posted:

idk, i think its pretty late in the season to start introducing new plot threads (the Audrey/Billy thing, whatever is happening with Sarah Palmer, etc). Maybe everything will tie together somehow, but I have my doubts.

I've pretty much given up on Cooper coming back, too. If he does, it will be a nice surprise but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, unless there's a season after this (there won't be), I don't see this coming together as a satisfying third season to the series. I'm in it to the end, but I've been increasingly dissapointed by this revival. I hope to be proven wrong by the end.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love that Lynch is trolling the entire fanbase with Dougie.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I hope the last 6 episodes exclusively focus on Charlie, Billy, Chuck, Tina, Paul, Angela, Clark, Mary, Abbie, Natalie, and Trick.

Also introducing seemingly massive subplots this late into the season owns.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dougie showing up for approximately 15 seconds in this episode is the most annoying poo poo in the world and I'm glad Lynch is having fun with it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was almost definitely the worst one so far

That Audrey scene loving sucked

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Definitely a filler episode, imo the first actual demonstrable one so far. I still enjoyed it but drat do I wanna do the gesture Audrey did that I screencapped and tell Lynch to get a fuckin move on

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked most of it still but man it was definitely filler right at the time things seemed to be fully coming to a head

Also 3 eps in a row without Evil Coop now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WTF was that one cut with Jerry Horne in the distance running toward the camera?

I was expecting him to run all the way to the foreground and then be like "IT'S"

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

There are six hours left. That's three average length films, the length of possibly all three films Lynch wanted to do w/ fwwm. Maybe this is because it is TVIV, but there isn't some requirement that remaining episodes waste as much time as tv often seems to. Maybe it feels bloated and too sparse all at once because some people are finally getting to the point where they are realizing that the story they've been following for twelve hours will be using the story presented thus far + plus more pieces, and now it is clear to the people who confuse "audience participation" with a narrative to mean the creator is some sort of weird pointless pomo troll loving with them. No cooper bursting out of a cake with Ontkean as the theme plays and cherry pie being passed around. Amazing and crazy as it seems, i think this was a serious project by a lot of serious people and not some kind of artistic practical joke.

Still fun to watch "The Desire to evaluate" being unable to stop itself even when it can't get good work done yet.
By all means take advantage of the superhuman ability to shout things before the curtains even part.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Peacoffee posted:

There are six hours left. That's three average length films, the length of possibly all three films Lynch wanted to do w/ fwwm. Maybe this is because it is TVIV, but there isn't some requirement that remaining episodes waste as much time as tv often seems to. Maybe it feels bloated and too sparse all at once because some people are finally getting to the point where they are realizing that the story they've been following for twelve hours will be using the story presented thus far + plus more pieces, and now it is clear to the people who confuse "audience participation" with a narrative to mean the creator is some sort of weird pointless pomo troll loving with them. No cooper bursting out of a cake with Ontkean as the theme plays and cherry pie being passed around. Amazing and crazy as it seems, i think this was a serious project by a lot of serious people and not some kind of artistic practical joke.

Still fun to watch "The Desire to evaluate" being unable to stop itself even when it can't get good work done yet.
By all means take advantage of the superhuman ability to shout things before the curtains even part.

what are you talking about

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I totally loved the Sarah Palmer scenes and the Ben Horne scene, really could have done without the Blue Rose exposition dump and half the Audrey scene. Dougie scene was perfect.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
It was nice to hear the strange backwards sounds from Fire Walk With Me over the Sarah Palmer freakout. I think that's the best compliment I can give that episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm beginning to think we genuinely won't see James again outside of the end of episode 2 and I'm totally cool with this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm beginning to think we genuinely won't see James again outside of the end of episode 2 and I'm totally cool with this.

We'll probably see him again when Ed shows up.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

what are you talking about

I'm surprised you didn't write up a review for each of my sentences in order.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Peacoffee posted:

and now it is clear to the people who confuse "audience participation" with a narrative to mean the creator is some sort of weird pointless pomo troll loving with them. No cooper bursting out of a cake with Ontkean as the theme plays and cherry pie being passed around. Amazing and crazy as it seems, i think this was a serious project by a lot of serious people and not some kind of artistic practical joke.

That doesn't mean that Lynch couldn't have used his foresight and directorial prowess to do things he knew would bother and annoy his audience to play off of their pre-conceived expectations- not for any ulterior artistic purpose, but because he's just that kind of person and that's his style. He absolutely has done that multiple times in this show so far and I doubt he suddenly stopped for no reason in the last episode. It's a way for him to show you that you're wrong for expecting certain things out of the show and it is 100% intentional.

But being on purpose doesn't stop it from being exactly as I said, bothersome and annoying. Especially now, when it's to the point of "yeah ok I get it".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Escobarbarian posted:

His spirit was healthy and present in this episode though!!

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I think the pacing/editing of this episode was done in such a way to definitely make the audience squirm with anticipation after how revelatory last weekend's ep was. He knows what's doing to us and he's loving it i'm sure

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Peacoffee posted:

I'm surprised you didn't write up a review for each of my sentences in order.

Why do you have an issue with people expressing their opinions on an episode of television?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

On Lynch "trolling": It's pretty funny that this slow scene with Gordon and the French lady was basically a five minute long build up to a terrible pun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CJacobs posted:

That doesn't mean that Lynch couldn't have used his foresight and directorial prowess to do things he knew would bother and annoy his audience to play off of their pre-conceived expectations- not for any ulterior artistic purpose, but because he's just that kind of person and that's his style. He absolutely has done that multiple times in this show so far and I doubt he suddenly stopped for no reason in the last episode. It's a way for him to show you that you're wrong for expecting certain things out of the show and it is 100% intentional.

But being on purpose doesn't stop it from being exactly as I said, bothersome and annoying. Especially now, when it's to the point of "yeah ok I get it".

My question is, is he only able to get away with it because he's David Lynch? If it were some other writer/director, would we all be saying "Oh, I'm sure it's all intentional, it just seems like it's poorly made and bewildering, he's just trolling us"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pretty funny that they've saved Audrey for a dozen episodes just to use her as the new version of Invitation to Love