Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Sky has to build for the enemy team. If they have someone who can jump/isolate you, going atos is going to be a bad time.

Sometimes you just have to build multiple save items so you can contribute that way. Glimmer, ghost, and force staff will probably win you more games than an atos will. Solar crest is good too because you die so quick with your lovely base armor.

Better off having a pudge/lc/void being your atos for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I played two games of dota today

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
HO HO
HA HA

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I gave up on getting Magic Chicken to work. I've sunk like 300 MMR into him. I did a couple Hoodwink games, where an Offlane BB flamed me all game, but we ended up winning and I got a few clutch Sharpshooters to save him and that shut him up.

Then I had an amazing Abba game where I had about 20k heal, but our PA kept blink striking in on a Bristleback with blademail out of my heal range and dying. I kept asking him politely to stay away and use his shard, then our NP just kept feeding. He did rat out megas but not until he'd already died a million times and fed their AM to get them back in.

Like we had the game, just the stupid HG in this patch is impossible to overcome.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Has anyone been able to use Roshan's Banner in a way that feels effective? It seems like it was intended to make highground pushes less of a slog but I've yet to notice it ever really making a difference.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it can help you win more, but if you're in one of those games where the other team is weaker on the map but stronger in a 5on5 (i.e. the highground nightmare scenario), it doesn't do anything. i expect some significant change to it in 7.36 or whatever. it's a joke item

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Roshan's Banner: Item removed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Geight posted:

Has anyone been able to use Roshan's Banner in a way that feels effective? It seems like it was intended to make highground pushes less of a slog but I've yet to notice it ever really making a difference.

It's currently a neat idea but undertuned and the needs iterating upon before it'll ever "mean" anything. Kind of like how Neutral items have been added, removed, rebalanced, and then replaced with the Tokens.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

It's currently a neat idea but undertuned and the needs iterating upon before it'll ever "mean" anything. Kind of like how Neutral items have been added, removed, rebalanced, and then replaced with the Tokens.

I feel like it could be used a lot better than I often see it used, I've put it down many a time and asked my team "guard banner and slow siege with (sniper)" and team dives and feeds of course. I think it's underrated currently.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I think i read the banner effect stays with the creeps once they hit it. So you can just put the banner somewhere on your side. Could be wrong. I won't double check either

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You can cast it globally so use it to push a secondary lane and give you a slightly less disadvantageous high ground push

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's only real use case struck me as, "Plop it on that one double wave pushing some side lane the enemies aren't paying attention to"

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Yea, it's only real use case struck me as, "Plop it on that one double wave pushing some side lane the enemies aren't paying attention to"

That's how I use it too. A lot of people tend to place it in the lane they're pushing but I think it's way better creating a lane that pushes itself in parallel so that their high ground defense is forced to split off and take care of the creep wave for a bit here and there. It's not great but I also don't think it's useless unless you just place it without thinking. I kind of think it would be a much more interesting item if it didn't inform the enemy where it was placed. I don't think it would make it too much of a buff that all of a sudden it's overpowered or anything.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I think people also don't quite realize that the buff persists for a very long time. You don't need to put it right outside the enemy base; you can put it in your own base mid, or near the safelane T1s, and it'll last all the way to the enemy high ground.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It lasts 45s and it takes your creeps 30s to go from mid spawn to the enemy's T2 if not met with any obstruction, so they'll hardly have any time to make use of it. But yea you're right that most people probably place it entirely too far forward.

Apparently the Banner remains for 300 seconds which I didn't realize, though. That's 10 creep waves! That is pretty good.

Honestly I forgot it/Cheese drops depending on where he's killed, now. God DOTA is so different from the game I put thousands of hours into lol.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Oh its only 45 seconds? I thought the play was to put it at your own rax so its much harder for the enemy to destroy it, but if that means it wears off before creeps can cross the map i guess I and many others are wrong lol.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
So last weekend I met a couple I have played dota with for over 6 years in person for the first time, they are now coming to my wedding next year, life's a funny thing!

Also I've lost about 400 mmr this week, dotas been super hard. I can only win games on juggernaut and sven

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think I finally got the message to take a break until next patch when the pos1 on my team picked LC while magnus, abaddon, and omniknight were already picked by the other team. People are so bored

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think for 99% of the playerbase, patches barely move the needle on what heroes they choose to play at any given moment.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Patches and tournaments (and even like gorgc stream, unfortunately) make a big difference in what gets picked on EUW in my experience. Less so on NA but I still observe a difference

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's definitely some kind of weird daily meta on US East that I assume is influenced by recent pro games. It's not uncommon you'll have a day where there's an Invoker or a Kunkka or something in 75% of your games. And then 2 days later a bunch of games where some other hero shows up a whole lot.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Invoker is just the best hero to be

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

JollyBoyJohn posted:

So last weekend I met a couple I have played dota with for over 6 years in person for the first time, they are now coming to my wedding next year, life's a funny thing!

Also I've lost about 400 mmr this week, dotas been super hard. I can only win games on juggernaut and sven

The opposite of my life where im no longer in contact with anyone irl that i knew and introduced to dota

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
just played a match where the enemy ogre kept getting disgusting multicast sheeps off.

is there anything that mentions the bonus range of the multicast effect? or is it just me getting outskilled.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

he may have aether lens and/or that one neutral item

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i also think multicast procs off of the target you cast it on and then aoe's from there, iirc.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
seems like its the same range of the initial item or ability but around the primary. look at this poo poo, its perverted.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

its fair, ogre is canonically the strongest hero in the dota lore

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It's not properly documented in the game but the way item multicast works is the search area for multicast targets is base item cast range + cast range bonus + 600 units, which is how you get results like that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been having the worst games since I started playing again. I think I've had maybe 1 close game in 15 matches? Everything is just an absolute loving blowout.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm experiencing that as well. For the past two weeks I've gone from 1300 (on a nearly 20 game win streak) to only 750 MMR. I'm on a miserable loss streak. I decided to take a few days off, and then play some unranked a couple weeks.

Every single game is an absolute disaster that makes no sense. People that are drafting mid Witch Doctors, or like I've had in three games Snipers or Drows that don't go Hurricane pike and try to man fight WK or LS at melee range. It's like the past two weeks people forgot how to play DOTA. Even if I get a decide lane as a 4/5 with my core, at fifteen minutes something in their brain snaps and they just start rushing down side lanes and dying over and over at T2s. I can't figure how to make it work.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been on the other team thanks guys I'm Hansel, so hot right now

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I've found most of my games (3k archon - legend) are determined by how the first uphill base breach goes for either side. Everything up to that point is basically fun filler for when it's time to go uphill or defend. It's ganking and resource gathering til then. Anything can happen after a failed push and resource swing. Blowouts happen but they aren't like total death sentences today like they may have been at other points in time

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just ended a miserable game with a Mid Shadow Shaman that flamed me all game for support Abba and for not going Manta and man fighting when everyone was dead. By ten minutes, he had the mid tower down, but ember was lvl 10, he was 6, and only 5k NW. Ember was 12k NW and was just styling on us.

I'm on such a miserable loss streak. I need a break from this madness.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

gently caress this dumb rear end game.

DS game, I played well and made space for my AM. Who ended the game 2/3.

Second game, again played well. But got flamed all game from my Tusk, who then just auto followed me with their shadow blade. As I was a pos 5 “farming”. By pushing out the creepwaves.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Can we complain about dota games here? Thank god

Lost a 76 minute game last night when i had 42 kills on TA

Think my previous best was 36 on a sniper. (Won though)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I thought as I moved up the ranks a bit then at least the structure of my games would get better but like it's every game same poo poo position 4-5 clearing jungle camps and coming and nuking down waves that I'm literally inches away from lol what in God's name.

I honestly find legend worse for it than when I queue with the boys and get a mix of crusader archon (they are like 100 mmr) on the team. Maybe the role queue top up?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I do NOT like that Zeus seems to have become a right clicker

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Picking zeus or silencer mid and loading them up with agi+str is one of my favorite strats right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I've been getting some weird (bad, unwinnable) drafts lately in my games in ancient. Like, multiple assassin-type cores paired with squishy ranged supports so we end up with no tower push and no way to actually engage the other team. It's almost always a weaver last pick pos 1, when we also have like bh offlane, weaver ends up jungling all game while we lose towers then finally joining to die when we lose t3s and then the game.