Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This fight with Gherran in Alter Echo is REALLY annoying and takes far too long. I'm semi-consistently getting to the latter phases but he just has a lot of cheap shots that are hard to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I think someone mentioned it in that context because it's on my wishlist to check out...someday....

The other good news is that it's a pretty short game, you can do everything you need to do it in in 4-6 hours, so it's an easy one to clear off the list

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Legend of Zelda Oracle games have too many stupid mini games. There's two stealth sections in Seasons, and they're kinda tedious. The three dancing mini games are even worse. There's also a Cucco you pick up and have to button mash to get it to fly. I'm completely unable to mash that much. Luckily, the turbo button exists.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Last Celebration posted:

Every Dark Souls/post-Demon’s Souls From game besides Bloodborne is bad, once you learn to accept this truth life becomes much simpler. Hell, even Bloodborne only had one DLC despite being the best and shortest Souls game, and has weapons that take forever to get that are really cool and aren’t “that sword from twenty hours ago but the charged R2 is different now”, so I guess it’s bad too!

the only good from software game is lost kingdoms. its like if you wanted to make the ff7 materia system combo knights of the round 30 times but more fun because its a giant loving turtle destroying everything

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

AC Unity primer:
  • Beautiful graphics, but atrocious bugs on release.
  • The same tired game-loop of the previous installments, now without an X-Factor like naval combat.
  • Atrocious number of collectibles, most of them gated behind a worse lockpicking minigame.
  • Awful combat, busted stealth. Moves you had in previous games are now gated behind a skill-tree.
  • A surprisingly short campaign almost certainly written by a royalist who just came out of cryofreeze.

Also has no interest in explaining anything going on with the revolution so good luck understanding any character motivation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CordlessPen posted:

I remember when I was in high school and rented Devil May Cry for a weekend; I think I spent my whole Saturday trying to beat Phantom without dropping the difficulty to Easy-Auto. Also, the original DMC had a lives system so you got 2 or 3 attempts before having to replay the entire mission.

Weird. I only played DMC1 way back on the PS2 but I don't remember that at all. Maybe I beat every boss in a couple of attempts but that doesn't track with my memory of it all and and recall it being very challenging in spots. I have a vague recollection of maybe something like that happening but you still had your "points" or whatever and could, like, buy new moves or something eventually and when you got enough cool poo poo, you'd eventually be bad rear end enough.

Pretty sure I never hit a weekend long (high) brick wall though. Not sure but I'll take your word for it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

snergle posted:

the only good from software game is lost kingdoms 2 and Kuon.

:colbert:

I am currently playing Evergrace, so that might make the list too.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BiggerBoat posted:

Weird. I only played DMC1 way back on the PS2 but I don't remember that at all. Maybe I beat every boss in a couple of attempts but that doesn't track with my memory of it all and and recall it being very challenging in spots. I have a vague recollection of maybe something like that happening but you still had your "points" or whatever and could, like, buy new moves or something eventually and when you got enough cool poo poo, you'd eventually be bad rear end enough.

Pretty sure I never hit a weekend long (high) brick wall though. Not sure but I'll take your word for it.

I had a similar experience to CordlessPen. Immediately hit a brick wall against Phantom, died countless times, eventually it clicked and I cut through the rest of the game until I finished it in DMD mode. I was also like 14 at the time which may have been a factor

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Maigius posted:

The Legend of Zelda Oracle games have too many stupid mini games. There's two stealth sections in Seasons, and they're kinda tedious. The three dancing mini games are even worse. There's also a Cucco you pick up and have to button mash to get it to fly. I'm completely unable to mash that much. Luckily, the turbo button exists.

I feel the mini games are somewhat more spread out on Seasons while they really dump them in your lap in Ages during the Goron section. Even with savestates it's a bit much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's interesting how I feel like the general perspective on which Oracle game was better has changed over time, but not really because of views on the Oracle games themselves.

The comparison that always stuck with me from back then was that Seasons feels like an early Legend of Zelda game (probably helped along by its various early nods to the original), while Ages feels like the then-recent 3D Zeldas like Ocarina of Time in a 2D form (probably helped along by characters like the Mask Man). At the time that helped Ages feel like the better game because it felt generally more 'full' of different things to do, but these days it's kinda flipped because Seasons feels a lot more focused while Ages has that 'early 3D gaming' problem of having way too many weird minigames and different styles of play.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly my opinion changed too but that’s mostly because Seasons does it’s focus on action better than Ages does it’s focus on puzzles. Not that Ages sucks at puzzles of course, but Seasons ends up being more interesting because even the dungeon items are all stuff that are more engaging because of the focus on action like the magic boomerang and Roc’s Cape.

Sure would be nice to have a remake to fix the button issue thing though, LA feels made around it so iirc there’s never sequences where you’re expected to use more than two at once but Ages has at least one boss where you use three items at once.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I think it’s also that there’s a lot more loving around you have to do in Ages despite there being only two versions of the world. Seasons has 4 versions but it boils down to cycling through the seasons to the one that lets you get past the obstacle. You’re also limited to just being able to switch at specific places so there’s no guessing required

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

BiggerBoat posted:

I've only played DS1 and DS3 and have DS2 ready next but I really like both the games so far. Like, 95% of it in either game is vastly enjoyable but, man, when they throw some unfair bullshit at you it really sticks out. I don't mind spending an hour or 6-8 tries figuring out a boss or an area but when I get stuck on one and bash my head against it for an entire weekend or have to repeatedly run back to it for the privilege of getting one shot again, it can be not fun.

Those loving angels in Ringed City are about the cheapest poo poo I've hot so far though.

Both of 3s DLCs in general but Ringed City in particular were really made for the hardcore no-lifers who already had beaten the game on NG+420 wearing a blindfold. I enjoy them narratively as a nice little send-off to the series but didn't find them particularly fun to actually play.

I always find it interesting what bosses people get stuck on in tis series though. Like sure, everyone gets stomped on by the intentionally hard ones ike Malenia but, for example, I immediately understood the rhythm for fighting the Twin Princes but I have absolutely gotten stuck on fights that other people call easy filler bosses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Acute Grill posted:

I always find it interesting what bosses people get stuck on in tis series though. Like sure, everyone gets stomped on by the intentionally hard ones ike Malenia but, for example, I immediately understood the rhythm for fighting the Twin Princes but I have absolutely gotten stuck on fights that other people call easy filler bosses.

When Metroid Prime 2 was new, I remember it actually became a bit of an observable phenomena that you'd have a lot of trouble with either the Boost Guardian or the Spider Guardian. The other will range from 'piece of cake' to 'I guess that was kinda tough', but the one you find harder will be the hardest boss in the game. And it's because they're at complete opposite ends of the spectrum of difficulty Metroid plays in; Spider Guardian is a full-on puzzle boss, while Boost Guardian is a 'no thinking, just violence' kind of fight that's very reliant on your skill in the actual combat part of the game.

There's definitely a fair few bosses in Souls games that have a similar thing going on, that challenge a particular part of the game's required skillset so singularly that you'll ace it if you have that one thing down, but you'll have a lot of trouble if you don't.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Acute Grill posted:

Both of 3s DLCs in general but Ringed City in particular were really made for the hardcore no-lifers who already had beaten the game on NG+420 wearing a blindfold. I enjoy them narratively as a nice little send-off to the series but didn't find them particularly fun to actually play.

A huge part of why Malenia trips so many people up, honestly, is because she's genuinely not like any other boss in terms of design. She doesn't play by the usual super armor, poise or stance rules. The vast majority of her animations have super armor - meaning you can't stun her in any way or knock her down - and she can cancel out of an uncommonly bizarre number of her animations to do her dodge animations, among other things. This all interacts very weirdly with the stance break system, wherein if you lower her stance gauge to zero during one of her animations where she has super armor; there's a very good chance she's just going to keep on going and unless you keep hitting her, she's going to recover her stance and the stance break just never happens.

Anyway, I'm not much of a dark souls no lifer but I didn't have that much issue with the dark souls 3 DLC beyond the more environmental horse poo poo like angels and ruin sentinels gently caress those guys.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, she's the kind of boss that I know of multiple people changing their character build just to cheese her and then changing it back after. I definitely don't disagree with most of the complaints people have about Elden Ring but at least for the major fights they did a good enough job at sheer spectacle that I didn't notice when they were loving with me on mechanics.

What was most missing for me in Elden Ring was the lack of a "companion" NPC. Melicent, Alexander and Blaidd all almost full the time but the nature of the open world combined with FromSofts design style make it pretty easy to sequence break or miss them entirely, while the knights and Lucatiel are often sitting right on the critical path waiting for you to talk to them.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, I'm not blaming the game at all (although I do prefer the Gold orb system of the later games); it was my first character action game and I just wasn't very good at it. Your post just reminded me of my most memorable "bashing your head against the wall" moment.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Nuebot posted:

A huge part of why Malenia trips so many people up, honestly, is because she's genuinely not like any other boss in terms of design. She doesn't play by the usual super armor, poise or stance rules. The vast majority of her animations have super armor - meaning you can't stun her in any way or knock her down - and she can cancel out of an uncommonly bizarre number of her animations to do her dodge animations, among other things. This all interacts very weirdly with the stance break system, wherein if you lower her stance gauge to zero during one of her animations where she has super armor; there's a very good chance she's just going to keep on going and unless you keep hitting her, she's going to recover her stance and the stance break just never happens.

Anyway, I'm not much of a dark souls no lifer but I didn't have that much issue with the dark souls 3 DLC beyond the more environmental horse poo poo like angels and ruin sentinels gently caress those guys.

The trick to Mel is knowing when you can hit her and when you can’t: She has a few attacks (in both phases) that leave her wide open to a few free hits. The real trick with her is to stay the hell away from her when at all possible and not getting greedy because like you said, she doesn’t really stagger. Even blocking her regular strikes will let her regen health. I think I had the most success dual wielding godskin peelers, charging in with a running R2 and then backing off. Also had some success with dual thorned whips and using jumping attacks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

The trick to Mel is knowing when you can hit her and when you can’t: She has a few attacks (in both phases) that leave her wide open to a few free hits. The real trick with her is to stay the hell away from her when at all possible and not getting greedy because like you said, she doesn’t really stagger. Even blocking her regular strikes will let her regen health. I think I had the most success dual wielding godskin peelers, charging in with a running R2 and then backing off. Also had some success with dual thorned whips and using jumping attacks.

I just put frost on my big swords and hit her like twice, then she took more damage when I hit her like twice more. Second form was basically identical. :shepface:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Almost every darksouls boss is 100% stagger immune though???

unarmored human-sized bosses like Friede or Malenia who you can hitstun when they're not in the middle of a super-armor move are a rare exception

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

unarmored human-sized bosses like Friede or Malenia who you can hitstun when they're not in the middle of a super-armor move are a rare exception

Most bosses in all of the souls games can be staggered and elden ring was built around the stance break system which you can use to fairly well effect on every boss, including the final one, except largely Malenia because of how she cheats the whole thing with her animations and super armor. Nor are human-sized or at least human-shaped bosses you can reliably hit stun particularly rare. Like, you're just flat out wrong about everything in your post :psyduck:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Malenia also can’t be conventionally parried despite being an approximately human sized enemy with a sword. She also heals when you block her attacks even if she doesn’t do damage. She’s just a stupid boss.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Nuebot posted:

Most bosses in all of the souls games can be staggered and elden ring was built around the stance break system which you can use to fairly well effect on every boss, including the final one, except largely Malenia because of how she cheats the whole thing with her animations and super armor. Nor are human-sized or at least human-shaped bosses you can reliably hit stun particularly rare. Like, you're just flat out wrong about everything in your post :psyduck:

To be clear, Malenia can absolutely be stance broken but you can't do it when she's in a move - and because she's constantly moving and attacking, that's pretty much all the time. Once she begins a move animation, she's immune until it finishes. The other bummer is that she's immune to ripostes so even if you do manage to poise break her, she just wobbles around for a few seconds and then resumes attacking.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nah. Most of them can be staggered if you know what you're doing. Some cannot be riposted/critical hit though. iirc there are rings/gear/weapon arts that help you deal extra poise damage. Big, heavy-hitting weapons tend to do it better than others.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Oct 5, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nuebot posted:

Hitstun/poise-break staggers and stance break are completely different things. Most normal enemies in ER have both, with two separate gauges.

Like go wail on margit or the last giant or vordt or the asylum demon with the biggest ultra greatsword you can find, they won't flinch or stagger or react to your hits at all
...until you fill margit's stance-break meter and he goes down for a guaranteed riposte
It's completely different from the system of being able to hit-stun stagger normal enemies and NPC red phantoms, which is the system that NPC bosses like Friede, Malenia, DS2's shulva ganksquad etc use. Hit one of those (when they're not doing an uninterruptible move), and they'll stagger every time 100% of the time, as long as your weapon is big enough.

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Oct 5, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah Malenia can be stunned between her attacks, and she can be poise broken. It's just she is immune to the effects of either when she is mid attack. Bait an attack and you can punish. Hit her hard enough and you can floor her in one hit! It's how I beat her in less than a minute with the Royal Greatsword-- the ash of war explosion puts her flat on the ground and you can just repeat.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

One positive thing about Malenia is that she's not a 60 foot monstrosity in a 70 foot room.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kazil posted:

One positive thing about Malenia is that she's not a 60 foot monstrosity in a 70 foot room.

Ulcerated Tree Spirits are the best cyrpt boss

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BirdOfPlay posted:

I hate those things so much. I don’t know why From loves doing that thing where the camera becomes the primary hazard. See also: the giant king in DS2, the iron golem in DS1. I’m sure there are others.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frank Frank posted:

I hate those things so much. I don’t know why From loves doing that thing where the camera becomes the primary hazard. See also: the giant king in DS2, the iron golem in DS1. I’m sure there are others.

The Pus Of Man on 3 were the worst. It was basically impossible to figure out their hitboxes were, and what range the attack they were doing would have. Also they would freak out and the camera would go nuts. Thank god you could just fire bomb them and them wail on them, they were terrible fights.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BirdOfPlay posted:

Coolest part about them is they straight up noclip out of enclosed arenas when doing some attacks.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I can't believe someone thought that fight was good enough to put in the game a dozen times.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Acute Grill posted:

I can't believe someone thought that fight was good enough to put in the game a dozen times.

It's fine when it's outside. The model is cool and it has a neat moveset.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The giant Medusa head and crush block mini-boss in Hades really isn’t fun.

Her range spam is annoying but the real kicker is the the entire arena is ringed by lava and since she’s a flying enemy she’ll just camp above the lava forcing me to dash in, deal a small amount of damage, then dash out to avoid the burn damage.

Actually, the more I think about it I don’t think I really like any of the mini bosses, I generally avoid their rooms because I just don’t want to deal with them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The sections of dungeons where you send Mimi to explore while still having encounters is dumb and just bog the game down. Ringo's party still encounters enemies, but you don't have access to Ringo's ability to slash at the random encounter monsters (so they get knocked down and you can just... not fight them) so you HAVE to start the fights, and the areas Mimi get sent into are long stretches so you're going to be having a few encounters each time you go into them.

Just slows the dungeon exploration down and just feels like a waste of time.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Tunic is a great idea with awful execution. The fixed perspective is obnoxious as hell and the overuse of the “holy cross” for every single late-game puzzle is just obnoxious.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

The giant Medusa head and crush block mini-boss in Hades really isn’t fun.

Her range spam is annoying but the real kicker is the the entire arena is ringed by lava and since she’s a flying enemy she’ll just camp above the lava forcing me to dash in, deal a small amount of damage, then dash out to avoid the burn damage.

Actually, the more I think about it I don’t think I really like any of the mini bosses, I generally avoid their rooms because I just don’t want to deal with them.

Don't pursue her into the lava. Stay on the land/make some distance and she'll teleport closer to you

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Death Loop seems like a fun game, but it has an issue where the frame rate constantly shifts between smooth 60 fps and jagged jerky 20 fps, and when poo poo really heats up sometimes it shifts down to like 1 fps or even seconds-long freezes. All the settings are at their lowest... it seems I guess it's time to upgrade my rig to something that can handle this better. As it is, the game is unplayable; very frequently I am murdered by something I can't see during a frozen-screen assault.

The only other game that performs this badly on my machine is Cyberpunk 2077. It's an old PC I guess but can still usually maintain ~50 fps on modern releases on medium settings.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, my tower is on the edge of no longer meeting minimum requirements for a lot of games and new releases range between "play this at 60fps on nearly max settings" and "actual slideshow." In Elden Ring's case it even changes patch to patch!

I knowingly bought ER when I knew it was gonna be an issue so it's not really a complaint about the game but a complaint about needing to exchange money for goods and services.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
On outdated rigs (I have one too), are there tools that can tell whether lousy performance is due to CPU or GPU constraint? GPU prices are finally more reasonable and I'd love to know if throwing a beefier card in would help or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The only thing dragging Tunic down is the very last puzzle (which is completely optional). There is no way to reasonably ask a player to do that

Otherwise it is a perfect game