Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hooray! I will bask in the glory of this beautiful admin moment.

edit: mmmmm, glory basking top of page snipe. It's good to be the admin. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
English is the Calvinball of languages.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

In Shakespeare's time, "prove" was pronounced as we pronounce "love" today.

I'd like to see a source for this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Words have a fluid pronunciation that changes over time, thus, poetry should be banned

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Words have a fluid pronunciation that changes over time, thus, poetry should be banned

It should be banned anyways because Robert Frost crushed it with Nothing Gold Can Stay, and there won't be anything that ever tops it. It's basically the '85 Bears of poetry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Old shakespeare is basically you pretend to be in the wurzels.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

Check out the more recent episodes of Behind the Bastards on Gabriele D'Annunzio, a poet who was largely responsible for the creation of modern fascism. People thought he was some national treasure because his poetry was so good...but he turned out to be a total psycho and used his influence for serious evil.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

It should be banned anyways because T.S. Elliot crushed it with The Wasteland, and there won't be anything that ever tops it. It's basically the '85 Bears of poetry.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
TS Elliot was a royalist motherfucker and a firm believer in bootstraps, gently caress him and gently caress his hollow men and gently caress his loving Fisher King.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

A Book for every Mortal fit,
For ſome Men read--but all Men ----.
C'mon, now, this rhyme is golden. :allears:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We must also remenber that TS Eliot was responsible for Cats.

Meow and forever.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

In Shakespeare's time, "prove" was pronounced as we pronounce "love" today.

luv2pruv

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Pookah posted:

Who'd have thought the custom of giving gimmicky books as Christmas presents was an actual 250 year-old tradition?

(fake edit: A compleat edition of thif moft diverting manufcript if available here)

i'm foft

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
thif guy fuckf

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Merry_Meredith/status/1232733272473509890

sound on

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I laugh every time at that pic, even after all these years

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd like to see a source for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Who'd have thought the custom of giving gimmicky books as Christmas presents was an actual 250 year-old tradition?

(fake edit: A compleat edition of thif moft diverting manufcript if available here)

Everyone probably already knows, but just in case there's anyone around who isn't entirely familiar with 300 year old poop jokes - 'boghouse' = toilet, 'close-stool'= toilet 'convenience'=toilet, 'fundamentals' = fundament=arse, 'privy' = toilet. And that last little rhyme is excellent - only very coarse people who know a very coarse word will get it, so no-one can complain it's rude because they'd have to admit they know a very rude word.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pookah posted:

And that last little rhyme is excellent - only very coarse people who know a very coarse word will get it, so no-one can complain it's rude because they'd have to admit they know a very rude word.
:saddowns:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pookah posted:

Everyone probably already knows, but just in case there's anyone around who isn't entirely familiar with 300 year old poop jokes - 'boghouse' = toilet, 'close-stool'= toilet 'convenience'=toilet, 'fundamentals' = fundament=arse, 'privy' = toilet. And that last little rhyme is excellent - only very coarse people who know a very coarse word will get it, so no-one can complain it's rude because they'd have to admit they know a very rude word.

Everyone Poopf

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cyrano4747 posted:

No pic just adding a post to this to see if the thread is broken. Hey PYF, enjoy your silly pics

Oh sure, post in a pic thread that doesn't probate those that don't include pics.

:v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm pretty sure that books at that time were generally sold only loosely bound, without the cover boards, as proper publisher bindings weren't a common thing at that point. You'd buy it and then get your own binding put on, or things that were published as part works, you'd collect them up and get it bound at the end, so it was probably easier to pull off the pages!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sulla Faex posted:

thif guy fuckf

Lobok posted:

Everyone Poopf

:wrong: they ufed s at the end of words, it was only when s preceded other characters that they ufed f

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

(Shaft!)
Right on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm pretty sure that books at that time were generally sold only loosely bound, without the cover boards, as proper publisher bindings weren't a common thing at that point. You'd buy it and then get your own binding put on, or things that were published as part works, you'd collect them up and get it bound at the end, so it was probably easier to pull off the pages!
It's toilet paper, even if you have good bindings available and trendy you're not exactly going to want it for The Boghouse Miscellany.

Most people have no idea how many writing jobs toilet paper on a roll killed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

An ice cream man would be good with kids.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That gangtag tells me you know all of the swears :colbert:.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NtotheTC posted:

:wrong: they ufed s at the end of words, it was only when s preceded other characters that they ufed f

alſo a long ſ is not an f!!! :argh:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

King High Priest

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"Officers were reportedly concerned the goat, named Cocoa, might charge.

The 2-year-old, 35-pound creature was later brought down by its owner, whom the goat is said to hold in high regard."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Old shakespeare is basically you pretend to be in the wurzels.
These guys?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Screaming Idiot posted:

TS Elliot was a royalist motherfucker and a firm believer in bootstraps, gently caress him and gently caress his hollow men and gently caress his loving Fisher King.

Still better than Ezra Pound.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Phanatic posted:

Still better than Ezra Pound.

That's not a very high bar to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Screaming Idiot posted:

Didn’t insult The Waste Land so we cool