Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Fists are absolutely not worthless what even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

christmas boots posted:

Right? What else am I supposed to trust?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

christmas boots posted:

They hurt my mashing thumb but yeah, not bad by any stretch. Also lol at the shield not being good. Hades is the first game I’ve 100%-ed in years. Love that game a great deal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

christmas boots posted:

My playstyle is mostly revolving around keeping some distance to get time to dodge, so the Gift of Darkness landing on the fists is mostly a recipe for a very short run. The only time I cleared with the fists in the ten runs to hit the credits was the last one, and that was mostly because I didn't have to fight Hades that time.

The shield I was actually decent with, but that's because I quickly caught on to how to use the Zeus shield's Roundtrip special to just be REALLY busted.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Oct 11, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I remember the hidden fist aspect being the worst time I had with it. Gilgamesh? Just didn’t like the style it forced you to use. My favorites were the shield when I first started out and then the bow and gun once I got good iirc

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Too much of the build variety in Hades was put into the weapon variants. The actual boons don't contain enough difference so after a point it's just never exciting to find a specific build. And the optimal builds are so very straightforward. If I get zeus on my main attack on a fast weapon or one of the +% damage ones (don't really care which) on a slow attack weapon then that's like 90% of what I'm going to be doing that run. And it's really easy to force those. Throw in the occasional tidal dash build, some very rare magic builds, and some even rarer weapon builds that require 2-3 specific upgrades and you've got basically every relevant build in the game.

I enjoyed the game but the build variety is very shallow and front-loaded. There's no feeling of a build coming together and changing up your play like in Isaac in the vast majority of your runs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

i think an inevitable consequence of Hades getting so big is that it ended up on the radar of people who weren't familiar with roguelites and didn't really vibe with them

OTOH I don't normally vibe with rougelikes at all but I loved Hades and got all the achievements for it. I think sometimes you get those "just outside" games that work for certain people but put others way off, regardless of how they normally feel about things

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lost Judgment

The main plot is spurred by what initially seems to be an act of sexual assault in a public space, and the matter is treated seriously with weight and dignity.
The side-content has you fight against a returning gang of perverts whose members include "Professor Panty" and "rear end Catchem" and whose sex crimes are played for laughs.

Yagami can date four women, only one of whom is in his age range. He can't reject any of them either.

I had to dial the difficulty down at the end of the Boxing storyline, because you have a rematch against a dude who gained 50 lbs of muscle inside of a weekend and doesn't bother hiding the fact he can read your inputs to the frame.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat, spoilers bro, didn’t know the four kings were coming back.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Oxxidation posted:

i think an inevitable consequence of Hades getting so big is that it ended up on the radar of people who weren't familiar with roguelites and didn't really vibe with them

I just liked the previous Supergiant games a lot and was drawn in by the promise of, well, it being a Supergiant game

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I do like roguelikes and I didn't like Hades.

I think it's because decent builds were too prescriptive. Even beyond FTL's 'your build needs to be capable of actually destroying a ship' (which when you say it sounds like a very silly requirement to not meet), I felt like to get anywhere with Hades I needed to babysit my own build progression with keepsakes to get the good stuff, which kinda completely destroys the fun of randomness.

I'm gonna need the Athena dash no matter what build I have. The only shield I could use is only really good with the Zeus special buff, the only fun bow is the one that stacks casts when used with Poseidon's or Aphrodite's, the spear needs range buffs that aren't easily spawned to be worth using, the fists are kinda worthless no matter what... all that coupled with the rarity of a boon being a huge factor means that Hades ruined the potential fun of randomness by having so many of its possible random boons feel like bad rolls.

This feels pretty much the opposite of my experience. Athena's dash is a total crutch and most of the other options are perfectly viable or even superior with the right build. The shield is OP and all its aspects are good. Same with the bow. I agree the spear is kind of the weak link but the fists are incredible. My own approach to builds, especially at higher heats, was to go with whatever weapon had the gift of darkness, pick whichever aspect I felt like fooling around with, pick a keepsake to try to get a synergistic boon off the bat, and then just kind of build from there. Sometimes I get unlucky and end up with total garbage even after rerolling a bunch of boons and the last boss is a real skill test. Sometimes I luck out, everything comes together, and I stomp everything to death. Sometimes my available options pull me towards something else and if I lean into it I get a different yet still really cool approach that works out

That's just me, anyway. I don't particularly like the genre but Hades was excellent and I platinum'd it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Yakuza and Yakuza-likes are really good games but yeah. There's a lot of gross sexual stuff in them. Playing Judgement now and it's kinda sad to know that I have the exact same creepy bullshit to look forward to in the sequel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lost Judgment
Yagami can date four women, only one of whom is in his age range. He can't reject any of them either.

god loving dammit, again?

the romances in the first Judgment were the exact same way and always framed you as an rear end in a top hat for turning any of them down. even worse, the most “normal” one had a pathological fear of infidelity while the game encouraged you to two-time all of your dates

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I was a producer on a Yakuza-like I'd give the hero a canon love-interest and replace the dating mechanic with a fishing minigame or something.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kiryu already has a canon love interest

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always got a bit creeped out when Kiryu/Majima date their employees in the cabaret club sections.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cleretic posted:

My playstyle is mostly revolving around keeping some distance to get time to dodge
Sounds like you need to adjust your playstyle then. What I liked the most about Hades is how different the weapons felt, and that I had to approach each of them a little different as well. I played through with all aspects of all weapons, and there's only a few that I don't vibe with (as someone said, Gilgamesh!Fists is not my cuppa either, and I don't really gel with the spear). I always use the weapon that gives you more Darkness, it's great!

My biggest complaints about Hades are honestly just nitpicks. Fishing is superfluous and I keep getting annoyed at still missing some of them. The shield dudes in Elysium are super annoying to fight. I don't really like the challenge rooms that high heat unlocks, it's too hard (for my playstyle, heh) to not get hit and thus it's never worth it - I especially can't imagine ever taking a 15 heat one in Elysium. Otherwise, amazing game!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The only video game character it has ever been okay to date is still just Barrett

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Lone Badger posted:

I always got a bit creeped out when Kiryu/Majima date their employees in the cabaret club sections.

I can't remember, do they actually date their employees, or just go out on one-on-ones with drinks to converse and basically help them figure out their life problems?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Morpheus posted:

I can't remember, do they actually date their employees, or just go out on one-on-ones with drinks to converse and basically help them figure out their life problems?

It's been forever since I played but that's how I remember it. The only real dates came from the phone dating minigame

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Morpheus posted:

Its that (or at least mainly that, I think theres a few "Kiryu thinks shes about to proposition him, but its a comic misunderstanding and shes talking about someone/something else" moments), but I dont remember if the game itself refers to them as "dates" or if thats just how people talk about them because they have the dating game "pick the options to see meter go up" mechanics.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Besides, Kiryu is chaste and has never done anything with a woman beyond that weird sorta hug they give him around his waist.

When they go into hotels and everything fades to pink it's simply the woman's feeling of relief as Kiryu gives them a pep talk to raise their spirits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Simply Simon posted:

Sounds like you need to adjust your playstyle then. What I liked the most about Hades is how different the weapons felt, and that I had to approach each of them a little different as well. I played through with all aspects of all weapons, and there's only a few that I don't vibe with (as someone said, Gilgamesh!Fists is not my cuppa either, and I don't really gel with the spear). I always use the weapon that gives you more Darkness, it's great!

My biggest complaints about Hades are honestly just nitpicks. Fishing is superfluous and I keep getting annoyed at still missing some of them. The shield dudes in Elysium are super annoying to fight. I don't really like the challenge rooms that high heat unlocks, it's too hard (for my playstyle, heh) to not get hit and thus it's never worth it - I especially can't imagine ever taking a 15 heat one in Elysium. Otherwise, amazing game!

I would prefer not to, I did not really enjoy Hades when I did play it through to the credits, and I actually enjoyed it even less when using the fists or sword. I'm especially not trying to hit 15 goddamn Heat, working my way up to that sounds like agony.

For all the crap we give the spear, it was up with the shield as my best weapon, possibly even beating it in clears. The spear can fill the goddamn room with the right boons, the only problem is that build needs a Daedalus Hammer or two so it's a total crapshoot if you'll get it together.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

kiryu already has a canon love interest

*ahem*

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Morpheus posted:

I think the furthest it ever gets is some of them developing a crush on Kiryu/Majima, but the latter are too dense to realize it, let alone reciprocate it. Otherwise yeah it's mostly comic misunderstandings and helping them with their life problems.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Besides, Kiryu is chaste and has never done anything with a woman beyond that weird sorta hug they give him around his waist.

When they go into hotels and everything fades to pink it's simply the woman's feeling of relief as Kiryu gives them a pep talk to raise their spirits.

This is true, Kiryu is as chaste as he is non-homicidal. Truly the purest of souls.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Kiryu probably hosed once but then noticed it emptied his heat gauge and never did it again

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I'm enjoying white day but the janitor is a real drag. He takes forever to gently caress off so you can explore or do a puzzle or whatever and he always seems to be patrolling where you need to be.

Also the fact that they removed like 70 percent of the ghost encounters in normal mode. You have to play on hard or higher to see the ghosts that you read about in all of the ghost stories scattered around the school. Without the ghost encounters the game is just not as scary.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

bossy lady posted:

I'm enjoying white day but the janitor is a real drag. He takes forever to gently caress off so you can explore or do a puzzle or whatever and he always seems to be patrolling where you need to be.

Also the fact that they removed like 70 percent of the ghost encounters in normal mode. You have to play on hard or higher to see the ghosts that you read about in all of the ghost stories scattered around the school. Without the ghost encounters the game is just not as scary.

Yeah and if you play on hard, the janitor is faster and takes even longer to gently caress off. Gets really frustrating especially since the mechanics surrounding if he can see/you are not clear in the slightest

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

CJacobs posted:

Wait this I didn't get. As of BL3 can't you just walk up to the new u and spend some money? Did they change that or is the new u's cost just stupid high per level?

Edit: Looked it up and in the other games it looks like it doesn't scale with your level, it's just a flat 10% of your current money which uh, kinda would suck if you had a lot.

The act of respec’ing is still very easy and money isn’t the problem. The UI on console is painful to reallocate points with and still doesn’t allow you to undo single spent points. Made a mistake, respec again. Tiny tiny has myth rank which is badass rank. Points are spent in an alternating fashion between four main skills each with their own sub skills. Allocating myth points on console is a slog so fortunately they have separated skill and myth point reset.

The key thing is the lack of saved load outs which clashes with the new character system

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The camera angle in Live A Live means that I can't see some of the character animations in the prehistoric chapter because Pogo's dumb Gorilla BFF is stading behind him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I swear I post this every time I replay this game; but I've been playing MS Saga: A New Dawn again and the game's premise is that you get different mobile suits, mix and match parts and play inventory tetris to best equip them. It's a bunch of fun, especially early on when you're trying to basically minmax the stats you want with your limited budget. But later on it gets kind of lame when the best suits in the game just come to you whole as-is, like all of their parts provide massive stat boosts so there's no reason to mix and match anymore, you're just going to roll around with a full party of wing gundam units or whatever. I wish they'd make another of these games though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Why does that guy's face show up halfway through?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Some of the inn rooms in Eastshade are TOO cozy, and are making my normal modern-day bedroom seem cold and unwelcoming in comparison. :colbert:

God, I'm :sueme:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Elden Ring: I’m using an axe on my second play through as opposed to a greatsword, and something I’m noticing that’s kinda lame now that I’m not using a sword is how many ashes of war that aren’t “cast spell that scales off weapon rank” (Hoarfrost Stomp, Flame of the Redmanes, etc) favor swords. It seriously feels like if you don’t use a sword/greatsword of some kind you’re just kinda gimping yourself slightly since even stuff that’s not really “swordy” like Double Slash and one of the sonic booms ashes requires one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Last Celebration posted:

Elden Ring: I’m using an axe on my second play through as opposed to a greatsword, and something I’m noticing that’s kinda lame now that I’m not using a sword is how many ashes of war that aren’t “cast spell that scales off weapon rank” (Hoarfrost Stomp, Flame of the Redmanes, etc) favor swords. It seriously feels like if you don’t use a sword/greatsword of some kind you’re just kinda gimping yourself slightly since even stuff that’s not really “swordy” like Double Slash and one of the sonic booms ashes requires one.

True facts. I think the only great/colossal weapon that really out performs The Great Sword in terms of raw power is the duelist great axe and that's not by much.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Phantasy Star Online 2 - since it launched on a PS4 in English I decided to give it a try and what drags it donw for me is that it's free-to-play, with obvious parts of it: login bonuses, staggered rewards, limited rewards, cash shop. I have fond memories of playing the first on on the Dreamcast, Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Nova, and seeing enemies not drop items after death and notices that certain rare-items-containing chests are limited per account just made me stop. The gameplay is dynamic and interesting and this part I really like, but not being able to find a random great drop from an enemy feels really bad.

It's probably more profitable for them, but I'd rather just buy a full version and grind for rare looking boxes turn out to be Scape Dolls on inspection. I wish they translated Nova instead:/

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ah come the gently caress on, Forbidden West. How the gently caress are you going to stick me a room away from GIANT MUTANT 1000 YEAR-OLD TED FARO and then have him killed off-screen without me even getting to see him. What the gently caress? Why?

I am genuinely angry at whoever made this game for doing that. It seems like it was a choice made to deliberately antagonize the player who wants nothing more than to kill Ted Faro

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Frank Frank posted:

Ah come the gently caress on, Forbidden West. How the gently caress are you going to stick me a room away from GIANT MUTANT 1000 YEAR-OLD TED FARO and then have him killed off-screen without me even getting to see him. What the gently caress? Why?

I am genuinely angry at whoever made this game for doing that. It seems like it was a choice made to deliberately antagonize the player who wants nothing more than to kill Ted Faro

I'm glad. For one, whatever we imagine is going to be way grosser than what they show. For another, it was already bad to include him, Ted, King rear end in a top hat at all. The horror of his evil was that he would never get his comeuppance as he was safely ensconced in the past. Showing us his mutated form and letting Aloy kill him would have been far too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Phigs posted:

Creators who think whether or not to execute the big bad when you get the chance is an interesting moral dilemma shouldn't make media where the protagonist murders tonnes of people on the way to the big bad guy.

From a couple pages back, but Ghost Recon: Wildlands had two endings that I'm pretty sure were backwards.

Normal ending: You finally get to the Big Bad, he willingly surrenders because he offered up a bunch of other cartel heads to the CIA, and Bowman blows his brains out, gets arrested, and the ending cutscene has a voiceover of her talking about how she had to because he was a monster and killed her friend and such. It also talks about the sudden power vacuum in the cartel and how it's not going to get any better down there.

100% ending: Same thing, but instead Sueno is taken into custody, provides intel on other cartel leaders that gets them shut down (thus causing Santa Blanca to have more control over the whole drug trade), and Bolivia stays the shitshow it is and nothing gets better.

The gratifying ending is the one you get for not 100%ing the game and that just feels wrong.