Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Went out last night and picked up:

Eyes Without a Face
Zazie dans la Metro
Jubal
The Uninvited
I Married a Witch
Kuroneko

Goodbye, money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thirding the recommendation for Exterminating Angel, which is one of my top 100 films. Viridiana is really good too, though.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Definitely go with Exterminating Angel over Viridiana, that's an easy decision.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Picked up a few Blu-rays yesterday:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
The Qatsi Trilogy
Sansho The Bailiff
Black Orpheus

At this point, I'm going to need a bigger shelf...

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Jealous of that collection, it has pretty much every non-Godard Criterion Blu-Ray I own in it, and a bunch I was debating on getting this sale like The Killing, Wings of Desire, Sweet Smell of Success, and a few others.

Does anyone have any input on the Two-Lane Blacktop DVD vs the Blu-ray? I know the Blu-ray doesn't have the included screenplay that comes with the DVD, which is why I'm really leaning towards the DVD release.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
You're crazy to not get the blu. All that delicious grain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ntrhlDr8MU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations for Bunuel, everyone. I went with Exterminating Angel. Maybe next time I'll pick up Viridiana.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is it worth Nashville based on the fact that I love Slacker and the description makes Nashville sound like Slacker in a different city with music?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Chungking Express is by far my favorite Wong Kar-wai film.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Pfirti86 posted:

It's really quite good.

This reminds me - does anyone else ever run into this problem? I love Wong Kar Wai, but I haven't seen In the Mood for Love. I'm torn on getting it in Criterion BR sooner rather than later so I can see it, but then I think, "Oh, it's on Netflix, I shouldn't shell out money for it." Weeks and months pass, though, and I don't watch it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Hewlett posted:

This reminds me - does anyone else ever run into this problem? I love Wong Kar Wai, but I haven't seen In the Mood for Love. I'm torn on getting it in Criterion BR sooner rather than later so I can see it, but then I think, "Oh, it's on Netflix, I shouldn't shell out money for it." Weeks and months pass, though, and I don't watch it.

I'm really not so much into owning CC DVDs/Blu-Rays as just watching them (as it's rare for me to watch something more than once). So I mostly rent them from my local university library (one of the perks of being a post-doc), or watch them on Netflix/Hulu if I'm up for it. It's a way cheap way to enjoy film!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hewlett posted:

I haven't even delved into the special features, but In the Mood For Love shot up as one of my favorite movies. I don't care where you see it (the correct answer is BR though), but watch it. I'm still hoping that Criterion gets the rights to The Grandmaster.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

boom boom boom posted:

Is it worth Nashville based on the fact that I love Slacker and the description makes Nashville sound like Slacker in a different city with music?

Nashville is worth it because it's one of the greatest movies ever made. But yeah, if you liked Slacker you'll probably like Nashville. I can see the similarities.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Nashville is much less "out there," but also a much better film (and I love Slacker).

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Slacker and Nashville are two of my favorite movies for very similar reasons so definitely go for it, just be aware that they're very dissimilar movies, too.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pfirti86 posted:

It's excellent, but I have a hard time watching it without immediately following it up with Fallen Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEsn9hfbtHQ

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

zenintrude posted:

It's excellent, but I have a hard time watching it without immediately following it up with Fallen Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEsn9hfbtHQ

You certainly can't be faulted for that, especially since Fallen Angels' story is pretty much the third story Wong Kar Wai wanted to put in Chungking Express but chose to flesh out the first two instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

February Releases:

Foreign Correspondent
Jules and Jim (Blu/Dual Format)
Tess
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Breathless (Blu/Dual Format repackage)
Blue is the Warmest Color
King of the Hill

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

King of the Hill

SO THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT ON NETFLIX ANYMORE!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

February Releases:

King of the Hill

Goodbye old VHS!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That Foreign Correspondent cover is fantastic.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Does anyone have insight into the reason why they're re-releasing Breathless? Is it meant to be a better transfer?

Also, really looking forward to Mr. Fox, Foreign Correspondent, and Blue is the Warmest Color (though I think they dropped the ball by not making its already awesome poster the cover):

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 15, 2013

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Polanski's Tess is really good and a very interesting look at the character that's quite different from the other adaptions I've seen. Watch it when/if it's made available on streaming at the very least, I'd say.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
King of the Hill has the entire The Underneath as a supplement, goddamn. Always wanted to watch that one.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
/\ It's pretty alright, but the original Criss Cross is way better.

Hewlett posted:

Does anyone have insight into the reason why they're re-releasing Breathless? Is it meant to be a better transfer?

I think they said a while ago that they're just going rerelease all of the blu-rays as blu/dvd combos. I imagine they're hitting the more popular stuff first.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Blue Is The Warmest Color page has this weird note:

A full special edition treatment of this film will follow at a later date.

Which makes it sound like they're double-dipping, putting out a barebones disc while they prep the bigger version.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Blue Is The Warmest Color page has this weird note:

A full special edition treatment of this film will follow at a later date.

Which makes it sound like they're double-dipping, putting out a barebones disc while they prep the bigger version.

At least they're open about it, I guess.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
My guess is that they're trying to capitalize on the buzz the film has now rather than later. Whatever. I can wait!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm also surprised they bothered with a new master for Fantastic Mr. Fox; the original 21st Century Fox BD was always one of the best-looking transfers I'd seen.

Most of the extras on that seem to be from the original release anyway- with the exception of the director's commentary.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I'm getting impatient for any news regarding Like Someone In Love, but this is a good month so I can wait a little longer (or forever).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The .orgers have noticed Criterion skipped spine #669, maybe something was delayed.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Most of the extras on that seem to be from the original release anyway- with the exception of the director's commentary.

Really? The only special features on my disc are some featurettes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For some reason I remember that award show thing, the animation tests, and the storyboards from the BD release- Come to think of it, I might be confusing it with stuff I saw online after the film's release.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

February Releases:

Foreign Correspondent
Jules and Jim (Blu/Dual Format)
Tess
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Breathless (Blu/Dual Format repackage)
Blue is the Warmest Color
King of the Hill

How do they announce Anderson's Mr. Fox, which already has a Blu-Ray release, but not Life Aquatic?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kudos to Criterion for being up front about Blue is the Warmest Color. I'm guessing IFC requested it, sort of like Disney with The Life Aquatic (which had simultaneous 1-disc and 2-disc releases).

Breathless is literally the existing Blu and 2-disc DVD repackaged.

For that matter, Fantastic Mr. Fox doesn't seem to repeat any extras, but I suspect the footage used for the Fox edition's "fluffy" making-of will turn up in Criterion's extras in more substantial form.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jules and Jim - obvious upgrade for me

Blue Is the Warmest Color - haven't seen it, rental... especially since they're planning a special edition later. What a weird thing for Criterion to do.

Foreign Correspondent - not one of my fave Hitchcocks by a longshot... might buy it anyway

Fantastic Mr. Fox - another no-brainer upgrade

Breathless - one of the Godards I can actually tolerate, but no interest in owning. pass.

King of the Hill - never seen it, nor have I seen The Underneath. rental.

Tess - never seen it, rental

A lot of high-profile titles and directors, but nothing I was really lusting for. Still, I'm happy for the Jules and Fox upgrades.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Hewlett posted:

My guess is that the current print run sold out and they're simply re-pressing as a combo.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

My guess is that the current print run sold out and they're simply re-pressing as a combo.

Seems that way. I was hoping to get it in the B&N sale but a single copy was running up to $55+ at that point through their marketplace because it was OOP. But now they're re-releasing it sooooooooooo

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Seems that way. I was hoping to get it in the B&N sale but a single copy was running up to $55+ at that point through their marketplace because it was OOP. But now they're re-releasing it sooooooooooo

Yeah I have no idea if I should try and sell my copy soon because the combo would be really useful for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, I really hate how Criterion has started jumping on whatever indie flavor-of-the-month is hot at any given moment. Antichrist, Tiny Furniture, Fantastic Mr. Fox/Moonrise Kingdom, and Blue is the Warmest Color aren't necessarily bad movies (though Tiny Furniture totally is, gently caress that movie) but it seems to defeat what I thought was the purpose of the CC.

It's turning the CC from a "this movie rules" badge to a "hipsters like this movie" badge, and I'm not comfortable with it.