Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

screwtape posted:

When I was about 12 (I am 30), I saw a clip of a movie that still haunts me.
The setting is a war-torn town, in ruin and rubble. There is a group of children, mostly boys. The boys solicite a small girl to look down her pants. She asks for money, the boys pay, and she shows them, each taking a peak. It was likely in color. I have always wondered what this movie is. The imagery has disturbed me quite a bit over the years, from memory. Anyone care to guess?

This reminded me of another one.

Movie takes place during WW2, or has a very bombed out buildings during war time look. The scene I'm remembering is a family gathered around a table and the oldest brother comes in. He has a special jar of Boysenberry jam that he has obtained from somewhere else (might have stolen it). He starts to share it with everyone, when someone pipes up that it may be poisoned. This brings the entire room down, but after considering it for a while the older brother decides "the hell with it" and eats it anyway. Soon everyone else joins in and starts eating as well.

If I had to guess, I'd say the movie was 15-20 years old, color. I don't recall if the movie was foreign or not, but I seem to recall subtitles for part of it. The older brother character reminded me of Ben Stiller, but I seriously doubt he's the actor in question.

Very obscure and I may have any number of things mixed up so no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

CzarChasm posted:

This reminded me of another one.

Movie takes place during WW2, or has a very bombed out buildings during war time look. The scene I'm remembering is a family gathered around a table and the oldest brother comes in. He has a special jar of Boysenberry jam that he has obtained from somewhere else (might have stolen it). He starts to share it with everyone, when someone pipes up that it may be poisoned. This brings the entire room down, but after considering it for a while the older brother decides "the hell with it" and eats it anyway. Soon everyone else joins in and starts eating as well.

If I had to guess, I'd say the movie was 15-20 years old, color. I don't recall if the movie was foreign or not, but I seem to recall subtitles for part of it. The older brother character reminded me of Ben Stiller, but I seriously doubt he's the actor in question.

Very obscure and I may have any number of things mixed up so no big deal.

This sounds like Hope and Glory too. I know there's a scene where they eat jam right out of the jar.

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--
I saw a clip of this movie in a documentary about African Americans in pop culture. The protagonist/villain (and I think title character) was this big guy who I believe was actually from Africa, possibly a king, who was declaring how powerful he was as bullets bounced off of him. Looked like it was late thirties/early forties. It was an example of racism so it might have been swept under the rug as much as possible. Any ideas?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Mr. George Kaplan posted:

I saw a clip of this movie in a documentary about African Americans in pop culture. The protagonist/villain (and I think title character) was this big guy who I believe was actually from Africa, possibly a king, who was declaring how powerful he was as bullets bounced off of him. Looked like it was late thirties/early forties. It was an example of racism so it might have been swept under the rug as much as possible. Any ideas?

Probably The Emperor Jones http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023985/

At one point he says about himself "It takes a silver bullet to kill Brutus Jones."

And maybe this is the documentary you saw: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091018/

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Not quite a movie as such but can anyone name this documentary about Earth's past or something for children? It's framing device is a grandfather on the Moon telling his children (who due to being born and raised on the moon wouldn't be able to cope with the gravity on Earth, on the bright side, longer life span) about his old home.

I think I know what you mean, but I can't remember the name. It looks like a normal home and everything, the grandfather has a picture album that he uses to show things. Then the camera goes through the window and shows Earth in the distance.

For some reason I keep thinking it was a promotional ad for the soccer world cup or something, but that can't be right.

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

Sir Nose posted:

Probably The Emperor Jones http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023985/

At one point he says about himself "It takes a silver bullet to kill Brutus Jones."

And maybe this is the documentary you saw: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091018/

That's the one. Thank you.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know what movie this is from?

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/IirrF.jpg

Filename is predicament.jpg, but couldn't find anything under that name.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know what movie this is from?

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/IirrF.jpg

Filename is predicament.jpg, but couldn't find anything under that name.

I'm just going to assume it's Holy Mountain. Haven't had a chance to see it, but it's clearly from the 70's and has bizarre imagery and naked ladies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Mountain_(1973_film)

Edit: actually I just did a reverse image search. My assumption appears to be correct.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

rodbeard posted:

I'm just going to assume it's Holy Mountain. Haven't had a chance to see it, but it's clearly from the 70's and has bizarre imagery and naked ladies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Mountain_(1973_film)

Edit: actually I just did a reverse image search. My assumption appears to be correct.

Ahh, that one. Thanks. Actually I've already kinda "seen" it, and by that I mean I passed out halfway through because :2bong:
I suggest you do the same.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nobody listen to him. The Holy Mountain owns and the ending is the best part.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I didn't mean to imply it's poo poo (from what I remember it's pretty awesome), but that experiencing it illuminated makes it (probably) better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh, duh, I misread then. I couldn't take that movie On Weed.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Ì'm still thinking about that frog jumping over the tiny city*. And then getting shot with an arrow? Might be mixing things up here. Anyway, awesome movie.

*in slow motion.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
This is a movie I haven't actually seen, but I remember reading a general plot summary about 3-5 years back. It's going to be pretty vague, but I hope the movie itself is distinctive enough to identify.

I believe the movie was from the UK, it involved two ordinary guys whose house is transported into an infinite white void. The poster for the movie was the two of them in the white space with the house in the background and a trail of household objects running between them and the house.

That's really the best I've got, will update if I remember any more details. (and if someone does actually remember what it is, is it any good?)

e: VV Yep, that's it. Thanks Imsalmon!

BHB fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 14, 2012

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Watuhboy posted:

This is a movie I haven't actually seen, but I remember reading a general plot summary about 3-5 years back. It's going to be pretty vague, but I hope the movie itself is distinctive enough to identify.

I believe the movie was from the UK, it involved two ordinary guys whose house is transported into an infinite white void. The poster for the movie was the two of them in the white space with the house in the background and a trail of household objects running between them and the house.

That's really the best I've got, will update if I remember any more details. (and if someone does actually remember what it is, is it any good?)

sounds like Nothing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

midnightclimax posted:

Ì'm still thinking about that frog jumping over the tiny city*. And then getting shot with an arrow? Might be mixing things up here. Anyway, awesome movie.

*in slow motion.

Yeah, the toads acting out the conquest of the Aztecs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Watuhboy posted:

Nothing is a very good movie. It's not UKian, though - it's by Vincenzo Natali, director of Cube and Splice, and to the best of my knowledge it's never been released in the UK. My own copy is an R1 import.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

BioTech posted:

I think I know what you mean, but I can't remember the name. It looks like a normal home and everything, the grandfather has a picture album that he uses to show things. Then the camera goes through the window and shows Earth in the distance.

For some reason I keep thinking it was a promotional ad for the soccer world cup or something, but that can't be right.

I remember them standing on the Moon's surface in space suits.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Me and my family were in a really bad car accident one night in the late 90s, and I saw this THING at a friend of the friend's house late at night while hosed up on pain killers. I think it was HBO or cinemax. The movie was a crappy low budget sci-fi flick so it might've been a scy-fy original.

The movie was some kind of dark futuristic cyberpunk secret agent thing that took place in Russia/Eastern Europe. I remember the plot being hard to follow and I only remember two scenes.

1. Beginning of the movie, night-time, outdoors. I remember a man (main character?) being attacked by an unmanned drone. The drone is a sphere with a bunch of cameras and gadgets on it, that is kept aloft by helicopter blades on top of it. The man shoots the drone and it explodes.

2. Nighttime again. An old, dilapidated Stalinist era apartment building has been converted into a nightclub. There is a large courtyard in the middle of the building, the camera shows the inside of the building with all the patrons dressed in futuristic cyberpunk clothing. The patrons are watching the courtyard, the camera then shows the courtyard, where there is a bare knuckle boxing match between two men wearing the tel'nik horizontal striped shirts. The camera then cuts to the really up close view of the fight.

I do not have a coherent recollection of the rest of the movie.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
This movie came out around late 1990s/early 2000s. It is comparable to 10,000BC, Conan the Barbarian, even John Carter. So this cavemen looking dude is trying to kill a four legged monster. It may not be US made, could possibly be European.

There is one scene that is memorable for me. An evil woman makes out with two barbarians in an attempt to make the hero of the film jealous.

Help me find the name of this film!

Edit: Never mind, I found it!

Brotherhood of the Wolf!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237534/

dzarc fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 25, 2012

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

This is a movie from Asia, I think it was Japanese. Society had collapsed and the world was being lead by this cooperation/cult group that the protagonist was fighting against. I saw this on TV like 3 years ago in a hotel but couldn't finish the movie due to other things I had planned so I turned it off without getting the name.

The biggest thing I remember is that the ceo/cult leader had this outfit where he was wearing a normal suit but had his head covered in this white sheet thing that had the cult's symbol drawn on it.

I think the picture below is some drawing of it I found on the internet or something close. It looks really really familiar though, I'm like 75% sure that's what the character looked like.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zikan posted:

This is a movie from Asia, I think it was Japanese. Society had collapsed and the world was being lead by this cooperation/cult group that the protagonist was fighting against. I saw this on TV like 3 years ago in a hotel but couldn't finish the movie due to other things I had planned so I turned it off without getting the name.

The biggest thing I remember is that the ceo/cult leader had this outfit where he was wearing a normal suit but had his head covered in this white sheet thing that had the cult's symbol drawn on it.

I think the picture below is some drawing of it I found on the internet or something close. It looks really really familiar though, I'm like 75% sure that's what the character looked like.

20th Century Boys. It's a trilogy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its based on a manga, which you should probably read instead. Its very good, and even non-manga/anime fans like it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

20th Century Boys. It's a trilogy.

Thanks a lot, it's been bothering me for years that I didn't know what it was called.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This one is driving me crazy.

It's a short from the early 1900s. Single take. What seems like multiple sets. I think less than a minute long, maybe less than 30 seconds. And I want to say there's a murder plot and/or a water tank.

A goon posted it (from YouTube) a couple years ago but I can't remember the name.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYB2FykZgkg :nws:

though it's from 1995 by David Lynch

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Schweinhund posted:

sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYB2FykZgkg :nws:

though it's from 1995 by David Lynch

Ha, that makes sense. Lynch's name was bouncing around in my head but I thought the original poster said that the short inspired him.

Thanks!

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Okay this is a long shot, and I don't have much to give you guys unfortunately.

It's a found-footage horror movie, pretty low budget. From what I can recall it involves a group of kids who go around in a van, sort-of daring each other to do things, and for the most part it revolves around this one small town. The gist is that they stumble upon some sort of cult within the town and get in over their heads.

Scenes I can remember involve filming some sort of bus (maybe a school bus?) and getting freaked when they realize people are in it and looking back at them, and another where they're trying to shoot footage of people in a house through the windows who may or may not be performing some sort of ritual.

I remember that at or towards the end the "cult" members wind up picking up the camera and using it to shoot some footage of them feeding livestock bloody meat which it's implied to be the original group of kids.

Any help would be appreciated because this is bugging the poo poo out of me. I saw it randomly on the internet at a friend's house, and I seriously doubt it ever got a theatrical release.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Starscream posted:

This sounds like Hope and Glory too. I know there's a scene where they eat jam right out of the jar.

Googled "Hope and Glory Jam" and it took me to a scene where it plays out close to what I remembered. The scene in my head is a bit bleaker and darker, more grey, but that seems to be about the gist of it. Thanks.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

I only remember a few details of this movie I'm trying to track down:

- It has a college professor, somewhat 'down with the kids', who smokes a lot of weed and is a bit of a loser (in a 'kidult' kind of way)
- He gets involves in some of his students lives, possibly falling in love with one girl (or at least having some kind of emotional attachment)
- At the end of the movie, his students kind of outgrow him and move on, and he looks like a pathetic figure.

I had a vague idea that the professor was played by Robin Williams, but searching around this turns up nothing so I was probably wrong.

x0nix fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 29, 2012

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

x0nix posted:

I only remember a few details of this movie I'm trying to track down:

- It has a college professor, somewhat 'down with the kids', who smokes a lot of weed and is a bit of a loser (in a 'kidult' kind of way)
- He gets involves in some of his students lives, possibly falling in love with one girl (or at least having some kind of emotional attachment)
- At the end of the movie, his students kind of outgrow him and move on, and he looks like a pathetic figure.

I had a vague idea that the professor was played by Robin Williams, but searching around this turns up nothing so I was probably wrong.

That immediately made me think of Eric Stoltz in Rules of Attraction, not 100% sure on the way he seems in the end but I know some of it lines up anyway.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Chewy Bitems posted:

That immediately made me think of Eric Stoltz in Rules of Attraction, not 100% sure on the way he seems in the end but I know some of it lines up anyway.

I don't think that's it - as far as I remember there was a lot less sex and drinking, and the professor was a major character.

Another detail I can remember was that near the end someone made a speech about how the professor never made any decisions or choices in life, he just used his marijuana smoking to put off all commitments.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

x0nix posted:

I don't think that's it - as far as I remember there was a lot less sex and drinking, and the professor was a major character.

Another detail I can remember was that near the end someone made a speech about how the professor never made any decisions or choices in life, he just used his marijuana smoking to put off all commitments.

Got it! It was The Wonder Boys.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
I saw this as an in-flight movie in 1998 or early 1999. It's about a kid (10-12 years old) who is a bit of a nerd, but has a congenital disorder where his skeleton doesn't grow up with him - meaning that he will die young, he uses crutches to get around; nonetheless, he is required to go to school. At school he becomes a personal tutor for a stocky "kind but dumb"-type kid. The two become best friends and the bigger kid starts to carry the nerd around on his shoulders. There's a scene in a diner where the two of them break-up a domestic violence attack, and this, combined with them realising he doesn't have much time left alive, cause the two of them to commit to helping other people out. There's another scene where the sick kid takes the big one to a (top-secret?) medical facility and shows the people in lab coats and face masks trying to make him better with science, but in the end he dies :smith: which causes the big kid to enter an hysterical rage and he storms the medical facility demanding to know what happened to his friend. The end.

I remember the poster-frame from the movie in the in-flight leaflet showed the big kid carrying the little one on his shoulders as they crossed a bridge (was it New York?), other than what I've just written I don't remember any other details. Any ideas? :)

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 31, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm going to hell but I typed in "crippled kid movie" into Google and it says The Mighty.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm going to hell but I typed in "crippled kid movie" into Google and it says The Mighty.

Dang. I thought of the movie because I stumbled across Thanatophoric dysplasia, which sounded like the condition that Kevin had. I did some searches for it but nothing came up, apparently it was Mucopolysaccharidosis IV instead, which explains why I couldn't find anything.

I wouldn't have thought of saying the kid was "crippled" (as that's a word I'd use to describe someone wheelchair-bound, as opposed to someone using crutches). I'm looking at the google results and wow... some people are completely devoid of tact.

but thanks :)

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
This should be an easy one, as I think it was a fairly common movie, probably circa 80s or early 90s. It's some kind of buddy cop comedy or similar where the main characters go to one of their apartments and it's painted completely white (white pictures in white frames, white furniture, etc). I think the explanation is that the character found colours overstimulating.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Starblind posted:

This should be an easy one, as I think it was a fairly common movie, probably circa 80s or early 90s. It's some kind of buddy cop comedy or similar where the main characters go to one of their apartments and it's painted completely white (white pictures in white frames, white furniture, etc). I think the explanation is that the character found colours overstimulating.
Isn't that the one where Dan Aykroyd has multiple personalities and the bad guys are trying to get hold of Hitler's sex tape?

eta: Loose Cannons?

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Runcible Cat posted:

Isn't that the one where Dan Aykroyd has multiple personalities and the bad guys are trying to get hold of Hitler's sex tape?

eta: Loose Cannons?

Sure looks like it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
I saw this movie a few months ago on SBS in Australia. It looked like it was made in the 2000s.

It was Scandinavian, about a sheltered teenage girl who grew up as part of a fundamentalist catholic community. They were very conservative and insular (no music, no makeup, no technology).
When her friend runs away, the elders in the community decide to send her into the real world to bring the lost sheep back to the flock. Although she is reunited with her friend pretty early, her friend doesn't want to return, so she ends up exposed to sex, alcohol, and other "real world" stuff.
Eventually her friend decides that the real world is nasty, and they both return to the cult, but the girl finds it difficult to re-adjust, and dances in the kitchen and sings and turns the radio to Rock and Roll and her parents get really mad.

So decides to leave again, knowing full well that she'll be outcast from her friends and her little sisters for good.

There's a scene where she goes on a bike ride with a guy and she's got the horn in the pants so she's like "let's do it" and they go into a barn to "do it" (sex) but he freaks out because he's scared of girls or something? Anyway I don't think they did it. He told the elders and they were disapproving.

Edit: I think it had the word "Flower" in the title, too. Google isn't helping me though.