Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

The discussion has moved on already, but someone was talking earlier about using Picassa for an online gallery and up until a few weeks ago that's what I was using, but I noticed all the pictures I posted were softer than the original and slightly off in colour. I switched to Smugmug and couldn't believe the difference.

Here's a comparison of the same photo viewed from both galleries.

[pics]

I'm not sure why the difference exists but I think I'll stick to Smugmug.

Smugmug sharpens and processes the photos a bit once they're up. You can actually adjust the amount in the settings. I like the interface, I like the service, would definitely recommend it.

Smugmug++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I joined a bunch of meetup.com photography groups awhile back. Though I never go to any meetings, I get emails from them all the time. Some of them are really loving stupid.

quote:

A friend of mine is having a launch party this Thursday evening for a new Orlando law firm and is in need of a photographer for the event. This would be a non-paying gig (plus tip), and would be an excellent opportunity to build your corporate event portfolio, gain exposure to 200+ professionals in attendance, and receive a glowing review on your corporate event photography. Photo prints will be mailed out after the event to all attendees, so your final product will be seen by many (photographer will not be responsible for prints, just emailed or CD pics to hostess). Location is right by Crealde on Aloma. If you are interested, please email me at jjordan565@yahoo.com.

Thank you!
Jacquelynne

This is like the second time I've seen a big law firm in town trying to get free photography. poo poo like this makes me glad I'm going back to work in a non-photography job.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Non-paying plus tip?

"Okay, so 15% of zero comes out to... zero!"

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

eugh, I hate getting "offers" from "friends" - oh it's totally cool if you come to this halloween party to take pictures, you'll get free entrance in return!

I got asked by a photographer I assisted to shoot during their wedding along with another assistant - and the first thing they said was "yeah we'll pay you 200 quid for your trouble" which is pretty fair to me

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You'd think lawyers, who probably get asked for free work more than photographers, would be more respectful. If they really wanted to cheap out, I'm sure they could do some bartering.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm always amazed at how people seem to think photography shouldn't be worth anything, but paying thousands of dollars for flower arrangements is totally worth it.

Edit: When I'm explaining it to people, I also like to do the whole "look around at all the advertisements right now, do you see any without some kind of photography/imagery?"

nonanone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 10, 2011

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

The stuff of legends, as you can see.

You nubs and your rule of thirds. If only you'd put the horizon in the middle your images could be worth $4 millions too!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a thread for really, really old cameras? If not, could someone make one?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

the posted:

Is there a thread for really, really old cameras? If not, could someone make one?

If you look on the main page for this sub-forum and scroll right down to the bottom, on the right there's a button that says "Post". That's the one you're looking for.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The film thread and the Medium and Large Format thread both include "old" cameras, though I'm not sure how old your "really, really old cameras" might be.

If you've got something 100+ years old, I wanna see pictures (both of it and through it).

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I just got a 35/2. It's TINY.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 11, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
:rolleyes: You could fit 2 rangefinder lenses inside that behemoth.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

David Pratt posted:

If you look on the main page for this sub-forum and scroll right down to the bottom, on the right there's a button that says "Post". That's the one you're looking for.

I was planning on it, but I'm not Dorkroom enough to make a proper OP.

ExecuDork posted:

The film thread and the Medium and Large Format thread both include "old" cameras, though I'm not sure how old your "really, really old cameras" might be.

If you've got something 100+ years old, I wanna see pictures (both of it and through it).

Sorry, only 86 years old. I'm going to shoot this weekend and get it developed.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

McMadCow posted:

:rolleyes: You could fit 2 rangefinder lenses inside that behemoth.

Heh. The 35/2 is about the same size as the 45/1.7 on my old yashica v0v

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Elite Taco posted:

I just got a 35/2. It's TINY.

I'd post my OM 50mm 1.8 but I am lazy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the posted:

You want a camera assorted to your bike?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

I have no idea if the magazine Rangefinder is any good but you can sign up for a free subscription (print or digital or both) here if you'd like: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415037&pagenumber=17#post397417466

It's not great but it's not quite as bad as Popular Photography.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Haggins posted:

I joined a bunch of meetup.com photography groups awhile back. Though I never go to any meetings, I get emails from them all the time. Some of them are really loving stupid.

This is like the second time I've seen a big law firm in town trying to get free photography. poo poo like this makes me glad I'm going back to work in a non-photography job.

I got this form letter in my flickr account the other day:

quote:

Hi William:

My name is Phil Abramson and I am the Town Planner for Morristown, NJ. We are putting together a public document that will be used to identify a redeveloper for the property behind the train station. We are really excited about this project and are putting together a very attractive and innovative document to procure a redeveloper for the site.

What does this have to do with you? Well, I was searching Flickr for photographs of the site and my jaw dropped when I saw yours. It is beautiful and perfect for our use.

I was wondering if you would grant us permission to include this on the cover of our document. We will credit you with a copyright and it will be post on the Town's website and circulated amongst the Northern NJ real estate development community.

I really hope you agree. If it wasn't for our shoestring budget, I would buy the image through Getty in a heartbeat. You should feel free to call me if you would like to discuss - 973.896.5663 or email me, phil@rosecompanies.com

Best,
Phil

My response:

quote:

Unfortunately, crediting me for the photo doesn't pay the bills and I don't work for for free. I would ask $125 for the image and give you full rights. If you can't make that commitment then I would have to ask that you please not use the image.

Thank you,
William

:argh:

I never got a response back. I'm sure he found somebody who was like "Sure!!! You can use my image!" Also, I was being pretty generous too. $125 for full rights is not bad at all. But whatever.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xzzy posted:

Not just creative.. it's become extremely common in all industries. You make something profitable, your employer is gonna want to be able to claim it if they can. They bank on the employee not having the resources to fight it in court.
When I worked at Radio Shack, the hiring contract had a clause giving the rights to anything I invented while working there and for three years after leaving. Being the rebellious teenager I was, I crossed it out and initialed it.

I ended up not inventing anything anyway.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I work as a mechanical designer for Cisco and you can be drat sure that they have my "creations", wether it be patents or art, contractually nailed to a post. If I want to be protective at all I have to make 100% sure that I'm not using a single Cisco resource or any work time and to be extra secure don't even discuss it with colleagues.

Thankfully I don't work for arseholes and nobody cares about that sort of thing so I tend not to worry (though I suspect they suddenly might if it was a patent).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Laser Cow posted:

Thankfully I don't work for arseholes and nobody cares about that sort of thing so I tend not to worry (though I suspect they suddenly might if it was a patent).

You bet your rear end they would, hah.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mannequin posted:

My response:

I never got a response back. I'm sure he found somebody who was like "Sure!!! You can use my image!" Also, I was being pretty generous too. $125 for full rights is not bad at all. But whatever.

Can you give us a link to this photo? I grew up near Morristown, and I'm trying to figure out if they're referring to the area by Hennessy's, or the current condo/eyesore thing next to Cluck U.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

the posted:

I could probably toss one together sometime soon. It's not like I have a shameful addiction to old cameras or anything...

:colbert:

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I could probably toss one together sometime soon. It's not like I have a shameful addiction to old cameras or anything...

Who needs money when you can have cameras instead, right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

"Shameful"?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

red19fire posted:

Can you give us a link to this photo? I grew up near Morristown, and I'm trying to figure out if they're referring to the area by Hennessy's, or the current condo/eyesore thing next to Cluck U.

They didn't link specifically to the photo but I'm guessing it's this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mannequin-/2896583505/

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Ask for revenue sharing. When a real estate developer buys the property from that town you get 1% :)

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Prathm posted:

Who needs money when you can have cameras instead, right?

Most of those cameras were less than twenty bucks, a bunch were free or were earned by volunteering at a photo store that was going out of business. Kinda funny to look up the original prices and adjust for inflation though, that pile would have run around $10,000-15,000 if they were all purchased new.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

You're living the dream, man. Or, at least you're living my dream - shoot a K10D, collect old cameras and occassionally run film through them... Every time I see a post like this from Dr. Cogwerks, I go and stare at the ebay buy-it-now ad for an M42 lens that keeps getting re-listed, for a little bit less every time. :allears:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mannequin posted:

My response:

Next time reply with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5P2SfIbFG4

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bought some Eneloop batteries for my flash. Huge difference compared to the batteries I was using. Can't wait to give them a proper usage now.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

pwn posted:

Next time reply with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5P2SfIbFG4

Ha! That would have been pretty good. I think I was drawing from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
^^ this is the reply you're looking for:

http://www.dvafoto.com/2011/04/gently caress-you-pay-me-a-discussion-of-adventures-in-contracts-negotiation-and-payment/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mannequin - if you can try to get a copy of his report or document when it's actually printed to make sure they didn't just go the "easier to ask forgiveness" route and use your photo anyways.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Sevn posted:

I bought some Eneloop batteries for my flash. Huge difference compared to the batteries I was using. Can't wait to give them a proper usage now.

I swear Eneloops are ridiculously good at keeping a charge; I bought a pair in 2008 while I was in Japan and they're still decent to this day.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Eneloops are fusion power. They can't be stopped

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

In regards to Mannequin's recent brush with a cheapskate company, I have something relevant that you guys might like to use/read.

I'm not sure where it came from, it may have been somewhere here in the Dorkroom, but it's worth sharing for those who may not have seen it. An excellent write up on why Photographers can't work for free (even though it's pretty obvious to us). I believe it's intended to link to or post up on ones website to show cheapo businesses instead of wasting times replying to emails asking for freebies.

http://photoprofessionals.wordpress.com/

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Just a heads up to anyone looking for an easy Christmas gift for all your family members, Shutterfly has their 'buy one calendar get the rest half off' sale going right now. Last year it lasted through Black Friday so you have time to get a calendar together if you're interested.

The quality was surprisingly good and they offer a 'template' that is just a full bleed photo, so you can basically do any design you want in Photoshop, or just leave it as a full bleed photo. (You would be surprised how many stupid photo printing services do NOT have an option for just a single full bleed image!) You can add images and events to the calendar part of the page too, but they won't let you change fonts. drat them.

Anyway, with 'SHIP30' for free shipping, and the current sale, you can get 8 twelve-month calendars for 100 bucks. Not too bad.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Mannequin posted:

To be honest, you could have been a bit less smarmy in your response. I know that a photo credit isn't worth signing over rights, but half the time people don't even know that.

I don't know, I'm usually pretty cordial when it comes to stuff like this because you never know who's going to be a future client. (for example, I turned down a job that was going to pay in gift cards but I was nice about it and they ended up booking me for 2 paid jobs after)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Harlan Ellison is right. Do you think the guy setting up the project is getting paid? What about the contractor? What about the real estate developer? What about the printing company who has to print the fliers and the web developer working on the town website? Everyone is getting paid but there's no budget for a tiny little photo? I think you have to be tough with these people. And if this person or company doesn't buy an image from me in the future because of my candid response on flickr there's a part of me that doesn't particularly care. They're assholes. But I also have faith that I can sell other images or get other jobs, and I don't need them anyway.