Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

izationalizer posted:

I got a reish of this not too long ago),

I looked into Index after reading your post and recently found one of the reissues from 2004, it's fantastic. Can you recommend some similar stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
My Kveikur just came in today at work....forgot I even ordered it.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Has anyone found a preorder link for Yeezus yet? I am NOT going to be missing out on adding that one to my collection.

Also on the subject of Kanye's vinyl output, was Graduation ever pressed on vinyl? Discogs only lists CDs and I can't find anything on eBay, so I figure not :( Sucks, since it's the only full-length of his that I don't own.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

1) There has been no sign of Yeezus on vinyl. At this point I doubt it's happening.

2) Nope, no Graduation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

trdn89 posted:

...Yeezy vinyl...

Haven't heard anything about Yeezus on vinyl yet- It was up on Spotify this morning so I cued it up on my run and HOLYBALLSISITGOOD- but given the whole "we banged this out over a couple weeks in my loft, I didn't even make album art, take it" story, I doubt we'll see one for a while.

And I get the *collector* aspect of it, but any other reason why you'd want Kanye vinyl? From what I understand, it has a history of being kind of half-baked and rushed. I remember people being furious about how badly the vinyl cut of Fantasy was mastered, or something like that.

Are there any Yeezy releases really worth getting on vinyl?

Edit: Hell (I know this is only very tangentially related to Kanye West) I'm still holding out for Channel Orange to come out on vinyl. :sigh:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 18, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And I get the *collector* aspect of it, but any other reason why you'd want Kanye vinyl? From what I understand, it has a history of being kind of half-baked and rushed. I remember people being furious about how badly the vinyl cut of Fantasy was mastered, or something like that.

I could be wrong, but I remember the opposite: people were really disappointed with the brick-walling on the CD and so a lot of people ended up waiting to rip the vinyl.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

the vinyl mastering was apparently terrible. very thin and flimsy, if I recall. People would laugh at people who spent like, $24 on it.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The posters and other art was worth it to me to buy the MBDTF vinyl.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Bigdee4933 posted:

The posters and other art was worth it to me to buy the MBDTF vinyl.

This was worth it to me, too. It's amazing packaging. And it's been a couple of years since I've listened to the vinyl, but it sounded fine to me at the time.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Oh man.
It sounds wonderful.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The pre-order for the Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses reissue has gone up. Limited to 1500 copies.

http://www.monamierecords.com/store/

Not a huge fan of the cover, but whatever.

I bought two, so I can play one down to a fine powder.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wicked, thanks!

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The pre-order for the Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses reissue has gone up. Limited to 1500 copies.

good looking out man

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So, ehm, apparently InSound has just found some copies of the out-of-print and often selling-for-over-a-hundred-dollars Sun Kil Moon album, Admiral Fell Promises? And they're dumping them for 16 bucks a pop?

http://www.insound.com/Admiral-Fell-Promises-Black-Vinyl-Vinyl-2xLP-Sun-Kil-Moon/P/INS77834/
http://www.insound.com/Admiral-Fell-Promises-White-Vinyl-Vinyl-2xLP-Sun-Kil-Moon/P/INS77835/

On both black and white vinyl.

Huh.

e: Welp, they're both sold out now.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 19, 2013

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

eggsovereasy posted:

I looked into Index after reading your post and recently found one of the reissues from 2004, it's fantastic. Can you recommend some similar stuff?

I'm racking my brain, but it's sorta tough, because a.) I'm not really a 60s garage expert, and b.) they really do have a unique sound. It's almost like 60s garage emo, what with the mournful, melancholic vibes they have going. And yeah, I love Index!

The first thing that pops into my head is the Bachs' "Out of the Bachs," if only because I have it filed right next to Index; it's another one of those garage records that sells for thousands of dollars (mine's a reissue, obviously). It's kind of more upbeat overall and more like traditional 60s garage psych, though, so I'm not sure how similar I'd call it, other than *maybe* this song, (but even it doesn't have that dark, Index-y atmospherics; it's just kinda melancholy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYSVh3sCIU

Come to think that, the above YouTube channel might be worth exploring. That guy's garage collection is in-loving-sane; he apparently owns originals of the Bachs, Index, and a ton of other stuff.

For 60s garage in general, I'd generally recommend the "Back from the Grave" compilation series, but they focus more on proto-punk-type stuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've posted this here before, but one thing to do is go to Popsike or Collectorsfrenzy, search for a genre (e.g., garage), arrange by price, high-->low, and see what it all sounds like on YouTube. Some of it is more just rare than actually good, but a lot of it is awesome.

I feel like I'm not helping at all, but alas, I'm just not a hardcore garage aficionado.

And oh yeah, Index does have a second album ("the red album"). I've never heard it, though, and it's supposedly not quite as good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

http://www.monamierecords.com/store/

Not a huge fan of the cover, but whatever.

I bought two, so I can play one down to a fine powder.

Finally! Now I have something to drown out all the screaming. "Boo hoo hoo! Please mister, my family has lots of money! Blah, blah, blah." Some people think that that's all that matters.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Haven't heard anything about Yeezus on vinyl yet- It was up on Spotify this morning so I cued it up on my run and HOLYBALLSISITGOOD- but given the whole "we banged this out over a couple weeks in my loft, I didn't even make album art, take it" story, I doubt we'll see one for a while.

Are there any Yeezy releases really worth getting on vinyl?

Edit: Hell (I know this is only very tangentially related to Kanye West) I'm still holding out for Channel Orange to come out on vinyl. :sigh:

I thought MBDTF sounded great, personally. The first two albums don't sound good, but 808s actually sounds AWESOME - super bleak, really deep. (Finding a copy is an immense pain in the dick, though. But don't worry; I paid extortionist eBay fees for a copy a couple months ago so I'm sure we'll see a reissue any day now.)

And +1 on Channel Orange; I can't believe it's not out yet. My worst nightmare is that they end up deciding to release it as a RSD special (along with the LE red-vinyl version of Taylor Swift's Red that they should have put out in the first place [yes I will buy it again anyway because I love that album unironically]).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

trdn89 posted:

And +1 on Channel Orange; I can't believe it's not out yet. My worst nightmare is that they end up deciding to release it as a RSD special (along with the LE red-vinyl version of Taylor Swift's Red that they should have put out in the first place [yes I will buy it again anyway because I love that album unironically]).

I read that as "LED red-vinyl" and wondered if anything like that had been done. Wasn't there a turntable or mat that lit up?

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

trdn89 posted:

And +1 on Channel Orange; I can't believe it's not out yet.
You could always just get the bootleg :P I got nostalgia/ultra and it came on clear vinyl and sounded pretty good, although there are some weird surface noise/scratches on the mixtape that is kind of a mindfuck on the pressing.

I just got back from traveling and I mailed myself some poo poo from Montreal and Toronto so I wouldn't have to carry it around with me the whole trip.

Hit up Rotate This in Toronto

Some fun singles from Kopps(toronto)

Saw these artists at Mutek(montreal)

Atom Heart records in Montreal had a little Mutek booth, the guy was really sweet and I ended up checking it out before leaving town. Super rad place, ended up leaving pretty happy with everything I got.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Finally! Now I have something to drown out all the screaming. "Boo hoo hoo! Please mister, my family has lots of money! Blah, blah, blah." Some people think that that's all that matters.

It's like they don't realize that good stitch work is really loving difficult to get right and requires your full concentration. It's just selfishness and privilege, plain and simple.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Elrobot posted:

You could always just get the bootleg :P I got nostalgia/ultra and it came on clear vinyl and sounded pretty good, although there are some weird surface noise/scratches on the mixtape that is kind of a mindfuck on the pressing.

Yeah, I ended up going this route (picked up Nostalgia/Ultra too - glad to hear it sounds OK). I'll still buy the official release when/if it ever comes out, of course.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

3dou posted:

Oh man.
It sounds wonderful.

It really does.

Hope you didn't pay too much.. The value of that seems to have gone way way up in the past few months.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

luncheon meat posted:

It really does.

Hope you didn't pay too much.. The value of that seems to have gone way way up in the past few months.

The cheapest I could find one was $110.
I bought the $130 because it was sealed (and the seller had an actual rating).

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Doctor Cave posted:

Did someone say Sunbather?

It's so beautiful. And I had no problems ordering it from Deathwish.

I can't believe how good this album is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Have any of you ever ordered a record from this kind of thing?

http://themonolithsound.blogspot.com/

I bought the record, but now it seems kind of shifty. Especially because I can't find anything else about it anywhere. Although the band actually linked to this so I guess it's legit.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I bought the record, but now it seems kind of shifty. Especially because I can't find anything else about it anywhere. Although the band actually linked to this so I guess it's legit.

Just out of curiosity, how come you didn't just buy it on discogs? I found plenty of original pressings for under $30.
Back to your question, no I haven't, and yes it looks very shady. Mostly because it's on blogspot and not an actual website. Still, if the band posted it...

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

3dou posted:

Just out of curiosity, how come you didn't just buy it on discogs? I found plenty of original pressings for under $30.
Back to your question, no I haven't, and yes it looks very shady. Mostly because it's on blogspot and not an actual website. Still, if the band posted it...

It's probably legit. Blogspot is free and easy while a real website takes time and money to make.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'll just wait and see what happens. The reason I didn't get it from discogs is because all the sellers there are overseas and I try to avoid buying internationally if I can. Paypal has pretty decent buyer protection, so I'm not too worried.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I ordered a 12 inch from a site like that a few weeks ago from this band I liked called Cower. It took a couple weeks, but I didn't have any problems receiving my record if that puts your worries at ease.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
New Arctic Monkeys album is up for preorder on their site. Wrestling with the option to buy the deluxe or the standard LP.

RareFaction
Nov 16, 2012
Does anyone else own a 45 that plays without the need for an adapter?

I got this from a friend and so far has been the only one I have seen.

RareFaction fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 24, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

RareFaction posted:

I got this from a friend and so far has been the only one I have seen.

I have about ten 45's, and only one of them needs an adapter. If you get one that is new or at least not used in a jukebox, they won't need an adapter.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Same here. Only one of mine needs an adapter. I actually wish I had more than required it, because I think 45s look way cooler with a huge hole in the middle.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
It's mostly a U.S/U.K thing. In Australia small holes are the norm, only imports had big holes.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have some 7" records with small holes, but they all play at 33 1/3, if they have a big hole they play at 45.

I have 10" and 12" 45s with small holes though.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The weirdest one's I have are the Seeburg 1000 records, 9" with a 2" centre hole. 16 2/3 RPM

That and 16" transcriptions, they are pretty impressive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RareFaction posted:

I've got a whole bunch. It's more common than you'd think these days. I think the big holes were an old jukebox thing, so it's not really necessary anymore.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yeah, none of my 45's need the adapter. Kinda wish they did too, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some releases still do the big hole as a style thing (the Self Defense Family Island Series all need adapters, and one of 'em's 33rpm so it's not strictly a 45 thing) but out of my 35ish 7" records, only about 5 of 'em use adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Huh, I had no idea that new 45s didn't have the big holes in them. I guess it makes sense though. Can you still queue up a bunch of 45s on a turntable without using an adapter then?