Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
/GU Combined:Plane of Shadows in 2353s, 702898k @298724dps

40minutes

also:

pheerie posted:

SOE's new server

darkhand fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

darkhand posted:

/GU Combined:Plane of Shadows in 2353s, 702898k @298724dps

40minutes

Grats on your first kill!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Eh we have that particular raid solidly on farm, he was just posting to show off our sickass raid deeps :byodood:

Gonna destoryerate HoF3 as soon as people can actually log in again, then Test server is CURRENT EXPANSION RAID GUILD(technically) :what:

Also Pheerie rules and seeing that pic this morning made my day less lovely

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Does anyone have a decent chunk of dream motes on test that they'd be willing to pass along? I hit 80 on my chars and have been doing the Hero's Journey achievments for SoD to get gear that is pretty close to abstruse, but some of the non-vis slots seem like more trouble than they're worth to get. I've got 6 slots to fill on 3 chars, which I think is 540 motes total.

If someone could hook me up, I'd be grateful. In-game name is Gnomae.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Doing some Argin Hiz progression.
It's like the old days!

2 raids trying to get kill credit on the rare spawns needed for the first progression quest.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

That is simply amazing

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I don't know why but I got a really weird Kurn's Tower vibe from those screenshots.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

It's like the old days!

2 raids trying to get kill credit on the rare spawns needed for the first progression quest.

Our guild's web site is getting DDOSed right now. It may or may not have to do with this.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
At 85, what are the best options for weapons on test? Find some poo poo out of bazaar? I really want to level Zapzan and my Paladin or Ranger (probably Ranger), and wondering what to expect until 90 or so.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There's some 85/90 weapons but they were always a pain to find, those drop from Alaris T1 stuff. T2 HoT stuff is...82/87? and T4 hot is 90 req but not exactly worth camping unless you're gearing a shitbox or after augs anyway as they'll get thrown in the trash at 92.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

All of tier1 for HoT is attunable I think so you can try to buy them. You can also run HAs and buy stuff from the level85 vendor.

I recommend being pretty frugal with your HA currency, because at 92 you can buy Fear-touched (ROF tier1), and save currency for latent and cotf non vis.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 17, 2014

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
With merc gear and merc AA's are tank mercs better these days? Are they a viable option post 80? When I played last they were great up until about 70-80 and then just got exponentially worse after that.

I'm thinking of soloing druid/tank merc. Is this a terrible plan? I'm not worries about shaman being a better pick, but don't want to set myself up to be miserable when I hit 80.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Illa will probably correct this but as far as I know you pretty much don't need to use Merc for solo druid antics. Quad kite, root rot, charms, and if it comes down to a named kill, player heals are ridiculously strong so long as your tank doesn't get one shot.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Bugamol posted:

With merc gear and merc AA's are tank mercs better these days? Are they a viable option post 80? When I played last they were great up until about 70-80 and then just got exponentially worse after that.

I'm thinking of soloing druid/tank merc. Is this a terrible plan? I'm not worries about shaman being a better pick, but don't want to set myself up to be miserable when I hit 80.

It's not so much that tank mercs become poo poo at those levels. It's more that they're insanely OP till around 65. And if you're using the lower tier mercs, their awfulness will shine through harder as you get higher level.

The major problem with using a tank merc + priest is that tank mercs do very little damage. Combined with them requiring more attention than a player tank, you won't have much free time to add in your own dps, so everything will die really slowly. I'm very well geared, but when I need to solo summoning mobs or things in tight quarters, I use a cleric merc to heal me while I tank and DPS. A lot of clerics reverse the roles and use a Wiz merc as a tank so the mobs die quicker.

The best ways to solo with a druid vary over the levels, but using a merc is almost never going to be the correct choice. Kiting mobs from the oldest expansion that still gives good exp is the safest bet. Older expansion = lower hps = faster kills. Most of the hot zones suck for soloing, they're meant to push players together for grouping.

Druid quad kiting spells weren't upgraded for a very long time, but they come back in 5 target variants in the 90s. And then they're really good for exp.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 18, 2014

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
As an 71 enc who doesn't want to box, would it be better to charm with a wiz merc or no merc at all?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Charm soloing is mostly about preference and finding your own rhythm.

Past Gates of Discord charmed mobs are really wimpy and in my experience it's better to reverse solo stuff by sending in charmed mobs to get chewed up by an unslowed enemy, invising at <5% hp, and nuking for full exp. I don't see the wizard merc adding enough damage on top of the already high mob dps to be worth the split exp. There's not really anything to lose by taking a merc along and seeing how it does, though.

Also, I use root a lot when charming and I imagine the wiz nukes would cause constant breaks, but I've never tried it out to see how big of a problem it is.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

jetz0r posted:

It's like the old days!

Do you have any screenshots from Shopkeeper Extravaganza that show MS member Arakase?

I'm about to eat that kid's pudding right off his lunch tray and a screenshot with him in the pig pile will be muy bueno.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

qxx posted:

Do you have any screenshots from Shopkeeper Extravaganza that show MS member Arakase?

I'm about to eat that kid's pudding right off his lunch tray and a screenshot with him in the pig pile will be muy bueno.

He's in the only other SS I took, with my UI visible. His name is in the jello cube mess, near the top of the screen.
[Wed Jul 16 10:32:39 2014] [100 Spiritwatcher (Shaman)] Arakasee (Barbarian) <Machin Shin> ZONE: arginhiz
[Wed Jul 16 11:33:08 2014] AFK [100 Spiritwatcher (Shaman)] Arakasee (Barbarian) <Machin Shin> ZONE: arginhiz
[Wed Jul 16 11:52:03 2014] AFK [100 Spiritwatcher (Shaman)] Arakasee (Barbarian) <Machin Shin> ZONE: arginhiz

SS was taken at 12:36, so he had the AFK flag up for a while.

http://i3.minus.com/iduQZodDRuLr5.bmp

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Thanks for the info. I'll probably screw around on a druid and if/when I get frustrated roll a mage. Or maybe play a Monk with a healer merc.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

jetz0r posted:

He's in the only other SS I took, with my UI visible. His name is in the jello cube mess, near the top of the screen.
[Wed Jul 16 10:32:39 2014] [100 Spiritwatcher (Shaman)] Arakasee (Barbarian) <Machin Shin> ZONE: arginhiz
[Wed Jul 16 11:33:08 2014] AFK [100 Spiritwatcher (Shaman)] Arakasee (Barbarian) <Machin Shin> ZONE: arginhiz
[Wed Jul 16 11:52:03 2014] AFK [100 Spiritwatcher (Shaman)] Arakasee (Barbarian) <Machin Shin> ZONE: arginhiz

SS was taken at 12:36, so he had the AFK flag up for a while.

http://i3.minus.com/iduQZodDRuLr5.bmp

Illa coming through! I'm going to dunk this kid's donut on EQLive.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

qxx posted:

Illa coming through! I'm going to dunk this kid's donut on EQLive.

Hot drat. Good call, I knew it was someone in MS but missed that they had the same posting style.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Hahaha, I really appreciate the extra effort you put in with the Party Popper Nimbus, Illa.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know what I was thinking, but I joined the Luclin - Stromm server as the Erudite wizard named Quaasia. Would like an invite to the GOON GUILD!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There isn't one anymore. We just use the serverwide chat now pretty much. The only places I know of more than one goon are Test and Xegony, but even on those 2 servers there's no real active goons at the moment who aren't in raid guilds.

/join serverwide.gchat:fygm

To set the game to automatically join the channel upon login, type:

/autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm (to autojoin multiple chat channels, type several channel names, comma-separated)

Edit - fair warning most of serverwide gchat is raid-centric these days too (generally us on Test bitching and the Xeg people laughing) but we're still happy to answer questions or chat about other stuff if someone wants to

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 19, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Well that's kinda sad :(

Uninstalled.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MrTheDevious posted:

There isn't one anymore. We just use the serverwide chat now pretty much. The only places I know of more than one goon are Test and Xegony, but even on those 2 servers there's no real active goons at the moment who aren't in raid guilds.

/join serverwide.gchat:fygm

To set the game to automatically join the channel upon login, type:

/autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm (to autojoin multiple chat channels, type several channel names, comma-separated)

what kind of committment is the test raid guild anyway?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Level 100, one raid every two weeks min (Sun/tues/thurs 6pm CST), not a tank class.

Competence is secondary in that we don't guild kick you for mediocrity, only downright AWFULNESS, and I mean you have to be absolutely horrendous in addition to being a social shitlord. If you're a healer who's outhealed by paladin splashes and shaman rains, or a DPS who parses lower than the tanks, you will probably get bitched at constantly....but we still have a good number of people who fit that category who've been raiding for a year now!

If you meet the first requirements and don't mind learning how to raid, we have a surprising number of really good raiders who'll help you get up to speed on raid stuff as well as knocking out group missions and such for the rewards. We're really really good about adopting newbies who try and turning them into bitter vets, just ask Wiji. He was a really nice goon when he joined, now he teaches people new curse words over vent fairly regularly :kiddo:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

vigorous sodomy posted:

Well that's kinda sad :(

Uninstalled.

Neat

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Share in the pain on test! Watch melee classes bid up rogues on daggers outside of rot bids! Revel in the wonders of people sitting in front of raid mobs! Puzzle as to why so many died in the wolf pit!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

HAHAH THE MEMORIES!

We actually have a mostly-functional raid force these days (not at all like you remember), and the explicitly complete failures like dying in the wolf pit are behind us. We still suffer from a few total idiots incapable of kiting auras on DH1 (they move slower than molasses and I still don't see how someone can't kite them) but for the most part we're equivalent to a low-tier Live guild and progressing pretty quickly upward. If they'd quit loving up the Test server during our raid times, we'd have finished RoF by now, but it'll most likely die today anyway.

We're totally stacked with great tanks now, Ben/Vaft/RBD all quit so the leadership is with people who aren't morons, and we actually have ~2 groups of decent DPS plus some non-retarded healers. We still have the Teacc/Garionn people, but the guild's basically owned by the tanks at this point b/c of Wiji/Ffalin/Me, so we shame them into submission and put them into the shitlord groups we don't care about.

Aside from a few familiar names from when you came on a couple raids last year, the guild's a totally different and unrecognizable beast. Wiji and I mostly just bitch to bitch now because it isn't RoI. I'm actually pretty goddamn impressed with our performance compared to LoB a year ago. We're not competitive with actual live guilds, but we're destroying poo poo relative to the Test server anywhere in the past. Now's a pretty good time to come raid on Test if goons just wanna see what raids are like :shobon: Ultra low requirements and being a goon means the leadership quietly takes care of you since we're all goons or manipulated by goons :v: Guild would collapse if the goons didn't get their way and everybody knows it.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Do rangers actually use bows these days or are they still forced to be a weird rogues with spells instead of backstab?

Captain Catapult
Nov 8, 2011
Played this game for a while like 4 years ago. Got to level 55 as a cleric, but did play that much and didn't learn the game all that well. Leveling flew by to be honest.
Thinking of picking it up again, and starting a new character, but i am unsure what to play.

I didn't feel very "clericy" while playing last time (not as far as my reasons for playing a healer at least, i don't think i ever cast a single heal). My merc tanked for me while i used some sort of lightning strike (?) to kill enemies slowly.
In general there doesn't seem to be a lot of buttons to click in this game? At least compared to say EQ2 where you easily have 4 hotbars of 12 buttons each to press.

I can't see myself playing something other than a support/healer character, but it doesn't have to be a cleric i suppose. I enjoy grouping and I really enjoy going back to old content and soloing that (for example on my Warden or Mystic in EQ2 or on my Shaman in WoW)
I thought about starting a Shaman in EQ. Are these mostly used as a box by veteran players, and i will have trouble finding a group? Is there any grouping at all before max level?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bugamol posted:

Do rangers actually use bows these days or are they still forced to be a weird rogues with spells instead of backstab?

They use bows during one part of a disc burn, otherwise they're still weird rogues with spells instead of backstab. They did get headshot changed to proc on blues instead of just light blues, so that might've improved their bow DPS enough to be viable if you're in the right group? I can't remember the last time I grinded blue mobs, so I have no idea really.

^^^
The game gets faster-paced later, it was just slow early. Some classes are more active than others. I'm clicking something every GCD and usually something in between on SK, Pally/Bst/Ranger/Monk are also pretty button-intensive. Healers in general become way more frantic later when you make it into content that requires the tank be healed after every round of the mob's attack or he's dead.

Somebody else'll have to answer the grouping question if you're playing on Live servers, but if you're wanting to play on the free Test server, there's absolutely no grouping below 95. 95+ you can find gen chat groups for running the same kill task over and over to farm currency, but it's so easy people just use a merc for the most part as healer and look for DPS. I would not recommend a solo healer on Test, but I really wouldn't recommend anyone playing solo anything on Test due to the massive lack of groups.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Shaman in eq2 have big damage absorbing wards, they don't have that in eq1 but they still have good group heals, they slow the mobs to make them do less damage, have big buffs, and their epic is good for DPS classes. So they are a good support class.

Some bad things about them is that half people have a box shaman somewhere(that they play poorly). And shaman can't power level alts for you, outside of making damage shield potions.

Fortunately, if you legit play a shaman well then any group would want you, and any raid would want you too.

Other options for support are druid and enchanter. Where shaman support mostly melee, druids and enchanter support casters. Their soloability is higher. Enchanter can do some hosed up poo poo at high level like tank entire dungeons without taking damage (they have wards/runes). At 85+ you can charm stuff in neriak4th and go all the way to 100 doing that.

If you want to kill old content, join a progression guild, they do raids in era gear and levels. So it's easy to catch up to them.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 22, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

If I can find a somewhat painless way to get Zapzan or Jhelora to 100, I'd raid for a while and DPS while not dying to dumb poo poo like a pubbie. Probably prefer Jhelora (rangger) unless the mage offers some crazy utility, especially since my Paladin is a no go.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 23, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Dubious posted:

If I can find a somewhat painless way to get Zapzan or Jhelora to 100, I'd raid for a while and DPS while not dying to dumb poo poo like a pubbie. Probably prefer Jhelora (rangger) unless the mage offers some crazy utility.

We just took down the first Neriak raid within an hour of the first time we attempted it, which isn't a huge thing for jetz0r, Node, or anyone else on the cutting edge, but we're stomping the gently caress out of content as far as Test server goes. Darkhand and I can get you in and hook you up with a fantastic raider of either class, so play what you want and we'll make sure you have fun :) You're one of my oldest goon EQ friends, so all you have to do is log in!

One of our absolute best (and in my top 10 most awesome/nicest people I've ever met in this game) is a ranger. If you wanna rock Jhelora, we can get him to 100 fast and we'll make sure you stomp as a ranger if you want to. I'm going to be finishing my wizard to 100 in the next week anyway. If you actually want to come see some raids and become pretty drat good at it, I'll fix you up with Warlordt and you'll be top 10 parse in group gear in a couple weeks.

I said the same thing to darkhand a year ago when he was boxing HoT group progression and now he's leading raids. You too can enjoy the fun of crapping on idiots and evolving into a screaming raid leader if you want to :)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, I'll just start logging in and figuring out how to do the grind to 100! I'll probably just box my paladin and make a heroic shaman to have a little static group, but would love to see some new content. Can't make a ton of days but since the requirement is pretty chill i can definitely be there at least once a week :v:

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Anyone know/have any experience with the rumor that mage/necro pets got stealth nerfed? Both in DPS and tanking ability?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
edit: Any of you able to test copy over, or have osmium chain and plate, and consort silk templates? As well as some wraps to finish up a set of silk?

Dubious fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bugamol posted:

Anyone know/have any experience with the rumor that mage/necro pets got stealth nerfed? Both in DPS and tanking ability?

It wasn't stealth, it was just straight up put into patch notes a while back, but it's basically unnoticeable. They still tank totally fine with a current EM focus. I think you can get up to 15 now in group content from Neriak? My necro has 17 and pet can tank nameds fine everywhere but probably PoWar. Mages with 19 can pretty much pet tank anything easily.

^^ I don't have any on copy, but I can make you some anytime if you gather up the mats.