Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, I never had any IPv6 configuration questions on my CCNAX. There might be on the upcoming revision though, if they're pushing for "future everything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

As a person with VCP and MCSA Server 2012, I can wholeheartedly say that I wish this was true.

Purely anecdotal but having a VCP and MCSA 2012 (also 2008) plus relevant experience put me over the six figure mark in the NY metro area.

Where are you located? What work are you doing with VMware or Windows servers?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MJP posted:

Purely anecdotal but having a VCP and MCSA 2012 (also 2008) plus relevant experience put me over the six figure mark in the NY metro area.

Fresh out of school, so zero relevant experience. That's why I was saying that the two certs alone don't mean squat. Plus I live in Vancouver where wages are artificially low and living expenses artificially high plus half of Canada wants to move to Vancouver so the low-end labour market is saturated. I mean hopefully eventually it'll lead to better things, but seeing as most people involved in the hiring process have no idea what it takes to get those two certs, they have no idea what the real value of it is. Basically if I hadn't given up on having a life outside of studying for months on end, I would never have earned the certs that I have now.

HPL fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 22, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MJP posted:

I was about to post the same - if you've got both of these and a tiny bit of experience you shouldn't experience any difficulty finding a decent paying gig.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

HPL posted:

Fresh out of school, so zero relevant experience. That's why I was saying that the two certs alone don't mean squat. Plus I live in Vancouver where wages are artificially low and living expenses artificially high plus half of Canada wants to move to Vancouver so the low-end labour market is saturated. I mean hopefully eventually it'll lead to better things, but seeing as most people involved in the hiring process have no idea what it takes to get those two certs, they have no idea what the real value of it is. Basically if I hadn't given up on having a life outside of studying for months on end, I would never have earned the certs that I have now.

I can't speak for the Vancouver job market but you have applied?

All Job Ads at the end of the day are merely wish lists.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've been in IT for nearly 10 years now, with 1 year experience as a virtualization admin, 1 year as an Exchange admin, and nearly 2 years as a Jr Systems Admin (all in a massive enterprise environment). Add in a couple years as desktop support, and then another 3 years of helpdesk. I've got a wide range of skills and experience, so I'm fairly confident that if I add the MCSA 2012 I can get around $80-85k a year in the Dayton, OH area. Maybe as high as $100k if I find something in Cincinnati or Columbus. I will admit that the VCP and MCSA without experience won't come anywhere close to making six figures, but the likelihood that someone would even get those certs before even working one day in IT is so minute that it's almost impossible to calculate.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Hah wow yeah I make $60k now as L3 onsite support but feel i'm overpayed by a little bit. I do a lot of small IT projects, planning, etc but definitely need to get some certs behind my experience. I think if I could get $60-80k range with some vcp and server certs in a major city in the south i'd be happy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's exactly level 3 support?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
L1: Service desk in south america that can speak broken english
L2: Someone that didn't quit in a year, speaks english, and has used a computer supporting their parents
L3: Local computer janitor type. Handles small projects like wireless planning, deployment minor server management, handle the voip phones (cisco/lync), door security system rights. It is really vague and depends on your location. One guy might only re-image pc's and setup user stuff where more remote have a lot of free reign. I have a bit more having a high priority well logging data site in the gulf of mexico and port area.

Next level has server team and network team. So I'm capped getting more experience at work until you move up but they want you to be server or ccna before moving up but don't allow you to work with the stuff.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I thought Level 3 was the infrastructure stuff and Level 2 was the onsite computer janitors?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Finally, finally passed ICND2 earlier this morning on my second attempt. Scored an 862.

I got almost the exact same questions (which I had gone back and studied) I did the first time, and the area I did badly on before, IP Services, I scored 100% on. I'm almost worried about verification, because it's such a big jump compared to my first attempt in that section, but I know I'm just being dumb.

Anyway, I'm finally (preliminarily) a CCNA. Hooray. I know I'm just touching on the lucrative certs but I'm probably taking a few months off from studying for anything cert related unless work wants me to do it on paid time. Just need a break from feeling like I need to do anything but relax with my family when I'm home.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Finally, finally passed ICND2 earlier this morning on my second attempt. Scored an 862.

I got almost the exact same questions (which I had gone back and studied) I did the first time, and the area I did badly on before, IP Services, I scored 100% on. I'm almost worried about verification, because it's such a big jump compared to my first attempt in that section, but I know I'm just being dumb.

Anyway, I'm finally (preliminarily) a CCNA. Hooray. I know I'm just touching on the lucrative certs but I'm probably taking a few months off from studying for anything cert related unless work wants me to do it on paid time. Just need a break from feeling like I need to do anything but relax with my family when I'm home.

Congrats! :yotj: How long did it take you from when you started to now?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

L1: Service desk in south america that can speak broken english
L2: Someone that didn't quit in a year, speaks english, and has used a computer supporting their parents
L3: Local computer janitor type. Handles small projects like wireless planning, deployment minor server management, handle the voip phones (cisco/lync), door security system rights. It is really vague and depends on your location. One guy might only re-image pc's and setup user stuff where more remote have a lot of free reign. I have a bit more having a high priority well logging data site in the gulf of mexico and port area.

Next level has server team and network team. So I'm capped getting more experience at work until you move up but they want you to be server or ccna before moving up but don't allow you to work with the stuff.

Where are you located? What company?

$60k does seem relatively on the high-end but not an impossible number to hit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've been in IT for nearly 10 years now, with 1 year experience as a virtualization admin, 1 year as an Exchange admin, and nearly 2 years as a Jr Systems Admin (all in a massive enterprise environment). Add in a couple years as desktop support, and then another 3 years of helpdesk. I've got a wide range of skills and experience, so I'm fairly confident that if I add the MCSA 2012 I can get around $80-85k a year in the Dayton, OH area. Maybe as high as $100k if I find something in Cincinnati or Columbus. I will admit that the VCP and MCSA without experience won't come anywhere close to making six figures, but the likelihood that someone would even get those certs before even working one day in IT is so minute that it's almost impossible to calculate.

Is it anyone's experience to hit or get near six-figures you have to work for one of the big firms directly (Microsoft,Cisco,VMware,etc) - OR - some combination of Cisco, Microsoft, VMware certification/experience?

On the other hand Linux or Database guys get paid just as well and are able to stay with-in one product line - does anyone find that peculiar?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 22, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Congrats! :yotj: How long did it take you from when you started to now?

Uh, heh. I think from when I formally started to today, probably a full year (I've been talking about it for much longer). Passed ICND1 on my first try in late January, failed ICND2 in mid March, and now I'm done.

Honestly the amount of material covered does not necessitate anywhere near how long I took, but given my lovely study habits and having a toddler, I took a long time.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Where are you located? What company?

$60k does seem relatively on the high-end but not an impossible number to hit.

I'm south of New Orleans 50 miles in a smaller town. I think part of it is their stringent hair drug test keeps failing hiring when we do hire. It is for an oilfield service company so there is some infrastructure support, projects, and I have dealt with negotiates of service/contract type stuff. But yeah a little on the high end for the area when most other places pay low 50's.

As for the L1, L2, L3. I think it depends on the company. We have 140k employees, main office, field office, and offshore offices. So that is possibly why they structure onsite/computer janitors in 3 since we're not fully infrastructure and not fully L2. But I do see they wish to remove as much local people and have support out of south america.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Congrats! :hfive:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah it's an into to to DC Tech but there is just so much about how many 40g upstream ports are on xyz N2K or what Port type for an FCoE connection for this or that. No trouble shooting or actual config really so far. Just a lotttt of different stuff. I'm thinking I should have taken vanilla CCNP path and lock down R&S fundamentals first before exploring specialization.

I found this the other day, may be useful? http://jensd.be/698/network/how-to-prepare-for-cisco-ccna-data-center-640-916-dcict

E. got my 640-911 this week and the only thing I'm still struggling with is the stupid appendix B-2 product memorization bullshit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

I'm south of New Orleans 50 miles in a smaller town. I think part of it is their stringent hair drug test keeps failing hiring when we do hire. It is for an oilfield service company so there is some infrastructure support, projects, and I have dealt with negotiates of service/contract type stuff. But yeah a little on the high end for the area when most other places pay low 50's.

As for the L1, L2, L3. I think it depends on the company. We have 140k employees, main office, field office, and offshore offices. So that is possibly why they structure onsite/computer janitors in 3 since we're not fully infrastructure and not fully L2. But I do see they wish to remove as much local people and have support out of south america.

:lol: Is this actually a legal requirement or is management still stuck living in 1950?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Probably an insurance requirement.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Congrats! I'm in the same situation you were in (have ICND1, failed ICND2 once), what study materials did you use?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

beepsandboops posted:

Congrats! I'm in the same situation you were in (have ICND1, failed ICND2 once), what study materials did you use?

CBTNuggets and Lammle's book. Alternated between GNS3, Boson NetSim, and recently Packet Tracer (since they made it free) for labs. Kinda preferred Packet Tracer.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

psydude posted:

Probably an insurance requirement.

Yeah, insurance and the oil companies that hire us requirement to work with. Whatever. 6 months back drug test allows alcoholism...

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ashley Madison posted:

I found this the other day, may be useful? http://jensd.be/698/network/how-to-prepare-for-cisco-ccna-data-center-640-916-dcict

E. got my 640-911 this week and the only thing I'm still struggling with is the stupid appendix B-2 product memorization bullshit.

Yeah I have that bookmarked.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Hey all, I'm looking to progress my CCNA into a CCNP. What are some good books that will cover everything I need to know for the CCNP?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tab8715 posted:

:lol: Is this actually a legal requirement or is management still stuck living in 1950?

I'm 39, have been working in various IT roles for over 15 years, and have yet to have been hired anywhere that *didn't* drug test - and that's in Austin, Tx.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Umbreon posted:

Hey all, I'm looking to progress my CCNA into a CCNP. What are some good books that will cover everything I need to know for the CCNP?

I just got done doing the ROUTE, and I can tell you that the Cisco Press books (the 'Official' Certification Guide and the Foundation Learning Guide) don't cover everything on the exam. I ended up doing a combination of the two, plus CBT Nuggets, plus searching the web for random bits that I saw on my first two attempts, and even then it took me 3 tries to pass. They cover the content of things you'll be seeing in sims and simlets very well, but there's a lot of weird questions about things like Cisco Easy Virtual Networking (it's just a goddamn trunk port you assholes), IPv6, and PPPoE that just aren't covered well (or hardly at all) in the books.

The only real advice I can give you is to read the exam blueprint on Cisco's website, and then don't trust Cisco ever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Raven457 posted:

I'm 39, have been working in various IT roles for over 15 years, and have yet to have been hired anywhere that *didn't* drug test - and that's in Austin, Tx.

What's your employer history? I understand the need if you're working for law enforcement, healthcare, heavy machinery but otherwise I don't see any benefit.

I've been tested at a Hospital and as a ATT Contractor (Government) but your big tech firms (Apple,Cisco,IBM,Microsoft,etc) don't test.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Tab8715 posted:

What's your employer history? I understand the need if you're working for law enforcement, healthcare, heavy machinery but otherwise I don't see any benefit.

I've been tested at a Hospital and as a ATT Contractor (Government) but your big tech firms (Apple,Cisco,IBM,Microsoft,etc) don't test.

I can't remember the last job I wasn't drug tested for. Fast food maybe? That being 17 years ago. I've worked all over the place - FedEx box tosser, (basic) accounting for an airline, electrician, small POS company, major retail box store and now 3 IT jobs from help desk to sysadmin level stuff. All of those required a drug test.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

rafikki posted:

If you really want a class, a lot of community colleges do them and I imagine it's a drat sight cheaper than $5000.

I think even if you do out of state prices for an online course, you'll come out ahead.

It'll take longer but you'll have a lot more labs and practice time, plus discounts on the test.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I told myself after I passed ICND2 Saturday that I was done with certs for a few months, but I'm already wondering what I want to do next. Depends on if I get a networking position soon or not, I think. I guess as far as valuable still-kinda-generalist certs that will help in nearly any role, there's VCP or MCSA 2012, right?

How do VMWare's certs compare to Microsoft's? I feel like more than half of studying for a Microsoft exam is studying for the actual exam, as opposed to learning the material.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've enjoyed VMware certs, it's cool how each lab builds on top of the previous lab and helps you retain what you've learned.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Ugato posted:

I can't remember the last job I wasn't drug tested for. Fast food maybe? That being 17 years ago. I've worked all over the place - FedEx box tosser, (basic) accounting for an airline, electrician, small POS company, major retail box store and now 3 IT jobs from help desk to sysadmin level stuff. All of those required a drug test.

It's getting to the point where the Feds are thinking about not testing because they can't find enough people who would pass. :420:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I took my CCNA classes at a local community college recently. The Cisco academy packet tracer labs were a great learning resource, but one thing that bothered me is they seem to be very lacking in troubleshooting. Its mostly theory and configuration of various protocols but not much in the way of how to diagnosis and repair of common network issues that are seen in the real world. So do anyone know of any resource that can help in this area? Maybe like some third party packet tracer labs that have configuration errors that need to be fixed or something else that would be good for training? Thanks.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

I just got done doing the ROUTE, and I can tell you that the Cisco Press books (the 'Official' Certification Guide and the Foundation Learning Guide) don't cover everything on the exam. I ended up doing a combination of the two, plus CBT Nuggets, plus searching the web for random bits that I saw on my first two attempts, and even then it took me 3 tries to pass. They cover the content of things you'll be seeing in sims and simlets very well, but there's a lot of weird questions about things like Cisco Easy Virtual Networking (it's just a goddamn trunk port you assholes), IPv6, and PPPoE that just aren't covered well (or hardly at all) in the books.

The only real advice I can give you is to read the exam blueprint on Cisco's website, and then don't trust Cisco ever.

Well poo poo. Are there really no better alternatives? I found tons of great stuff back on my CCNA, but CCNP has been slim pickins so far.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Umbreon posted:

Well poo poo. Are there really no better alternatives? I found tons of great stuff back on my CCNA, but CCNP has been slim pickins so far.

I think part of it is that the CCNP builds off the CCNA, and I took the 1.0 version of the test, so if they revised in some things I might not have seen them as much on the CCNA when I did it. Plus, in all fairness, I spend comparatively little time on routers and routing protocols, so I expected ROUTE to be the worst of the three.

That being said, there's basically nothing on PPPoE or EVN in either of those books, and they're both on the blueprint. I'm not sure why that's the case.

The CBT Nuggets Home Lab series for ROUTE was excellent, as recommended earlier in the thread; knowing that lab content will have you ready for just about any of the sims or simlets, and a good part of the test to boot.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Add in a couple years as desktop support, and then another 3 years of helpdesk. I've got a wide range of skills and experience, so I'm fairly confident that if I add the MCSA 2012 I can get around $80-85k a year in the Dayton, OH area. Maybe as high as $100k if I find something in Cincinnati or Columbus. \

Yeah, that's about right (based on a quick poll of the three MCSA 2012 guys I know from my office down the street from you. )

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I just passed Network+. I'm in Austin, TX, and I work a bad manual labor job. I have an AA. I have been the pseudo-IT guy at most office jobs I've worked but it was never my primary function.

Are there jobs I can reasonably get with just the Net+ cert?

I'm immediately starting on CCNA, but it would be alot easier if I could get out of digging ditches in the meantime. (I'm assuming I could get a job with CCNA, is that correct?)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

40 OZ posted:

I just passed Network+. I'm in Austin, TX, and I work a bad manual labor job. I have an AA. I have been the pseudo-IT guy at most office jobs I've worked but it was never my primary function.

Are there jobs I can reasonably get with just the Net+ cert?

I'm immediately starting on CCNA, but it would be alot easier if I could get out of digging ditches in the meantime. (I'm assuming I could get a job with CCNA, is that correct?)

Im pretty sure you could get some tech support jobs with a Net+. They wont be great tech support jobs, think like your local cable company or DSL provider telling old ladies how to connect to their wifi router that kind of thing. Hell I had a job like that a long time ago and I didnt even have a Net+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Charliegrs posted:

Im pretty sure you could get some tech support jobs with a Net+. They wont be great tech support jobs, think like your local cable company or DSL provider telling old ladies how to connect to their wifi router that kind of thing. Hell I had a job like that a long time ago and I didnt even have a Net+.

I always advocate for call center jobs in telecoms in general as a way to get your foot in the door anyway.

I get it, call centers suck, but what makes ISPs a good choice is that they're huge organizations with tons of vertical progression available to you. Call Center jobs are easy to land, in my organization actually pay pretty good, and being able to wave a certification around will put you above 99% of your coworkers who are just there for a paycheck. As long as you stay hungry and apply to anything and everything internally, it's not unheard of to get out before your first year's up. Plus FCC regulations state that certain support personnel have to be physically located on the company footprint so you have less of a chance of getting outsourced.

The person who trained me worked at the call center for 1.5 years, got his CCENT and got picked up by the NOC. 8 months later he got his CCNA and got promoted up a level in the NOC. Two years later he got his CCNP R&S and became a firewall admin.

I haven't looked at the Network+ curriculum but I imagine it's a good start on moving towards a CCNA. poo poo, you could just slap a "currently studying for CCNA" on your resume under that N+ and prove you know the difference between a switch and a router to land my job.