Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If you're building Affinity for this then yeah, the old Mirrodin era lists are probably a better jumping off point than current Modern Affinity. Obviously, it's not a strict 1 for 1; Memnite seems great, Mox Opal is still Mox Opal, and Galv Blast is probably an upgrade to Shrapnel Blast, for instance. This format also sounds absurdly degenerate and it's entirely possible that you need to build your deck to maximize turn 3 kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm thinking I want to keep Vault Skirge as a t1 play that can't be Misteped. Or maybe I don't care about people dropping two life slowing down one of the fastest decks that has ever been.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Guess I'll try to find old lists where they were played, which I guess would be the old Mirrodin-era standard Affinity? I don't know how to use Skullclamp right, seems like there's a risk to giving up board presence to it. Do I still play Inkmoth and Blinkmoth Nexus? Keep Darksteel Citadel?

There's also the question of if I keep Ensoul Artifact, which I really like but I think the last successful Affinity modern deck was red-leaning with Galvanic Blasts.

Don't forget to pack your Mental Missteps.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Clamp guys. Draw free guys. Clamp free guys. Attack for a billion.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-08-15-affinity/

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Snacksmaniac posted:

Clamp guys. Draw free guys. Clamp free guys. Attack for a billion.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-08-15-affinity/

yeah that's the sort of list I'd end up on. Black red was the way to go in original mirrodin with disciple and shrapnel blast and atog. This list looks absolutely brutal. Thank you modern ban list for keeping from having to play against this deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My Reanimator list for SCG if anyone who's played this deck more than me has any comments...

1x Little Jace
3x Gristlebrand
1x Elesh Norn
1x Iona
1x Archtype of Endurance
1x Sire of Insanity

1x Izzet Charm
4x Reanimate
4x Exhume
2x Animate Dead
4x Careful Study
4x Entomb
2x Misdirection
2x Show and Tell
4x Brainstorm
4x Force of Will
4x Daze

4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Scalding Tarn
1x Swamp
2x Badlands
2x Tropical Island
4x Underground Sea

SB
1x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
3x Thoughtsieze
4x Abrupt Decay
2x Pithing Needle
1x Darkblast
2x Show and Tell
2x Flusterstorm

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty minor, but why not play Polluted Deltas instead of Tarns so your fetches can always grab all of your lands?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AgentSythe posted:

Pretty minor, but why not play Polluted Deltas instead of Tarns so your fetches can always grab all of your lands?

Tarns can grab all my lands... Oh i guess the swamp? Yeah thats true... I'll switch out the Tarns for Deltas.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 26, 2015

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

My Reanimator list for SCG if anyone who's played this deck more than me has any comments...

I don't think I really like Archetype, as well as having red in the deck honestly. Game 1 you just want to throw out a guy as fast as you can, preferrably one they can't handle easily (griselbrand/inkwell). That's also the reason why I think Jace is a solid sideboard card but just doesn't play into our mainboard plan at all. Misdirection is probably worth toying with. It seems like you're low on looting effects, I'd look into upping those (Careful Study > Izzet Charm). I don't play Show and Tells in my list and I like it a ton, but that's probably just a personal call. Just some random jumbled thoughts, I've had a lot of success in larger events with this deck but don't consider myself an expect by any means.

edit: oohhh, you don't have any petals in there! That card is so good.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

For someone who's never played legacy, what's the best way to get in? I started playing magic around BNG, and switched over to playing modern only around DTK. I have a playset of mm15 goyf that I'll probably be posting in the buy/sell thread when I get around to it that I'm hoping will finance some number of JtMS and FoW if I buy at TCG low.

After watching a ton of legacy videos on YouTube, I'm thinking of building miracles. I know it has a bad rap as really slow to play against so I'm planning on proxying the deck up to play practice casual games while I build it since it's a hard deck to play. However, I'd really like to start playing sooner.

I have modern burn built which I'm thinking of switching over to legacy burn. Is burn viable in legacy? I know just kind of jumping in and playing is the best way to learn, so if there's something I'm missing any tips help.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mef989 posted:

For someone who's never played legacy, what's the best way to get in? I started playing magic around BNG, and switched over to playing modern only around DTK. I have a playset of mm15 goyf that I'll probably be posting in the buy/sell thread when I get around to it that I'm hoping will finance some number of JtMS and FoW if I buy at TCG low.

After watching a ton of legacy videos on YouTube, I'm thinking of building miracles. I know it has a bad rap as really slow to play against so I'm planning on proxying the deck up to play practice casual games while I build it since it's a hard deck to play. However, I'd really like to start playing sooner.

I have modern burn built which I'm thinking of switching over to legacy burn. Is burn viable in legacy? I know just kind of jumping in and playing is the best way to learn, so if there's something I'm missing any tips help.

If you already have the goyfs why not go xUG/Thresh?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Burn is like tier 2 in Legacy, I think. You get more powerful by adding in chain lightning, fireblast, and price of progress, but that's not enough to outweigh the increased power of your opposition and, more importantly, the fact that your opponents aren't hurting themselves quite so much because they're not playing shocklands.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

Burn is like tier 2 in Legacy, I think. You get more powerful by adding in chain lightning, fireblast, and price of progress, but that's not enough to outweigh the increased power of your opposition and, more importantly, the fact that your opponents aren't hurting themselves quite so much because they're not playing shocklands.

Burn is a consistent turn 4 combo undisrupted in a format that has turn 2-3 combo kills undisrupted. It's a lot more resilient than other combo decks though and interacts better with fair deck disruption (like thalias, etc). Hate for it is usually not played but when it is it gets beaten down.

It's not as powerful as it is in modern and it exists outside the tier 1 meta of Miracles & Delver but legacy is a format of tier 2 decks.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lonely Bridge posted:

I don't think I really like Archetype, as well as having red in the deck honestly. Game 1 you just want to throw out a guy as fast as you can, preferrably one they can't handle easily (griselbrand/inkwell). That's also the reason why I think Jace is a solid sideboard card but just doesn't play into our mainboard plan at all. Misdirection is probably worth toying with. It seems like you're low on looting effects, I'd look into upping those (Careful Study > Izzet Charm). I don't play Show and Tells in my list and I like it a ton, but that's probably just a personal call. Just some random jumbled thoughts, I've had a lot of success in larger events with this deck but don't consider myself an expect by any means.

Apparently the Archetype shores up some of the deck's bad matchups; namely, Death & Taxes and other decks that can use spot removal and Karakas to shut down most of your other guys. Archetype + Elesh Norn is instant game over. And red is for Pyroblast and Izzet Charm, both of which are necessary or a pure house. My friend's list is up to 4 Izzet Charms and 4 Careful Studies, and 2 JVPs at the expense of Dazes and Animate Deads (I suspect because it's the only re-animation spell that can be Decayed).

What would Misdirection even be for? Re-targeting a Surgical Extraction?

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
I sorta like the list but I have some see some things that are missing myself. I'm not a renimator player or I should say haven't been since it was an Extended Deck back around 7th Edition.
I feel Like the lotus petals can add for a quicker combo off. I also think the Sire is an amazing Sideboard card and you could have a 4th Gristlebrand Main board. Two other side board cards I see that may be missing are
2x Through The breach (I saw some people using them in case Show and tell is shut off and graveyard hate is in play.)
2x Coffin Purge ( I saw this last Player championship and Remembered that this was some old school Mirror tech that you could use to really stop another renimator deck in its tracks)

The Missdirection seams like a cool card to have in the deck it could be a 5-6th Force of Will or something to stop a Thoughtsieze from ripping a good hand apart. But I think that they may be wasted cards in the main. Yeah It can stop a bunch of threats from some decks. But against some of your harder matches its a straight up dead Card.

I had the same thoughts with my current Miracles List. I was short a card (Couldn't find them fast enough for the event) I thought about putting a single misdirection main board. Yeah its good against Storm, and other combo decks and any big deck with discard. But against some of the more fair decks it kinda is just a dead card. Id rather have a 4th Swords to Plow shares. At least that gives me an out against the more creature heavy decks and could even allow me to win if I have to swords my own creatures.

just my opinion of course. Ill be down in Jersey for the event as well. Best of luck

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

Mef989 posted:

I think the best way to get into Legacy is just to find a deck you like proxy it and play the hell out of it.

As a Miracles player the bad rap as a really slow deck isn't always true. It depends on the Pilot and the matchup. Miracles is a control deck and yeah they have a way to be slow but it's not uncommon for a quick kill to come out of them with either Mentor/Top combo or a early entreat. Miracles is a fun deck to play. But if you do want to convert your Modern Burn to legacy its not that bad of a deck. Its still a fun deck to play and can come in and win games quickly. Burn may be the best way to wade into the format and just learn how to play it while you build what ever deck you you want . But With Four Goyfs you could always build some of the Goyf Decks in Legacy ( I personally hate the card)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lonely Bridge posted:

What other looting effects do you play if you're not playing Izzet Charm? Hapless Researcher?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

What other looting effects do you play if you're not playing Izzet Charm? Hapless Researcher?

Faithless Looting is an option.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chamale posted:

Faithless Looting is an option.

Yeah but I think Izzet Charm is better if you're already playing Red. It's another pitch to Force/Missdriection at worst...

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mef989 posted:

Miracles isn't slow, you just need experience with it to be fast. Personally I would recommend starting with RUG or BUG delver (also known as canadian thresh, and team america respectively). Both run Goyf as basically the most expensive non-land card, and are quite good. I suppose the first question is do you already own lands, because which duals you own affects what you can play significantly

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

L0cke17 posted:

Miracles isn't slow, you just need experience with it to be fast. Personally I would recommend starting with RUG or BUG delver (also known as canadian thresh, and team america respectively). Both run Goyf as basically the most expensive non-land card, and are quite good. I suppose the first question is do you already own lands, because which duals you own affects what you can play significantly
Thresh is awesome, confirmed. It's great for learning because if you make a mistake or fall behind you will probably lose.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I wouldn't recommend RUG Delver for babby's first legacy deck. I've been playing it for 2 years and I still constantly find the right line 10 seconds after I take a different one. RUG Delver is 52 bad cards that all have a ton of synergy and it really requires a lot of knowledge of legacy and the stack. BUG Delver is fine depending on the build. It's basically modern Jund where it's just the 60 best cards in those colors. I'd go with Hymn and no Stifles to start.

Edit: To be clear if your goal is to win don't start with RUG Delver. If your goal is to learn it's fantastic for the reasons in the post above. You'll learn to play or you'll lose.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: To be clear if your goal is to win don't start with RUG Delver. If your goal is to learn it's fantastic for the reasons in the post above. You'll learn to play or you'll lose.
Oh absolutely. I've been playing it for a couple months (after switching from a year of Miracles through D&T and BUG Delver) and I'm just now getting up to about 60% win rate in my local weekly.

It is *so satisfying* when I squeak out a win, and when I lose I get to play the "how did I screw up this time" game between rounds. There are also times where you get to waste/stifle someone out of playing Magic, and those are fun too I guess... But I think I've learned more by far in 2 months of RUG Delver than in the same amount of time with any other deck.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I don't actually already own any of the ABUR Duals, so I've already accepted that I'll slowly have to purchase/trade for these for any deck I plan to build. Those Goyf are extra so luckily I can trade them off and still consider Goyf decks. I've been eyeing BUG as an option, so I'll take a look at it. I typically love grindy control / midrange / BGx Good Stuff decks, so that sounds like another good option that I might proxy to try out. For the record, Junk / Twin are the two modern decks I play the most and love both. Just so I know the differences, how does Shardless BUG stack up with BUG Delver?

Thanks for the input on Burn too. Since it sounds good enough for weekly events, I think I'll switch modern burn over to legacy so that I can actually at least play in events. Jumping in feet first and just playing seems like the best way to learn, and then I can just play games with whichever proxy deck between rounds.

I guess now the question is what is the best shop in the Seattle / Tacoma area to play regular legacy with a good crowd? I'm thinking of NW Sportscards in Tacoma since they are close, but Green Lake Games in Seattle apparently advertises Modern and Legacy on Sunday. Does anyone know much about this shop? I've only been there once for a Modern GPT.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Re: Delver Talk.

Grixis is, in my opinion, the best version of Delver to be playing now. It has the same disruption as RUG but you can play the long game much more effectively.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Mef989 posted:

I don't actually already own any of the ABUR Duals, so I've already accepted that I'll slowly have to purchase/trade for these for any deck I plan to build. Those Goyf are extra so luckily I can trade them off and still consider Goyf decks. I've been eyeing BUG as an option, so I'll take a look at it. I typically love grindy control / midrange / BGx Good Stuff decks, so that sounds like another good option that I might proxy to try out. For the record, Junk / Twin are the two modern decks I play the most and love both. Just so I know the differences, how does Shardless BUG stack up with BUG Delver?
Shardless is a grindy deck full of 2-for-1s. BUG Delver is a tempo deck that is slower than RUG but has better removal options and Deathrite Shaman. It's more forgiving than RUG, but is still Delver. If you want to grind, play Shardless (or Jund, but really play Shardless).

quote:

I guess now the question is what is the best shop in the Seattle / Tacoma area to play regular legacy with a good crowd? I'm thinking of NW Sportscards in Tacoma since they are close, but Green Lake Games in Seattle apparently advertises Modern and Legacy on Sunday. Does anyone know much about this shop? I've only been there once for a Modern GPT.
Mox Mania has Thursday Legacy, and Card Kingdom has Monday Legacy. I haven't been to either personally but a guy from my team says both were good when he had to work in Seattle for a while.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you ever do play at MBH or CK, check the DCI numbers for the players on the pairings sheet, it's a trip. One of the regulars at CK's DCI # is 11.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mef989 posted:

Card kingdom does modern Saturday and legacy Monday. Mox Boarding house does modern Friday and legacy thursday. Green lake games does legacy and modern on Sundays. Ck and MBH are the best though imo.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

The Izzet Charm Archetype junk looks awful, you're slowing the deck down for worse cards. Play Careful Study and Entomb for dumping dudes into the yard.

This is what I go with: Link

I'd play Inkwell Leviathan over Tidespout or Titan main now.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mef989 posted:

For the record, Junk / Twin are the two modern decks I play the most and love both.

lol

edit for content: yeah definitely just play Hymn BUG Delver or Shardless BUG. definitely what you are looking for

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 27, 2015

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

lol

edit for content: yeah definitely just play Hymn BUG Delver or Shardless BUG. definitely what you are looking for

To each their own I guess. I'm sure I'm not the only goon who likes those decks. I'm definitely beginning to think BUG something is the way to go though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes I was being serious in suggesting that both of those decks are what you would enjoy playing. Shardless BUG is basically jund except you get to play ancestral recall (10 of them!)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

yes I was being serious in suggesting that both of those decks are what you would enjoy playing. Shardless BUG is basically jund except you get to play ancestral recall (10 of them!)

Also Shardless BUG is bad. Play RUG Delver if you want to get good. Play BUG Delver if you just want a powerful deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lonely Bridge posted:

The Izzet Charm Archetype junk looks awful, you're slowing the deck down for worse cards. Play Careful Study and Entomb for dumping dudes into the yard.

This is what I go with: Link

I'd play Inkwell Leviathan over Tidespout or Titan main now.

im already playing 4 study and 4 entomb... Archetype is better vs Lands and D&T which is why I'm trying it instead of Inkwell.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 27, 2015

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Everblight posted:

If you ever do play at MBH or CK, check the DCI numbers for the players on the pairings sheet, it's a trip. One of the regulars at CK's DCI # is 11.

Dang, the lowest I've seen from a regular at my lgs is 4 digits.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I feel that shardless is better than both RUG and BUG Delver decks. Grixis is probably on par with it.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

im already playing 4 study and 4 entomb... Archetype is better vs Lands and D&T which is why I'm trying it instead of Inkwell.

I guess I just don't see why Archetype would ever be better than Inkwell, but I haven't really played extensively with either. I'm extremely opposed to playing 2 mana spells in the main board of this deck, and I really don't think Izzet Charm is worth the space - but play around with what you want and see how it goes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lonely Bridge posted:

I guess I just don't see why Archetype would ever be better than Inkwell, but I haven't really played extensively with either. I'm extremely opposed to playing 2 mana spells in the main board of this deck, and I really don't think Izzet Charm is worth the space - but play around with what you want and see how it goes.

Archetype giving your Elesh-Norn hexproof seems pretty big vs D&T.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

TheKingofSprings posted:

Archetype giving your Elesh-Norn hexproof seems pretty big vs D&T.
It's also 2 creatures when you could have killed them already with Inkwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

standard.deviant posted:

It's also 2 creatures when you could have killed them already with Inkwell.

This is my thinking. I guess I could be wrong, but honestly just getting 1 guy into play is hard enough as-is.

• Locked thread