Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is ED:H coming to The Xbox any time soon or at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Turmoil posted:

Yes, it is poorly worded.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/247

I think one of the updates just said that existing players will get access to it.
I don't remember seeing anything that said it was a free gift. Though it would be nice if they at least gave it at a discount or something.

I bought one at Lave a few weeks ago and flew it around a little and ended up selling it. It wasn't bad to look at, but the weapons are underpowered.
If they replaced the small hardpoints with one large it would have been an improvement and I might have kept it.

Given absolutely all of it is internal modules (and it has the same number of internal slots as an imperial clipper), i wouldn't be surprised if their logic was "there is absolutely no place to stow a large weapon on top".

I don't get all the hate, but the Cobra IV is a very utilitarian ship. It's a surface to surface trading ship? Surveying? It's a very nice explorer ship where you are just survey systems one by one but the overall jump range is poo-poo.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

Given absolutely all of it is internal modules (and it has the same number of internal slots as an imperial clipper), i wouldn't be surprised if their logic was "there is absolutely no place to stow a large weapon on top".

I don't get all the hate, but the Cobra IV is a very utilitarian ship. It's a surface to surface trading ship? Surveying? It's a very nice explorer ship where you are just survey systems one by one but the overall jump range is poo-poo.

If they had given it 4x C2 over the stale 2x C2 / 2x C1 hard point setup I think it would be more appealing to other players. As I see it, :frontear: put together this neat new ship (added some poly's to the Mk3) and them hamstrung the gently caress out of it so that people who didn't get in on the deal wouldn't have something to cry foul over.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

I've been a lazyass, but I should! So many ships I haven't reviewed that I can actually afford, now. Suppose the big question is, where to start?
I think starting with a couple of the smaller crafts (like the Diamonback Scout and Asp Scout) followed by one of the larger ones (like the Federal Assault Ship) would be helpful since the majority of the player base is likely still flying the smaller ships but that way you also provide something to read for those that are a tad richer.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Thats sorta my problem with it. Its a jack of all trades, master of none. Yeah you could use a Cobra 4 for combat but eh, why? You could use it to trade but again, there are better options. You could use it to explore but same. If you want to do all 3, get a cobra III and save up to get a python.

While the Cobra 3 is the same, it has its massive speed and decent jump range that sets it apart.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Shine posted:

Don't bother with assassination missions at all in a Sidewinder. If you want to jump right into murdering things, then I'd suggest you buy a fuel scoop (lets you refuel in supercruise by flying close to stars; generally orange or peach-colored ones), and a better frameshift drive, and make the trek out to 63 G. Capricorni. That's the home system for the goon-backed faction (Diamond Frogs) and you will find plenty of us there who will wing up to either help with assassination missions, or help you bounty hunt and make you enough cash to get into a nicer ship.

Thanks for the advice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

If they had given it 4x C2 over the stale 2x C2 / 2x C1 hard point setup I think it would be more appealing to other players. As I see it, :frontear: put together this neat new ship (added some poly's to the Mk3) and them hamstrung the gently caress out of it so that people who didn't get in on the deal wouldn't have something to cry foul over.

:confused: The Cobra IV has 3 C1, not two.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mokotow posted:

Is ED:H coming to The Xbox any time soon or at all?

AFAIK they haven't said, but I'd be a little wary. Horizons upped the system requirements and I don't know if the Xbone has the chops to keep up. Frontier do seem to be wizards when it comes to this though so maybe.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

ttam posted:

I'm not far from the bubble, maybe 1600ly, and heading out towards the spiral edge and I ran across this weird finger of stars all clustered together.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a real thing or is it a bug/glitch? I haven't found a search term that tells me anything about it. I haven't gotten into it yet to see if it's been explored yet.

Internet famous goon illectro talked about this and how most of the stars are named in Elite in a video recently. That group of stars was some specific narrow range survey.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 31, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

:confused: The Cobra IV has 3 C1, not two.

Derp.

Either way.. They should have given it 4 C2s and opened up some more utility slots. (I don't know, the ship is barely good enough at the things the Mk3 does best so I've never touched it).

Purposefully making it "meh" so that other players who can't buyit won't bitch is what I think happened still.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
So I was doing a trade run, and I found... the Frog system.

Replete with Frog news, Frog bounties, and Frog missions.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
You should find Kermit's history of Frog too. Good read.

I think it's somewhere in here or in the PGS thread.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Schindler's Fist posted:

So I was doing a trade run, and I found... the Frog system.

Replete with Frog news, Frog bounties, and Frog missions.

We considered using Frog for our base, but scouting parties found it to be actually kind of a shithole.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

What's a good mining ship to upgrade to after the Type-6? I'd rather not go with a Type-7 and be stuck in another ugly shitbox. Cool engine noises and more than 100 tons after gearing up for mining would be cool too.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LCL-Dead posted:

As I see it, :frontear: put together this neat new ship (added some poly's to the Mk3) and them hamstrung the gently caress out of it so that people who didn't get in on the deal wouldn't have something to cry foul over.

This is exactly what they did, if you look at the underside of the MK IV you can see the doors for the MK III's small hardpoints. In fact the ships are almost completely indistinguishable from one another when viewed from below.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

What's a good mining ship to upgrade to after the Type-6? I'd rather not go with a Type-7 and be stuck in another ugly shitbox. Cool engine noises and more than 100 tons after gearing up for mining would be cool too.

Asp, maybe? I think you're in the right price range to be able to kit one out nicely for mining.

Does a dropship take medium pads? Could it be a mining ship?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LCL-Dead posted:

Asp, maybe? I think you're in the right price range to be able to kit one out nicely for mining.

Does a dropship take medium pads? Could it be a mining ship?

Yes and yes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, I was thinking Asp or Dropship.

I'll have to gain more Fed Rank for the Dropship, but I nuked my wallet fitting out my Courier, so I'll have to grind no matter what ship I decide on.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rep grinding is really bad since I want to get to chief petty to get a FAS. Is Draconis my best bet? I'd rather actually do something else than relog and log constantly for donation missions.

I wish there was a more direct way of buying yourself into a position.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I swear every single O and B class star within a 5k LY radius of sol has already been discovered :ohdear:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
How do I make some quick money to upgrade my sidewinder at the very start? It doesn't have any easy missions for me or anything and I'm like "what do I even do?"

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Rabble posted:

How do I make some quick money to upgrade my sidewinder at the very start? It doesn't have any easy missions for me or anything and I'm like "what do I even do?"

From one newbie to another, I'll end up repeating what I've learned from more experience dudes. Go to busy systems with agriculture economies. That's where I picked up some easy transport missions (and there were some kill missions too). Hopefully you can pick up one of the multistep messenger missions that net you 100k for just jumping around a few systems and docking.

If you don't find any missions at one station, just travel to another and another and another until you find a board with something for you (fortunately going from station to station is pretty quick). Good luck!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I swear every single O and B class star within a 5k LY radius of sol has already been discovered :ohdear:

Pretty much, but once you get like 12k ly out there are a ton of undiscovered ones. Especially if you stay away from popular nebulae. 15k out you'll be surprised when you find a discovered one.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rabble posted:

What I did: go around on your galaxy map and look for a system with a gas giant with rings around it. Chances are there will be a Resources Extraction Site there. Go to it and keep an eye on your Contacts. As ships fly in, look towards them and scan them. If they say WANTED in the bottom left, get behind them and start shooting them. If you aren't feeling confident in your dogfighting abilities, wait for some cops to shop up (Federal Security Service ships) and wait for them to fire the first shots. If all goes well, when the ship is destroyed you'll get a bounty notice in the top right. Head to the nearest station and check you contacts to collect the reward.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rabble posted:

RVProfootballer posted:

Turns out you weren't even that lucky. I hung around a nav point for something like 2 hours last night in an Eagle, waited for the system cops and a little NPC wing to open up on any wanted ships, and then joined in. Really easily got around 600k, and that includes getting blown up with about 100k of bounties when I wasn't paying attention and started firing on a 3 person wanted wing before anyone else did. Just sit near the beacon, keep scanning new ships and keep an eye out for laser fire in the distance, and blow stuff up til your multicannons run out of ammo or you get nervous, then supercruise to the station that's ~400 LS away.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you have horizons then pick the horizon sidewander for your starter then check the bulletin board to see if there are any escape pod recovery missions. Those pay out between 80-100k each and if you find a wreck they'll be more than 1 so you can get like 180k-200k on them starting out. Thats enough for an adder and some basic fitting for trading or more people rescuing. A few more and you'll be on a cobra that you can fit either for combat or trading rather well.

If you dont have horizons you can do multi step info courier missions which pay like 100k each and dont have any cargo reqs, problem is that there is a whole lot of busy work moving from system to system to do them. Be sure to upgrade the sidewanders jump drive as quick as possible.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If you want nice targets, it's always helpful to trawl Wikipedia for things you want to look at. Just test the names in the galactic map to see if they are part of what Frontier has put into the map and if you're lucky: Presto, new interesting target which is hopefully obscure enough no-one was there yet.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

DrProsek posted:

What I did: go around on your galaxy map and look for a system with a gas giant with rings around it. Chances are there will be a Resources Extraction Site there. Go to it and keep an eye on your Contacts. As ships fly in, look towards them and scan them. If they say WANTED in the bottom left, get behind them and start shooting them. If you aren't feeling confident in your dogfighting abilities, wait for some cops to shop up (Federal Security Service ships) and wait for them to fire the first shots. If all goes well, when the ship is destroyed you'll get a bounty notice in the top right. Head to the nearest station and check you contacts to collect the reward.

This!

If you're near the starting area, head to Frigaha. Once there, set your destination as Frigaha 7. Once you're in about 800ls distance, you'll see loads of different levels of RES sites popup in the navigation tab.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

Expanding on this as someone who spends most of their time in a RES when not getting involved in DF shenanigans:
  • Activate this radio station.

• When you're looking for a system with rings and you find one, before you fly to the planet use your system map to see what kind of rings they are. You're going to be very disappointed if you fly to a planet rocking ice rings expecting to find a RES, unless one of it's inner rings is a rocky/metallic type.

• When looking for possible RES sites. You're looking for, as mentioned above, rocky or metallic ring types. Those ring types will have Resource Extraction Sites within them.

• Pick your site carefully.
    -If you are in a Sidewinder, an Eagle or something similarly small and cheap that melts easily. Low Intensity or normal RES sites are going to be your thing.
    -If you are in a Viper or Cobra you have more options. You can hit the low intensity RES locations, you can hit normal or you can hit high intensity sites. The names say it all. The lower intensity, the few pirates show up and the smaller the ships/wings are.
    -If you are in a well fit Cobra and are confident in your fighting skills, or are in a Vulture or similar larger ship capable of putting up a good fight against larger NPCs, you can hit the Hazardous RES locations. The big difference between Hazardous and the rest of the RES locations is that Hazardous has no police presence so you will be on your own if engaged by pirates. Outside of that, the spawns and wings are larger. I've seen wings comprised of 4 Federal Assault Ships and 1 Python. They are not to be hosed with on your own.

• Pirates will engage you if you have cargo, any cargo, in your cargo hold.

• If you are still learning the game make sure that you have "REPORT CRIMES AGAINST ME" turned on. It's defaulted to on but some people turn it off. This way if a pirate attacks you the NPC police will begin making their way over to defend you.

• Use the NPC police wherever possible to tackle larger ships/any ships. They will actively scan and engage targets separate from your own. Follow them around if you must for as long as you score some shots on whatever it is they're attacking you will receive the bounty voucher for it.

• Pirates will always approach and attempt to scan you, initiating dialog at the same time that's along the lines of, "What are you carrying?" NPC Mining ships and NPC Bounty Hunters will not approach you. This is also an easy way to figure out who's a pirate, especially in anarchy systems. (Don't RES hunt in an Anarchy system)

• Pay attention to your ship. Watch your ammo, your SCB charge count, your heat and your hull. This should go without saying.

It's a pretty basic way to do things and RES hunting is more than capable of lining your pockets with credits. It's also a decent way to build your combat rank for those early levels. If you can get to Xihe, it's near a newbie system and has plenty of missions plus just about everything you'll need to fit a ship out in it's lone coriolis station. Xihe is also where a lot of goons do their RES hunting and very close to the PGS thread's home base. That way if you ever need help, it's not far away. Xihe is Hudson/Federal space though so if you're a PP player, be wary of the interdictions that will come from PP NPCs.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Libluini posted:

If you want nice targets, it's always helpful to trawl Wikipedia for things you want to look at. Just test the names in the galactic map to see if they are part of what Frontier has put into the map and if you're lucky: Presto, new interesting target which is hopefully obscure enough no-one was there yet.

I'm an astronomer and I rapidly found out that basically every possible interesting target I could think of- planetary nebulae, HII emission regions, reflection nebulae, star clusters, etc., regardless of obscurity, has been explored already. Even REALLY obscure ones.

Or, at the very least, all the ones that we know about and are actually put into the game.

I also found that a lot of nebulae, particularly planetary nebulae, are weirdly displaced in distance- for example, the central star of the Ring Nebula is several hundred LY away from the actual nebula itself ingame, even though in real life it's located right within it. Same goes for Eta Carinae, the Bubble Nebula, etc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I didn't even realize that you could check the ring types from the system map :downs:.

Fantastic guide! Only last thing I'd add is I've seen some pretty beefy ships in normal Resource Extraction Sites (recently: a Fer-De-Lance in a wing with two Sidewinders, a lone Anaconda, and a wing of 3 Cobras IIIs that hosed up the feds even as their reinforcements started trickling in). It's still fairly safe and 3-4 feds backing you up will be more than enough (unless you get a situation like with the three Cobras that just killed the cops too fast for them to matter), but just avoid firing the first shot in these cases because they can destroy you if you let them focus fire on you.

Also a good side benefit of bounty hunting; building reputation with the system you're bounty hunting in. I got up to friendly with some confederation guys pretty quickly for basically stealing credit from their kills. It's a minor faction that has no shipyards as far as I can tell but it's still nice to have good relation if you want to start doing higher end missions for them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just got almost curb stomped by a wing of two Gunships and a Python. I don't know all the ships at all so not sure whether I should've even tried to take any of them, but that was the first wing I've seen that started to wipe out the cops and friendly NPCs. The mass of us only managed to take out one Gunship before friendlies started to die and I started to spool up to run away. They knocked my Viper mk IV down to 15% hull before I managed to SC out of there. It was fun :)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well I figured out I could jump into a nav beacon and "help" the police with people who are wanted so I've been doing that. Once I get a fuel scoop and a better jump drive I'll look into the RES business.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
$5 is kind of pricy for a bobble head, but I'd drop $10 right now for a cardboard cut out of not-Chewbacca for the copilot seat of my cobra3.

Fitted my cobra 3 with 4 gimbled pulse lasers. Just point my ship at anything competent or lower and watch it melt. Didn't help against three NPCs that thwarted my rescue attempt by shooting purple poo poo at me and somehow disabling my FSD. Next I'm going to try putting two Gatling guns on the secondary fire instead and see if that kills dudes faster. Also are shield boosters worth it or are they mostly useless?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The good thing about bounty hunting is that you always have the option to not engage. In a normal RES with an Eagle and see an Anaconda? Just leave it alone and as long as nothing is in your hold they'll leave you alone. The only way you can really get into trouble is by shooting at wings without checking to make sure you can take the entire wing.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Hellburger99 posted:

$5 is kind of pricy for a bobble head, but I'd drop $10 right now for a cardboard cut out of not-Chewbacca for the copilot seat of my cobra3.

Fitted my cobra 3 with 4 gimbled pulse lasers. Just point my ship at anything competent or lower and watch it melt. Didn't help against three NPCs that thwarted my rescue attempt by shooting purple poo poo at me and somehow disabling my FSD. Next I'm going to try putting two Gatling guns on the secondary fire instead and see if that kills dudes faster. Also are shield boosters worth it or are they mostly useless?

I would put two pulse lasers in the small hard points and two multicannons in the medium points. Use the lasers to knock down shields (And since there are only two you can almost continually fire them) and then the multicannons to chew up the hull. Multis always do more hull damage than lasers when dealing with NPCs.

RVProfootballer posted:

Just got almost curb stomped by a wing of two Gunships and a Python. I don't know all the ships at all so not sure whether I should've even tried to take any of them, but that was the first wing I've seen that started to wipe out the cops and friendly NPCs. The mass of us only managed to take out one Gunship before friendlies started to die and I started to spool up to run away. They knocked my Viper mk IV down to 15% hull before I managed to SC out of there. It was fun :)

As Fork mentioned. Pirates won't actively pursue you unless you have cargo in your hold or you've fired first so you're free to get up next to and inspect your potential target prior to engaging it. If it's bigger than you.. let the cops start shooting it first.

DrProsek posted:

I didn't even realize that you could check the ring types from the system map :downs:.

Fantastic guide! Only last thing I'd add is I've seen some pretty beefy ships in normal Resource Extraction Sites (recently: a Fer-De-Lance in a wing with two Sidewinders, a lone Anaconda, and a wing of 3 Cobras IIIs that hosed up the feds even as their reinforcements started trickling in). It's still fairly safe and 3-4 feds backing you up will be more than enough (unless you get a situation like with the three Cobras that just killed the cops too fast for them to matter), but just avoid firing the first shot in these cases because they can destroy you if you let them focus fire on you.

Also a good side benefit of bounty hunting; building reputation with the system you're bounty hunting in. I got up to friendly with some confederation guys pretty quickly for basically stealing credit from their kills. It's a minor faction that has no shipyards as far as I can tell but it's still nice to have good relation if you want to start doing higher end missions for them.

Ah, yeah, I completely forgot about rep. I got my first 4 Imperial ranks through RES hunting and becoming allied with the local factions.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Luneshot posted:

I also found that a lot of nebulae, particularly planetary nebulae, are weirdly displaced in distance- for example, the central star of the Ring Nebula is several hundred LY away from the actual nebula itself ingame, even though in real life it's located right within it. Same goes for Eta Carinae, the Bubble Nebula, etc.

Anyone know why this is? It actually bothers me a lot more than it should :spergin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

I'm an astronomer and I rapidly found out that basically every possible interesting target I could think of- planetary nebulae, HII emission regions, reflection nebulae, star clusters, etc., regardless of obscurity, has been explored already. Even REALLY obscure ones.

Or, at the very least, all the ones that we know about and are actually put into the game.

Man this bodes ill for my own secret list of exploration targets. Still, some of my targets are up to 11k ly away from the bubble, I guess as long as I keep away from the most likely routes I'll still be able to glue my name on many things.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Strategic Tea posted:

Anyone know why this is? It actually bothers me a lot more than it should :spergin:

Probably different distance estimates from different sources, maybe? Either way, it bothers me a ridiculous amount. I did find it interesting that they included targets that are literally impossible to get to ingame- NGC 40, for example, is too far away from the galactic plane to have any neighboring stars within even a boosted jump range.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

Probably different distance estimates from different sources, maybe? Either way, it bothers me a ridiculous amount.

Do you know what bothers me? Because the galactic map of Elite is basically just the disc and nothing else, not a single one of our globular clusters, even the really close ones, are implemented. Together with the (presumably) missing Halo and the missing hydrogen bridge to our galactic neighbours, this irks me to no end.

• Locked thread