Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

xthetenth posted:

They're both great weapons for a flank watcher. The brace of pistols have a lot of ammo so you can just pull them to pick off a rat at range before it hits a friend, and the rapier is very quick for doing similar things during a wave.
And if they ever get around to fixing the rapier's pistol attack not scaling with gear quality, he'll be even better at it. I love just tossing off a headshot with that thing right before a rat is going to stab a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Finally got an orange 2h hammer to play with on Bardin. I hadn't had one of any color before and had been using Axe/Shield for a long while. Not sure how I feel about it. I dig the basic strike for one-shotting clan rats and coming down vertically. The charged swings control a ton of space but they're so slow it feels like you need to be able to rely on your team to not be complete dunderheads. Doubly so since you don't have the extra block available for picking up said dunderheads. More and more I feel like I'm splitting characters into separate loadouts based on how much I can trust the team around me.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Finally got an orange 2h hammer to play with on Bardin. I hadn't had one of any color before and had been using Axe/Shield for a long while. Not sure how I feel about it. I dig the basic strike for one-shotting clan rats and coming down vertically. The charged swings control a ton of space but they're so slow it feels like you need to be able to rely on your team to not be complete dunderheads. Doubly so since you don't have the extra block available for picking up said dunderheads. More and more I feel like I'm splitting characters into separate loadouts based on how much I can trust the team around me.

the trick is to mousedrag and spin around like a deadly ballerina, and only charge the bare minimum

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh I know about that stuff. I've got my nightmare clears and a few catas. But the charge time is a far cry from the rapid-fire shield pops I love to death with Kruber.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Oh, well maybe two handers just aren't your bag then. Obviously none of them are gonna be as fast as poppin rats in the face with your shield, their big draw is just bashing up a whole bunch of rats in one swing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I can't use any of the two-handers because I'm bad but I really hate weapons where if I mistime a swing every rat in the zip code has a free shot at stabbing my face.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah 2Hs aren't for everyone

I love em because I love cleaving half a dozen rats at a time more than I hate the long opening after I swing, but that's me

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I like two handers because when I got my first two handed axe I didn't have to open doors anymore.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Charge sword behind defensive line, step forward, release, dodge back. Works pretty good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lyrax posted:

I like two handers because when I got my first two handed axe I didn't have to open doors anymore.

Yeah, with four people all trying to open the same door at once I've since decided that the way to go is to just break down every door we come across.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Man, Vermintide's over here making me look like an rear end in a top hat. I get jumped by an assassin while holding the grim, go down, and the rest of the team doesn't get to me in time, so I die. The game crashes 2 seconds later. I was hosting.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

To be honest, I love playing as her and getting fully in character. Calling your teammates 'lumberfoots' dismissively is so cathartic.

I prefer "mayflies"

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Just played horn of magnus on Nightmare and the game spawned a loving STORMVERMIN SQUAD during the top of the tower event. Things were going fine until we heard the audio clip when you aggro a squad played and a blob of them ran out of the wall on the stairs. Immediately jobbed our elf and wizard. The soldier and I managed to kill all of them but then we got wrecked by a gunner/gasrat combo that spawned way in the back.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2016

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I prefer "mayflies"

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 1, 2016

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Needs more rats and a layer of gas or two.

Still fantastic

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Looks pretty good, Krubers got an arrow in his back and is just stoically bearing it.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Nechronic posted:

Needs more rats and a layer of gas or two.

Still fantastic

There's a Part Two that I can barely parse. I found these on the official Steam Community, but that was about the only thing I didn't :nms::siren:regret seeing in there.:siren::nms: I'm glad that there is a universal understanding that Kerillian is a tosser and elf players are too by extension. I find her incredibly fun and the most relaxed to play, but that my only incentives are even killier bows than her already preposterous trueflight (I only have blue) and a series of hideous Lucha Libre masks basically guarantees that my Vermindiet™ is four parts Kruber to every one part Sienna.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Just started playing and am lvl ten and I spent like two hours trying to pass wizard tower on normal with pubbies. What the gently caress. Last game we were almost there with our last surviving ward when the map spawned a globadeer above the wall where we couldn't get at him and then we got swarmed by a million rats including stormvermin. The two games before we got wiped by an unavoidable stormvermin partols.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Today's been a weird day in Vermintide. It's like they doubled the spawn rate for specials or something. We ran into a really similar situation in Wizard's Tower on Nightmare. The game just threw an unbelievable number of rats at us. Nearly all the other matches I played today went similarly badly, with specials relentlessly spawning in duplicate or triplicate. I don't normally see four packmasters in under a minute.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Avenging Dentist posted:

Today's been a weird day in Vermintide. It's like they doubled the spawn rate for specials or something. We ran into a really similar situation in Wizard's Tower on Nightmare. The game just threw an unbelievable number of rats at us. Nearly all the other matches I played today went similarly badly, with specials relentlessly spawning in duplicate or triplicate. I don't normally see four packmasters in under a minute.

Yeah, I noticed something similar when I was playing earlier, we kept seeing gutter-runner after gutter-runner after gutter-runner, just one would spawn right after the other, and the other specials seemed to be spawning with heightened regularity as well. I wrote it off as just a consequence of playing on higher difficulties but I dunno.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Syrnn posted:

There's a Part Two that I can barely parse. I found these on the official Steam Community, but that was about the only thing I didn't :nms::siren:regret seeing in there.:siren::nms: I'm glad that there is a universal understanding that Kerillian is a tosser and elf players are too by extension. I find her incredibly fun and the most relaxed to play, but that my only incentives are even killier bows than her already preposterous trueflight (I only have blue) and a series of hideous Lucha Libre masks basically guarantees that my Vermindiet™ is four parts Kruber to every one part Sienna.

Lol people are hosed up

Both for the weird fetish drawing and the fact you like the Elf.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Lol people are hosed up

Both for the weird fetish drawing and the fact you like the Elf.

I'm totally doubling down on the elf thing and am scrapping all my other gear. Elf4lyfe lumbahfats!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

I'm totally doubling down on the elf thing and am scrapping all my other gear. Elf4lyfe lumbahfats!

"This is how you get the best bow"

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Trip report - played this a few times over the weekend - pubbies are definitely getting better. The game has been out long enough that the people who play for a few hours and move on are mostly gone, and the game is now in a sweet spot where the people who are left are generally speaking competent. I played three Nightmare runs with a full group of pubbies, and we completed all three without much stupidity and with no arguing. (I mean, people got hooked, knocked down, etc., but that just the game - no one decided to be a solo warrior and run off somewhere random, etc.)

So I give it another month before this turns over into the game being played only by bitter rear end in a top hat type people who have made it their lifestyle choice, such that you cannot join a public game without being yelled at for every small thing you do "wrong."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

Trip report - played this a few times over the weekend - pubbies are definitely getting better. The game has been out long enough that the people who play for a few hours and move on are mostly gone, and the game is now in a sweet spot where the people who are left are generally speaking competent. I played three Nightmare runs with a full group of pubbies, and we completed all three without much stupidity and with no arguing. (I mean, people got hooked, knocked down, etc., but that just the game - no one decided to be a solo warrior and run off somewhere random, etc.)

So I give it another month before this turns over into the game being played only by bitter rear end in a top hat type people who have made it their lifestyle choice, such that you cannot join a public game without being yelled at for every small thing you do "wrong."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

After over 100 hours with roughly half spent in public games, I've run into a group like this maybe 1 time, and I'm just saying 1 to be safe because I don't actually remember ever running into a group like that.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I did have a really dumb game once in Hard where one dude accidentally dropped the grim, and the host got into this long-rear end rant about how you need to be serious cuz it's like... Hard, man, and noobs should go back to Normal. I was only even playing Hard at the time because there were no Nightmare games running at the time and I didn't want to wait around for a group. Hard is pretty relaxed overall, and I don't really see the point in worrying about whether or not you get a Perfect Run.

Other than that, people have been pretty nice, aside from getting a little snippy when someone grenades the entire team.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
I try to be very encouraging to pubs rather than the easy misanthropic path, but there's limits. When the level 12 (actually 6, I guess) elf medpacked himself at 45 hp while I was white from Roger, then proceeded to argue that it clearly was the right move, it was time to nope out.

I think the player base will stay inviting, it's only NM and Cataclysm that require spergy planning and trinket abuse.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

SlyFrog posted:

So far the only people I've seen do this yet are goons

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I get yelled at sometimes for "wasting" my bomb but that's about it. I like to lob one to clear a horde that is pressing in a little too tight and apparently it is a sin to use it on anything other than Roger or a patrol.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I find myself hesitating to use them on hordes just because it's much harder to predict where my teammates will be and I don't want to bomb them

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I think they've started adding stormvermin to horde ambushes. Also some globadiers have started going berserk and rapid fire their bombs when someone gets too close.

Also a stormvermin squad now spawns in the Magnus inn on Nightmare and they ALWAYS get stuck on a doorway so you can't proceed without fighting them.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 2, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's random but yeah that happens occasionally. My favorite is when the Ogre never spawns on Nightmare.

Because gently caress you for trying to prepare for it.

Also they just patched the game and apparently fixed the bug with shield power attacks not connecting when you've got a speed up effect. Definitely eager to try them out again with Swift Slaying :getin:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also they apparently fixed the sounds! :buddy:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ZobarStyl posted:

I try to be very encouraging to pubs rather than the easy misanthropic path, but there's limits. When the level 12 (actually 6, I guess) elf medpacked himself at 45 hp while I was white from Roger, then proceeded to argue that it clearly was the right move, it was time to nope out.

I think the player base will stay inviting, it's only NM and Cataclysm that require spergy planning and trinket abuse.

Even Nightmare you can pretty much fart your way through do long as people have half decent gear and know what they're doing. Self heal goes a long way toward forgiving all but the truly boneheaded mistakes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i need to play with goons so i can show them the power of the Worst Weapon in the Game

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I have three questions before I grab this:

How satisfying is the melee combat? Like how meaty are the hits of the bigger weapons.
How would you rate the last stand mode? As someone who has way too many hours into the dawn of war 2 one.
How's the goon community in this(especially EU), because gently caress pubbies.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nalesh posted:

I have three questions before I grab this:

How satisfying is the melee combat? Like how meaty are the hits of the bigger weapons.
How would you rate the last stand mode? As someone who has way too many hours into the dawn of war 2 one.
How's the goon community in this(especially EU), because gently caress pubbies.

Melee is very satisfying, one of the best first person melee systems ever.

Last stand mode sounds great! It's not out yet, so no one actually know what it will be like.

Goon community is a little sparse at the moment, most of us got pulled into playing other games, but will probably come back when the DLC comes out.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Oh one last question, are the special edition things cosmetic? If not, is it worth grabbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nalesh posted:

Oh one last question, are the special edition things cosmetic? If not, is it worth grabbing?

They're just cosmetic. You can also upgrade to the special edition via their website if you feel like it later on.

• Locked thread