Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of TL notes on the screen, TVN has completely subbed TimeRanger, so that's another sentai show finally fully subbed!
What a totally random, uncoincidental event that another much better sub group did most of the heavy lifting recently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RealFoxy posted:

What a totally random, uncoincidental event that another much better sub group did most of the heavy lifting recently!

Haha

But also who? Did I miss another group subbing Timeranger?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha

But also who? Did I miss another group subbing Timeranger?
Over-time made it to 30 something, and it's not like TV-N has never made up subs before

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of TL notes on the screen, TVN has completely subbed TimeRanger, so that's another sentai show finally fully subbed!

Tvn doesn't count goddammit we keep going over this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Shout Factory is all the way up to MegaRanger already. The only things between them and TimeRanger are Gingaman and GoGoFive. At OT's current translation rate, SF may just get there first.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

Shout Factory is all the way up to MegaRanger already. The only things between them and TimeRanger are Gingaman and GoGoFive. At OT's current translation rate, SF may just get there first.

and we'll probably be getting gingaman next spring ish so figure a year and half from now we get timeranger

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And OT last completed an episode eight months ago.

Honestly, at this point, they probably figure it's not worth the effort if they're gonna have to take it down in a year anyways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ArmorRiderKalus/status/894735563949051905

I just wrapped the penultimate episode of Ginga and.... yep. Yawnfest. :sigh:

How does it make a five-way fight between a kaiju, a robot, and three Ultramen boring

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OT never subbed them and TVN is poo poo at announcing/labeling their releases so I finally watched Zyuohger VS Ninninger, Zyuohger Returns, and the end of Super Doubutsu Taisen.

Returns and Taisen are both fantastic, I really did love the Zyuohgers and there are great comedy moments and cute moments in both.

The Zyuohgers are also good in VS, but the Ninningers (Star and Kasumi and maybe Fuuka aside) are so bad it drags it down. Plus it establishes a canon that Takaharu Has hosed, and that is a future I cannot believe in.

EDIT: Being forced to watch all of this on TVN however has reinforced how poo poo they are. Japanese is contextual as hell you bastards, translate AND localize so you don't end up with awkward moments like a child looking at his father and saying "You're hot, dad."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, clearly that little boy wants to gently caress his father.

TV-N will not censor glorious nippon's message through superior translation and actual context.

Just like UltraSeven X has SOUNDNOISE coming from TVs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ultraman Ginga was terrible to the end. Bad writing, bad fights, non-existent characters. The highlights: Ginga and Dark Lugiel have radical designs, Taro was hilarious and charming (I want to see his show now) and because the show made TsuPro money they've gone on to make actually good shows like Geed.

Also the toyline is incredible and I'm going to own a bunch of adorable spark dolls as soon as they arrive!

I hear Ginga S is better - almost good? - so I'll enjoy it soon, too!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ultraman Ginga was terrible to the end. Bad writing, bad fights, non-existent characters. The highlights: Ginga and Dark Lugiel have radical designs, Taro was hilarious and charming (I want to see his show now) and because the show made TsuPro money they've gone on to make actually good shows like Geed.

Also the toyline is incredible and I'm going to own a bunch of adorable spark dolls as soon as they arrive!

I hear Ginga S is better - almost good? - so I'll enjoy it soon, too!

Ultraman Taro the series was kind of boring to be honest (though I did like how it ended) and is probably the second longest Ultra series besides Cosmos. I've seen worse toku though so if you can stomach a series that is almost 90% filler go ahead and check it out.

Ginga S is better than it's predecessor but it has problems of it's own (including possibly the worst team I've seen in an Ultraman series). As I said before, the show probably would have been better if they dropped Ginga entirely and made it about Victory instead. But your mileage may vary.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ultraman Taro the series was kind of boring to be honest (though I did like how it ended) and is probably the second longest Ultra series besides Cosmos. I've seen worse toku though so if you can stomach a series that is almost 90% filler go ahead and check it out.

Ginga S is better than it's predecessor but it has problems of it's own (including possibly the worst team I've seen in an Ultraman series). As I said before, the show probably would have been better if they dropped Ginga entirely and made it about Victory instead. But your mileage may vary.

90% filler? The same could be said of UltraSeven! :v:

Which is to say I'm down for Taro (and Cosmos) and I have the fast forward button ready for if I get bored. I wanna do more Return of Ultraman first though!

Also, re: Victory: excellent. I started Ginga so I could see him in action. (I love his design!)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with Taro is two fold.

It's aimed at a much younger audience than the previous series were, though not quite to Cosmos levels, which hampers the kind of stories they could do and made things a lot more whimsical and 70s Kids Show-y. Which if you can dig that that's fine

The other problem is that was smack dab in the oil crisis for Japan, of which Japan hasn't ever fully recovered from for one reason or another. So poo poo was SUPER cheap and looked awful.

By the end of the series Taro's suit was falling apart and his head horns kept having to be put back on in between shots. It did not help that they had to run the series to be longer than they wanted because of technical issues with Ultraman Leo.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kiriya's reaction at the end transcends perfection, it's so pure.

Also that suit actor video is crazy. I can't imagine how much practice has to go into the more complicated fights.

I hope you mean the part they didn't show in that gif where he gives the most sarcastic salute ever before lowering his chair because that may have been the funniest moment in the series.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

Honestly, at this point, they probably figure it's not worth the effort if they're gonna have to take it down in a year anyways.

Speaking as someone who doesn't buy this stuff and has no intention to, I can tell you that because torrent magnet IDs exist, nothing ever is truly "taken down" anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 8, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Speaking as someone who doesn't buy this stuff and has no intention to, I can tell you that because torrent magnet IDs exist, nothing ever is truly "taken down" anyway.

You should support official releases, friend.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

gently caress off if you don't support the shout releases

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

so you don't end up with awkward moments like a child looking at his father and saying "You're hot, dad."

i demand you screenshot and contextualize this :zenpop:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

jivjov posted:

You should support official releases, friend.

I don't want physical media in my life anymore, so what I'd likely end up doing is buying used and ripping it to my Plex server. And SF sees nothing from that.

For whatever it's worth, I think it's cool of them to stream some of the seasons online.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

I don't want physical media in my life anymore, so what I'd likely end up doing is buying used and ripping it to my Plex server. And SF sees nothing from that.

For whatever it's worth, I think it's cool of them to stream some of the seasons online.

Perhaps you could...I dunno...buy it from Shout and rip it to your Plex server!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anyhoo, my understanding is that OT's position on Timeranger is a disinterested shrug. Understanding that there's probably dozens of people on this forum who don't support official releases every day, I simply offered a personal corroboration for a fact that it wouldn't be 'gone' in a year, but he's right in that it would be effectively forgotten.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

You're what's wrong with nerds

Just buy the DVDs from shout, rip them, and put them in a box somewhere. Or on a shelf. gently caress knows I haven't used the physical discs except for when we were waiting to get internet service set up so I day drank and watched carranger

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Anyhoo, my understanding is that OT's position on Timeranger is a disinterested shrug. Understanding that there's probably dozens of people on this forum who don't support official releases every day, I simply offered a personal corroboration for a fact that it wouldn't be 'gone' in a year, but he's right in that it would be effectively forgotten.

I doubt their position is "disinterest" given that they've actively taken in on as a subbing project. If they weren't interested, why would they sub it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

The forums position is always to support official releases if only so we continue to get them

Also your personal corroboration is that no you can totally steal officially licensed and legally available poo poo, gently caress off

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

I doubt their position is "disinterest" given that they've actively taken in on as a subbing project. If they weren't interested, why would they sub it?

It's low priority for them. Like slightly higher than Deka which were also only a couple years away from officially

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys a company is finally showing love to your niche of a niche hobby but you can totes just NOT ENCOURAGE THEM TO KEEP GOING SO WE CAN GET SUBS FOR THINGS THAT DONT HAVE TJEM YET

Like you understand that them doing more seasons or theoretically doing pre-Zyu series is contingent on sales being good right

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's low priority for them. Like slightly higher than Deka which were also only a couple years away from officially

Sure, I don't think anyone would argue it's not low priority.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like you understand that them doing more seasons or theoretically doing pre-Zyu series is contingent on sales being good right

This is the rub, isn't it. I'd totally buy Timeranger or Hurricanger or Gekiranger since I actually really like those. :negative:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

This is the rub, isn't it. I'd totally buy Timeranger or Hurricanger or Gekiranger since I actually really like those. :negative:

Perhaps you should buy Gingaman and GoGoV then

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that after Timeranger in order is Gao, Hurricane, Aba, and Deka

I'm excited for three of those four shows like you wouldn't believe

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
maybe SF should stop subbing sentai...

(but only if they do old rider instead)

(i don't actually want them to stop this is a joke)

(but also them doing old rider too would own)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In today's installment of Mighty Minimalist Power Rangers, benchpressing or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2vtfK-uEko

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
These are dumb and good, keep it up

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

i demand you screenshot and contextualize this :zenpop:

I'm too lazy to open the file and find the moment for a screenshot, so I hope a phone camera picture will suffice for now. Plus, the higher quality the picture, the closer you are to accidentally watching Ninninger, so in a way this is for our community's safety.

Takaharu has two catchphrases, "I'm getting fired up" and "This is hot." So that's the only context here, Takaharu said he and Yamato are gonna save everyone, so Future Kid uses his dad's catchphrase. "Tou-chan, atsui ze." Which, yeah, literally means "You're hot, Dad," but there had to be a better way to word that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's a feature of TVN. You're supposed to learn Japanese "hot" idioms and apply them to "hot" in English. It's unclear who this helps learn anything.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Stallion Cabana posted:

I hope you mean the part they didn't show in that gif where he gives the most sarcastic salute ever before lowering his chair because that may have been the funniest moment in the series.

I thought I was the only person who caught that! I literally laughed out loud when it happpened.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

On the other hand, it shows that TVN has gotten at least slightly better because I'm pretty sure that a few years ago that would've been kept entirely as "atsui ze" because it was too Japanese to translate and we'd lose the purity of the series or something stupid like that.

You know, uchuu kita.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Craptacular! posted:

Anyhoo, my understanding is that OT's position on Timeranger is a disinterested shrug.

You're basing this on what, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AzraelNewtype posted:

You're basing this on what, exactly?

Him being dumb

• Locked thread