Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus, I am currently right this instance interviewing a guy, and he keeps complaining about upper management at his old jobs.

Jesus, that guy was awful. How do you politely end an interview call that says "Thanks but no thanks?"

you never do anything that makes a candidate feel like you're already done with them. even if they were the worst person you've ever met, they may say something that causes your next best hire to go somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol. Never poo poo talk your old management even if they did suck. This is like rule 1.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

qhat posted:

Lol. Never poo poo talk your old management even if they did suck. This is like rule 1.

Hey, free therapy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"my career goals and the company's overall strategy weren't aligned"
"I didn't feel like I was able to accomplish my best work"
"there weren't clear opportunities for skill growth"

are all p good ways to say "these guys sucked" and everyone will understand

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

"my career goals and the company's overall strategy weren't aligned"
"I didn't feel like I was able to accomplish my best work"
"there weren't clear opportunities for skill growth"

are all p good ways to say "these guys sucked" and everyone will understand

All of those things will definitely be immediately followed up on and if you can't give details about something then it's bs as far as I'm concerned. No opportunities, then you must've tried to switch roles right? Company's goals not aligned with yours, why not, what does that even mean? If you really do have to poo poo talk then give a solid account and stay focused on what you did personally to solve the problem before leaving.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well yeah, you shouldn't say anything in an interview you can't explain, but if you say "they were awful" you'll get a follow-up as well but you'll be instantly branded as a complainer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
look, we all know you're leaving because either you hate your job or you want more money. we're going to pretend like you're doing it because you're excited about new opportunities, so do your part to maintain that illusion.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one of the most important aspects about any candidate for a computer touching position is the ability to lie, both to yourself and to the world at large about what you do

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anime

motherfucking

dogtits

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Stymie posted:

one of the most important aspects about any candidate for a job is the ability to lie, both to yourself and to the world at large about what you do

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I highly recommend lying to employers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it's not lying it's marketing

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incorrect

if you have good job where you do honest work you never need to lie

your employer will know if you can do the work, and you never have to deceive yourself that what you do has value

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Stymie posted:

incorrect

your employer will know if you can do the work, and you never have to deceive yourself that what you do has value

:jerkbag:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Stymie posted:

incorrect

Wish you worked in a posting factory so your boss would know you couldn't handle the job

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ADINSX posted:

Wish you worked in a posting factory so your boss would know you couldn't handle the job

lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
but seriously, whole lotta stymie quoting going on

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dislike button posted:

but seriously, whole lotta stymie quoting going on

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Waiting to hear back on a counter offer for my first FTE position ever is painful. Two a half years of on and off just job searching could finally come to an end with a single email.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

huhu posted:

Waiting to hear back on a counter offer for my first FTE position ever is painful. Two a half years of on and off just job searching could finally come to an end with a single email.

hope you get some figgies soon friend

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

hope you get some figgies soon friend

is this a name change? im guessing mishaq

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dislike button posted:

guilty!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i'm gonna get the figgies guys

as soon as they check my references and make sure i wasn't lying too much on my resume

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

g*d bless

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dislike button posted:

yah i remember mishaq's regdate was close to mine

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Luigi Thirty posted:

heckin sweet

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Luigi Thirty posted:

congrats!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

as soon as they check my references and make sure i wasn't lying too much on my resume

gently caress yeah :toot: grats dude, you deserve it!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

got a bunch of technicals organised this week, but i might have a dece offer in a few days so it might not matter

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

qhat posted:

Company's goals not aligned with yours, why not, what does that even mean? I

when i was doing the interview circuit that led to currentjob, that's about what i said about lastjob, how they did a pivot to a new product/business model that i was no longer interested in

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
"the startup ran out of money" is always an acceptable excuse here in the silly con valley

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

"the startup ran out of money" is always an acceptable excuse here in the silly con valley

I've used that a couple of times and they were both true. I'm partial to "I want to explore new opportunities and see how I can apply my experience in new areas". this was my way of making people who were painfully aware that they are not doing things at the level apple is that I will still consider working for them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i just wanted to appley mmy experience

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yay!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

congratulations!

the graybeards are probably already starting their "one of us, one of us" chant

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

hell yeah. join me in the newly-figgies club. it is nice over here :toot:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
luigi figgy :patriot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’m gonna upgrade from an Amiga 2000 to an Amiga 3000 baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy