Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I would the interested in bringing my laptop through US Customs now anyway, and I think if it was a work trip I would be asked not to bring my work laptop. As a non-US citizen, you don't really have the option of refusing to give up your passwords. Similarly, I'll be cleaning my phone messages and setting up fake social media accounts

As a note, it's a good practice to maintain fake social media accounts anyway, given how it makes employers feel better to be able to look you up rather than having a void where they think your profile should be. I have a professional Facebook account that's hooked up to a twitter account so I just have to tweet and it updates both places. You only have to update it like every other week and is a good place to stick acquaintances like colleagues and distant relatives.

It's easier than you think since you don't need to read anyone else's poo poo on your dupe and you can mine your updates from your real account for what to post. Repost dumb benign poo poo you've already posted. You could probably even semi-automate it.

E: should also note the Facebook apps now make switching accounts very easy when it used to be a pain, so there's no real reason to not have a squeaky clean duplicate Facebook.

EE: also to address "why not just use privacy settings on your main one," the point of the dupe is to look clean even if logged into with your own password. Obviously remove your real account from the apps before traveling.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody is owed your vote. people get tired of having to choose the lesser of two evils.

we have a literal rapist in office but her emails

bravo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Spacebump posted:

It's better than dying because a terrorist brought on what passed for a laptop.

are chromebooks that dangerous?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody is owed your vote. people get tired of having to choose the lesser of two evils.

It's almost like you can only have two choices with the final round of a first past the post voting system.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Paradoxish posted:

And the problem is with how you want to define "could vote." The electoral college system itself functions as a form of voter suppression at this point, but even ignoring that you still have issues such as the election being held on a workday, voting places in many locations being inconvenient or busy, voter ID laws, and any number of other problems that might keep someone who is physically able to vote from actually voting. Apathy isn't some nebulous force that exists independent of all other factors, it's just the final straw that gets people to decide that voting isn't worth it.

But go ahead and continue to pretend that the unusually low turnout for US elections is because Americans are morally corrupt and not due to structural issues with our country. I'm sure that's going to be very productive.

Yup. All of these posters lecturing really should consider shutting the gently caress up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

stone cold posted:

all of those are factors in suppression dumbass

or again, since you can seem to read, dear

So do you want to quantify where suppression begins and apathy ends? Because until you do that it seems pretty unreasonable to suggest that most Americans contributed to Trump's victory, which is what PT6A is trying to argue here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Spacebump posted:

It's better than dying because a terrorist brought on what passed for a laptop.

Lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stone cold posted:

we have a literal rapist in office but her emails

bravo

it has nothing to do with "but her emails".

sean10mm posted:

If the US was a democracy, then the presidency and the House of Representatives would both be controlled by the Democratic Party since they had the most votes cast for them. Thanks to the EC, gerrymandering and voter suppression it's not, though.

also the house is like half the size it should be.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

skylined! posted:

is sunday the bad idea and bad topics of conversation day with little actual thoughtful input or what

It's the universal hangover day

here's some ducks everyone https://twitter.com/Awesome_planet_/status/863380873609175040

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Google Butt posted:

Yup. All of these posters lecturing really should considering shutting the gently caress up.

lmao

we are not describing those voters though

could you please give your tongue a break from licking your own genitals

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

stone cold posted:

lmao

we are not describing those voters though

You gonna copy and paste that "own" a few more times?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

So do you want to quantify where suppression begins and apathy ends? Because until you do that it seems pretty unreasonable to suggest that most Americans contributed to Trump's victory, which is what PT6A is trying to argue here.

i don't agree with that notion that pt6a puts forward necessarily because of the people who voted, most went hillary but there's a pretty clear difference between somebody who has no polling location near them who has to work and some white dude with dreads going gently caress the man and not voting

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Google Butt posted:

You gonna copy and paste that "own" a few more times?

you gonna stop?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

stone cold posted:

i don't agree with that notion that pt6a puts forward necessarily because of the people who voted, most went hillary but there's a pretty clear difference between somebody who has no polling location near them who has to work and some white dude with dreads going gently caress the man and not voting

What percentage of Americans fit that description you're describing at the end there

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Google Butt posted:

What percentage of Americans fit that description you're describing at the end there

what's the polling data like on people who didn't vote and why

e: and how many of them were "but her emails"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

stone cold posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stone cold posted:

i hate to break it to you but sanders wasn't super popular because people were thinking "but her emails".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Groovelord Neato posted:

You're correct. Nor are they owed absolution for being a piece of poo poo.

And anyone who was able to cast a vote that would prevent Donald Trump from taking office and did not is a mewling piece of poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

horse mans posted:

"Unreliable" is probably the most scathing epithet a German can lob at you.
A cute lady from Dusseldorf once described me to her boss (with me in the same office, no less) as "A cheerful, high-maintenance, pestering jerk-off that gets good results" or something like that. Listening to her say it in her sweet voice was a strangely delightful. :allears:

(I used to drink a lot of coffee back then, so I constantly pestered her for at least 2 four-cup pots of coffee every workday that whole week; she was the one who made the suggestion that I should switch to tea)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Google Butt posted:

lmao so you don't actually have an answer

have you considered: you're a piece of poo poo for not voting and you should personally feel culpable for trump esp. since you think not voting is the smart and logical choice

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For gently caress sake, let's not re-fight the loving primary again.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

stone cold posted:

I mean that's fine and we probably don't have any major disagreement here, but the posters that started this whole massive derail were literally arguing that most Americans (or the "average American") contributed to Trump's victory, which I don't think the data really supports at all. It's an extremely frustrating argument because it has the effect of papering over the hundred ways our democracy is just fundamentally broken at this point.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Google Butt posted:

That's pretty contextually unimportant, considering how loving insufferable they are.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate to break it to you but sanders wasn't super popular because people were thinking "but her emails".

how many people stayed home and didn't vote Clinton because her emails though dumbass

or are we pretending the comey thing a week before the election didn't happen now, dear

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The gop got more votes than the democrats in the House in 2016, for anyone thinking otherwise

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

I mean that's fine and we probably don't have any major disagreement here, but the posters that started this whole massive derail were literally arguing that most Americans (or the "average American") contributed to Trump's victory, which I don't think the data really supports at all. It's an extremely frustrating argument because it has the effect of papering over the hundred ways our democracy is just fundamentally broken at this point.

:agreed:

but I think it's also important to point out when people who have the ability to affect change don't and are pieces of poo poo because of it

like, you don't have to tell me how broken the system is, i vote in california

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Coincides quite nicely with a whole lot of airlines starting to spin up streaming in flight entertainment and eliminating costly and maintenance intensive built in stuff.

This is just the stupidest thing.

This seems like something that would have come up under President Clinton, too.

The guts of a modern laptop are a bunch of chemical pouches hooked up to a circuit board. It's apparently very difficult to tell the difference between a bomb and a lithium ion cell on an x-ray. There are people who really want to blow up airplanes full of Americans. It's not at all far fetched to think they realized that they could put bombs in laptops.

Trump's administration has been idiotic about handling some of the details, but on the whole this is probably better than the other plausible outcome: ignore it until it becomes an impulsive casus belli for a nuclear-armed manchild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stone cold posted:

how many people stayed home and didn't vote Clinton because her emails though dumbass

or are we pretending the comey thing a week before the election didn't happen now, dear

i love being talked down to people way dumber than me.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

I love when you don't actually respond to the point.

So is your whole gimmick pretending comey doesn't exist or

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

don't flatter yourself, stone cold could run circles around you

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You're a loving idiot. Those same children who lived through WW2 and the lovely postwar decades are the policymakers behind the modern functional democratic state with sane economic and social policy

*walls you up in a prison made of worthless franks*

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can you folks stop making GBS threads on each other for a moment? The lack of votes is an alarming problem, yes, but you have to understand that, as some goon already posted, constantly doing the whole "Lesser of Two Evils" dance gets tiresome. There's a ton of work that needs to be done; and not only in the US, mind you. Also, campaigns take a poo poo-load of time. Do you understand how draining it is to be "On the campaign trail" for over a year? How much is/was Hillary in the red due to her campaign costs?

Let's be civil here, dudes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

botany posted:

don't flatter yourself, stone cold could run circles around you

he isn't even that fast so i doubt it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Paradoxish posted:

It's an extremely frustrating argument because it has the effect of papering over the hundred ways our democracy is just fundamentally broken at this point.

This is the fundamental problem. Trump winning is just a symptom.

A symptom that might kill us all, but still. In a democracy he loses even when you accept how dumb much of the electorate is.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/868871768357863425

everyone knows how much the presidency tends to age the president but that usually does not extend to everyone else in the government

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Groovelord Neato posted:

People are getting far more tired of dealing with the worse of two evils

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

he isn't even that fast so i doubt it.

she, and you're that slow

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
it is actually i, poster skylined who is the smartest of us all

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's a wrestler that has a show about obstacle courses.

also lmao

skylined! posted:

it is actually , poster skylined who is the smartest of us all

i cannot disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Twibbit posted:

People are getting far more tired of dealing with the worse of two evils
It's always the lesser of two evils.

• Locked thread