Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Omi no Kami posted:

On one hand I'm disappointed he isn't going with the slice of life sequel to MoL he apparently considered at one point, but I'm relieved that he didn't end up doing the VRMMO or LitRPG... I really hope he has fun with it, but holy poo poo I'm not committing to another years-long epic from that dude.

When he talked about doing a slice of life sequel to MoL, he already said that wasn't what he going to do next.

I'm also really glad he didn't commit to doing another VRMMO or LitRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

tithin posted:

TWI Patreon Chapter is available to everyone now.
It's good.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bloodshard: Stolen Magic https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37035/bloodshard-stolen-magic is a pretty good fantasy murder mystery novel done as a web serial that's nearly wrapped up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Re:Trailer Trash just established that in the future, Worm becomes a blockbuster movie

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argue posted:

Re:Trailer Trash just established that in the future, Worm becomes a blockbuster movie

Thankfully, her interference has changed history, and now Worm will never be written.
(btw I'm so happy Re:Trailer Trash is back!)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“Gaaaaay,” Tenny trilled from her safe-distance spot, just over the threshold of the kitchen doorway.

:hmmyes:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Thankfully, her interference has changed history, and now Worm will never be written.
(btw I'm so happy Re:Trailer Trash is back!)

I just don’t “get” Re: Trailer Trash. It’s ok, I guess, but outside of the quantum leap into her own 14 year old life, it’s just...slice of life of a teenage girl?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“Gaaaaay,” Tenny trilled from her safe-distance spot, just over the threshold of the kitchen doorway.

:hmmyes:

I have received unironic requests for a Tenny plushie.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hungry posted:

I have received unironic requests for a Tenny plushie.

I don't blame whoever requested that, I'd certainly buy one if you sold merch.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

navyjack posted:

I just don’t “get” Re: Trailer Trash. It’s ok, I guess, but outside of the quantum leap into her own 14 year old life, it’s just...slice of life of a teenage girl?

Yes, and that's fine. Not every reincarnation story needs to be about defeating a villain or saving the Earth or whatever. It's just nice watching someone change their fate and improve their life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While it's great that they're taking a break, 2 months without PracGuide is gonna be rough. Looking forward to the next book, though; it'll be nice to see Black again, as well as get comeuppance against Malicia.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

navyjack posted:

honestly i just read it, having never heard of it before it was mentioned here, and i think it's really good but i wouldn't blame anyone for not getting it. it's a very specific nostalgia trip for people who grew up as poor midwestern 90s kids, and if any piece of that profile is missing i think a lot of it won't resonate quite as well. idk, nostalgia trip feels maybe overly positive - it just does a very good job of capturing the era in all its details, good, bad, and neutral

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 6, 2021

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I read it for a bit but dropped it when instead of clearing up the misunderstanding with her mom, she decided to become a movie star on too of everything else she had planned.

I've been reading Re:Monarch and finding it decent. The prologue chapter is a bit weird and the main antagonist is cartoonishly evil but the adventure has been fun.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

If you want Re:TT to be more epic just read the April Fools chapter from last year

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The fatphobia really prevented me from getting into re: Trailer Trash. Does that go anywhere or mean anything? Or does the author just hate fat people and have no understanding about weight loss/gain?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

I read it for a bit but dropped it when instead of clearing up the misunderstanding with her mom, she decided to become a movie star on too of everything else she had planned.

she's just humoring her mom to have an avenue for connecting to her, it doesn't become a core part of her character

Wittgen posted:

The fatphobia really prevented me from getting into re: Trailer Trash. Does that go anywhere or mean anything? Or does the author just hate fat people and have no understanding about weight loss/gain?

i mean, no, i don't think the author hates fat people. i think the author is portraying a person who was fat most of her life and internalized a lot of self-hatred about it, and an era that was genuinely very cruel about people's weight. the initial weight loss is by far the most indulgent part of the whole story in its speed and relative ease and honestly what i take from that is that the author really didn't want to write as many cruel comments from her peers as would have been needed for the loss to happen over a more realistic time frame

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 6, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I know a bunch of goons liked Void Herald's Vanquier series. I can take or leave his writing, but thought those of you who do like it would like to know he's working on a new series now: The Perfect Run.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Wittgen posted:

I don't know if the main character is supposed to be an author SI, but the part of the story I read certainly screamed "wish fulfillment story featuring a fictionalized version of the author". In that context, it's just the author wishing they'd lost weight as a kid so that they didn't have to go through what they did.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Plorkyeran posted:

I don't know if the main character is supposed to be an author SI, but the part of the story I read certainly screamed "wish fulfillment story featuring a fictionalized version of the author".

So, you know, like 99% of web serials.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Well, old Tabitha worked at a safety harness company, and guess where the author worked?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't think I'll ever let myself forget just how badly I misjudged the typical serial audience.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I don't think I'll ever let myself forget just how badly I misjudged the typical serial audience.

Is this about anything specific?

Your breakdown of Wildbow's problems both in text and outside of writing was pretty amusing to read. I don't follow any web serials so I've only seen Worm pop up as the one Big Deal English web serial when mentioned.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

Is this about anything specific?

Your breakdown of Wildbow's problems both in text and outside of writing was pretty amusing to read. I don't follow any web serials so I've only seen Worm pop up as the one Big Deal English web serial when mentioned.

Not really. It's just a combination of the comments from Peachfart and Wittgen, really. I'll put it this way: I told myself I was being a bit too on the nose when I had a character named Mark Fisher in a story where capitalism was more concerned with preserving the present social order than the slow-burning apocalypse - but I don't think a single reader understood the reference.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Worm and RoyalRoad started making so much more sense to me when I realized that the lion's share of the serial demographic consists in teenagers who don't read books for fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Worm and RoyalRoad started making so much more sense to me when I realized that the lion's share of the serial demographic consists in teenagers who don't read books for fun.

Uh... if they're not reading for fun, why are they reading RoyalRoad serials?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

LLSix posted:

That's the really weird thing. Milkfred or someone else who's dug deep into this could probably explain more coherently, but my understanding is that for a lot of the Worm/RRL superfans, Worm especially, it's not just some rando superhero story- it's often one of the first long-form works of fiction that they dove deep on. I believe that's also why a lot of people overlook just astonishingly gratuitous editing and grammar problems- it's not that they're overlooking it in favor of enjoying the story, it's that they straight-up don't have a particularly expansive corpus to compare it against.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Worm is the new and far more obscure Harry Potter.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

That is certainly not the impression I've gotten from the Katalepsis readers who either leave comments or hang out in the discord channel, but then again that's likely a self-selection process due to the tone and themes of the story.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

That is certainly not the impression I've gotten from the Katalepsis readers who either leave comments or hang out in the discord channel, but then again that's likely a self-selection process due to the tone and themes of the story.

Yeah... Katalepsis is one of those weirdo outlier stories where, like, yeah it's a serial, but it wouldn't take that much heavy lifting to edit it into a novel. It's also pretty decently wedged in between the two formats in terms of statistics- I used some web serials as sample corpuses when I was writing a bunch of NLP tools a while back, and Katalepsis consistently scores higher than serials but lower than novels on a lot of key indexes. Like, a ton of serials have a lexical diversity between 0.01 and 0.015, you want an adult novel to be at 0.07 or higher and Katalepsis is right at 0.029. Between that and its subject matter my uninformed guess is that you aren't going to have a lot of crossover between your readership and the RRL/Parahumans core populations. (Though I'd love to hear if I'm wrong- I know you're getting some positive feedback on RRL too, so maybe I'm being too pessimistic. :))

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Its the only real problem with fanfiction. Young people get hooked on it and don't develop any understanding of what makes writing better so their taste/expectations is extremely low.

See: all the people praising hpmor like some true art when its just sequences of smug intellectual being proved right and the original source material made to eat poo poo via long winded text breakdowns.

TvTropes also didnt help; as the idea of tropes created a audience who basically reduced everything to a meme.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hungry posted:

I'm glad your commenters are mostly nice. Your story rocks!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 6, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah... Katalepsis is one of those weirdo outlier stories where, like, yeah it's a serial, but it wouldn't take that much heavy lifting to edit it into a novel. It's also pretty decently wedged in between the two formats in terms of statistics- I used some web serials as sample corpuses when I was writing a bunch of NLP tools a while back, and Katalepsis consistently scores higher than serials but lower than novels on a lot of key indexes. Like, a ton of serials have a lexical diversity between 0.01 and 0.015, you want an adult novel to be at 0.07 or higher and Katalepsis is right at 0.029. Between that and its subject matter my uninformed guess is that you aren't going to have a lot of crossover between your readership and the RRL/Parahumans core populations. (Though I'd love to hear if I'm wrong- I know you're getting some positive feedback on RRL too, so maybe I'm being too pessimistic. :))

Please tell me there is a research paper I can go read during lunch or one of these terrible zoom meeting summary meetings I have to look forward to.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anias posted:

Please tell me there is a research paper I can go read during lunch or one of these terrible zoom meeting summary meetings I have to look forward to.

I haven't seen any papers on this, but I'd be happy to throw together some dashboards later this week if folks are interested! It's actually really neat to look under the hood. Like, okay, one of the first things I like to look at is lexical dispersion: how often do common names/words come up as the story goes on? If you generate one for pretty much any side character in Worm, they show up all the heck over the place:

In comparison, take a look at some of the more frequently-appearing side characters in Order of the Phoenix:

You'll notice that their appearances are much more condensed, and a lot more time passes between big clusters of appearances. I picked the fifth HP book for a reason, since that was the one where a team of stressed-out editors were breathing down Rowlings' neck after the disaster that was the fourth book, and I suspect the discrepancy points to a really useful editing trick that WB didn't have anyone to walk him through: I'm betting that Rowlings' editors went through an early manuscript, wrote down every time each character appeared, then heavily encouraged her to start combining character beats- if Luna shows up once in chapter three to do A and B, and once in chapters five and seven to set up a later subplot, just move all three appearances to chapter 3 and have her do a few hundred pages' worth of utility in one place.

I did my best to think of similar characters in Katalepsis but it was harder to do, since very few side characters survive their first appearance without either dying horribly or joining the main cast and becoming Heather's roommate. (A fate worse than death? Probably not, she and her friends seem cool.)

Edit: Oh yeah, and because data is pretty, here are some other random graphics I had laying around.

Mentions of Worm characters by civilian name and chapter:

Same thing with cape names:

Wildbow often says "spoke" when he means "said," so I checked how often this happens, and the balance between the two is usually surprisingly close. Spoke seems to trend upwards when he wants things to feel weighty or a character to sound cool and gravitas-y.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 6, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

<3

Thank you, if you point this at something of a higher quality does it condense further? Is brevity truly the soul?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

LLSix posted:

You seemingly missed the word 'books' in that sentence.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anias posted:

<3

Thank you, if you point this at something of a higher quality does it condense further? Is brevity truly the soul?

It really depends on the author's style, the kind of book they're writing, and the editor, and that's a really good point to hit- a lot of what I was hitting with that smorgasbord of graphics was looking specifically at structural editing. In this case I think good editing corresponds to quality (e.g. a smaller number of condensed beats leads to tighter pacing and easier-to-follow plotting), but that's not always a guarantee. If the author is going for something intentionally slower and more contemplative they might not be served as well by the same workflow, and there's really outside the box stuff like The Road where the intentional eccentricities of the narrative voice and the book's overall structure (e.g. two people run around looking to eat and not get et) would make it look like a dumpster fire when you turned a lot of data-driven tools towards it, but in practice it works pretty well.

So it really comes down to what you're trying to do. Some stuff like readability and lexical diversity are usually consistently useful to look at, but I would never use them to drive the development of a manuscript- it's way more effective to just read the darn thing, then sit down with the author and go "X is good, Y didn't work for me but it might be down to taste, Z needs to change or go."

Edit: Oh yeah, genre conventions are another big thing to take into account- a thriller or mystery novel are much likelier than fiction or sci-fi to be transparent to this sort of analysis, and even within a genre someone very formulaic like Dan Brown will probably have his stuff chunk out nicely into predictable trends, whereas someone like Stephen King who's a great writer on a technical level but often wanders around plotwise would look iffy in data, but probably read just fine.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 6, 2021

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

You seemingly missed the word 'books' in that sentence.

Web series are just books that are being read in installments, as they're written. The original post was kind of weird and condescending "they're not real books" in the first place

If you want to be a purist about what counts as a book, serials have been a thing for ~200 years.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 7, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Narmi posted:

Web series are just books that are being read in installments, as they're written. The original post was kind of weird and condescending "they're not real books" in the first place

If you want to be a purist about what counts as a book, serials have been a thing for ~200 years.

Oh, please.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
What exactly do you think a book is, if not a collection of chapters that tells a story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Web serials are books in the same way that Twilight is a book. In that they are both, in fact, books.
A book doesn't have to reach a certain level of sophistication before it is such.