Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I did manage to squeak out a win the other day. I first-picked Axe and then the other team last-picked Phantom Assassin?
And they were a very bad PA. Die in lane, return, blink into the creep wave that I'm standing in the middle of. Call, Spin, Dead.

But it was still one of those not-even-fun stompy wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Not to keep complaining, but my loss streak continues. I just had a game with a mid Lina (that lost her tower by minute 10) and an AM that couldn't spellshield block Oracle root (the easiest block in the world). Lina came to our lane, and proceeded to take the farm all the while calling me a noob for refusing to man fight with her against a rotate of:

1) Oracle
2) Lifestealer
3) Drow Ranger
4) Sniper

I said to go back, but instead she went in, fed, pinged my bushwack for the rest of the game.

Then later she complained that "I don't know how to stun" when she attempted to fight at melee range against a 5 lvl advantage Lifestealer with an Oracle right behind him. Like the three of them just in a triangle, lina right clicking him, LS right clicking her, and Oracle just healing him over and over.

She all chatted that I don't know how to stun, and then she just went to jungle for the rest of the game until we lost 20 min later.

I need a break.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

There are unfortunately plenty of Dota situations where you can make the objectively correct call to retreat but your team ignores you which then changes the calculus to 'you must actually do the stupid play with them because they are committed and they have NO chance without you (presumably smarter, more beautiful, correct items, and more farm, because you're heading to higher MMR.) at least as a support. When the game is going wrong, I play mostly support, I will follow whoever the initiator is. I ignore if they are crying about this that and the other thing, I still just shove mana or healing into them and generally they shut their traps (or get muted by everyone muting them)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Spiking posted:

There are unfortunately plenty of Dota situations where you can make the objectively correct call to retreat but your team ignores you which then changes the calculus to 'you must actually do the stupid play with them because they are committed and they have NO chance without you (presumably smarter, more beautiful, correct items, and more farm, because you're heading to higher MMR.) at least as a support. When the game is going wrong, I play mostly support, I will follow whoever the initiator is. I ignore if they are crying about this that and the other thing, I still just shove mana or healing into them and generally they shut their traps (or get muted by everyone muting them)

Makes sense, this is what I was doing in this situation, literally following around Lina since she was intent on initiating. It's just incredible frustrating. I went from a 20 game win to a 20 game loss, and now I'm down sub 1k MMR. It's demoralizing. I'm going to load up a couple single player games and take a couple weeks off. I think that maybe everyone is trying to get tokens or something so I keep seeing players with their first game on a hero or something, and I just need a break.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Mortimer Knag posted:

I do NOT like that Zeus seems to have become a right clicker

Ban this sick filth.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Zeus is hilariously broken this patch. Think i'm at 70 or 75% slam picking zeus 4 (as long as AM is banned) in 30ish games and building whatever item my team needs since he does so much brainless damage and can deward for free. Kind of surprised they dont make the true sight at like level 3 or something but i'm not complaining.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I was really surprised by how much of a power spike Zeus shard feels like even if you rush it at 15 minutes, I thought for sure it would require at least a Manta to feel strong but it just adds so much damage.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Every night I ask god why IceFrog added the Zues Mario jump, and god never responds.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I think it's an overadjustment from when zeus would reach peak usefulness at level 9 then drop off once people had hp and magic resist. Zeus used to be useless against bkb. Now none of those things are true and he has something to keep him going either via trait or item til like level 20 when arc deals 6% max hp additional.

My main mid build has been no boots, two null talisman and sobi mask (keep for oblivion staff later), bottle, phylactery, time agh shard for 15 min and get yasha items with spare money, finish yasha, finish manta, hurricane pike or witchblade depending on how much i'm owning, finish parasma and hurricane pike. Get boots of travel and a situational item. Finish crit phylactery and that's so much mixed damage. There's really no time you don't have momentum and you're able to man mode enemies and disengage reliably between manta, jump, and hurricane pike. And deward. Dude does it all right now

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
zeus becoming a pretty strong right clicker was one of the more jarring things to me after coming back from a 4 year break

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bring back Static Field :colbert:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Spiking posted:

Another thing you can do is pick a support who can clear waves and take towers and try to not play near your team if you can help it. I grinded out of archon picking venomancer and if the game wasn't going our way, I'd jungle the enemy side of the map with wards or cut a wave behind t2 while my team would do whatever they wanted. Sometimes they tilt if you don't tp to go die with them in a bad fight with no vision, but you should try and play in a way that if a bad fight happens, you're in position to take an enemy tower.

Sometimes you even get the enemy to tp 1 or 2 to get you and your team ends up winning the bad fight (they still get mad at you for not tping but you know in your heart you made a good play and that's really all you can hope for in dota)

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Spiking posted:

Doing extremely well with lion suck build, recommended to all MMR lovers. You do first have to identify the draft before embarking on the journey, if you are the initiator you have to dump the suck plan and get a blink as usual.
If you HAVE an initiator, and hopefully some tank, and or teammates like drow, Zeus, viper, etc, who starve for mana, this build is quite godlike. Even better if the enemy has mana drain vulnerable hero such as tide, bristleback, death prophet etc.

Your positioning with this has to be such that you are NOT ever initiated on, you are always waiting to counter initiate.

Start tangos sent Regen ring windlace. First buy tranqs for lane. Second buy wraith band. Possible third buy of wraith band or delay as needed. 1-1-4 skill build. Ideally shard at 15. Ghost Sceptre next if appropriate for the game as you can ethereal - stun - suck for virtual invulnerability. I take the ult gives HP and mana drain slows talents for this build. The wraith bands are the best armor for gold items and multiply at min 25 when as a pos 5 you surely are not 6 slotted anyway. Sometimes I get 3. Sucking mana into your friends after fights gives an extremely underrated amount of push potential assuming you're doing this build with the proper team.

The real power of the build is the bait potential - every Dota player is hard wired from birth to squish a lion as fast as possible. Even with just two WB and the 80 percent magic resistance, you will live through insane commitments that lion only could have dreamed about before. With ghost Sceptre timed right you are essentially invincible during suck. If you position properly you'll have enemy initiators diving past their first target to hit you, then standing there useless as your team beats them into the ground.

One unfortunate caveat is you will not and should not be trying to get finger stacks the same way as a typical lion- I almost always let it loose as part of counter initiation before suck so stacks may need to be left by the wayside.

Just posting to let you know I’ve been causing a lot of anger on my own team with this build. So you’re welcome.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dota has been really rough lately for me and my friend group, everyone just a little more easily rattled, not sure if it's the double down token effect or patch fatigue or just my own mental state but yeah it's not been overly positive.

On the plus side, 2 of my friends did queue against each other in the same game last night so that was kinda amusing especially because the friend with a 1/16/24 pos5 # lich beat the other friend - a mid riki that finished 30/8/14 - her only kill was the riki, lmao

i have never once thought about going offline in steam and playing with everyone muted but when that sounds like the tonic, christ things are bad

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think it's doubledown causing people to lose their mind. I just had a terrible game where our mid pudge did OK in lane, built eternal shroud -> shard -> aghs, and then spent the last 30 min of the game on the outskirts of fights attempting to hook people. All the while voice chatting about how we were losing the game. Twice he was just sitting on the little high ground near the enemy tormentor while we pushed on t3 bot, with an Aegis. We took a fight 4v5, and pudge just kept fishing but only getting creeps. We lost the fight since we were basically 4v5 with our mid contributing nothing. Afterwards he starting complaining that PL wasn't playing right, but then he did that again and died four times with 0 fight contribution. We had all their towers and were pushing hard, but with him as a dead weight and consuming so much farm we just couldn't close it out.

End of game he had only 18k damage, in a 50 minute 40 kill game.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

My games have been good I just hit immortal again. Occasionally get the bad picks and griefers but i think my timings on pos 5 as well as my hero pool being in the meta(Disruptor, clock, Bane) is to thank. Also that no one plays in NA.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Oodles posted:

Just posting to let you know I’ve been causing a lot of anger on my own team with this build. So you’re welcome.

8 win streak here! It's different to play though. One of the real powers is pumping mana back into your team so they can keep re-engaging when appropriate.

There are plenty of games where you have to cave and get a more typical item ASAP though. If your team needs force or glimmer for saves it still needs to be prioritized. Probably the big item I "skip" for this build is blink dagger, as it absolutely shouldn't be taken without an initiator on your team, if no initiator, back to blink dagger ASAP. I still will typically get a blink 4 or 5th item for key stuns.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I won like 30 turbos out of 40 when I was doing the map and now im playing sweaties and losing so I've moved on to recalibration and am smashing ranked while losing turbs so it's a good time

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There are way more smurfs than usual since the introduction of double-down tokens, both on the english-speaking team and the spanish-speaking team.

I also found out how you can lose with a smurf on your team...have two other cores hitting jungle creeps on your side of the map instead of grouping with the smurf, or even taking objectives on the opposite side while the enemy team is busy dealing with the smurf. Now it's minute 50 and either the smurf is beyond pissed and just TPs away to splitpush when you need to defend highground, or now the other two's participation is no longer optional, but the fact they're defending high ground at min 50 when their mid went 17/2 in 30min kinda says it all.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 20, 2024

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had probably my favorite game of DOTES yet last night. I had time for one game, we a P5 WD, p4 hoodwink (me), mid NP, safelane Spectre. I forget offlane, but about two minutes in, NP starts accusing WD of map hacking and refusing to play with him. NP just started buying all our consumable, and TPing right into their base over and over. When he wasn't doing that, he was TPing into team fights and and Sprouting us so we couldn't fight. Allied NP just to be clear. I didn't mute him because it was fun to hear him say "I refuse to let this cheater win, I'm not going to support him" etc.

It was a wild game playing against him. He bought all of our wards, smokes, etc, and just burned them up in our base all game. Somehow, on the back of an incredible Spectre carry game we managed to win, like it went 75 minutes, but late game farmed Spectre is impossible to deal with. He refused to DC and just kept griefing all game.

They had an AM carry, and I think his sprouting WD over and over actually helped since they had all melee cores and couldn't interrupt his Death Ward. I'm not sure, but it was the most fun I've had in DOTA2 in a while. Eventually the game said that NP was muted for the rest of the match. I'm not sure why that happened, maybe if three of his teammates mute him he's automuted? Not sure.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Well just had my most memorable game of dota ever, one double down away from crusader, went mid OD, I'm not sure why, because i have a 33% winrate lmao, faced a huskar mid, did ok till level 6, one hit way from killing him in lane but he escaped, proceeds to go 18/1/8, kills me like 5 times, and them we rally, take rosh, tear down their base with Luna, he ends up like 20/5/18 and i get the W

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I had probably my favorite game of DOTES yet last night. I had time for one game, we a P5 WD, p4 hoodwink (me), mid NP, safelane Spectre. I forget offlane, but about two minutes in, NP starts accusing WD of map hacking and refusing to play with him. NP just started buying all our consumable, and TPing right into their base over and over. When he wasn't doing that, he was TPing into team fights and and Sprouting us so we couldn't fight. Allied NP just to be clear. I didn't mute him because it was fun to hear him say "I refuse to let this cheater win, I'm not going to support him" etc.

It was a wild game playing against him. He bought all of our wards, smokes, etc, and just burned them up in our base all game. Somehow, on the back of an incredible Spectre carry game we managed to win, like it went 75 minutes, but late game farmed Spectre is impossible to deal with. He refused to DC and just kept griefing all game.

They had an AM carry, and I think his sprouting WD over and over actually helped since they had all melee cores and couldn't interrupt his Death Ward. I'm not sure, but it was the most fun I've had in DOTA2 in a while. Eventually the game said that NP was muted for the rest of the match. I'm not sure why that happened, maybe if three of his teammates mute him he's automuted? Not sure.

Not sure how many reports from your team it takes but seeing that message pop up regarding your toxic teammate is the best feeling dota has to offer.

Sprouting the witch doctor (thus putting him in fog for the enemy) is hilarious though. That's some unintentional 200iq playmaking.

There's a guy in my bracket (archon au/sea) who often goes prophet mid, and he's so so bad and developed such a reputation that players on both teams openly start talking poo poo him before the horn even goes off. I find it hilarious.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well just had my most memorable game of dota ever, one double down away from crusader, went mid OD, I'm not sure why, because i have a 33% winrate lmao, faced a huskar mid, did ok till level 6, one hit way from killing him in lane but he escaped, proceeds to go 18/1/8, kills me like 5 times, and them we rally, take rosh, tear down their base with Luna, he ends up like 20/5/18 and i get the W

please don't doxx every huskar game i've ever played

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I just had a miserable game as distuptor vs a Clinkz and Night Stalker.

I did my best to put down loads of sentries, but I was just food for the Night Stalker.

Harpoon as an item can get in the bin.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
There's no worse dota feeling than dodging their first initiation, then dodging the ns blink by too little distance, just to get harpooned in anyway.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

harpoon needs a rework and that rework should be: the hero that harpoons gets fully dragged towards the harpooned hero. and if that harpooned hero happens to blink into their fountain? well too bad.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

There's no worse dota feeling than dodging their first initiation, then dodging the ns blink by too little distance, just to get harpooned in anyway.

Totally makes forcestaff a pointless way to dodge it now. Took me ages to eventually build a euls too.

Also didn’t help that I wasn’t playing with audio, so I couldn’t hear his ult either.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oodles posted:

Harpoon as an item can get in the bin.

Would we then have to do the same with Hurricane Pike? :thunk:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that post made me curious:

pike's been around since 6.87 (more than eight years!)

harpoon has only existed since 7.33

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

emdash posted:

pike's been around since 6.87 (more than eight years!)

It's still a new item in my head :colbert:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It doesn't damage on hit so buy that blink!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Valve dropped some early hints for tomorrow's patch via Crownfall:

quote:

• _____ base armor decreased by 0.5
  • Whenever the sun comes out _____ reveals the whole map for 5 seconds
  • Disruptor: Kinetic _____ replaced with Kinetic _____
  • Enemy attack projectiles within 500 range of _____ are slowed down
  • _____ can travel in a curve
  • _____ can use items in their backpack as if they were in their inventory
  • Silencer cannot be _____
  • _____ has 0 ability points at level 1
  • Lifestealer permanently gains _____ when killing a creep
  • _____ starts with 250 extra gold
  • Enemies within the Arena of Blood cannot see their allies*
*According to Reddit, the last line is spoiled by the Chinese and Russian translations referencing "blood" and "arena" respectively.

There was also a rumour going around that all heroes are getting an innate ability like Ogre and Treant, which this teaser certainly seems to confirm. Just from the hints it does sound like the patch is pretty loving wild. I'm excited.

My guesses on some:
Whenever the sun comes out Phoenix reveals the whole map for 5 seconds (synergizes with Supernova turning night to day)
Tinker can use items in their backpack as if they were in their inventory (he's got the robot arms, after all, and he's the most likely hero to get 7+ active items)
Silencer cannot be silenced (kinda obvious choice but doesn't even seem that great of a trait, though maybe they're counting the Int steal as part of the trait as well)
Invoker has 0 ability points at level 1 (seems the likeliest option to me, an Invoker rework where he starts with all three orbs at level 1)
Lifestealer permanently gains Health when killing a creep (it's in the name!)
Alchemist starts with 250 extra gold (duh)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like dawnbreaker would work better with the daylight map thing I really hope it's for both teams instead of just your team. really catch people with their pants down. underlord spectre dawnbreaker natures spiritbreaker team global every day cycle

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Enemy attack projectiles within 500 range of _____ are slowed down

would make sense if this is faceless void with the whole "time" thing (maybe weaver?) but i'm struggling to see how this is a buff unless it literally stops them dead, it just stacks them up until you get hit by 10 at the same time or what?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I really hope it's void and it turns targeted projectiles I to skillshots so we get bullet hells in dota 2 now

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

NtotheTC posted:

Enemy attack projectiles within 500 range of _____ are slowed down

would make sense if this is faceless void with the whole "time" thing (maybe weaver?) but i'm struggling to see how this is a buff unless it literally stops them dead, it just stacks them up until you get hit by 10 at the same time or what?

You would still get hit by them at the same rate they were launched, not all at once, if it's a passive/permanent effect and not something that runs out.

Let's say you're attacked 5 times, once per second. Standard travel time is say, one second. Let's say this slow aura extends that travel time from 1 to 2 seconds.
Enemy starts attacking at 0 seconds, then attacks four more times at seconds 1, 2, 3 and 4.
A regular target would get hit at seconds 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
The projectile slowing hero gets hit at seconds 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

The effect would be more pronounced if the target of the attack is actually running away. Potentially you could outrun attack projectiles (like you can some current slow projectiles such as Necro's Death Pulse, SWM's Arcane Bolt), but hard to say without knowing how strong the slow is.

As for usefulness, it would basically mean that hero and everyone around them takes damage from ranged attacks more slowly, which gives extra time to react by doing something like healing, using an item, blinking/disjointing, etc. Slowing down incoming damage does help FV specifically because of Time Walk. It could either give you more time to react to a damage spike by healing with Time Walk, or extra time for Time Walk to come off cooldown before dying.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 22, 2024

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

running away from 6 drow ult projectiles with void beside you "thank you void! you saved me!" void timewalks off to the side to farm a creep camp "wait n-"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the projectile poo poo might actually be sniper lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
thank you Valve for releasing the patch on my wedding anniversary - one of 2 days a year where the wife pulls rank and says "no dota"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Lifestealer permanently gains experience when killing a creep