Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Q_res posted:

Should I scared of Gigabytes refurbished stuff? Newegg has a refurb 2070 for $365, but about half the reviews are complaining about how it was busted the day they got it, another refurb Gigabyte 2070 for a little more is the same story.

I'm desperately in need of a GPU upgrade, something that can push 1440p@60. I'm currently running a 6GB 1060, so you can imagine how much it's struggling. I don't mind turning sliders down either. For a long time my general rule has been never to spend more than $300 on a GPU and it's served me reasonably well, but it's become readily apparent that I'm not going to be able to stick to that rule this time. So I'm looking at the refurb as a way to boost my bang-for-the-buck, so to speak.

I'd buy a new Red Dragon 5700 over some refurb gigabyte any day. It's $349 on Amazon US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have lucked out tremendously by being patient and scoping unopened//basically new in damaged box deals on amazon, including with GPUs

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Q_res posted:

Should I scared of Gigabytes refurbished stuff? Newegg has a refurb 2070 for $365, but about half the reviews are complaining about how it was busted the day they got it, another refurb Gigabyte 2070 for a little more is the same story.

I'm desperately in need of a GPU upgrade, something that can push 1440p@60. I'm currently running a 6GB 1060, so you can imagine how much it's struggling. I don't mind turning sliders down either. For a long time my general rule has been never to spend more than $300 on a GPU and it's served me reasonably well, but it's become readily apparent that I'm not going to be able to stick to that rule this time. So I'm looking at the refurb as a way to boost my bang-for-the-buck, so to speak.

actually just bought 2060 super windforce and noticed that there is 2 revisions. And apparently the first revision is really noisy while second one is the one that apparently fixes it.
:ohdear: im still concerned on which revision i will get from the mail.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 1, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Q_res posted:

Do not buy anything on newegg that's sold by the random 2nd party stores they have on there. Any time you're looking at newegg turn off "all sellers".

If it's sold by newegg it's probably ok. You're saving $40 but there's a chance you'll be out $10 to ship it back. Does seem weird that gigabyte has so many refurb 2070s on hand though.

(Also, there's an asrock 5700xt on newegg for $370 plus rebate right now if you're looking to get under $400.)

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
If you’re set on RTX you can also scope out EVGA B stock and Zotac refurbished. A few days ago Zotac had a 2070 (non-super) for $280 though it was a blower style cooler. EVGA comes with a 1 year warranty and Zotac only has a 90 day.

Micro Center can also potentially have some good open box deals but you have to live near one which is not always the case for everyone.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 1, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's sold directly by Newegg (learned my lesson on that, one outfit took 3 weeks before they even shipped my order, luckily it worked out) and according to the description was refurbed by Gigabyte themselves.

EVGA B stock, everything at a decent price is out of stock. And I'm not anywhere near a Microcenter, unfortunately. I'll check Amazon though.

edit: Hell, Newegg has a brand new 2070 for only $34 more. Definitely not worth gambling on the refurb then. 2 fan is fine so long as it's not a blower setup, right?

Q_res fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 1, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Reference RX 5700s go for below $300. Got one for $289, flashed it with the XT bios, and overclocked to 2050, where it runs stable at 85-90C when running Heaven for extended periods. Better coolers are nice, but seem to be unnecessary for this card.

That's a nice price for performance somewhere between a 2060S and 2070S overclocked.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

v1ld posted:

Reference RX 5700s go for below $300. Got one for $289, flashed it with the XT bios, and overclocked to 2050, where it runs stable at 85-90C when running Heaven for extended periods. Better coolers are nice, but seem to be unnecessary for this card.

That's a nice price for performance somewhere between a 2060S and 2070S overclocked.

I love you rn

E: I've got an amd 2600x hooked into a TV w a 1060 , IDGAF about rtx or ultramaxx on this machine. I use that PC as an Xbox basically. Would this solution be good to basically pop a game on a 4k TV then cherry pick the settings to basically have a superconsole?

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 1, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Statutory Ape posted:

I love you rn

E: I've got an amd 2600x hooked into a TV w a 1060 , IDGAF about rtx or ultramaxx on this machine. I use that PC as an Xbox basically. Would this solution be good to basically pop a game on a 4k TV then cherry pick the settings to basically have a superconsole?

Yeah, though you'll have to turn down settings and probably won't hold a solid 60 - depending on game and setting it might wind up 30.

If you do get a blower though it's going to be fairly loud.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

v1ld posted:

The 2070S is quite a bit faster, unless you’re comparing an overclocked card to a non-overclocked card. Which would be a little strange...

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Taima posted:

The 2070S is quite a bit faster, unless you’re comparing an overclocked card to a non-overclocked card. Which would be a little strange...

A 5700 flashed with the XT bios is within 5% or so of the XT, so not too far off from the 2070S but $200ish cheaper depending on the model.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1917-amd-radeon-5700-bios-flash-5700-xt/

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ItBreathes posted:

Yeah, though you'll have to turn down settings and probably won't hold a solid 60 - depending on game and setting it might wind up 30.

If you do get a blower though it's going to be fairly loud.

im not really sure what the best way to accomplish "make PC look best it can on 55 inch tv". right now its set to 4k and i think rendering at some lower resolution which is A-OK by me. my plan was to keep on doing that except just do it with some better hardware than a 1060

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Statutory Ape posted:

im not really sure what the best way to accomplish "make PC look best it can on 55 inch tv". right now its set to 4k and i think rendering at some lower resolution which is A-OK by me. my plan was to keep on doing that except just do it with some better hardware than a 1060

You can do that. I've got a 1660ti hooked up to a 4k tv and it does destiny 2 at 4k medium at 45-60fps and it looks better than upscaling from 1080p / I can live with the framerate. Otoh, that's a weaker card but a not very demanding game.

It'll do fine as an xbox+, either up-rezed or native, youll just have to fiddle with the settings if you're doing it at native, but that's part and parcel with PCs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Taima posted:

Never said that - said it lies in between the 2060S and 2070S which is certainly true of the default 5700.

But the default 5700 also has something neither of those cards has: a bunch of unrealized potential that can be trivially unlocked. Doing that unlock brings it much closer to the 5700 XT which is itself very close to the 2070 S, even faster in some games.

The 2070S is certainly a more capable card than the 5700 and there are features on one card but not the other, but the unlock closes the gap a bit and is why I said the unlocked version lies in between the 2060S/2070S. All this is irrespective of overclock.

The unlock should certainly inform your purchase as the other cards don't have such an option and the prices on the 5700 don't factor it in, which is part of what makes it a very good bargain right now if its performance is acceptable.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

v1ld posted:

Never said that - said it lies in between the 2060S and 2070S which is certainly true of the default 5700.

But the default 5700 also has something neither of those cards has: a bunch of unrealized potential that can be trivially unlocked. Doing that unlock brings it much closer to the 5700 XT which is itself very close to the 2070 S, even faster in some games.

The 2070S is certainly a more capable card than the 5700 and there are features on one card but not the other, but the unlock closes the gap a bit and is why I said the unlocked version lies in between the 2060S/2070S. All this is irrespective of overclock.

The unlock should certainly inform your purchase as the other cards don't have such an option and the prices on the 5700 don't factor it in, which is part of what makes it a very good bargain right now if its performance is acceptable.

Do 100% of 5700s successfully unlock into XT cards or is there a risk that you could end up with a dud?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Do 100% of 5700s successfully unlock into XT cards or is there a risk that you could end up with a dud?

Flashing the bios doesn't increase the active number of shader cores, it just changes the maximum boost clock (5700 is artificially limited) and the fan curve.

If you screw anything up -- pick the wrong bios, have power loss or anything like that while doing the flash -- it will brick the card. Unless you have dual bioses where you have a backup and can recover from the good one.

eames
May 9, 2009

5700 and XT are really the best value cards on the market with the current sales and Turing prices staying so firm, oddly even the lower stack.

Gamers Nexus claims that AMD will announce RDNA2 cards at CES, that’s only ~5 weeks from now. Their source is a person that got a few “unique” leaks in the past right. I wouldn’t believe any of that under normal circumstances but looking at the CPU landscape I’d say anything is possible with AMD.

Not much is known about RDNA2 but it seems reasonable to expect some form of hardware raytracing.
How funny would it be if AMD manages to get into RTX IQ/performance territory with much smaller and cheaper chips that don’t have any tensor core fluff in them. :haw:
Together with optimized game engines (RDNA2 is likely what’s going into next gen consoles) this could lead to some amusing results.

eames fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 1, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And it's also worth pointing out how big a contribution Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening was, and all the kudos in the world for them making it a free technology. It makes a huge difference in games, but it's one of those many things you have to know to enable.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Got my new machine put together: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ with 32 gig of ram & Win 10.

Problem is the fans won't spin after startup and the computer eventually shuts down (due to heat i presume), AMD driver installed and Afterburner running to adjust fan curve (switched between the three bios switches but no change).

Have both Trixx & Afterburner installed/uninstalled on several occasions as well with no change.

When i run the machine under Linux the fans run at 100% by the looks of it (no driver installed), so the fans work physically but i'm not getting anything on Windows.

Any ideas? :confused:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Got my new machine put together: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ with 32 gig of ram & Win 10.

Problem is the fans won't spin after startup and the computer eventually shuts down (due to heat i presume), AMD driver installed and Afterburner running to adjust fan curve (switched between the three bios switches but no change).

Have both Trixx & Afterburner installed/uninstalled on several occasions as well with no change.

When i run the machine under Linux the fans run at 100% by the looks of it (no driver installed), so the fans work physically but i'm not getting anything on Windows.

Could be a power draw issue; I've had my computer power down over a busted (insufficient) power connection. Basically, I had a huge power bottleneck that choked my computer. Try plugging the PSU directly into a power outlet and don't use any extenders and things like that.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently Gigabyte's X570 boards currently have an issue maintaining some PWM fans. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a bios update, but for now the workaround is to change the headers to "voltage controlled" in bios.

E: That link was from a while ago. Have you updated the bios?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Stickman posted:

Apparently Gigabyte's X570 boards currently have an issue maintaining some PWM fans. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a bios update, but for now the workaround is to change the headers to "voltage controlled" in bios.

E: That link was from a while ago. Have you updated the bios?

To clarify; it's the fans on my graphics card that are the problem, cpu fans & cooler (Noctua) working fine. :shobon:

Will update the bios and see if that helps at all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

To clarify; it's the fans on my graphics card that are the problem, cpu fans & cooler (Noctua) working fine. :shobon:

Will update the bios and see if that helps at all.

The graphics card fans aren't controller by the Bios (but I recommend updating with a new platform such as this, you definitely want the latest microcode for your Ryzen).

To edit your GPU fan curve, install a tool like MSI Afterburner (doesn't matter you don't have an MSI card).

The fans not spinning on a graphics card in desktop usage is a pretty common feature, so check whether your card has that capability and whether your shutdown issues are due to something different (you could force the fans to always spin through Afterburner, for example). To monitor temperatures in general, I recommend HWMonitor.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Efb

Monitor the temps. What are they maxing at when gaming?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 2, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That makes sense in the GPU thread :v: In that case it's most likely either a power/cable issue (though unlikely since the fans work in linux) or something is off with the configuration of the fan curves or the temperature sensor. What happens if you try to manually control the fan settings in Trixx? Does the temperature reading seem to change, or could the temperature reading be fixed at some low number?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The fans shouldn't spin at 100% even without a driver installed, something seems pretty screwy with your card.

What happens with just the AMD driver installed, no other utilities like Afterburner or Trixx? And, am I reading this right that you can't get the fans to run at all with either Afterburner or Trixx and manual fan curve adjustment enabled?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

eames posted:

5700 and XT are really the best value cards on the market with the current sales and Turing prices staying so firm, oddly even the lower stack.

Gamers Nexus claims that AMD will announce RDNA2 cards at CES, that’s only ~5 weeks from now. Their source is a person that got a few “unique” leaks in the past right. I wouldn’t believe any of that under normal circumstances but looking at the CPU landscape I’d say anything is possible with AMD.

Not much is known about RDNA2 but it seems reasonable to expect some form of hardware raytracing.
How funny would it be if AMD manages to get into RTX IQ/performance territory with much smaller and cheaper chips that don’t have any tensor core fluff in them. :haw:
Together with optimized game engines (RDNA2 is likely what’s going into next gen consoles) this could lead to some amusing results.

Don't care if they annouce a quantum GPU, or a chip powered by the fricken astral plane at this point. The high end variant needs to match 2080 super performance at $600 or under and/or the halo product matching a 2080ti for $800 (this being less likely I'm not holding my breath).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I've just been waffling here about the new card. I guess the value really seems to be at 5700/5700xt though. Since I have to buy at amazon (using rewards points to buy it) this one seems like a good bet? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-Radeon-Boost-Clock/dp/B07WXWB7F5

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's a non-reference XFX twin fan 5700 for $80 less at $310: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XVMXBQW/

Not an XT, but can be flashed if you're ok with doing that.

E: I have no idea which are the good cards and which are not as I went with a reference card with a blower as the noise doesn't usually bother me - but I do hear it sometimes on quitting a game.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 2, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've just been waffling here about the new card. I guess the value really seems to be at 5700/5700xt though. Since I have to buy at amazon (using rewards points to buy it) this one seems like a good bet? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-Radeon-Boost-Clock/dp/B07WXWB7F5

Unfortunately, MSi’s Evoke and Mech cards have pretty terrible coolers. It’s worth spending a little extra money for a Powercolor Red Dragon or a Sapphire Pulse.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
This 5700 if you just plug it in and play with stock settings: https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Dragon-Radeon-5700-Graphics/dp/B07WRVWNMY/
This one for futzing around, OC, flashing an XT BIOS, etc https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Devil-Radeon-5700-Graphics/dp/B07WY3TJW3/

No idea whether that MSI above is the good one or not (the colour looks odd), MSI are generally really bad when you step off the premium Gaming X reservation.
And I wouldn't touch XFX after their very recent cooler debacles.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 2, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Gigabyte cooler on the 5700 XT is good as well.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am probably not comfortable flashing a new bios onto a 5700, so it seems like based on general quality/cooling I should go this route? https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Graphics-256-Bit-Gv-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD/dp/B07W95D5V3/

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That’s a solid choice!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Cool, thanks for being a sounding board goons!
(actually getting the powercolor since the gigabyte is back ordered lol)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Has there been any updates on when the Nvidia RTX 3000 series is suppose to come out/specs besides some time 2020 June/July?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BexGu posted:

Has there been any updates on when the Nvidia RTX 3000 series is suppose to come out/specs besides some time 2020 June/July?

Not anything from anyone trustworthy enough to actually believe, no. But in that NVidia has been pushing a 18-24mo cycle, and the 2080Ti was released Sep 18, it's reasonable to expect somewhere in the Spring/Summer 2020 we'll see their next iteration.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

What are thread recommendations for a Radeon RX 580 GPU? I'm updating/replacing a 10-year old build and am on a budget, so I can't go for a Radeon 5700/XT; even a GTX 1660 Super is pushing the limits of what I can spend. User reviews on Newegg seem to say there's QC issues for a lot of these cards, but I don't know how reliable those are. Any help from more knowledgeable goons?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BexGu posted:

There's been nothing and the "Sometime in June/July" is 100% guesswork based on their typical release cycles. There possibly could be no new generation in 2020 at all.

As someone with a 1070 I'm very much struggling with the "Wait or buy" decision. I don't really need a new GPU right now and I usually wait a few years between buys so I'd like to stretch it. But yeah, I'd really like to hear something from Nvidia one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Meaty Ore posted:

What are thread recommendations for a Radeon RX 580 GPU? I'm updating/replacing a 10-year old build and am on a budget, so I can't go for a Radeon 5700/XT; even a GTX 1660 Super is pushing the limits of what I can spend. User reviews on Newegg seem to say there's QC issues for a lot of these cards, but I don't know how reliable those are. Any help from more knowledgeable goons?

My advice at this price point is just buy a used GPU. You can save a boatload of money and as long as you buy a decent model and are smart about who you buy it from, it's super low risk. Modern GPUs last loving forever, and especially such a low-end GPU is going to be unbearably slow long before it breaks.