Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz2k21 posted:

As a Brit I'd love a PPV that started at like 4pm, the closest we've had in recent times was the Beast in the East special, it was on at about 10am on a Saturday and was shown in a local bar it was great I got a little day drunk had some lunch then went for a nap.

You'll likely get a PPV in the next 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
re: good squash matches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GyuAkFgJn8

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So what was the last Wrestlemania that went exactly as planned? The last few years must seem like some sort of nightmare to Vince.

You know what, never mind, there is no way he considered 28 and 29 to be failures.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 27, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

That DICK! posted:

A2J AKA Team Art would have been a better name for the team imo

Jesus what a reference

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

willus posted:

i just went and found this (backlash 2006) because it sounds extremely excellent and at the start of the show they have a recap of vince announcing the match, where he referred to shane as "the product of my semen"

I don't remember if it's in the show material or not but if not, find bit where Shane and Vince visit a church so Vince can cut a promo on God.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

So what was the last Wrestlemania that went exactly as planned? The last few years must seem like some sort of nightmare to Vince.

You know what, never mind, there is no way he considered 28 and 29 to be failures.

Given they broke revenue and profit records no one would.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't remember if it's in the show material or not but if not, find bit where Shane and Vince visit a church so Vince can cut a promo on God.

My favorite bit of that whole thing was Shane taking a conspicuous step to one side when Vince dares God to strike him down.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Brock's debut appearance set the tone for his entire career and sets the standard for all squashes before and after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPdETJuYYBE

My favorite part is that he doesn't even bother to pin anyone for the hardcore championship.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As much as people poo poo on Maven, he took that F-5 flawlessly.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm still impressed with Michael Cole for taking it right some time back. Everyone seems to fall on their back or side now, Cole took it flat and face down.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

remusclaw posted:

I'm still impressed with Michael Cole for taking it right some time back. Everyone seems to fall on their back or side now, Cole took it flat and face down.

Cole takes a lot of guff, some of it deserved, but he's the ultimate company man

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 27, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Brock's debut appearance set the tone for his entire career and sets the standard for all squashes before and after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPdETJuYYBE

if there's literally anyone to put in the ring at Brock Lesnar's debut to make him look like a million dollars, it's Spike Dudley. He probably could have tossed spike into gorilla position from the ring

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

remusclaw posted:

If memory serves, people started taking it on the side to reduce injury risk.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This was amazing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tony - "They are doing their job..."

drat right they are.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

This was amazing.

Kevin Nash doesn't even need to cover his jobbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HY_intJPQ4

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
The Prequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ptBhRskvao

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cole takes a lot of guff, some of it deserved, but he's the ultimate company man

I will always defend Cole.

"Heel Cole" was horrendous, and him vs Lawler went on 2 or 3 PVs too long and they completely hosed up what should have been the blow offmatch. But it was cool at the beginning, and I liked the 'Cole Mine'. Also, I blame Vince yelling in his ear or most, if not all of the stupid poo poo he says. Watch Beast in the East to see how much better he is without a crazy man yelling at him for 3 hours.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is that supposed to be a point in his favor lol

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

who shits on maven

who cares about maven enough to poo poo on him

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

I will always defend Cole.

"Heel Cole" was horrendous, and him vs Lawler went on 2 or 3 PVs too long and they completely hosed up what should have been the blow offmatch. But it was cool at the beginning, and I liked the 'Cole Mine'. Also, I blame Vince yelling in his ear or most, if not all of the stupid poo poo he says. Watch Beast in the East to see how much better he is without a crazy man yelling at him for 3 hours.

Heel Cole wasn't bad. The bad part was he was still used as the lead pbp guy in that role instead of as a manager.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Todd Pettengill did an interview recently where he revealed that when he left WWE, Vince asked him if he knew anyone to replace him, and Todd recommended Michael Cole since they had worked together in radio and Todd knew Cole was a huge wrestling nerd

Imagine the alternate universe where Todd Pettengill has been WWE's lead commentator for over a decade

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

To my eye, Maven always had pretty excellent fundamentals. He just didn't have anything at all to distinguish him from the rest of the roster. He was "Tough Enough Guy," when every other Tough Enough winner was allowed an opportunity to develop some sort of character.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gaz-L posted:

Heel Cole wasn't bad. The bad part was he was still used as the lead pbp guy in that role instead of as a manager.

This is kind of my point. Micheal Cole the man isn't bad. In fact he can be very entertaining. It is just the way he is used/directed that makes him insufferable.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Maven is cool when I was a kid I got a Polaroid in the ring with him and Nidia at a flea market in cincinnati

That was the first night charlie hass worked after his brother died. I remember him saying something like "my brothers lookin down on me in heaven, but were still on for this title match, so lets hear it for my new man Dlo Brown!!" as hes choking back tears. Then jamal and rosey hosed him up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

is that supposed to be a point in his favor lol

Considering the alternative is somebody like Striker, yes. Besides, it resulted in him taking some pretty amazing beatings over the years....

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

who shits on maven

who cares about maven enough to poo poo on him

Maven gets poo'd on pretty much whenever he's brought up, I find

Dude did a nice dropkick, though

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 28, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is kind of my point. Micheal Cole the man isn't bad. In fact he can be very entertaining.

This is an interesting way to describe Michael Cole, who has never been good ever

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

maven looks like what commander shepard would if he became a wrestler

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

This talk of Heel Cole made me look up just how long it lasted, and it was so much longer than I thought. It started on the first episode of NXT, February 23 2010, and basically ended when Lawler had his heart attack, September 10 2012. Two and a half years of that poo poo. Augh.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Benoit squashing Orlando Jordan was great, especially considering they had a long boring match at the Great American Bash a month prior. http://dai.ly/x26yojo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

maven looks like what commander shepard would if he became a wrestler
shepard is a woman though :confused:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Web Jew.0 posted:

Benoit squashing Orlando Jordan was great, especially considering they had a long boring match at the Great American Bash a month prior. http://dai.ly/x26yojo

Summerslam 05 was the best because it was the company going "poo poo, our bad" in response to GAB and the previous month in general. Pretty much every wrong was righted.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Imagine the alternate universe where Todd Pettengill has been WWE's lead commentator for over a decade

Well looks like my night terrors are due for a return.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Can anybody think of an example where a guy normally seen as being a lovely in-ring performer had a really good match?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

Can anybody think of an example where a guy normally seen as being a lovely in-ring performer had a really good match?

Warrior against Savage, Mania VII

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

sean10mm posted:

In addition, it'd be cool if that lovely guy's match wasn't against one of those "can make anybody look good" wrestlers. So two lovely guys, or a lovely guy and a whatever guy.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shine posted:

In addition, it'd be cool if that lovely guy's match wasn't against one of those "can make anybody look good" wrestlers. So two lovely guys, or a lovely guy and a whatever guy.

:agreed:

Wish I'd thought of that stipulation. :)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Shine posted:

Kane vs. Albert

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sean10mm posted:

Shane vs. Test at SummerSlam '99 is a shockingly good match

projecthalaxy posted:

The most interesting part of the Cell match, to me, was seeing what a modern, Concussion Era Cell bump looked like, where you fall through a cleared table from a platform/foothold like seven feet up. I'm not complaining, I'm no CZW "bleed for my amusement" guy, but it was just interesting.
The current cell is actually way taller than the one Foley fell off of, which probably makes the Dean/Seth bump look more tame than it should. I think that's the only "fall off the cell" spot of any type since they quietly debuted the new cell in the DX vs. Shane/Vince/Big Show match.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hogan warrior wm 6