Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheFluff posted:

I haven't put any heatsinks on the VRM's or the VRAM yet either, but honestly it might not be needed at all. I was somewhat concerned about the VRM's on the "wrong" side of the GPU die since they don't have any airflow from the Kraken's fan, but it really doesn't seem to be a problem - the card's VRM temperature monitoring says 63C has been the max so far (I've seen 70C on the stock cooler), and while I don't know which power stage it's measuring, the no-airflow power stages haven't been uncomfortably hot to the touch at least. The VRM is honestly so overbuilt that this really doesn't surprise me. I'm somewhat more concerned about the VRAM though, since it doesn't have temperature monitoring and is mounted under the G12 bracket so it's hard to get airflow to. Might try to figure out some janky rear end ziptie fan mount for that in the coming days. It's hard to mount heatsinks on it since the mounting bracket is in the way.

You really don't need to worry about the VRMs. Not only are they overbuilt, as you say, but they're specced out to something silly like 110C. They need barely any airflow to be perfectly fine. The VRAM is potentially a different issue, as GDDR6 can get a bit hot. If you search Amazon/eBay for low-profile RAM heatsinks, you may be able to find some that fit under the mounting bracket. If not, zip-tieing a low-RPM fan in their general direction is probably sufficient.

TheFluff posted:

I installed CAM for fan/pump speed control but eeeh, I'd rather avoid it and just use Argus monitor instead. It's annoying that you can't control the pump speed without their special software, but that's what I get for buying without bewaring and I can't return it now. Think I'll hook up the radiator fans to a motherboard fan header tomorrow, just leave the pump at 100% and uninstall CAM.

Leaving the pump at 100% and just dicking with the fan speeds is the best way to go, yeah. Most pumps don't get appreciably quieter scaling down from like 100% to 50%, and anything below that is asking for trouble anyhow, so you might as well just leave it at the 100% it's designed to run at in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm seeing a bunch of 'cheap' quadro plex units on ebay all older GPUs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-Quadro-Plex-P375-System-With-2-Quadro-FX-5600-Cards/133240210574?hash=item1f05bc448e:g:z0UAAOSw5yJdBWjL

What were these used for? Can you swap out the cards for modern cards? Still, what commercial software can you use these with or were they mostly used with proprietary alien software in Area 51?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-Quadro-Plex-P375-System-With-2-Quadro-FX-5600-Cards/133240210574?hash=item1f05bc448e:g:z0UAAOSw5yJdBWjL

What were these used for? Can you swap out the cards for modern cards? Still, what commercial software can you use these with or were they mostly used with proprietary alien software in Area 51?

Per Google they're eGPUs for render farms. Considering their age and use of a specialized connector to hook up to a computer I doubt they're good for anything, unless you want what was thousands of dollars of hardware for a collection / conversation piece.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Dug up the manual for one of the models: https://la.nvidia.com/docs/CP/44809/Quadro_Plex_User_Guide.pdf

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaocaholica posted:

Probably rendering farms, like animation or 3d movie effects. IIRC Pixar had a render workstation on every employee's desk with stuff like that, during the day the employees used the stack of video cards to do real time rendering for what they were working on, and at night they auto switched over to running a distributed farm for rendering the movie.

It's a video card from 2008 so it's worth jack poo poo.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

Is that...a BCN connector on the back? :stare:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You mean BNC? That’s a common industrial connector for serial data and just rando switching.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DrDork posted:

Is that...a BCN connector on the back? :stare:

mmmm og gsync

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Delta-Wye posted:

mmmm og gsync

I think those were used to sync multiple GPUs in different systems to a global clock so you can have something like 16x4k tiled projectors driven by 16 different machines and all of their refreshes are synced to a master system so there's no 'tearing' if you will across projectors. I've seen these for dome projections for theme park rides and stuff like that.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I think those were used to sync multiple GPUs in different systems to a global clock so you can have something like 16x4k tiled projectors driven by 16 different machines and all of their refreshes are synced to a master system so there's no 'tearing' if you will across projectors. I've seen these for dome projections for theme park rides and stuff like that.

Yup, the BNC was a clock input to synchronize the whole system. I think nvidia calls it 'quadro sync' now, and g-sync is a related but different thing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Got my new machine put together: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ with 32 gig of ram & Win 10.

Problem is the fans won't spin after startup and the computer eventually shuts down (due to heat i presume), AMD driver installed and Afterburner running to adjust fan curve (switched between the three bios switches but no change).

Have both Trixx & Afterburner installed/uninstalled on several occasions as well with no change.

When i run the machine under Linux the fans run at 100% by the looks of it (no driver installed), so the fans work physically but i'm not getting anything on Windows.

Any ideas? :confused:

Apologies for the belated reply/update:

Flashed my motherboard to the newest version, set the GPU bios switch to the third option (which enables switching bios in windows) and rebooted.

Installed Sapphire Trixx and selected Primary Bios while in Win 10, rebooted again and everything is currently good.

Still have to try this out in Linux but it's progress for now. :-)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

As far as lo profile cards that would fit into an SFF optiplex et al, is there any competitive option from AMD or am I looking really at 1030/1050/ti only at this point

ive got my own w a 1050ti in it but i made that 2 years ago

e: i just dont really want to pay what im seeing for prices for, at this point, old poo poo

Worf fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 5, 2019

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVY5CjEC3W4

very hot, not thicc etc

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Statutory Ape posted:

As far as lo profile cards that would fit into an SFF optiplex et al, is there any competitive option from AMD or am I looking really at 1030/1050/ti only at this point

ive got my own w a 1050ti in it but i made that 2 years ago

e: i just dont really want to pay what im seeing for prices for, at this point, old poo poo

I’m also in the market for a low profile gaming GPU as well but I’m curious what’s available at the top end there always seems to be no market for these.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Really the last point - drivers - is what I've been most skeptical on when any 'new' player enters the gaming GPU market. GPU drivers are...hard. Really, really hard, and that's for established architectures. That has been my #1 concern if/when Intel releases this.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shaocaholica posted:

I’m also in the market for a low profile gaming GPU as well but I’m curious what’s available at the top end there always seems to be no market for these.

I was asking for an upgrade for a 1050ti in a SFF a couple months ago and the result was sticking with the 1050 :/

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So my brother's GTX 760 is having a hard time trying to do anything at the moment and it is crashing alot. Is there anything that is within the $250 for a replacement card that would be a boost in performance for him? He mostly plays in 1080p.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

So my brother's GTX 760 is having a hard time trying to do anything at the moment and it is crashing alot. Is there anything that is within the $250 for a replacement card that would be a boost in performance for him? He mostly plays in 1080p.

The 1660 or 1660 Super should be available around that price and would probably crank out double the framerate in many games at the same settings. A cheaper alternative would be a RX 580 or something like that I guess but they draw a lot more power and doesn't reach the same performance.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Half height card selection has always sucked, which is why the new gaming SFF cases from the last couple years support real video cards with risers to rotate the card 90°.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Literally anything. 1660 supers are $230 and would be a huge upgrade. But a 1650ti would also be an upgrade, or a bargain-bin 580 (here's one for $160). Whenever AMD releases their 5500 & 5600 (january?) that might be a good $200 or sub-$200 option.

If the rest of the system is the same vintage as a 760 the CPU is going to bottleneck the 1660 super. But the card would be decent if moved into a new system. The cheap sub-200 cards are better matched to a 2013 CPU, so if he's not going to do a full upgrade any time soon he might as well save some bucks.

edit for alternate possibility: open up the 760 and re-paste it. On a card that old the problems might be from the thermal compound being dry dust from age. That might keep what he's got running so he can plan an upgrade budget without having to buy something right now.

double edit:

TheFluff posted:

A cheaper alternative would be a RX 580 or something like that I guess but they draw a lot more power
a 580 draws more power than 1660s, but it should work fine in a system that supports a 760. 700s were the hot ones.

Unless the problem is actually that the PSU is from the same 2013 era and is on the way out.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 5, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

taqueso posted:

I was asking for an upgrade for a 1050ti in a SFF a couple months ago and the result was sticking with the 1050 :/

What’s your SFF case?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
You can get SFF 1650 but that's about it. Some quadriceps cards and Radeon pro cards get similarly or more powerful but they're crazy expensive. Since nobody makes SFF anymore and the GT 1030 doesn't do NVENC the 1050 holds its value.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

charity rereg posted:

quadriceps cards

Beefiest cards around.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

taqueso posted:

HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF

That one looks like it might be able to fit a standard-size GPU with some dremel action and a PCIe extension cable. A card with a narrow cooling solution, not one of the ones with 90mm fans and a shroud that sticks out an inch beyond the bracket height.

Just measure things first.

edit: actually nvm it has a 240w PSU, putting any decent video card in it would probably blow it up. Cheap office-grade PCs are not gaming boxes and can't really be made into one.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 5, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

charity rereg posted:

You can get SFF 1650 but that's about it. Some quadriceps cards and Radeon pro cards get similarly or more powerful but they're crazy expensive. Since nobody makes SFF anymore and the GT 1030 doesn't do NVENC the 1050 holds its value.

AMD over here rehashing bi-cep tech still

also that typo/autocorrect fuckup made me irrationally happy rn

definitely in the workday doldrums

Klyith posted:

That one looks like it might be able to fit a standard-size GPU with some dremel action and a PCIe extension cable. A card with a narrow cooling solution, not one of the ones with 90mm fans and a shroud that sticks out an inch beyond the bracket height.

Just measure things first.

edit: actually nvm it has a 240w PSU, putting any decent video card in it would probably blow it up. Cheap office-grade PCs are not gaming boxes and can't really be made into one.

i mean, i have a nearly identical setup already- i wasnt asking to "get into" the game, im just trying to make 2-3 more of these and was curious if anything had changed in two years

mine runs every game out there on better than console settings and cost less.

also 240w is more than enough for an i5/16/and any 75w card in my experience

E2: lol nevermind i just saw you crossed out poo poo about dremel and full power cards, yeah that wont happen. and i dont think thats what we were talking about per se.

Worf fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 5, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm totally into hacking things up and DIY but this PC is more a dev workstation than a gaming PC so :shrug: not worth it versus having a nice clean case. The card I have is dying (bought it used and it's been doing this almost the whole time I've owned it :/) and the screen goes blank occasionally so I was looking to see if there was anything better if I was to replace it. Now I'm just waiting for it to die for real since the blank screen thing is mostly not an issue (off for a second once or twice a day) when I force the card to high power mode.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’ll have to check the PSU on my dell USFF but drat it I’ll blow it up if I have to.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Why worry about it until something goes wrong? Just jump clear at the last second.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You don't have a pc maintenance suit?

(this guy's asking for it by not wearing the gloves)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They don’t wear gloves because they need the dexterity to manipulate tools like a mouse. No glove is going to save your fingers and hand anyway.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Per OSHA guidelines everything is fine as long as his body still has the shoes on when the dust settles.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

From the way Hardware Unboxed didn't talk about it in the beginning of this video, RX 5500 reviews may appear next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvxY-Jrg8A&t=67s

I wonder what went wrong with the 5600. AMD not having a competitive $250 card for much of this year was surely not intended.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Maybe they had supply/fab issues like nvidia did, but unlike nvidia, didnt decide the workaround was just releasing products in triplicate in a cycle

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://videocardz.com/newz/custom-radeon-rx-5500-xt-pictured-asrock-challenger-and-gigabyte-gaming-oc

Board partners spilling the details as per usual, generally means the launch is close. Launch has been a real mess behind the scenes apparently, and supposedly the price isn't going to be very good (someone in the comments said $179-199) to let the board vendors keep dumping 590/580s.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Drakhoran posted:

I wonder what went wrong with the 5600. AMD not having a competitive $250 card for much of this year was surely not intended.

AMD doesn't believe in consistently releasing a full lineup. eg the R7/R9 200 series was a mismash of GCN 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 parts across the lineup. Nor did it get any better with Polaris, no high-end polaris, they just moved straight on to Vega, which never got low-end cards.

The CPU lineup is better, but APUs are still consistently a generation behind, and the 2C parts (Great Horned Owl/Raven Ridge 2) just come out whenever they feel like it.

This is how AMD does GPUs. Every year they release half a lineup to replace whatever parts are the oldest/starting to stink from being rebranded too many times.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 6, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

Maybe they had supply/fab issues like nvidia did

Total 7nm fab capacity has been very limited, there's been stories about companies having to buy their production slots way in advance at TSMC. They'd probably rather keep making Ryzens where they can put the screws on Intel. A good $250 card wouldn't hurt nvidia nearly as much.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I just bought an ACER vg240y pbiip and and it looked great out of the box. The Radeon software suggested some settings which I accepted and now my monitor looks terribly washed out. The lovely $100 TN panel I have next to it has noticeable better colors. I reset both the monitor and Radeon settings to default and it hasn’t fixed it. What the hell happened?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I just bought an ACER vg240y pbiip and and it looked great out of the box. The Radeon software suggested some settings which I accepted and now my monitor looks terribly washed out. The lovely $100 TN panel I have next to it has noticeable better colors. I reset both the monitor and Radeon settings to default and it hasn’t fixed it. What the hell happened?

Try disabling HDR if that was somehow enabled in the Radeon settings or in Windows.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

That fixed it, I guess it had windows turn it on. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's annoying their software won't take no for an answer. I'm recommended both super sampling and HDR even after saying no a couple of times.