Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

wheatpuppy posted:

Will it fit the baby spaceman?

Bazinga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I particularly like how the distinctive projector headlamps are done

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
you all were not kidding about the speed champs countach. insane build

did the mclaren 2 pack right after and the non-wacky car had some frustrating bits right up in the front, the "f1" car was a blast though

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

wheatpuppy posted:

Will it fit the baby spaceman?

You mean Richard Hammond?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could buy a big bag of baby spacemen for a reasonable price so I could do a Midi scale capital ship moc with an interior and stock it full of minifigures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Jusupov posted:

You mean Richard Hammond?

:perfect:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I just picked up Cyberpunk at Home edition:

I pray it goes well...

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 14, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:3:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PowerBeard posted:

I just picked up Cyberpunk at Home edition:

I pray it goes well...

Report back! I really wanna get some of these.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
New Mandelorian set revealed. I don't normally care much for the Star Wars stuff, but this looks like such a cool build that I might actually end up keeping an eye out for it, just in case I can pick it up for a reasonable price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess they had to wait a while on revealing that one.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Another land rover thing? Wonder what scale this one is going to be.

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1635658015155036161?s=20

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well it was/is/might be back to the drawing board for my sub project. After some help and suggestions (Thank you Crab Dad) I took a look at building tecniques from other models, ordered some parts for a small trial run and it turns out this looks much more like a sub hull

I literally just did this and haven't given a lot of thought yet as to how I will make it rigid and also how to do cut-aways to where you can see what I want to show and also still be stable. The good news is that I can definitely make a better SONAR Dome with this process. I still might stick with the "blockier" look that I already have but this gives me something to think on.

Edit: Took out the extra panels on the keel and deck for a rounder look. feedback welcome and desperately needed lol

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 14, 2023

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Why. The most recent Land Rover is like 2-3 years old, a great build, and is still available (often at a discount). Does it really have a following to justify this or is it going to be another one of those COVID built-in-isolation UCS failures like the Hullbuster?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Habibi posted:

Why. The most recent Land Rover is like 2-3 years old, a great build, and is still available (often at a discount). Does it really have a following to justify this or is it going to be another one of those COVID built-in-isolation UCS failures like the Hullbuster?

Isn’t the prior one a technic kit? I didn’t care enough about technic to grab that one but if this is a creator expert car, I’m in

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Reminds me of the hyperdrive pod thing for Obi Wan’s Jedi starfighter, you could look at that and see if it offers any inspiration

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dogen posted:

Isn’t the prior one a technic kit? I didn’t care enough about technic to grab that one but if this is a creator expert car, I’m in

Yeah the previous one is Technic but due to the Land Rover’s boxy style it looks way more “complete” externally than Technic cars usually do. It’s also been sold out for months.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

Reminds me of the hyperdrive pod thing for Obi Wan’s Jedi starfighter, you could look at that and see if it offers any inspiration

Thank you! The problem I'm having right now is having a plate that is oriented properly (nubs up) connect with the "keel" which is a plate with the nubs down. Trying different approaches with modified bricks and axels with not much luck yet.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I personally found the Technic Land Rover to be a really boring build. Build the drivetrain and a Technic cage, then strap some flat panels to the outside.

Sure it has a transmission and a transfer case, but you can’t really see it do much once it’s built. And the In-line 6 engine didn’t have the best visuals either.

When I needed the space, I broke it down and gave it to a coworker, as I realized I was never going to bother with rebuilding it. I got a fairly decent discount at Costco, and didn’t want to go through the hassle of finding a buyer and shipping it somewhere.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
The price on the rumors for a "classic defender" are outrageous. Also the part count seems high so I wonder what the heck they're even going to do. (Large ECTO-1 Scale?)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I would love a proper old school Defender. The new Defender isn’t great, and the Lego version is Technic. A nice Creator version would be perfect.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
So im reading promobricks and saw the Lego Astronaut making waves again on ideas.

I'm confused how is a model that was rejected in 2021 allowed to be resubmitted for evaluation in 2023? Also somehow it got the 10k votes it needed again to make it to the next round.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/300a8850-a343-4d17-9e41-a345a70c9299

Also the building instructions / etc were already reverse engineered or sold off to a Chinese manufacturer because I have this exact kit with bootleg Lego. I thought this would be an instant rejection by the Lego team as it violates their TOS lol.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804896880885.html

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'd love a UCS Tie Defender

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lime green GT3RS Decool for CAN$166 hmm
https://www.yourwobb.com/products/decool-90089-a-b-c-the-porsche-911-gtr3-rs?variant=42229604712604

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

w00tazn posted:

So im reading promobricks and saw the Lego Astronaut making waves again on ideas.

I'm confused how is a model that was rejected in 2021 allowed to be resubmitted for evaluation in 2023? Also somehow it got the 10k votes it needed again to make it to the next round.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/300a8850-a343-4d17-9e41-a345a70c9299

Also the building instructions / etc were already reverse engineered or sold off to a Chinese manufacturer because I have this exact kit with bootleg Lego. I thought this would be an instant rejection by the Lego team as it violates their TOS lol.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804896880885.html

You can resubmit stuff. Lego even encourages it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are due for another NASA set soon. Unless they don’t think there is anything else that will sell. Maybe a giant Apollo capsule?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm still dreaming of a command service module.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

smackfu posted:

We are due for another NASA set soon. Unless they don’t think there is anything else that will sell. Maybe a giant Apollo capsule?

Soundstage with fake moon landing set

:pray:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

With an outer layer that's the actual moon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

With an outer layer that's the actual moon.

With another layer that's classic space

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Literally A Person posted:

You could do a really funny display like this using one of the old moon crater baseplates and then all the cameras and crew off the edge of it. Have a big crane with a rope holding one of the spacemen up for his "jump"

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

mastershakeman posted:

You could do a really funny display like this using one of the old moon crater baseplates and then all the cameras and crew off the edge of it. Have a big crane with a rope holding one of the spacemen up for his "jump"

Lego cashing in on that lucrative Capricorn One IP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

Well it was/is/might be back to the drawing board for my sub project. After some help and suggestions (Thank you Crab Dad) I took a look at building tecniques from other models, ordered some parts for a small trial run and it turns out this looks much more like a sub hull

I literally just did this and haven't given a lot of thought yet as to how I will make it rigid and also how to do cut-aways to where you can see what I want to show and also still be stable. The good news is that I can definitely make a better SONAR Dome with this process. I still might stick with the "blockier" look that I already have but this gives me something to think on.

Edit: Took out the extra panels on the keel and deck for a rounder look. feedback welcome and desperately needed lol

That's cool, but my two questions would be 1. why not go simpler? You could build it in 4 directions and use sloped tiles to really round out the look and end up with something much more stable and easy to build an interior in if you want and 2. Why so huge? From what I have seen, that thing is going to be way bigger than the titanic. Seems like a scale that is going to cause a lot of headaches. You could still go big, but at a more manageable scale and you'd probably save yourself a lot of hassle and probably thousands of dollars. A 2 foot long Lego sub with a 6 inch diameter is still gonna look really big and scale nicely to minifigures and give you a lot of room to play with interior details.

My biggest bit of advice is to start building from the inside out. Whether or not you go huge or not. You should probably worry about the bones before the exterior. I think taking the current approach is going to make it really hard to make a stable model.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

veni veni veni posted:

That's cool, but my two questions would be 1. why not go simpler? You could build it in 4 directions and use sloped tiles to really round out the look and end up with something much more stable and easy to build an interior in if you want and 2. Why so huge? From what I have seen, that thing is going to be way bigger than the titanic. Seems like a scale that is going to cause a lot of headaches. You could still go big, but at a more manageable scale and you'd probably save yourself a lot of hassle and probably thousands of dollars. A 2 foot long Lego sub with a 6 inch diameter is still gonna look really big and scale nicely to minifigures and give you a lot of room to play with interior details.

My biggest bit of advice is to start building from the inside out. Whether or not you go huge or not. You should probably worry about the bones before the exterior. I think taking the current approach is going to make it really hard to make a stable model.

Thank you for this post. I'm going for size because I want to make it as realistic as I remember. Of course I could make a smaller one, and I get that it would take more creativity to do it really well on a smaller scale. But I would like to do three levels and have minifigs so that is why this is way too big. Also I have time and have secured financing from COMCIVLANT to go nuts. I turned 50 last August and we couldn't do anything big for it because of schedules, so this is what I said I wanted to do.

I agree about the inside out part, and that is what I was doing with the angular build. I do like the round look of this, but agree that the other design was going to be pretty stable. I hosed around with this today on studio and it's going to be difficult to design it because I'm not very good at it yet. I have no timeframe for completion at least, so I have that going for me.

I will do some more thinking and tinkering and see what I can come up with. Again, thank you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

smackfu posted:

Hubble? Mars Rover? Voyager? Cassini-Huygens? Galileo?

And if they wanted to cast a broader net, there's Sputnik 1/2 (with Laika!), Vostok 1, Venera 7.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hubble came with the space shuttle set, they did Curiosity, but I guess they could do Perserverance. And there was an ideas set with various probes that I think never made the cut, so they probably would have done those if they had planned on it. They also keep passing on space x submissions on ideas. I'm really hoping for an Apollo CSM to go with the lunar module, but if they do another space thing it will probably be the starliner or something. :/

Or maybe they could do skylab.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hubble? Mars Rover? Voyager? Cassini-Huygens? Galileo?

And if they wanted to cast a broader net, there's Sputnik 1/2 (with Laika!), Vostok 1, Venera 7.

Lol at the idea of selling a laika set with a cute little puppy and kids going hey wait howd she come home...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

That's cool, but my two questions would be 1. why not go simpler? You could build it in 4 directions and use sloped tiles to really round out the look

I've been thinking about this as the pictures get posted and I'm not sure slopes could do the job at the scale it's being built. Maybe the 4 stud long curved slopes would be a place to start but the underlying structure would be a mess to get a proper loop at the scale needed.

If I were to attempt such a project my first approach would probably be to build loops out of technic bits and make the exterior hull out of tiles. The seams might get ugly though.

Going insanely big and making curves out of bending a wall 2x1 bricks would be the comedy option. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Skylab would be cool but I worry it's too low-profile.