Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The inventory management in fallout 4 is real bad. Open up a locker and you get your entire inventory listed. You can sort but not filter as far as I can tell, meaning if you want to make separate clothes/weapon/materials etc. crates you have to find each thing manually. The pipboy has tabs for these things, why not inventory transfer??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hector Delgado posted:

These boss fights in FF7R. I just dunno man. I play by the game's rules, engaging with its mechanics and the fights just drag on and on. Just finished the Chapter 9 tournament and that last fight had to take at least 10 minutes.
Another thing that keeps happening is when I do stagger a boss, the next bit of damage pushes it into a cutscene and phase change, canceling out the stagger. I'm going into these fights what I assume the level I'm supposed to be, not doing any grinding so it's not like my stats are too high or anything.

The combat in FF7R isn't great, and boss fights really show how bad it is.

Hector Delgado posted:

After every boss I'm wondering "Am I having fun?"

If you have to question if you're having fun, then you're not having fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

The inventory management in fallout 4 is real bad. Open up a locker and you get your entire inventory listed. You can sort but not filter as far as I can tell, meaning if you want to make separate clothes/weapon/materials etc. crates you have to find each thing manually. The pipboy has tabs for these things, why not inventory transfer??

It does. Seems like it doesn't always show the little arrows for some reason but the big MY INVENTORY header can be clicked on and/or you use the little arrows when they decide to show up.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Actually FF7R's combat rules, except for the part where if you're playing without a guide then it expects you to always be running one party member with every type of magic equipped or else you can't hit elemental weaknesses on a boss that requires them like the aforementioned arena fight in chapter 9.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

jjack229 posted:

Just finished Ori and the Blind Forest.

The escape sequences do not have any time to stop and think, many times a single mistake is death because there is not enough time to wait for a second attempt, and death means starting the entire sequence over. I think just having a checkpoint halfway through would have gone a long way, so that I didn't have to keep repeating everything just to make one attempt on the timing of a jump.

What platform did you play on? They actually added checkpoints to the escape sequences for the definitive edition on Steam (along with some QoL additions and bonus content). Probably not worth getting now you've finished the game, but I would highly recommend the sequel Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which really builds upon the first game (and addresses some of the issues).

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

grinnard posted:

What platform did you play on? They actually added checkpoints to the escape sequences for the definitive edition on Steam (along with some QoL additions and bonus content). Probably not worth getting now you've finished the game, but I would highly recommend the sequel Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which really builds upon the first game (and addresses some of the issues).

Definitive Edition on GOG. On my second attempt of the final escape, I made it past two animations (the bird closing off the path behind me) that I was certain were checkpoints, I even thought you myself "at least I made it past those checkpoints" and then was really surprised when I had to start from the beginning.

I was a little put off with that ending for Blind Forest, but Will of the Wisps was on a steep discount on Steam, so I still bought it. Glad to hear that it fixes some of those problems.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evilreaver posted:

I feel like Valheim's method is the best I have come across, as the skill loss isn't suuuper meaningful but your skill levels can kinda act as a 'high score'. I did manage to softlock myself once by dying on a mountain and respawning on a safehouse I had made on the mountain too far in to escape (for the unaware, mountain biomes are too cold to survive without a warm cloak that drops on death, I couldn't live long enough to get my body nor run out of the biome). I was eventually rescued by a friend (and the softlock was kinda my fault so I'll give it a pass).
Smash your bed and kill you are self, you'll reappear at the game starting area.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the obvious thing is that it should take away a bonus, not provide a penalty. like you get a % bonus to experience points based on how many you've earned without dying, or something
Yeah, something like that could be good. I like death to be scary but I don't like death to be tedious. I play games to have fun, scary death is fun, but tedious death isn't. Games that make death undesirable but also fun include games like roguelites or FPS's with between death progression where you don't want to die on any particular run but even each death is still moving forward. XP or permanent item loss (or non-permanent but tedious to recover item loss) on death are the antithesis of this but they're the only ones I'm aware of people applying to the persistent world, persistent character combo.

Basically the biggest sin a game can do is to make you feel like you wish you hadn't played that session at all, but that seems to be the industry standard :shrug:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I had the opposite experience of you guys. I had fun with Minecraft a ton, especially playing with my kids when they were younger, although I wouldn't really play it today. Terraria on the other hand I finally tried after being excited from everything I heard about a year ago when I got gamepass. It was the hottest of garbage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I had the opposite experience of you guys. I had fun with Minecraft a ton, especially playing with my kids when they were younger, although I wouldn't really play it today. Terraria on the other hand I finally tried after being excited from everything I heard about a year ago when I got gamepass. It was the hottest of garbage.
Signs of Life is Terraria++

e: unless you're explicitly in terraria for the NPC management in which case no

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I know it's not going to be out for a long while, but in the RE4 remake, where the gently caress is Salazar's jaunty hat?!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OutOfPrint posted:

I know it's not going to be out for a long while, but in the RE4 remake, where the gently caress is Salazar's jaunty hat?!

Sadly, they gave Mendez a new one before realizing that the game's hat budget was cripplingly limited.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weirdly I would expect hats to be like, a difficult asset in the RE Engine. Outside of the tall lady I can't think of any I've seen in the series.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've got back into Minecraft recently and its way better than I remember it being a couple of years ago, the level of variety they've built up at this point makes exploring a genuine pleasure. Interesting caves, biomes and giant structures are much, much more frequent and it seems a lot more generous with its resources. Trudging off into the wilderness dropping torches to find your way home really feels evocative at this point, there's always something new to see.

On the creeper note, one thing I wish they'd fix is the cancel for the hissing sound effect. The distinctive sound they make as they're about to explode keeps playing long after you've killed one. In practice, you learn to ignore it, but 1 in 10 times there is actually a second creeper behind you about to explode and you couldn't tell the difference, which is a very frustrating way to take high damage/get knocked off a cliff/die.

To the dude above having trouble, light up everything that's pitch black so they cant spawn near you, watch your six (block off behind you at key points) and prioritise diamond armor. Skeletons are way, way more annoying in my opinion, one of those bastards can hide across the other side of a dark cave and knock you to your doom with relative ease. Two or three of them at once from different angles quickly becomes a game of ping pong.

RGX has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Oct 30, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Weirdly I would expect hats to be like, a difficult asset in the RE Engine. Outside of the tall lady I can't think of any I've seen in the series.

There was also Mr. X, whose shootable hat physics also used up the hat budget for his game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm noticing a pattern with wide, flatter brims

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

mind the walrus posted:

RE Engine is also what they built DMC 5 on, where a hat is literally a weapon.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

jjack229 posted:

Definitive Edition on GOG. On my second attempt of the final escape, I made it past two animations (the bird closing off the path behind me) that I was certain were checkpoints, I even thought you myself "at least I made it past those checkpoints" and then was really surprised when I had to start from the beginning.

I was a little put off with that ending for Blind Forest, but Will of the Wisps was on a steep discount on Steam, so I still bought it. Glad to hear that it fixes some of those problems.

My thing dragging Will Of The Wisps down is that it replaces the wonderful escape sequences with boss fights, but it's better than Blind Forest in just about every other way. Including the ending, which was one of the few discordant notes Blind Forest hit with me. I couldn't see a moral other than "if someone really powerful kills your children then you should just live with it, because we need the really powerful figure more than we need you" which is a bit bizarre as morals go

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Splicer posted:

Smash your bed and kill you are self, you'll reappear at the game starting area.

how does one do this with no tools, you absolute fool of a poster, you clown

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

mind the walrus posted:

I'm noticing a pattern with wide, flatter brims

The power of a wizard can be determined by the brim of his hat. Sombreroesque? Powerful mage. No brim at all? That's a gnome you're looking at

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mendez fully embracing his true inner Rasputin, in that case.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

The power of a wizard can be determined by the brim of his hat. Sombreroesque? Powerful mage. No brim at all? That's a gnome you're looking at

You are correct, a lack of brim signifies a complete lack of magical capabilities in gnome culture. All gnomes with simple, brimless hats can (and should) be disregarded as nonmagical, non-threatening folk. Pay them no attention at all! :keke:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Splicer posted:

Yeah, something like that could be good. I like death to be scary but I don't like death to be tedious. I play games to have fun, scary death is fun, but tedious death isn't. Games that make death undesirable but also fun include games like roguelites or FPS's with between death progression where you don't want to die on any particular run but even each death is still moving forward. XP or permanent item loss (or non-permanent but tedious to recover item loss) on death are the antithesis of this but they're the only ones I'm aware of people applying to the persistent world, persistent character combo.

Basically the biggest sin a game can do is to make you feel like you wish you hadn't played that session at all, but that seems to be the industry standard :shrug:

A long time ago I had an idea for an appropriate death penalty in WoW PvP that I thought would work, but apparently no one has considered: locational debuffs. You would incurr significant stacking debuffs the closer you got to where you died, ending in death if you got too close, and if you died in that area again, the area of the debuffs increased. The debuff area would dissipate over time.

Basically, once you died, you just had to go spend time doing some other ingame activity.

I think something similar might work where you're talking about.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mendez fully embracing his true inner Rasputin, in that case.

His new boss theme now features upbeat lyrics about how much he fucks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Evilreaver posted:

Oh so that’s why they call him big hat Logan

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

It does. Seems like it doesn't always show the little arrows for some reason but the big MY INVENTORY header can be clicked on and/or you use the little arrows when they decide to show up.

This game is so terribly laid out wtf

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The ranking system on GeoGuessr is annoying, there are 4 divisions: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Master. The game rigidly matches you with players in your division unless it's really quiet but beyond that doesn't care about putting people close in skill within their division together. I ripped through Silver, coming first or second in pretty much every game because most people in mid/low silver can't tell, say, Portuguese from Spanish, Japanese from Korean or know which hemisphere they're in from where the sun is when that's possible. I've gone from that to hitting an absolute brick wall in Gold since I'm now playing with people who know they're in northern Lesotho from ten seconds of looking at a back road so I'm yo-yoing like crazy.

e: Case in point, having being relegated for not being close enough to an African back road early doors, I found myself in a silver division game where despite appearing right next to a large sign saying 'Governo do Brasil', several players guessed countries other than Brazil, including Paraguay which has no streetview coverage. The gap between divisions is a chasm.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Oct 31, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I bought the RE3 remake on sale after really enjoying RE2 and it is just really rough. It's weird because on paper "RE2-style game with a greater combat focus" sounds great, but in practice not so much. There's some interesting ideas, like how Jill now has a dodge button, but the timing for the dodge to be successful is very spotty and it's unclear to know when to actually do it.

The Nemesis also just seems way, way worse than Mr. X in the one segment where it's tracking you down through the downtown. He just knows where you are at all times and it's very transparent, there isn't a whole lot of tension involved, he just makes exploring during that one brief moment a massive pain in the rear end. His boss in front of the clock tower also suuuuucks, he just seems to have maybe twice the health he ought to have and the fight just goes and goes.

I've also been stunlocked to death or near-death a number of times both by Nemesis and just random enemies, there doesn't really seem to be anything stopping a zombie starting its canned attack animation as soon as another zombie's animation ends. I don't really remember that ever happening in RE2, but it might be because there's seemingly so many more enemies in a given room.

I dunno, I just find the game kind of irritating to play. It's not at all how I figured I'd feel about it going into it, especially after the first 45 minutes or so was solid.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Walton Simons posted:

The ranking system on GeoGuessr is annoying, there are 4 divisions: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Master. The game rigidly matches you with players in your division unless it's really quiet but beyond that doesn't care about putting people close in skill within their division together. I ripped through Silver, coming first or second in pretty much every game because most people in mid/low silver can't tell, say, Portuguese from Spanish, Japanese from Korean or know which hemisphere they're in from where the sun is when that's possible. I've gone from that to hitting an absolute brick wall in Gold since I'm now playing with people who know they're in northern Lesotho from ten seconds of looking at a back road so I'm yo-yoing like crazy.

There's a competitive ranking system for geoguesser? Do you play matchups against people?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Yeah, I always play the distance battle royale, where you get a minute per round and whoever is furthest away gets knocked out each round. There's other modes I haven't tried, it's good fun but like all online games it gets very sweaty once you start taking it halfway seriously. There's a guy I watch on Youtube called Geowizard who is really really good at it and it blows my mind that he's nowhere near the top competitive players.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Enemy sight lines in XCOM 2 are pretty poorly conveyed. There's usually like big red tiles that go BONG if you mouse over them and tell you where an enemy can see. But also sometimes that doesn't count and if your dude can see a dude they can see you. Also sometimes enemies just get free movement because you see them, then they shuffle a bit, then see you because now you're in the red sight tile. And it's all pretty superfluous because aside from one specific class, the steath mechanics in this game feel largely redundant because you can't really do much at all without being detected, and then once you are detected that's just kind of it. Aside from the tiny handful of missions with super short time restrictions, it feels like there's no real downside to just going in guns blazing every time, nor any upside to managing to stealth everything if you can. In fact, if anything there's a downside because if you get objectives and get out without murdering everyone then you don't get sick loot for all your murder.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Asking me if I want to lower the difficulty after dying a couple times should be a federal crime.

Also shut the gently caress up and let me figure out how to solve a puzzle. Why does the main character of every modern game have to vocalize "hmm. I wonder if there are any buttons I should push to get through here?" or some poo poo the second I set foot in a room with a puzzle?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

2house2fly posted:

Including the ending, which was one of the few discordant notes Blind Forest hit with me. I couldn't see a moral other than "if someone really powerful kills your children then you should just live with it, because we need the really powerful figure more than we need you" which is a bit bizarre as morals go

I didn't see that as the message. It was a tragic tale but one that showed that becoming a vengeful force against something and everything attached to it creates more death and destruction without solving anything, including helping your sorrow. Did every creature around deserve to die because of this event?

Like, it's hard to say what should be done, because it's really more like a force of nature causing the death of your children, and then destroying it and having everyone suffer for your rage and sorrow.

bossy lady posted:

Also shut the gently caress up and let me figure out how to solve a puzzle. Why does the main character of every modern game have to vocalize "hmm. I wonder if there are any buttons I should push to get through here?" or some poo poo the second I set foot in a room with a puzzle?

Oh the answer to that is easy, it's because gamers can be real dumb and killing the pace of what are typically action-filled games is very undesirable for a lot of people playing the games (not all, obviously) and also for the people making the games.

It's like, the same reason there are forced tutorials. Because for everyone who knows how to equip a weapon or setting there'll be someone who wonders why their rusty sword isn't enough to take down the dragonlord.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Oct 31, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The real thing dragging a game down is in Death Stranding, you can use a urinal or a toilet and have your bodily waste extracted to create either a #1 or #2 type grenade to damage ghost enemies, respectively. The problem is, when you use the sit-down toilet, you don't get material for both types of grenades, as you would expect from real-life experience. That's not how anatomical sphincters work! What the hell are you even doing, Kojima?! :arghfist:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bossy lady posted:

Asking me if I want to lower the difficulty after dying a couple times should be a federal crime.

How do you feel about the chicken hat from MGSV?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Captain Hygiene posted:

The real thing dragging a game down is in Death Stranding, you can use a urinal or a toilet and have your bodily waste extracted to create either a #1 or #2 type grenade to damage ghost enemies, respectively. The problem is, when you use the sit-down toilet, you don't get material for both types of grenades, as you would expect from real-life experience. That's not how anatomical sphincters work! What the hell are you even doing, Kojima?! :arghfist:

The worst part about that is that the keybindings for Toilet (standing) and Toilet (sitting) are not 1 and 2, and they really should be.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bossy lady posted:

I always wonder about that. I know for me I never turn it down, it just makes me stick with it out of spite.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

it's all chiral material. it all gets glommed together into the type 2 grenade. you think Deadman's hanging out by the sewage outflow with a little net to seperate everything out?

besides sam only consumes tardigrades, monster energy drink and beer - he's not passing anything solid.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

bossy lady posted:

God, for real. That second point gets even more annoying when the actual steps you need to do take a while. Like once I'm climbing up the statue to swing over to the block I need to push, there's an NPC shouting at me "I think we need something heavy to press this button!" and by the time I get to the rope to swing over to the block they're shouting "I don't see anything we can use to press this button down here!" and then while I'm slowly pushing the block they're shouting "oh, I think I see something up on that platform! Can you go check it out?" Yeah dude, I figured it out like 5 minutes ago! Thanks!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bossy lady posted:

The worst is when it's an environmental thing that's instant killing you and the difficulty doesn't matter.

Looking at you God of War 1. Setting the game to easy doesn't suddenly make the escape from Hades easy

Morpheus posted:

It's like, the same reason there are forced tutorials. Because for everyone who knows how to equip a weapon or setting there'll be someone who wonders why their rusty sword isn't enough to take down the dragonlord.

Also even the gamers that think they know everything end up needing tutorials or they end up on the internet complaining about the game being hard and confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Len posted:

Also even the gamers that think they know everything end up needing tutorials or they end up on the internet complaining about the game being hard and confusing

This is something I was wondering about fallout 4. Apart from the inventory stuff I mentioned before, I had to look up online how to get out of power armor and go into the settings to find the VATS button (a goon told me it was available from the start, i thought maybe I had to unlock it) and these questions made me wonder if i'd accidentally skipped a bunch of tutorial