Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i don't think anyone is literally shoving linkara into a locker so i think we're in the clear here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think anyone literally thinks linkara should be shoved into a locker

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i do

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Actionable threat, very troubling…

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Endorph posted:

i dont think anyone literally thinks linkara should be shoved into a locker

Of course he would.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do you know what jokes are

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The fact that my high school struggled to reach a baseline of 'average' across every class probably has something to do with it but my memories of it are that some kids had band classes and some kids had theater or drama but it wasn't at all 100% of their personality like every skit making youtube essayist apparently.

I dunno if people just have a different more vicious breed of theater kid in their states, roaming gangs of theater kids tying people to the hoods of their cars and throwing molotovs through stores and doing wheelies through the Ball of Death out in Oklahoma and Washington and none of that spread to North Carolina or what but it never really got that bad from my experience.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

RareAcumen posted:

The fact that my high school struggled to reach a baseline of 'average' across every class probably has something to do with it but my memories of it are that some kids had band classes and some kids had theater or drama but it wasn't at all 100% of their personality like every skit making youtube essayist apparently.

I dunno if people just have a different more vicious breed of theater kid in their states, roaming gangs of theater kids tying people to the hoods of their cars and throwing molotovs through stores and doing wheelies through the Ball of Death out in Oklahoma and Washington and none of that spread to North Carolina or what but it never really got that bad from my experience.

Well, like I said, I spent my childhood and teenage years in care, and was made to live at a special school after I was diagnosed with high-functioning autism (or Aspergers syndrome) as a child. And this was in England, back in the mid-90s, where people just threw everyone together in the same place and didn't bother to understand them, just keep them under control.

So yeah, I think maybe my high school years were a bit worse than yours.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The truth is you can have people empathize with your life and struggles but you can’t expect everyone to change because of them. They are your struggles and issues.

I’ve foolishly tried too so this bc I’m broken as hell but it shocks me every time because why should someone change for me?

This thread isn’t for you. This is a thread making fun of YouTubers. That’s the point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

Well, like I said, I spent my childhood and teenage years in care, and was made to live at a special school after I was diagnosed with high-functioning autism (or Aspergers syndrome) as a child. And this was in England, back in the mid-90s, where people just threw everyone together in the same place and didn't bother to understand them, just keep them under control.

bro were you just waiting to unload this because that was an incredibly innocuous post to dump that on because he was just talking about the 'big theater kid energy' posts not the bullying stuff

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm watching a guy explaining a book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkuMGwwoUWM

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CelticPredator posted:

The truth is you can have people empathize with your life and struggles but you can’t expect everyone to change because of them. They are your struggles and issues.

I’ve foolishly tried too so this bc I’m broken as hell but it shocks me every time because why should someone change for me?

This thread isn’t for you. This is a thread making fun of YouTubers. That’s the point

I wasn't expecting people to empathize with my life and struggles. I would like people to do that, but I assume that nobody here cares about such things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh I can empathize.
Speaking as one who got bullied and never saw whats so fun about bullying
(mocking those who have done a clear wrong, thats different)

And I would argue that this is not just a thread for mocking youtubers or else why do people recommend good videos?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I had to go check and yes, this is actually longer than the ChessMaster one where he just left at the end a chess move with the opponent AI setting cranked to max.

I wouldn't say that Linkara is Less Successful than Quinton: He's not necessarily in the lips of everyone nowadays, but he still enjoys a steady viewership and didn't have to change much about his work to keep going. There are Twitch streamers and smaller youtubers that don't go to cons to do events just to be with fans that still enjoy a somewhat steady business. It's like saying that 3Blue1Brown is a failure bc he no longer has a gazillion kids on Covid-19 confiment to go watch his vids.

I don't know, I think I can be a bit peeved about Quinton saying that not bc of people "going to sleep to his voice", but because he filmed and paced it in such a droning way. The closest thing to "Here is this very heavy change of pace where a different point is being made" was with the content warning for the McHeardy book. Other people don't pace long videos like this or at least bother to punctuate different points with different video editing or sound cues. People aren't gonna go do that with something like a Noah Gervais vid because... see all of those chapter ends? The way how its paced? You're not going up to just one ziggurat of Nickleodeon summaries, you're going up a mountain with places to look at see. The skits at least help!

(Gonna be a bit sassy here: I tried watching the 20-minute video from Internet Shaquille where he tries to understand the appeal of long videos and I was trying to be nice about it because I dismissed him after he put out a video crying about twitter being mean to "If you stop eating avocado toast you'll have retirement funds" articles like 4 years ago. It didn't take long for him to start showing that side, but adding a "If you look forward to videos online... you are killing the inner child in you that would be thrilled to see... raindrops merge.... on the windshield..." was the dumbest thing I've heard in a good while on such a video.)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 29, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

What? Read the OP. This is a thread for recommending and sharing content creator stuff. That youtuber drama takes up more space than it should is a perennial problem.

PYF is that way

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Annointed posted:

By the way has anything happened witth MamaMax? Last I heard his entire subreddit left him, his friends left him and no news from Patreon regarding being investigated by the FBI for possession of child sexual abuse material.

My guess would be he’s going to lay low and try to come back so no news for a while until he makes a terrible apology everyone hates.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sorry to tell you but this thread is a YouTube drama laughing zone with the occasional video rec

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I like how nobody has really defended Linkara on the merits of his content, mostly just on the basis of the mockery he's sustained over the years. I have watched a decent amount of his stuff, both when I was a teenager and relatively recently just to see how it holds up. He does have some positives, like an impressive work ethic to upload on a nearly weekly basis for over 15 years at this point. And I do actually think his retrospective videos about stuff he likes are informative enough and do a good job of explaining why things are meaningful to him. Past that though, he's just really good at being insufferable with only the lightest prodding over a contentious topic (his ideas on sexism being the most well known).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I like that he fills a niche, handled his issues with his work well and is probably one of the more considerate people from that milieu. I... Wouldn't go out of my way nowadays to go watch his stuff, but I see him as the comics equivalent of Deceased Crab.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I used to really like DeceasedCrab, but finding out what a prick he could be to people in private (and publicly with his overly stringent grammar policies for his comment section) really shattered my image of him and made it hard to take his persona as anything other than fakery. Although that video where he melted down over the pronunciation of "Kitsune" almost works on an avant garde level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dangerous Person posted:

Way late but it's insane that Quinton hates when people use his videos for background noise because the only time I ever see anybody talk positively about his channel is about how his videos are great to put on in the background

It's weird for him to complain about it since he used to make actually good (and much shorter) videos with substance to them. His series about the History Channel and its degradation was good stuff.

It's also weird to complain because he must've made bank off those long rear end videos people put on as background noise. If I made a long rear end video summarizing all the episodes of Deadwood and people said they liked it as background noise I wouldn't complain because I'd be paying off my mortgage.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 29, 2024

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
lol this thread forever

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

oh my god, 1990s england. how ever did you survive

quote:

oh? should we compare lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

On this extra special episode of Online Creators V...

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

young dumb and full of... you know ;)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

oh my god, 1990s england. how ever did you survive

oh? should we compare lol

Do you really want the answer to that?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

lol this thread forever

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

Do you really want the answer to that?

im ribbing you, i would never be so crass as to utilize my personal childhood misfortunes to win a forums argument over linkara....guess youre different tho ...

e: like to be clear, i was making a point that assuming you know how any of us grew up based on posting vibes and how mad you are at that given moment is an infantile approach to coping with people disagreeing with you.. grow up

fun hater fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 29, 2024

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

im ribbing you, i would never be so crass as to utilize my personal childhood misfortunes to win a forums argument over linkara....guess youre different tho ...

I haven't watched Linkara in ages. I used to enjoy his stuff, but that was years ago.

I don't think he's really changed that much at all, though.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

I haven't watched Linkara in ages. I used to enjoy his stuff, but that was years ago.

I don't think he's really changed that much at all, though.

i literally do not care

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Good for you.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Did the dark id die of cancer yet

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Spaced God posted:

im working on it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spaced God posted:

So many fun things came out of that, like the story of him meeting his "wife" in a shootout copied from Mr. & Mrs. Smith or his daughter - who was like a Getty Images model - turning 14 twice. I missed so much coming so late to SA.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

cumpantry posted:

young dumb and full of... you know ;)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Sorry to tell you but this thread is a YouTube drama laughing zone with the occasional video rec

This only happened because someone compared Quintin to Linkara, and Linkara has several deeply and consistently funny things to reference.
Like if someone says "Linkara" and you don't jump to "Shopping on Amerzon, talking to Herman," I don't know how you got here

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 29, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

So many fun things came out of that, like the story of him meeting his "wife" in a shootout copied from Mr. & Mrs. Smith or his daughter - who was like a Getty Images model - turning 14 twice. I missed so much coming so late to SA.

I don't know he got away with it so long. I hadn't heard anything about him and before any of that poo poo got posted in the various threads about him someone in a discord channel I'm in posted a screenshot of his cancer announcement right after he made it and I knew it was phony just how it was written.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grondoth posted:

This only happened because someone compared Quintin to Linkara, and Linkara has several deeply and consistently funny things to reference.
Like if someone says "Linkara" and you don't jump to "Shopping on Amerzon, talking to Herman," I don't know how you got here

1800 pages of nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I used to really like DeceasedCrab, but finding out what a prick he could be to people in private (and publicly with his overly stringent grammar policies for his comment section) really shattered my image of him and made it hard to take his persona as anything other than fakery. Although that video where he melted down over the pronunciation of "Kitsune" almost works on an avant garde level.

I helped a bit on that because I told him not to worry about it too much by bringing up how the first romanization of japanese words was made by the portuguese in the 1600's. You show us something like "Vocabvlario da Lingoa de Iapam" in the 2020's and you go "Oh. Oh that explains things."