Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, they did?

Yes, casuals liked BRD before the changes that were in HW and they got rid of cast bars to bring them back, from what I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kwyndig posted:

Yes, casuals liked BRD before the changes that were in HW and they got rid of cast bars to bring them back, from what I understand.

Not just that they hated the playstyle change, it was also done because casuals were having too hard a time adjusting to it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Praise be to casuals, may they ever ruin that which sucks and is horseshit and keep my dumb anime game from tanking like Wildstar.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the idea of this guy signing up for progression raiding to get a ring with More Ideal Substats who says he hates it, but for some reason needs to have The Best Numbers for content that he wouldn't even be doing if he wasn't trying to get a ring he didn't need, is insane.
You assume I've signed up for any progression raiding outside Coil of Bahamut :v:

I don't even care that much about BIS, since I know that it's not necessary outside of Savage but being chumped out of maximum ilvl because rings are Unique Yet You Get Two Ring Slots is something I find annoying. I just hope they continue to do stuff like with the Proto-Ultima accessories. (Edit: or even better, not having rings being Unique because now they don't have to be.)

I mean, I don't like to be reminded of my inner 12 year old every time I look at my gear screen and see 'ilvl *69' on it.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 23, 2017

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm actually kinda pissed that they got rid of both the bowmage and cast times from machinist. 3.0 BRD and MCH are hands down my two favourite MMO classes ever, even if Bard is clunky. I liked maximizing my movement in this game, where AoE's are very methodological, following patterns and lacking "unnecessary" random elements in that you can plan ahead and maximize DPS with holding onto combo procs and stutter stepping and using your abilities right. WoW is completely different in this respect in encounter design where it feels there's poo poo ton of random AoE added absolutely everywhere. Dodging AoEs felt meaty with both of these classes and I felt it rewarded playing both classes and encounters well.

I don't like BLM's aesthetic at all but I may start looking at it to main it or Red Mage instead. I am a bit of a DPS whore and BRD/MCH will probably eat a DPS tax because of their added mobility unless they come up with a way of rewarding players for using certain abilities while standing still ("buff stack" while standing still?) and not having any penalty for using other abilities while moving to weave between the two. Doubt it, though, and most of the 2.0 bards here probably would hate that, while I personally loving hate 2.0 bard.

I wish they had kept MCH as it is and made the change just to Bard, honestly. Could've swapped between the jobs when necessary too. Alternatively I can hope that the new mechanics are interesting so I don't have to change my main job.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

i don't really know how we're quantifying 'casuals' because both of BRDs gimmicks (dot tracking and lots of ogcds) do not scream 'casual friendly' to me.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Holy poo poo Im going to play RDM and do kickass flips off my sword and cast ALL THE SPELLS! :allears:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pre-WM, bards can run around like headless chickens and still fight "normally" in all respects. That made them the mechanics bitch in all difficult content, but if you're just running roulettes and outdated primals not having to care about your own positioning is nice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Failboattootoot posted:

I went back and rewatched the ability video because I am hype as hell and I noticed something interesting during the nin segment. I noticed that when the nin drops that field that lets them do multiple ninjutsus they were actually only doing 1 mudra between each of them. So they did 1 mudra then fuma, another mudra then katon, and another mudra than suiton. So you have to be able to chain your mudras properly in order to trigger the 3 ninjutsus you want. This is a cool rear end fuckin skill if it works how I think it does. It will also be a complete nightmare for the less good ninjas. Expect to see a bunch of fuma hyoton doton combos from people who don't just botch it and rabbit immediately.

Yeah, that was the thing that had me going crazy. It wasn't just no cooldown, it was that they were single mudra inputs. I can tell that the NIN opener (which I only just learned how to pull off most of the time) is going to be pretty dang different, but I'm okay with that. More rapid fire ninja moves and giant frog attack.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It was a bit of a letdown that you still have to choose a limited number of the cross-role abilities, instead of just getting them. It looks like there's enough good ones that you'll have to sacrifice some fun or flavour ones for a few mandatory ones.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thought: Did anyone notice if they fixed Quick Nock and Wide Volley being the same drat skill with different targetting? Like, at minimum, the two should be clones of Spread Shot and Grenado, if only to actually drive a decision on the why and when to use each in its own time.

A thing that was noticed. Storm's Edge and Maim appear to have swapped their effects. Also, thank god for job-agnostic debuff icons being used instead of the mishmash of wtfever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what use is that? a very slight dps increase during openers?

even if maim now gives the target the se debuff and se gives the maim dmg amp, it's really not changing much.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 23, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, but it does force WAR to be the slashing debuff bitch, if they want to get the 10% damage increase effect. Which is a foregone conclusion.

There's even less reason for WAR not to do it, because it would take 3 GCDs for a NIN, but only 2 for WAR.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Thought: Did anyone notice if they fixed Quick Nock and Wide Volley being the same drat skill with different targetting? Like, at minimum, the two should be like Spread Shot and Grenado.

I didn't notice but there's a third ability that works like Grenado already for BRD, and it used to be spammable before they made it share a cooldown with Bloodletter. No idea if they walked that back either but probably not. Hopefully they just eliminated one of the two weaponskills because as it stands you don't need both.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah the only uses for Wide Volley were for when you weren't close enough to use Quick Nock effectively while stutterstepping due to WM or if you're a pubbie who wants to burn his TP faster.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You will take away Rain of Death from my BRD brothers and sisters over my dead body.

No, Rain of Death occupies the "Bloodletter proc! But I'm DPSing a large pack..." niche.

I'm talking about literally, Quick Nock and Wide Volley doing the same Potency damage, with Wide Volley having a 20 TP higher cost, and the only differentiator between the two is that Wide Volley is Targetted AoE, while Quick Nock is a cone.

The armchair game dev that is me thinks that Quick Nock should be like Spread shot: 130 TP, 100 potency cone. Wide Volley should be like Grenado: 160 TP, 120 potency. You'd use the latter when you've got buffs rolling, and the former when you don't.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 23, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, but it does force WAR to be the slashing debuff bitch, if they want to get the 10% damage increase effect. Which is a foregone conclusion.

There's even less reason for WAR not to do it, because it would take 3 GCDs for a NIN, but only 2 for WAR.

there was never a reason for warrior to not apply the debuff, though. storm's path is barely used and not having 100 pct uptime on maim is a huge dps loss, so you're always reapplying eye whenever you're refreshing maim.

i guess this gives war a party-wide damage amp pretty early at the cost of some personal dps?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Thought: Did anyone notice if they fixed Quick Nock and Wide Volley being the same drat skill with different targetting? Like, at minimum, the two should be clones of Spread Shot and Grenado, if only to actually drive a decision on the why and when to use each in its own time.

when yoship switched to bard while talking about the role action stuff i saw wide volley on his bar but not quick nock, they might've just gotten rid of it

e: wait i might have the two names backwards b/c theyr'e that interchangeable, i saw the cone AoE but not the gcd circle AoE

i'm kinda disappointed they didn't go deeper into bard stuff, with casting times gone we have no idea what that new wanderer's does and i suspect the other two songs we saw on the UI have been changed too since they mentioned song names being changed around

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey, so one thing I did notice is that all songs have what looks like a 30 second duration with possibly a mechanic to extend it... I much prefer that over having to watch MP and guessing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dessel posted:

I'm actually kinda pissed that they got rid of both the bowmage and cast times from machinist. 3.0 BRD and MCH are hands down my two favourite MMO classes ever, even if Bard is clunky. I liked maximizing my movement in this game, where AoE's are very methodological, following patterns and lacking "unnecessary" random elements in that you can plan ahead and maximize DPS with holding onto combo procs and stutter stepping and using your abilities right. WoW is completely different in this respect in encounter design where it feels there's poo poo ton of random AoE added absolutely everywhere. Dodging AoEs felt meaty with both of these classes and I felt it rewarded playing both classes and encounters well.

I don't like BLM's aesthetic at all but I may start looking at it to main it or Red Mage instead. I am a bit of a DPS whore and BRD/MCH will probably eat a DPS tax because of their added mobility unless they come up with a way of rewarding players for using certain abilities while standing still ("buff stack" while standing still?) and not having any penalty for using other abilities while moving to weave between the two. Doubt it, though, and most of the 2.0 bards here probably would hate that, while I personally loving hate 2.0 bard.

I wish they had kept MCH as it is and made the change just to Bard, honestly. Could've swapped between the jobs when necessary too. Alternatively I can hope that the new mechanics are interesting so I don't have to change my main job.

Admittedly I only just got WM recently and haven't done much other than practice my rotation while doing msq/aggroing random stuff in the field, but I agree. Actually getting my hands on the skill (and EA/Jaws) changed the playstyle way more than just restricting movement, and it was something I looked forward to learning despite how intimidating it turned out to be. Though I also trust that they wouldn't remove it without a good replacement, and the job UI does hint at there being something more to the different songs (those UI pips). I guess in the meantime I just ditch the job because it feels really bad to learn something that's going to be irrelevant soon, but I don't want to ignore it while playing when it costs me so much damage and utility.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Learn and become powerful at bowmagic, you will always have the memories

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

Hey, so one thing I did notice is that all songs have what looks like a 30 second duration with possibly a mechanic to extend it... I much prefer that over having to watch MP and guessing.

All of them also seemed to have an effect on the dummy in the Job Action's video. So it might be that BRD's now also able to do the thing that MCH already does (one song does physical debuff, another foes, the third has something else?)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just hit my first world is full queue since resubbing last month. Guess the live letter has everyone excited.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I get peeved when there's a WAR in the party who doesn't do the thing. I know by how quickly good WARs overrule my Dancing Edge that they can do it with a lot less hassle. Help out!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Nerded out in a linkshell channel over samurai, decided to shitpost here too.

Someone over on reddit posted a bunch of translated Sam tooltips. I have no real way to verify their accuracy but what is said does seem to line up with what is shown in the videos. Samurais seem to have 3 skill types: weaponskills that generate kenki (the katana meter) and sen (the little tokens that light up), Hissatsuken abilities which are all kenki spenders, and sen spenders which have been referred to as Iai and are the castbar moves. They probably also have more mundane stuff like ogcd attacks and buffs and whatever but set that aside. Let's start with the weaponskills. Assuming that all of the weaponskills were shown, the samurai has 3 primary combos:

Hakaze -> Yukikaze (10% slashing debuff for 30 seconds and generates a Snow sen). 2 hits.

Hakaze -> Jinpu (10% increased damage for 30 seconds) -> Gekko (generates a Moon sen). 3 hits.

Hakaze -> Shifu (10% increased attack speed buff for 30 seconds)-> Kasha (generates a Flower sen). 3 hits.

Some of these skills might do other stuff too, I'm just working off what was shown. All of these weaponskills will generate some amount of Kenki which can be spent on... spenders. The 2 spenders translated both have a 1 second recast time but after watching the video again they don't seem to be off the gcd. They are pretty good though! 150 potency ae for one, 300 potency single target for another. Both cost 25 kenki to use and weaponskills seem to default to generating 5 kenki but some generate more based on meeting conditions (Gekko grants 10 kenki if done from the rear for example).

Sen spenders are some loving poo poo. I'm just going to paste both here because :tviv:

Tenka Goken (Cast Weaponskill | Range: 8y | Radius: 8y)
Delivers an attack with a potency of 360 to all enemies in a cone before you. 10% less damage is dealt to the second enemy, 20% for the third, 30% for the fourth, 40% for the fifth, and 50% for all remaining enemies.

Midare Setsugekka (Cast Weaponskill | Range: 3y)
Delivers an attack with a potency of 720.

I am 100% main switching to Sam because seeing 720 potency both crit and direct hit is the most erotic concept I have ever encountered.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 23, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Damnit yoship, while I am very down for making samurai my second class in SB, stop giving my static reasons to chant "delete monk" at me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Midare Setsugekka (Cast Weaponskill | Range: 3y)
Delivers an attack with a potency of 720.

Ah, nearly as much as one Berserk'd Fell Cleave right now. :v:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ah, nearly as much as one Berserk'd Fell Cleave right now. :v:

Berserk got nerfed from 50% to 30% so your sass falls on deaf ears!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Can't wait to check PF to see that every party wants 4 SAMs.

Since I'll be able to get into all of them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oooh my god all these changes are solid gold I can't wait to shoot missiles at people

though I actually think my favorite thing may be machinists getting loving minority report holoscreens

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

As a MCH main, I for one am buttmad that they're taking away gauss/minuet because nothing pissed me off more in 2.0 than FATEs full of bards getting aggro and running around like spastic little fucks. So now my own precious baby job is about to get the same reputation.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Failboattootoot posted:

Can Samurai doe 6 Midare Setsugekkas in a row? Because judging by the mechanics as they stand Warriors can do 6 Fell Cleaves in a row :colbert:.

Blockhouse posted:

oooh my god all these changes are solid gold I can't wait to shoot missiles at people

though I actually think my favorite thing may be machinists getting loving minority report holoscreens

Scholar are getting those as well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

Can't wait to check PF to see that every party wants 4 SAMs.

Since I'll be able to get into all of them.

And they'll all have Available Roles: PLD, MRD, DRK, SCH, AST, WHM. :v:

Edit: wait, that's :thejoke:

Other possibility: they'll all be soar skip parties that want 4 SAM's (and still fail.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 23, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Fortunately it looks like the cooldown is also being reduced to 60 seconds and the pacification is getting removed. Not gonna be as bursty, but it will also line up perfectly with the deliverance counterpart of unchained, which halves IB cost.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Can Samurai doe 6 Midare Setsugekkas in a row? Because judging by the mechanics as they stand Warriors can do 6 Fell Cleaves in a row :colbert:.

Can any of your fell cleaves both crit and direct hit? :colbert:

It's not about the dps it's about the huge numbers!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of the people on stream said pacification might not be removed, but they're playing in Dev mode. He might just be immune to getting it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Failboattootoot posted:

They probably can, though I wouldn't know since I'm over here in the Dragoon Corner getting ready to shoot dragons at people like I've never shot them at people before.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One of the people on stream said pacification might not be removed, but they're playing in Dev mode. He might just be immune to getting it.

I've also heard that Berserk's new tooltip doesn't have pacification on it at all. Sooner or later time will tell.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Man, the novice network on my server has gone completely insane ever since this morning's live letter. It's a non-stop barrage of people crying about how tank DPS is getting nerfed, Paladin is Hitler for being able to block magic and stealing DRK's niche, and how DPS rotations are being dumbed down. All of this without knowing anything other than "stuff is coming", of course.

It's a shame, I've been having fun actually helping people lately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Failboattootoot posted:

i'm seriously considering SAM just for that one skill + ffxi skill name nostalgia. and hey it makes sense to go from the least mobile ranged character to the least mobile melee one!

but all my friends play melee so i'll probably just do RDM or BLM to start anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rainuwastaken posted:

Man, the novice network on my server has gone completely insane ever since this morning's live letter. It's a non-stop barrage of people crying about how tank DPS is getting nerfed, Paladin is Hitler for being able to block magic and stealing DRK's niche, and how DPS rotations are being dumbed down. All of this without knowing anything other than "stuff is coming", of course.

It's a shame, I've been having fun actually helping people lately.

My server's novice network was pretty low key about most of it, except for one guy who's going absolutely ballistic about the pvp changes.

• Locked thread