Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Politicalrancor posted:

you got real life issues in my sports and pop culture!

I can go to The Atlantic for that poo poo. Would you want to hear a gun control debate during the 3rd quarter of Monday Night Football?

Current events and politics does not have to be discussed in every aspect of life. Take a break once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I was pretty upset about the way they took down all the other articles on Grantland, too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Politicalrancor posted:

you got real life issues in my sports and pop culture!

I wouldn't go to Jalopnik to read about killer whales and why its probably bad to keep them in a concrete bathtub. That's what io9 is for. Similarly, I don't particularly want to read about race relations in a sports website (unless the race relations thing is, like, Jackie Robinson or about the Negro Leagues or something).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
So then don't read it. Don't click the link. Big deal.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I hate the way it crowded actual important stories off the front page, like that video of Bill's college roommate eating until he throws up, or that recap of that television show - you know, that one.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

lol @ the last page

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

And just when the Bachelor in Paradise started.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

I can go to The Atlantic for that poo poo. Would you want to hear a gun control debate during the 3rd quarter of Monday Night Football?

Current events and politics does not have to be discussed in every aspect of life. Take a break once in a while.

Right, this one does though.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Sash! posted:

I wouldn't go to Jalopnik to read about killer whales and why its probably bad to keep them in a concrete bathtub. That's what io9 is for. Similarly, I don't particularly want to read about race relations in a sports website (unless the race relations thing is, like, Jackie Robinson or about the Negro Leagues or something).

Its a good thing Grantland isn't just a sports website and never has been, then.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's not like they just dropped a bunch of stuff about Ferguson in an article about the NFL. It's clear from the title of the story what it's about. If you want to ignore it and just read about sports or tv instead it's really easy to. I dont get how just the very existence of it could upset you. Don't read it if you don't care.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

It's not like they just dropped a bunch of stuff about Ferguson in an article about the NFL. It's clear from the title of the story what it's about. If you want to ignore it and just read about sports or tv instead it's really easy to. I dont get how just the very existence of it could upset you. Don't read it if you don't care.

And it's not like they've dramatically shifted their focus, either. It's a one-off article that a lot of people, especially people in their demo, care about.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 16, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm sorry I started this. And to reiterate one last time I wasn't angry it existed and glad it was there. I just kind of wanted to discuss its existence.

Also I'm pissed that it crowded out a breakdown of the latest housewives recap.

Also that polygon article looks hilarious.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

morestuff posted:

And it's not like they've dramatically shifted their focus, either. It's a one-off article that a lot of people, especially people in their demo, care about.

They do these kind of one-offs every now and then when something big pops up. Simmons has always emphasized the sport/culture combo; it's part of his schtick; this just stands out as one of the 10% of stories that isn't pop culture-oriented.

And it's also a pretty drat good article by one of their better contributors who's present at a significant event.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Sash! posted:

You can't even understand the importance of Robinson without understanding the broader context. This is a dumb as gently caress argument.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

joshtothemaxx posted:

You can't even understand the importance of Robinson without understanding the broader context. This is a dumb as gently caress argument.

You get that information from other sources. Not every source has to cover every base at all times, about all things.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
It was interesting but Rembert has written better pieces.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Wesley Morris piece was really really good.

Also, interesting thing SI is evidently going to be doing. Going over career highlight photos with some of their most famous photographs/photographers. Really really cool and worth listening to all the interviews.

http://www.si.com/longform/neil-leifer/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

The Wesley Morris piece was really really good.

Also, interesting thing SI is evidently going to be doing. Going over career highlight photos with some of their most famous photographs/photographers. Really really cool and worth listening to all the interviews.

http://www.si.com/longform/neil-leifer/

This is a serious pro click. Neil is one of the best.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Well this is a discouraging piece: http://gawker.com/time-inc-rates-writers-on-how-beneficial-they-are-to-1623253026

quote:

Here you see an internal Time Inc. spreadsheet that was used to rank and evaluate "writer-editors" at SI.com. (Time Inc. provided this document to the Newspaper Guild, which represents some of their employees, and the union provided it to us.) The evaluations were done as part of the process of deciding who would be laid off. Most interesting is this ranking criteria: "Produces content that [is] beneficial to advertiser relationship." These editorial employees were all ranked in this way, with their scores ranging from 2 to 10.

Anthony Napoli, a union representative with the Newspaper Guild, tells us: "Time Inc. actually laid off Sports Illustrated writers based on the criteria listed on that chart. Writers who may have high assessments for their writing ability, which is their job, were in fact terminated based on the fact the company believed their stories did not 'produce content that is beneficial to advertiser relationships.'"

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

Are we gonna sit around and pretend that this isn't how news media has worked for the last 100 plus years? Or that when downsizing that money shouldn't be a priority?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Print is nearly dead in every case, and weeklies like Time, Newsweek, etc have been dead and buried for well over a decade now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Archo posted:

Are we gonna sit around and pretend that this isn't how news media has worked for the last 100 plus years? Or that when downsizing that money shouldn't be a priority?

It's at least a little different, in that subscription rates are way down and no one pays for content on the web, so media companies are more dependent than ever on their advertisers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Archo posted:

There was actually a real change when companies realized that news could be profitable. For a long time companies accepted that the fourth estate was a money loser but a necessity. It wasn't until the last 30 or so years that media companies realized that the news could be the most profitable division. This change in organizational philosophy also rearranged what it meant to provide news content.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

Bip Roberts posted:

There was actually a real change when companies realized that news could be profitable. For a long time companies accepted that the fourth estate was a money loser but a necessity. It wasn't until the last 30 or so years that media companies realized that the news could be the most profitable division. This change in organizational philosophy also rearranged what it meant to provide news content.

That's all true, but I believe that selling newspapers by cooperating with your sponsors (not covering what they don't want covered and perhaps not dogging them in the stories) is pretty old. Just because you didn't sell your paper at a profit doesn't mean you didn't try at all to make monies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Archo posted:

That's all true, but I believe that selling newspapers by cooperating with your sponsors (not covering what they don't want covered and perhaps not dogging them in the stories) is pretty old. Just because you didn't sell your paper at a profit doesn't mean you didn't try at all to make monies.

Before there were a billion other ways to advertise they really didn't have to try as hard as you think. Really, "trying" before meant focusing on the news because print was the primary game in town and if you delivered the content people wanted, advertisers would flock to you.

People are getting their hard news elsewhere now for the most part, so you're really at the total behest of the advertisers if you want to continue to exist.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles are up.

It is 41,000 words long. Block out an afternoon.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Nah, I'm good.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
(It's a joke story by Jon Bois)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Fabulous, though I thought it started to lose steam in chapter V, the ending...the ending.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Excellent, found my evening entertainment.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
That may be the best sports thing I've ever read.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The originals were better IMO but at least this one included The Rouge.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Looks like Matt Hinton is on staff at Grantland now. When the site first started out their college football coverage seemed like a complete afterthough (probably because Simmons doesn't give a poo poo about college sports) but between Hinton, Holly Anderson, and the occasional Chris Brown piece it might be the strongest part of the site now. I assume that's mostly Sharp's doing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 19, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So is this one just a different take on the same concept as the originals?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Frackie Robinson posted:

Basically. It has more pictures.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Incredible. I do miss the part from last year about the domed city where past Sun Bowls provide the light and education is the only currency.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Frackie Robinson posted:

And Drake is in it, which never fails to make me laugh

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

MourningView posted:

Looks like Matt Hinton is on staff at Grantland now. When the site first started out their college football coverage seemed like a complete afterthough (probably because Simmons doesn't give a poo poo about college sports) but between Hinton, Holly Anderson, and the occasional Chris Brown piece it might be the strongest part of the site now. I assume that's mostly Sharp's doing.

Yeah, NBA gets the sheer resources but for pure analysis and commentary that is an All-America team.

I enjoy Weinreb's pieces for Grantland, though he's more of a gun for hire.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's definitely like making the Fargo TV series before making the Fargo movie. I was able to roll with it though.

Definitely agree that it does not end as strong as its rising action (which is very strong) suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Apparently Stephen A. Smith is going on Sean Hannity's radio show at 4:30 ET. In case you needed to be driven to insanity this afternoon.