Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shath Hole posted:

Does doing this (trading players as opposed to picks) make any difference on the value chart aspect of draft day trades?

AAA DOLFAN, they moved from 12 to 4 for an additional 2nd rounder??? Who did they fleece?

Raiders.

We used it to draft a luxury player who didn't see the field much last year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
It was actually 12 to 3, even.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
We still drafted the same dude we would have at #3 and that second round pick still has plenty of potential.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Shath Hole posted:

I wonder if Atlanta trades up, they are in a great spot to trade up to 1 or 2 without it costing a fuckton. What would it cost to move up to 1 or 2
You guys should just trade down to 10 if Watkins falls to 6. It would be really cool of you.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Dattserberg posted:

You guys should just trade down to 10 if Watkins falls to 6. It would be really cool of you.

Thomas Dmitrioff wants to know what this "trade down" you speak of means...

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Doltos posted:

It's an ultra tough decision. Might be the hardest choice for a team in the history of having a #1.

Basically Houston is set at many positions and had an incredible down year due to the play of a single position. That turn around from a playoff team to a 2-14 team doesn't happen often, especially when that 2-14 team has the potential to be a playoff contender again with the right QB. All signs point to them needing to take one, but they also happen to have a generational prospect at a position that is historically extremely tough to get stability at.

I wouldn't want to be in the Texans shoes right now.

I wouldn't exactly say Houston is set at many positions and had a down year due to the play of the QB. Everyone on defense aside from Watt forgot how to play football, the play calling was boring and predictable and yes Schaub stunk up the joint as well.

They have holes at LB, C, DE, DT and the interior o-line. Despite the emergence of Hopkins, they could use a WR. If Andre or Foster go down, they automatically turn into a no name offense.

In this particular case, I agree with John McClain. A QB would do more for the Texans franchise than Clowney and Fitz/Keenum/Yates would.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eh if you take Clowney and still suck then you still got a generational player and a top 10 pick in 2015 with a shot at Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, etc. I generally don't like punting the QB decision to next year but not when it's a matter of BPA.

Not like there won't be QBs available this year to trade up from 33 either. There's gonna be a lot of trades this year, why couldn't Houston trade up from 33 into the first round to take a QB? Then you've got a generational player and a good QB prospect from a deep class.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 4, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just in case Tom Savage goes in the first round I want to say something about him so I sound smarter if he does:

Tom Savage was pretty good in Rutgers and Schiano ran him out of town after an injury.

Ok carry on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's a fun guess although I think it will be 2nd round for ol' Timmy Tom. I'm pretty sure most draft gurus expect him in the 5th round.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oakland would say that no matter what is true though.

The point is it was a hell of a lot less than what the chart said so to pretend it's the absolute rule is silly.

Edit: I still think Jordan will prove to be a stud. In limited action he looked fantastic, and he's currently stuck behind a good de and a great de

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's a fun guess although I think it will be 2nd round for ol' Timmy Tom. I'm pretty sure most draft gurus expect him in the 5th round.

I expect him in the 5th but Todd McShay was raving about him for some unknown reason and it looks like it was getting picked up by some draft pundit websites. Stranger things have happened and I want to be on the ground floor of this one.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Why SMU Quarterback Garrett Gilbert's NFL Draft Stock Is Projected To Rise

Written by: Garrett Gilbert's agent

600 words of filler under a misleading title that say Garret Gilbert's pro day is today

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's because Savage has NFL measureables and a strong arm, but so did Ryan Lindley, and both prospects have poo poo accuracy

But this seems to be a year where teams are talking themselves into these QB prospects so I wouldn't be surprised by anything

also as far as QB Name Rating goes, he's got a pretty good one

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toymachine posted:

I wouldn't exactly say Houston is set at many positions and had a down year due to the play of the QB. Everyone on defense aside from Watt forgot how to play football, the play calling was boring and predictable and yes Schaub stunk up the joint as well.

They have holes at LB, C, DE, DT and the interior o-line. Despite the emergence of Hopkins, they could use a WR. If Andre or Foster go down, they automatically turn into a no name offense.

In this particular case, I agree with John McClain. A QB would do more for the Texans franchise than Clowney and Fitz/Keenum/Yates would.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Your points are "They have no pass rush and need to rebuild the interior o-line" (the second of which is untrue, but I digress), so they should pass on Clowney and invest a high pick in a QB? What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No, Toymachine does not know what he is talking about.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Oakland would say that no matter what is true though.

The point is it was a hell of a lot less than what the chart said so to pretend it's the absolute rule is silly.

Edit: I still think Jordan will prove to be a stud. In limited action he looked fantastic, and he's currently stuck behind a good de and a great de

The top players from that draft are mostly terrible though

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

The top players from that draft are mostly terrible though

You're solidifying my whole point so thanks I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Toymachine posted:

They do not have a hole at C, they need a new LG and a new RT true, but they have some potential guys already on the roster who were on IR last year in Quessenberry and The Great Black Otaku

They even already have their C of the future once Myers is done in Ben Jones

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

You're solidifying my whole point so thanks I guess

We don't always have to fight Crazy :hf:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

We don't always have to fight Crazy :hf:

Listen I'm kinda friends with doltos now so my entire existence is in question

Next thing you know I'll agree with a McMagic post and poof apocalypse

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That is still really weird. I don't even hate jeffersonlives anymore and I think he actually says some intelligent stuff. My whole universe is shattered.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Slow down you guys I can't update my TFF Enemies spreadsheet with you all changing your minds so often

I have "AAADOLFAN vs McMagic" right under "Rap vs Himself" and "Gendo vs Minnesota"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BBP vs sanity

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Tom savage sounds like a saftey to me but I'm a rookie so what do I know except gently caress Bortles hype.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blitz7x posted:

Slow down you guys I can't update my TFF Enemies spreadsheet with you all changing your minds so often

I have "AAADOLFAN vs McMagic" right under "Rap vs Himself" and "Gendo vs Minnesota"

put me down as neutral

Wanna be the Finland of TFF

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Rasczak vs Jeff Ireland better be on that list somewhere

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gus Frerotte vs Wall

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Who thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick or Case Keenum is worth starting another year? Then Houston has to take a QB. Now the fight for #2 is going to be real interesting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you think you're going to immediately be in the playoffs next year, they're not worth starting. If you think that rome wasn't built in a day, they can start.

Houston can pick a QB AFTER their first pick, that is allowed in the rules

They can fuckin.. jump from 33 to 15-20, one of the top 3 QBs will fall to there and if not, ride the Carr baby

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Parmesan Basil posted:

Who thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick or Case Keenum is worth starting another year? Then Houston has to take a QB. Now the fight for #2 is going to be real interesting.

What's wrong with Keenum? He looked decent enough to warrant a chance to start again. Mettenberger in the 2nd gives them more of a long term project and eventual starter, but gives your QB time to learn without throwing them in day 1 just because they're the #1 pick.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

put me down as neutral

Wanna be the Finland of TFF

Switzerland? The Finns killed a lot of Russians.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Do Not Draft Zach Mettenberger

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

excidium posted:

What's wrong with Keenum? He looked decent enough to warrant a chance to start again. Mettenberger in the 2nd gives them more of a long term project and eventual starter, but gives your QB time to learn without throwing them in day 1 just because they're the #1 pick.

Keenum was like Rex Grossman, in that he could bomb the gently caress out of the ball deep but anything shorter than 20 yards past the LOS was a crapshoot. I loved watching him play but he has a lot of learning to do about playing QB in the NFL, and I think throwing him out there as the starter for 2014 would invite another top 5 draft pick.

Really though, outside of QB, most of Houston's problems were on defense and the lack of an entire LB corps once Cushing went down again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

excidium posted:

If your'e taking Mettenberger you're not taking him at #33 overall

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

excidium posted:

Outside of flyers, I don't like any other mid round QB. McCarron is a huge bust waiting. Mettenburger is just a big arm. Murray is hurt. Garoppolo is an unknown. I just think the top three are the only real chances. Keenum is fine but he has a long way to go before he's a true starter. It just makes too much sense.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Didn't Garoppolo break a bunch of Romo's records at Eastern Illinois? That's pretty much objective proof that he's going to own :colbert:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shath Hole posted:

When is the last time someone traded out of the #1 overall spot, though? Isn't it very difficult?

Legit trading the pick? The Vick-Tomlinson draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Romeo runs Clowney through position drills (short)
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Crennel_works_out_Jadeveon_Clowney/7f5b0b4f-ed5c-4db2-9f66-3e6f0db7e672

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chichevache posted:

Switzerland? The Finns killed a lot of Russians.

what do I look like some kind of geologist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The chart was made some time in the 80's and probably doesn't hold up, especially now that there are salary slots

• Locked thread