Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MG3 posted:

Usually I just push in the clutch and cruise until I get to a stoplight or something, but I'll have to try this idea next time I use the car.

On a modern car it'll save you on gas because the computer cuts fuel in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Godholio posted:

On a modern car it'll save you on gas because the computer cuts fuel in this situation.

Its a 2001 Nissan Sentra, I'm not sure thats a modern car.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MG3 posted:

Its a 2001 Nissan Sentra, I'm not sure thats a modern car.

Modern enough

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah for the purpose of this discussion "modern" basically means any vehicle with EFI, I'm pretty sure my old Blazer with TBI did it and that was a 91.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My 91 Integra also cut fuel in the same situation, if the owner's manual was to be believed.

Worth noting is downshifting every time you slow down will accelerate clutch wear. I generally only consider it worth doing while going downhill, otherwise if I'm coming to a stop I just leave the car in gear until it drops below 1k. If I'm slowing for a turn I'll drop into 2nd (or 3rd if it's less than a 90 degree turn) just before entering the turn, that way I'm ready to accelerate out of the turn.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

some texas redneck posted:

My 91 Integra also cut fuel in the same situation, if the owner's manual was to be believed.

Worth noting is downshifting every time you slow down will accelerate clutch wear. I generally only consider it worth doing while going downhill, otherwise if I'm coming to a stop I just leave the car in gear until it drops below 1k. If I'm slowing for a turn I'll drop into 2nd (or 3rd if it's less than a 90 degree turn) just before entering the turn, that way I'm ready to accelerate out of the turn.

What i do as Im slowing down is just throw it it neutral and coast as long as I can before I have to brake. I don't down shift or anything else unless the light turns green and my coasting didnt bring me to a stop. I dont drive a ton on roads/routes that I'm not very familiar with so I know how to properly maximize my time in neutral.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Even if you just stay in your current gear and just slip into neutral once your engine gets to idle speeds, it's still gonna slow you down faster than coasting, and you use less fuel (idling is pretty economical, but it still uses more fuel than none)

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Enourmo posted:

Even if you just stay in your current gear and just slip into neutral once your engine gets to idle speeds, it's still gonna slow you down faster than coasting, and you use less fuel (idling is pretty economical, but it still uses more fuel than none)

Cool. Im actually new to driving stick shift, I bought one last year after I totaled my automatic. I'm still learning all the tricks. I'm glad that you guys told me about this facet of manual gear cars. I bought one without knowing anything about manual cars and was driving it to work without any lessons the day after I bought it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Just leave it in gear and downshift when you get to about idle (or whenever your car gives attitude about low RPM).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

pipebomb posted:

Ok, gently caress. First issue: I know, I went to meineke. I was in a hurry before a road trip and couldn't find any other place.

2010 VW Jetta, 70k miles - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nina42tdr9ty285/AAAuQHO1QJcWjMbQ_NUyzgdKa?dl=0

I needed brake pads - I was hearing some grinding and was at 70k miles and so far as I know, on original pads. I also needed an oil change, tire rotation etc.

I took it in and long story short ended up with new pads and rotors all around. I know, I'm a sucker but figured i might as well get it done so I wouldn't have to come back. $600+.

So immediately after I get in the car my brake light wear light comes on. Dude says it might be because of the new pads, and to come back if it doesn't go off.

I start my road trip two days later. I had also noticed some weird 'whoomp whoomp' sound from the front, which I recognize as likely an off-balance tire (they had been rotated, balanced ostensibly - I didn't mark them beforehand because, again, sucker).

I reach my destination, park it for a week. I take back in today to tell them what's going on and lo and behold, I need another $800 worth of repairs, including a brake sensor (which they likely broke based on what I'm reading) that they seem to want to charge 6 times retail for, and also front hub assemblies.

I told them to take it down off the rack, folded up the quote and called the VW dealer for a brake inspection while standing there in front of dude.

So - my question(s): on the linked invoice/quote - does this poo poo make any sense? Should they not have let me know the 'hub' was in need of replacement or worn at the time of the original work? What's with the sensor - there's only a single one so far as I can ascertain. And finally: repacking the wheel bearings again, is that necessary?

My appointment at VW is Thursday morning...I'll likely ask them the same questions but I trust y'all more than people wanting my money.

Thanks.

I wouldnt mention any of that poo poo to VW and see what they end up quoting you. Ive had more than one shop experience where they bullshitted me about work that wasnt necessary, then took it for a second opinion elsewhere and the second shop didnt mention the "worn" parts at all.

Also, find an indie shop you trust.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MG3 posted:

Cool. Im actually new to driving stick shift, I bought one last year after I totaled my automatic. I'm still learning all the tricks. I'm glad that you guys told me about this facet of manual gear cars. I bought one without knowing anything about manual cars and was driving it to work without any lessons the day after I bought it.

That's exactly how I learned to drive manual.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Quoting myself from a few pages back as I might be hosed with this and used gearboxes are mucho money.

organburner posted:

This is probably a stupid question so I'm putting it here.
I got a Mitsubishi Space Wagon with the F5M42 "ticking timebomb special" gearbox, we decided to remove the gearbox due to a failure with the clutch and noticed rattling inside, opened up the inspection cover and there are like grooves worn into the gears.

It's probably a bit hard to see here but it's taken out chunks of metal like a millimeter deep and there is some wear on the top of the gear as well, similar marks can be seen on two other gears as well.

http://imgur.com/dhZn5mC

Do these require replacing? I obviously need to open up the whole fucker to replace whatever blew up to cause that but I can't afford to replace the gears so if they need to be replaced I'mma scrap the whole thing and see about buying another gearbox or just live without a car.
At first I thought those grooves were machined because on one gear they are so regular, almost but not quite in a straight line. On the other gears they are more irregular.

Thing is I already spent like 300-400€ on the clutch kit as well as the usually bearings that break in these gearboxes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is probably a very dumb question, but are battery posts a standard size? I'd love to cancel the order for a $40 terminal clamp and get a cheaper marine battery clamp off Amazon if it'll work - but I don't want to delay the fix if it's not going to fit.

I've never even looked for a copper shim (or any kind of shim, really) - suggestions other than a soda can + sandpaper?

Generally yes, however keep in mind that a positive and negative terminal will be different sizes, so you'll want a pack with both in it. Also, just run up to the nearest parts store. They should have them sitting on a rack for $5-7.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MG3 posted:

Welcome, brother.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's exactly how I learned to drive manual.

In Europe they generally teach you to drive stick as part of your lessons, and when you take your test it's in a manual and it includes things like a hill start.

You can take the test in an automatic but that means you can only ever drive automatics.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Australia has the same thing. I think we're going the way of the US though with fewer and fewer new manual trans cars sold each year

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of driving tests, is this representative for a typical drivers license test in the US?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pec-vRDZi8A

Seems extremely simple to get a license.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of driving tests, is this representative for a typical drivers license test in the US?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pec-vRDZi8A

Seems extremely simple to get a license.

It varies from state to state, but generally yes. In Georgia, they put you on a closed course, make you accelerate up to 25mph, stop, reverse in a straight line, then either parallel park or back into a parking space before your road test. My cousin in New Jersey failed her first driver's exam because of a Catch 22 where the proctor wouldn't put his seatbelt on, and she wouldn't start driving until he did. It's all ridiculously easy.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

pipebomb posted:

Ok, gently caress. First issue: I know, I went to meineke. I was in a hurry before a road trip and couldn't find any other place.

2010 VW Jetta, 70k miles - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nina42td...Q_NUyzgdKa?dl=0

I needed brake pads - I was hearing some grinding and was at 70k miles and so far as I know, on original pads. I also needed an oil change, tire rotation etc.

I took it in and long story short ended up with new pads and rotors all around. I know, I'm a sucker but figured i might as well get it done so I wouldn't have to come back. $600+.

So immediately after I get in the car my brake light wear light comes on. Dude says it might be because of the new pads, and to come back if it doesn't go off.

I start my road trip two days later. I had also noticed some weird 'whoomp whoomp' sound from the front, which I recognize as likely an off-balance tire (they had been rotated, balanced ostensibly - I didn't mark them beforehand because, again, sucker).

I reach my destination, park it for a week. I take back in today to tell them what's going on and lo and behold, I need another $800 worth of repairs, including a brake sensor (which they likely broke based on what I'm reading) that they seem to want to charge 6 times retail for, and also front hub assemblies.

I told them to take it down off the rack, folded up the quote and called the VW dealer for a brake inspection while standing there in front of dude.

So - my question(s): on the linked invoice/quote - does this poo poo make any sense? Should they not have let me know the 'hub' was in need of replacement or worn at the time of the original work? What's with the sensor - there's only a single one so far as I can ascertain. And finally: repacking the wheel bearings again, is that necessary?

My appointment at VW is Thursday morning...I'll likely ask them the same questions but I trust y'all more than people wanting my money.

Thanks.
Meinekie is taking you for a ride, sorry to say. This is the brake wear sensor for a Jetta of that vintage depending on your engine size, and it's the same as my previous generation Golf: a normally-closed circuit that, once opened by the natural wear of the brake pads (the front driver's side in my case), sends a signal to the car's brain saying "turn that brake wear light on." My light stayed on after a DIY brake job because I accidentally ripped the wire out of the pad. I just taped the leads together and the light went out.

It's hard to tell what the 'whomp whomp' sound is without hearing it, but if it didn't exist before they started loving around with it, I'd be inclined to blame the humps at the shop. That quote/invoice in your dropbox is breaking my heart, oh my god.

PaintVagrant posted:

I wouldnt mention any of that poo poo to VW and see what they end up quoting you. Ive had more than one shop experience where they bullshitted me about work that wasnt necessary, then took it for a second opinion elsewhere and the second shop didnt mention the "worn" parts at all.

Also, find an indie shop you trust.
PV is totally on the money here, and as for the bolded bit: Do. This. Now. It takes like 20 minutes to poll your buddies (or us, if no buddies know what the gently caress about cars) and ask where they've gone and it'll save you this kind of headache.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hey guys, got a bit of a wobble when braking, probably uneven deposits on my rotors.

Probably going to go ahead with a brake job (my first) and replace the rotors. Looking for recommendations for good brands of rotors/pads.

I don't really want to spend the extra $$ on OEM.

Thinking of Brembo, Centric....?

2000 4Runner Limited.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

pipebomb posted:

2010 VW Jetta, 70k miles - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nina42tdr9ty285/AAAuQHO1QJcWjMbQ_NUyzgdKa?dl=0

Thanks.

Places like Minekie or Midas or Firestone, strip mall franchise shops, usually dont have the experience or the forethought to order new special parts like brake wear sensors, since not all vehicles have them and theyre different for every manufacturer.

Basically the service writer didnt order one for your car and when the tech broke it/it fell apart (it happens, theyre finnicky little things) they just said "gently caress it, get this car off the lift and keep the work flow going" rather than wait an hour or more for a new sensor to come.

Since you brought the car in for a brake job, its unlikely that they road tested the car prior to doing work. They just saw the gravy and got after it. Its also probable that they only gave it the most bare minimum of road test after the job was done. I know if i'd done a brake job and there was a new warning light on the dash, I wouldnt just kick it out the door. Thats just terribly sloppy and them telling you "it'll buff out" is a good indicator that its not a quality operation.

So when you come back saying youve got a whomp whomp noise in the front end, its doubtful they gave it a good road test, put it on the lift and inspected the parts. Lazy techs who've got some experience get in the habit of diagnosing things based on customer complaint not observed symptoms. "Whomp noise in the front? Needs wheel bearing hubs. NEXT JOB PLS" is how it goes. Gotta keep that work flow up.

Since you have hub assemblies, you dont have packable bearings, thats just in the work order as part of the brake job because a lot of older vehicles require that service when changing rotors.

You should have it inspected by VW but they might not road test a car on a free brake inspection - those are usually jack the car up and pull the wheels and do a visual inspection. If you are willing to pay for a little labor time then tell them to drive it and check for wheel bearing noise. I'd be shocked if your hubs were bad at 70k. It could be something as simple as a bent dust shield coming into contact with the rotor.

Get your front tires re balanced to eliminate that potential issue.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Guys, thank you very much for the advice and for clarifying my suspicions. I'm paying VW to do the $110 inspection, and the Meineke guy put in writing that if someone disagrees, he would pay the diag charge - I don't think he expected me to actually do so.

Worst case, I pay the $110, get a rebalance and pay the $20-50 for the sensor repair/change then just harangue Meineke until I get something back or whatever.

Again, much appreciated, and I will post with closure later this week.

PS: Is there an 'angies list' for mechanics that you recommend?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

pipebomb posted:

Guys, thank you very much for the advice and for clarifying my suspicions. I'm paying VW to do the $110 inspection, and the Meineke guy put in writing that if someone disagrees, he would pay the diag charge - I don't think he expected me to actually do so.

Worst case, I pay the $110, get a rebalance and pay the $20-50 for the sensor repair/change then just harangue Meineke until I get something back or whatever.

Again, much appreciated, and I will post with closure later this week.

PS: Is there an 'angies list' for mechanics that you recommend?

Here's on place to check:
http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How do I get rid of brake fluid? Popular Mechanics says to pour it into cat litter and let it evaporate for a few days -- that seems impractical.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Find your local transfer station.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've never been entirely sure what a transfer station is. Google maps indicates that there's one the next state over.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

I've never been entirely sure what a transfer station is. Google maps indicates that there's one the next state over.

Google search: "(your county) hazardous materials disposal " or something similar.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Yeah a hazardous waste dump is where you gotta take it. Or take it to a shop and ask to pay them to dispose of it for you

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How long is reasonable to have an oil pan dropped, the vehicle on ramps and on a gravel driveway? P.sure my 99 silverado (lq4) has a spun cam bearing, but I'm holding hope it's just a clogged pickup and oil pump oring- parts coming from rock auto, but would like to dive in in the meantime.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
1UZ engine with unknown miles is briefly burning oil from a cold start. Is it rings or stem seals?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Likely valve stem seals.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

glyph posted:

How long is reasonable to have an oil pan dropped, the vehicle on ramps and on a gravel driveway? P.sure my 99 silverado (lq4) has a spun cam bearing, but I'm holding hope it's just a clogged pickup and oil pump oring- parts coming from rock auto, but would like to dive in in the meantime.

Can't really put a time figure on it, but let it sit like that long enough and the oil covering the engine internals will evaporate and they will start to rust. We're probably talking about months here so if you're just waiting on parts it should be OK until they arrive.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

glyph posted:

Put that pan back on ASAP with a few bolts unless you want the wind to blow dust and grime into your bearings and just gently caress your poo poo up.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Likely valve stem seals.

I hope so. Still a pain in the rear end.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I say that because oil will pool around them a bit after the engine is shut off, and if the seals are bad, it'll dribble into the combustion chamber. Gives a nice smoky cold start.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

This was my thought as well. And just last week I sold a sweet 1UZ with 60k on it. Oops.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The argument I heard against engine braking modern cars several times is simply that brakes nowadays are reliable and cheap to replace, and the potential to do more costly wear to your transmission is there, especially if you don't rev match on the down shift.

I am willing to cede it is utter bullshit and engine braking is fine, am not a car guy at all so that's why I asked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

The argument I heard against engine braking modern cars several times is simply that brakes nowadays are reliable and cheap to replace, and the potential to do more costly wear to your transmission is there, especially if you don't rev match on the down shift.

I am willing to cede it is utter bullshit and engine braking is fine, am not a car guy at all so that's why I asked.

Engine braking is fine but it wears your clutch out slightly faster. If you don't care about this then it won't hurt anything. If you have to fix your own cars like most people in here, you'd rather do brakes than a clutch on pretty much any vehicle. Modern or not has little bearing on it; japanese cars have had perfectly adequate brakes since the 80's.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

Engine braking is fine but it wears your clutch out slightly faster. If you don't care about this then it won't hurt anything. If you have to fix your own cars like most people in here, you'd rather do brakes than a clutch on pretty much any vehicle. Modern or not has little bearing on it; japanese cars have had perfectly adequate brakes since the 80's.
It doesn't add any wear to your clutch at all. If it does, that's an issue with your shifting technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OK I'll rephrase: going down through the gears every time you slow down wears your clutch out faster than just using the brakes all the way and shifting down when the engine starts to hit idle.