Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/sirotan/124-93361/
Looks toasty

Someone in the reviews said "it serves various purposes" :stonk:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The teaching in Japan thread is archived so I'll just ask here: generally, what kind of requirements do international schools have for their English teachers? For example, will they except teaching degrees from non-native countries? I currently have an MA that I could supplement with a 1-year course that would give me a first degree teacher's certification for the Netherlands, allowing me to teach at Dutch high schools and so forth. Would that be accepted as the equivalent of a similar degree from the UK or the US, for example?

For context: i have a CELTA and speak Japanese sorta and have 2 years' eikaiwa experience. Also married to a Japanese person so a visa is no real issue. I don't really want to do eikaiwa again and I'd rather teach a regular class at an international school or at a uni or something.

You don't need more degrees/certificates, just apply to schools. Otoh you're not restricted to teaching either so why not get a manufacturing job and get exercise and improve your Japanese?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Good luck with this

https://www.searchassociates.com/

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ok which of you was the goony-rear end american who decided to use his outdoor voice to ask the okami whether he should wear underwear with his yukata

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the only reason that isn’t the most gaijin thing I’ve seen today is because of the german dude on the shinkansen who was trying to explain to the conductor that the station staff had totally said it was ok to sit in the green car without a reservation if you had a jr pass

loving gaijin ruining japan. I of course am the exception, an educated foreigner who understands the true nihongo no kokoro (that means japanese spirit) and

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

german dude on the shinkansen who was trying to explain to the conductor that the station staff had totally said it was ok to sit in the green car without a reservation if you had a jr pass

gotta respect the hustle

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Phone posted:

tell your dad to shut the gently caress up

the timetable is generous as hell, like there are trains leaving every 3 minutes

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/timetable/_pdf/eastbound_0316.pdf
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/timetable/_pdf/westbound_0316.pdf

Yeah I’m sick of traveling with this dipshit. Every trip is like this.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
on the bright side nobody on this trip has even come close to being as goony as the guy on my last visit who came and sat next to me on the bus so he could tell me the good news about the anime that changed his life

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone any idea where I might find some X Japan vinyls in Osaka? Denden Town is coming up empty and I'd to have some for my collection.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hard Off?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

LimburgLimbo posted:

The characters name is Siro-tan, try looking online for that

https://sirotan.fun

Thanks!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

on the bright side nobody on this trip has even come close to being as goony as the guy on my last visit who came and sat next to me on the bus so he could tell me the good news about the anime that changed his life

So did you check out DearS yet or?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I will ganbarimasu to speak to my subarashii nihonjindomo hosts in their native bogo shita (Japanese for buy-one-get-one-free tongue) as the okyakusama in their aishii sokoku. It will be gohoubi arimasu desu. Please where is toilet kippu. :hai: :hai: :hai:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I will ganbarimasu to speak to my subarashii nihonjindomo hosts in their native bogo shita (Japanese for buy-one-get-one-free tongue) as the okyakusama in their aishii sokoku. It will be gohoubi arimasu desu. Please where is toilet kippu. :hai: :hai: :hai:

You are already quite similar to annoying weebs because you lack self awareness when you travel. Instead of spouting random Japanese, you have trouble controlling the travel environment and go emo on your older parents- parents paying for most of your trip.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I aim to please!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Archer666 posted:

Anyone any idea where I might find some X Japan vinyls in Osaka? Denden Town is coming up empty and I'd to have some for my collection.

King Kong in Shinsaibashi might have some, there's also Time Bomb in the same neighborhood but that's a bit more of a long shot.

There are some great record stores here, if you were really dedicated you could go to stores that focus on other genres as they might have clearance bins etc..

E: are you set on original pressings? I don't know, but a re-press might be something tower records could stock on vinyl. I don't ever go there, but if a re-press existed and they stocked records, it might be there. Worth a quick search on discogs maybe!

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 8, 2019

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Got my sumo tickets for next month in Tokyo. Any tips on when to arrive or any general tips to make my sumo day awesome? Thanks.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
remember to shout "dosukoi" at the correct moments. It’s probably best if you start screaming it the moment you arrive and don’t stop until your throat collapses

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cbear posted:

Got my sumo tickets for next month in Tokyo. Any tips on when to arrive or any general tips to make my sumo day awesome? Thanks.

Which day did you snag?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Which day did you snag?

17th. It'll be me and a buddy's first time in Japan so pretty stoked we got tickets.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

6th day of the tournament then right? Cool! I got tickets to the 12th day on the 23rd. Super psyched.

You’re gonna have a blast. First tournament of the Reiwa era, should be a great show. Only downside is that Hakuho may be pulled out. Still, plenty of awesome talent.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got a rad pic of Fuji when I landed in Tokyo a few weeks ago

Then the next day when we circumnavigated the whole thing by train we didn't see poo poo

Blue sky and everything. It was just too foggy/hazy.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Picnic Princess posted:

Nice.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Martytoof posted:

6th day of the tournament then right? Cool! I got tickets to the 12th day on the 23rd. Super psyched.

You’re gonna have a blast. First tournament of the Reiwa era, should be a great show. Only downside is that Hakuho may be pulled out. Still, plenty of awesome talent.

They kind of run all day right? Is it typical to go out and grab food and then come back and watch more matches?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can even bring some food and drinks in with you because Japan, lol. Alcohol OK.
Major matches are 4-6 so I'd go after lunch and 〜enjoy the atmosphere〜
ps bring cash for cool souvenirs

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cbear posted:

The doors will open sometime around 10 am, but that’ll be for the lowest level junior guys. If you arrive between 1-2 pm it’s enough time to get settled in before the 4-6 pm main bouts. You can bring food and drink (including beer) in with you, but be careful because at least a few years ago in Fukuoka you weren’t allowed to re-enter. This may be different now and at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, but confirm before you go.

Otherwise the pace of it is good, enjoy the food and some drinks and the atmosphere.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Yatta! I’ve been coming to the country for years and my nihongo has finally been declared jouzu desu ne

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

congladurashon

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

That's a cool picture!
Too bad about the clouds later

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.
I heard we're Fuji posting now.

It's big.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Does the world really need more pictures of Mt. Fuji

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

prompt posted:

Does the world really need more pictures of Mt. Fuji

Yes. Here's one from behind a train station.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Kulex posted:

I heard we're Fuji posting now.

It's big.

looks like japan is compensating for something

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Mt. Fuji is one of my favorite mountains. Top five easy. I like its symmetry and bigness. Post more of that bad boy please.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah I’m sick of traveling with this dipshit. Every trip is like this.

maybe your dad will feel sad he can't call his friends and leave after the 3rd day of the trip

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

maybe your dad will feel sad he can't call his friends and leave after the 3rd day of the trip

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

free Trapt CD posted:

King Kong in Shinsaibashi might have some, there's also Time Bomb in the same neighborhood but that's a bit more of a long shot.

There are some great record stores here, if you were really dedicated you could go to stores that focus on other genres as they might have clearance bins etc..

E: are you set on original pressings? I don't know, but a re-press might be something tower records could stock on vinyl. I don't ever go there, but if a re-press existed and they stocked records, it might be there. Worth a quick search on discogs maybe!

Thanks! I looked around in tower records in Umeda and also in Disc Union there, unfortunately no luck. Then I swung by some other other shops in denden town and nothing turned up there either. I was planning on taking another trip to Amerimura so I'll swing by those stores you mentioned too. Original pressings would be the best, but those appear to be really rare.. Oh well, at least I'm discovering new music just by digging through the records they do have.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

don’t sign fart Simpson’s posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Soricidus posted:

Yatta! I’ve been coming to the country for years and my nihongo has finally been declared jouzu desu ne

They tell everyone that no matter how terrible you are. HTH