Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm really struggling with the Abyss Watchers. Any tips or strategies?

Get real aggressive, because if you back off it/they will never ever let up until they close the gap. Also they can be parried+riposted/backstabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found out why I was delay-rolling so much on Pontiff; if you block an attack, try to dodge, then get attacked again before the roll is executed it'll still hit your shield, but once you're free to move your character will roll. Since he attacks so quickly, he'd hit my shield, I'd try to dodge, he'd hit me again.. and again... and again and suddenly my character rolls, seconds after I pressed the roll button.

Because of this I decided my shield was doing more harm than good, so I ditched that jerk and beat Pontiff on my first shieldless attempt. That felt so good I can't even put it into words :swoon::darksouls::swoon:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Talk to andre after you beat the last boss he gives you an item that opens up a questline

Huh.. I'm pretty sure I talked to him before I quit last night but didn't get anything...I'll double check.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
In the Cathedral there is this lever

to pull up this stuff:

What is the use/purpose for that?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There's a mad phantom on the Road of Sacrifices I want to eventually kill. Does it go away if I beat the area boss?

Putting this in spoilers just in case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr.PayDay posted:

In the Cathedral there is this lever

to pull up this stuff:

What is the use/purpose for that?

Two primary uses: First, you can pull the giant over there and hit him through the person-sized gap which he cannot get through, and second, look at the top and how it is vaguely path-shaped.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally had my first weird issue. Screen went black while I was walking around the Farron Keep swamp right after I fought the huge crab and picked up the Crown of Dusk. I could still hear the hiss of the swamp poison but the screen was black. Luckily it kept my progress when I closed the program and came back but jeez.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, finally found my loving Elite Knight Armor, the real fashion souls starts here

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay so beating Pontiff shieldless felt good, but walking around embered does not. I was immediately invaded by two people who wrecked my poo poo in seconds.

Worst part of this game for me is by far that they hid tons of loot behind NPC invasions that you only get by bring embered. I've missed a ton and I'm going to miss a ton more if the PvP is this unfair :smith:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Okay so beating Pontiff shieldless felt good, but walking around embered does not. I was immediately invaded by two people who wrecked my poo poo in seconds.

Worst part of this game for me is by far that they hid tons of loot behind NPC invasions that you only get by bring embered. I've missed a ton and I'm going to miss a ton more if the PvP is this unfair :smith:

Put on the way of blue, use the dried knuckle, and pop a giant seed. I got 100,000 souls by the time I made it to the next boss

Giant seeds regenerate at the tree giant in firelink every time you get invaded, they're not so precious

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

CJacobs posted:

Two primary uses: First, you can pull the giant over there and hit him through the person-sized gap which he cannot get through, and second, look at the top and how it is vaguely path-shaped.

thanks mate!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Two unrelated questions: Is there a ring or something that increases the damage done by poison you inflict on enemies?

In the Cathedral (Or was it Farron Keep?) area, there was a gate you have to take a side path to get around, that has a couple of lizards and some items, but there's also a golden version of those humpback wizard guys like Yoel right behind the gate. Is there any significance to it, because it didn't seem to do anything or interact in anyway.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Two unrelated questions: Is there a ring or something that increases the damage done by poison you inflict on enemies?

Nope. Poison is garbage this time around.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Goddammit, now I lost a questline because of joining a covenant.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I'm failing miserably at forming a mental map of the swamp area after the keep. Stupid swamps.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Giant seeds regenerate at the tree giant in firelink every time you get invaded, they're not so precious

I never would have found this out on my own.

Worlds are going to burn.

Toiwat posted:

I'm failing miserably at forming a mental map of the swamp area after the keep. Stupid swamps.

I don't like the level design in that area. I have trouble determining where exactly I am because everything looks the same.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 16, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Farming some silver knights, I decide to bite on a red phantom sign. Guy takes about 10 minutes to join, I'm getting the better of him then he returns to his world like a bitch before I can finish him off. Guess he couldn't stand being whooped by a man in rags

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CJacobs posted:

Get real aggressive, because if you back off it/they will never ever let up until they close the gap. Also they can be parried+riposted/backstabbed.

Thanks. Should I even bother using a shield?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Put on the way of blue, use the dried knuckle, and pop a giant seed. I got 100,000 souls by the time I made it to the next boss

Thanks, I'll try that :unsmith:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm really struggling with the Abyss Watchers. Any tips or strategies?

Also Their dagger attacks will flinch off a shield and they have little stagger resistance, I was knocking them flat on their rear end with pyromancy boulders and fire orbs

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Thanks, I'll try that :unsmith:

More people need to do this so I can finally get summoned as a blue cop

Also your estus just. keeps. refilling.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Hommando posted:

I don't like the level design in that area. I have trouble determining where exactly I am because everything looks the same.

As of now I've got it partly memorized by enemy zones.
Like, there's the Slugs area, the Basilisks area, the weird Satyr-like-beasts area, but I can't map all of that to a geometrical space.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why do the Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels have the exact same summoning condition? It just makes it even harder and more tedious to do anything at all in one of those factions.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont suppose there is anyone out there on PC has an extra symbol of avaraice?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Andrast posted:

Nope. Poison is garbage this time around.

Too bad, I like how easily my Thief dagger can poison enemies, but with single digit damage ticks, it's not all that useful.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Why do the Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels have the exact same summoning condition? It just makes it even harder and more tedious to do anything at all in one of those factions.

Not really they have the rewards and same covenant items so people who would already be sentinels just upgrade to darkmoon when they get it, there is no reason to go back and they're functionally the same pool of players. The only difference between the two covenants is as a darkmoon your phantom is a darker blue and if you kill an aldrich faithful they drop a concord well kept, which is the equivalent of two concords

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Is it my imagination or is this game nails hard even by souls standards? I battled through DS1 carved through DS2 and now am very much back to battling again.

Also do all weapons have the option to kick? I seem to be really struggling to do it. Makes enemies that require a guard break a nightmare but reckon there must be something simple I'm missing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
All the NPCs at firelink are dead or have gone missing except Andre, the firekeeper and the old lady who sells stuff. I have no idea what I did but it was obviously not good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

They're identical factions. I think they have the same covenant turn-in item, too.

Speaking of Blue Sentinels, I just put it on for the first time and was immediately summoned. That was a pleasant surprise.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

They're identical factions. I think they have the same covenant turn-in item, too.

Speaking of Blue Sentinels, I just put it on for the first time and was immediately summoned. That was a pleasant surprise.

loving rear end in a top hat, jumping the queue... stand in line with the rest of us, I've only been waiting thirty hours

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should remove Way of Blue and just make it so Blue Sentinels/Darkmoons help everyone apart from the "evil" covenants.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Anyone on PS4 want to co-op some before/after boss stuff? I'm trying to find as many items in each area before moving on as I can. Im currently in the area after the wall and already beat the boss so I can't summon random people. I'm also willing to join and help out for anything.
PSN ExCruceLeo

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

They should remove Way of Blue and just make it so Blue Sentinels/Darkmoons help everyone apart from the "evil" covenants.

Or if you have an ember and are advancing through an area just put way of blue on as your default, it's not like you're actively invading at that moment

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Or make it so you can get invaded while non-embered. Or make it so they help Way of the Blue and their own faction.

They also should let Mound-Makers fight the boss and give a shackle if the boss is defeated. Other than that the factions seem to be working great. I've leveled myself out of the Swamp People and Neo BellBros though :smith:

In addition to the dead NPCs at firelink I've discovered that Rosalina is also dead but I got a Black Eye Orb to get revenge on her killer. Any hints on where to use it? I'm all the way up to Lothric Castle, do I need to backtrack?

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 16, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

axeil posted:

Or make it so you can get invaded while non-embered. Or make it so they help Way of the Blue and their own faction.

They also should let Mound-Makers fight the boss and give a shackle if the boss is defeated.

Yeah blues boys should have each other's backs, I think that would be the best solution. I hope they eventually implement that because it seems like the easiest chance to make systemswise

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Boomstick Quaid posted:

More people need to do this so I can finally get summoned as a blue cop

Also your estus just. keeps. refilling.

I've done 3 blue cop invasions this morning on my new char, it's so nice to actually have the system work in a souls game. I know multiplayer isn't working well for everyone but I'm getting great results on PS4 at all hours of the day.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

axeil posted:

They also should let Mound-Makers fight the boss and give a shackle if the boss is defeated.

In addition to the dead NPCs at firelink I've discovered that Rosalina is also dead but I got a Black Eye Orb to get revenge on her killer. Any hints on where to use it? I'm all the way up to Lothric Castle, do I need to backtrack?

Hi I would say cleavage seeks out cleavage, also when you get her soul you can transpose it into a cool miracle. You can just leave her dead and the covenant works just fine, I turned in tongues and got a covenant reward with her slumped over dead as hell so I can confirm

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I've done 3 blue cop invasions this morning on my new char, it's so nice to actually have the system work in a souls game. I know multiplayer isn't working well for everyone but I'm getting great results on PS4 at all hours of the day.

I think for me my level weapon may just be too high. I've taken my Uchigatana up to +9 and I never get any hits as a Darkmoon in the Archives at about level 89 or so.

However.

If I use the Dried Finger and put on Way of the Blue...it's absolute magic ::unsmigghh:

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Hi I would say cleavage seeks out cleavage, also when you get her soul you can transpose it into a cool miracle. You can just leave her dead and the covenant works just fine, I turned in tongues and got a covenant reward with her slumped over dead as hell so I can confirm

Thanks for the tip. Not sure I know where there's other clevage but it's something to go off of.

Any benefit to giving her her soul back or should I just leave her dead?

Also the Miracles woman is one of the ones who disappeared so it looks like I won't be getting all the Miracles until my next playthrough.

Oh and the Pyromancer got pissed at me when I gave him a dark pyromancy tome. Any ideas what I can do to make him read it? Forgot he's still alive/hasn't moved/doesn't hate me.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 16, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

axeil posted:

I think for me my level weapon may just be too high. I've taken my Uchigatana up to +9 and I never get any hits as a Darkmoon in the Archives at about level 89 or so.

However.

If I use the Dried Finger and put on Way of the Blue...it's absolute magic ::unsmigghh:

Spring for the giant seed, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just got Sunbro summoned by someone who named their character Namco Bandai. :allears: