Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
That's probably too high a fraction but the point remains.

As for Kapkan I think 50 damage is probably the right call if they're really going to go through with this stuff. Obviously without a laser an insta-kill would be too high, but three traps to kill someone means that not even the thickest dumbass is going to go through two giant explosions and then not start checking doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tumble posted:

do you guys really lay down full mags worth of automatic fire? maybe i'm just some stupid newbie but i just fire 5 or 6 rounds per burst peeking from behind cover and get my kills that way

are you guys really mad about a recoil thing or is this more about ethics in videogame journalism?

No because it's very inaccurate.

This change would make a full mag's worth of automatic fire much more easily controllable.

Orv posted:

That's probably too high a fraction but the point remains.

As for Kapkan I think 50 damage is probably the right call if they're really going to go through with this stuff. Obviously without a laser an insta-kill would be too high, but three traps to kill someone means that not even the thickest dumbass is going to go through two giant explosions and then not start checking doors.

Yeah but, Kapkan's traps aren't the only source of damage on the map.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I predict the overall damage Kapkan is going to be doing is going to be MUCH higher on average. The traps are going to be triggered way more often without the laser and you get five instead of 3. If you get the enemy to hit 3 traps in a single round you're going to be doing more overall damage than an average match now where you *might* get one kill.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 21, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah but, Kapkan's traps aren't the only source of damage on the map.

Yeah, it bears considering a change in Kapkan placement and play towards a more Echo/Ela style ambush oriented focus, but I feel like Siege is so hyper lethal that 40 damage can potentially matter not at all in the grand scheme of a single firefight. Part of me prefers leaving the laser and getting a single extra trap, so I can continue placing them in grossly out of the way entries that people take no matter where the objective is, like the stair doors on Kanal. I dunno, I do fine with Kapkan as is, not super often getting kills but they trickle in fairly regularly, and changing it to something that's potentially useful rather than potentially game changing is kind of a bummer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think those are valid concerns. I don't think that Kapkan is going to be picked any more often after the changes -- if anything, he might be picked less, because you can't hope for a lucky trap placement to take someone out of the round instantly. I know I'd be grateful as an attacker if a trap I had stumbled into incidentally didn't blow me to bits. There are better 2/2 trap-based defenders, particularly because they can place their traps pretty much anywhere they want.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just curious...if you put one of the new 40dmg Kapkan traps (which I think is way underpowered; should be 60, or at least 50) at head-height, if someone walks into it, would it still just do 40dmg, or would it be an instant kill/head-"shot", as it blew up in their face?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Just curious...if you put one of the new 40dmg Kapkan traps (which I think is way underpowered; should be 60, or at least 50) at head-height, if someone walks into it, would it still just do 40dmg, or would it be an instant kill/head-"shot", as it blew up in their face?

Explosions don't do headshots outside of the occasional fun glitch.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think those are valid concerns. I don't think that Kapkan is going to be picked any more often after the changes -- if anything, he might be picked less, because you can't hope for a lucky trap placement to take someone out of the round instantly. I know I'd be grateful as an attacker if a trap I had stumbled into incidentally didn't blow me to bits. There are better 2/2 trap-based defenders, particularly because they can place their traps pretty much anywhere they want.

I mean I think lucky is understating the potential for play value in Kapkan's current form. My most common kills are like I said, out of the way traps where people don't think to check their feet because they're too far from enemies on round one and they don't know if we roam or not. In his current form Kapkan is a situational pick with the potential for massive value on his gadgets, but with the ability to be entirely mitigated by a careful enemy team. With the change he'll still be capable of complete mitigation by a careful team but he loses the ability to definitively change the match. 40 health might guarantee you ambush two people after they hit a trap and win handily, or you might still walk around the corner into two streams of bullets. It feels like this is a change being made because they can't make him 2/2 and give him more traps without some kind of downside, but like a lot of their snap balance changes it strays too far south.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 21, 2017

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Kapkan's bombs do 60 damage to a one-armor right now. No idea where everyone got 40 from but all tests show them doing 60 to the one-armors.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The Kapkan's bombs do 60 damage to a one-armor right now. No idea where everyone got 40 from but all tests show them doing 60 to the one-armors.
From a Ubi guy's tweet. And a CM post on the TTS subreddit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ItsEpi/status/910220940604329984
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6TTS/comments/7152w7/tts_10/dn8cc2f/

Left hand, right hand yadda yadda. It's probably going to get changed around a few times until it's in a good spot. I'm getting conflicting answers on how it handles two and three armor ops (a few saying it's 60-50-40), but I don't think the number is honestly as hugely important as the overall change from lethal to non. I'm still figuring out how I feel about this one.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 21, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

60 might be too much. Gotta bear in mind that's a 100 damage buff (and enough to take out 3/5 of the enemy team) and since the lasers are invisible, you have to carefully check the frames of every door you enter. If they stick with 60, I think he'll absolutely make a comeback in ranked, with the extra time pressure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jehde posted:

Have you ever considered that having bullets go in random directions actually adds to the gameplay experience? I just can't fathom why anyone would want to remove recoil management. Unless that person just doesn't like tacticool shootmanning and just wants to repetitively swipe down and right to activate their skinner box, in which case Siege probably isn't the type of game for you.

It adds nothing to my gameplay experience, especially since the recoil management is barely there, other than a minor a annoyance once in a blue moon. And no, I don't play Siege, or any other game for that matter, because "oh wow these guns are flashy and fun" or something. It's a competitive multiplayer game, get your random immersion fix somewhere in single player.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It adds nothing to my gameplay experience, especially since the recoil management is barely there, other than a minor a annoyance once in a blue moon. And no, I don't play Siege, or any other game for that matter, because "oh wow these guns are flashy and fun" or something. It's a competitive multiplayer game, get your random immersion fix somewhere in single player.

I do play it for the competitive multiplayer experience, but you bet your bottom fuckin' dollar I don't play it to autistically memorize mouse movements.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I do play it for the competitive multiplayer experience, but you bet your bottom fuckin' dollar I don't play it to autistically memorize mouse movements.

I wonder how "autistic" you find the once inf a while evening when you read patch notes for the upcoming season.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wonder how "autistic" you find the once inf a while evening when you read patch notes for the upcoming season.

??? I don't even understand what your argument is here. If I'm gonna keep playing with the big boys next season, I'm gonna have to memorize recoil patterns. That's sure as sweet gently caress not why I play this game. It's dull, esportsy, and bad, and you're bad if you think it would be good.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

??? I don't even understand what your argument is here. If I'm gonna keep playing with the big boys next season, I'm gonna have to memorize recoil patterns. That's sure as sweet gently caress not why I play this game. It's dull, esportsy, and bad, and you're bad if you think it would be good.

It occurred to me a bit ago he is just a bad troll. Don't take the bait.

Also I like the idea that people keep saying like "Fixed recoil adds skill, rng recoil is just bad for esports." When in fact being able to compensate for RNG recoil is actually really loving hard and takes quite a bit more skill than just memorizing "Pull down and left"

I mean look at this poo poo: https://clips.twitch.tv/SlickSpikyShingleNotLikeThis

Wow such skill! No way that will be able to be macro'd either. No way no sir.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 21, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm getting at the how how trivial it is, ergo how full, esportsy, and bad it must be for you to read patch notes each season to learn what are they key changes this time around.

Knifegrab posted:

It occurred to me a bit ago he is just a bad troll. Don't take the bait.

Also I like the idea that people keep saying like "Fixed recoil adds skill, rng recoil is just bad for esports." When in fact being able to compensate for RNG recoil is actually really loving hard and takes quite a bit more skill than just memorizing "Pull down and left"

I mean look at this poo poo: https://clips.twitch.tv/SlickSpikyShingleNotLikeThis

Wow such skill! No way that will be able to be macro'd either. No way no sir.

Talking about being a troll, to praise ability to predict RNG spikes. You sure you don't want back to your reddit hugbox with hivemind opinion or something?

Besides, you're still entirely blindsided by the point I made about macros.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm getting at the how how trivial it is, ergo how full, esportsy, and bad it must be for you to read patch notes each season to learn what are they key changes this time around.

Not even close to a comparison. Holy poo poo, reading a page or two to keep up with the meta? That's just as spergy as dedicating hours of my time memorizing the way I have to move my cursor for each operator I play in order to not lose to sweaty ranked tryhards and their zero recoil.

Like, are you even hearing yourself? "How bad it must be for you to read patch notes each season." At least finding out what Ubisoft is gonna gently caress up next is kinda fun. There's nothing fun about fixed recoil.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Talking about being a troll, to praise ability to predict RNG spikes. You sure you don't want back to your reddit hugbox with hivemind opinion or something?

Besides, you're still entirely blindsided by the point I made about macros.

:ironicat:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not even close to a comparison. Holy poo poo, reading a page or two to keep up with the meta? That's just as spergy as dedicating hours of my time memorizing the way I have to move my cursor for each operator I play in order to not lose to sweaty ranked tryhards and their zero recoil.

Like, are you even hearing yourself? "How bad it must be for you to read patch notes each season." At least finding out what Ubisoft is gonna gently caress up next is kinda fun. There's nothing fun about fixed recoil.

You are crying wolf about dedicating a few hours of your time to learn 6 recoil patterns in a competitive game. Whole 2 (two) or 3 (three) hours of your time, m'lord, can you imagine it?

Talk about hearing yourself. "Hard, please never make major changes to the game because it will force me to learn to stay competitive in the changing environment of the game. :qq:"

Maybe you should just play casual if sweaty ranked tryhards are the real problem here?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

And no, I don't play Siege, or any other game for that matter, because "oh wow these guns are flashy and fun" or something. It's a competitive multiplayer game, get your random immersion fix somewhere in single player.

Get your line memorization fix somewhere in CS:GO.

It's pretty obvious that it's not the fact that I have to spend 2-3 hours, but that that's hours of my time I'd really rather not spend on that. If you argue with that, you really are just trolling.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Get your line memorization fix somewhere in CS:GO.

It's pretty obvious that it's not the fact that I have to spend 2-3 hours, but that that's hours of my time I'd really rather not spend on that. If you argue with that, you really are just trolling.

I'm not suggesting what you should do with your time, by any means, no. I just don't find the problem anywhere close to as nefarious myself as it appears to be painted.

Either way, you can always get your fix of significantly randomised recoil in other games too. :tipshat:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Let's check out the R6 subreddit:

quote:

The Latest Patch for Rainbow 6 Siege on PS4 is Causing the Possible Corruption of Hard Drives If Players Try to Access Their Friends List

well okay then.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:downsbravo:

Ubisoft is having a tough time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CSGOs recoil patterns work because there is a bit of randomness to them, even with perfect macro control. If siege is going to make their patterns that predictable when using sights they might as well just remove ADS recoil entirely and put everyone on a level playing field.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Great Beer posted:

CSGOs recoil patterns work because there is a bit of randomness to them, even with perfect macro control. If siege is going to make their patterns that predictable when using sights they might as well just remove ADS recoil entirely and put everyone on a level playing field.

CS GO also has an issue with macros though. Yes the variance helps but hoooo boy is it easy to never have to think about recoil management in that game if you so choose.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

CS GO also has an issue with macros though. Yes the variance helps but hoooo boy is it easy to never have to think about recoil management in that game if you so choose.
CS:GO does not have an issue with macros, since they are so trash the play falls even before reaching meaningful ranks.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 21, 2017

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
CS:GO also has like twice the time-to-kill then Siege does, so recoil patterns matter more there. Especially with things like bulletpunch and non-lethal headshots.

I still think that i prefer what we have in Siege now to any fixed weapon pattern, but I guess I'll have to wait for these changes to drop to see if it does affect gunfeel. Are the patterns even gonna be a thing when not aiming down sights?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kikas posted:

CS:GO also has like twice the time-to-kill then Siege does, so recoil patterns matter more there. Especially with things like bulletpunch and non-lethal headshots.

I still think that i prefer what we have in Siege now to any fixed weapon pattern, but I guess I'll have to wait for these changes to drop to see if it does affect gunfeel. Are the patterns even gonna be a thing when not aiming down sights?

Why wouldn't they, they've reworked the entire recoil mechanism grounds up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Excellent new thread title.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kikas posted:

Are the patterns even gonna be a thing when not aiming down sights?

They are. This video shows off every gun and its spray pattern.

https://youtu.be/pUn6ssSw1oc

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

:thunk: hello hard

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ubisoft does not care about such lowly information mediums as text.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

lol we faced them a week or two ago. I reported them but I think we all know the reports go straight into the garbage.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They are clearly quintuplets born on the 14th of some random month in 1988.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Azran posted:

They are clearly quintuplets born on the 14th of some random month in 1988.

First of April, duh.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Dearest Hard,

By the time I am done with Destiny 2, thanks to my good friend alcohol, I will have totally forgotten how your broken game plays. I won't really notice how you implement recoil. I'll just play the cool new operators that I missed and go on believing this game is cool and good. I will play your game for another 60 hours. I will have zero recollection about how it played before. Make whatever changes you want.

Xoxo,

Peacock

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Excellent new thread title.

Request to change thread title to Rainbow 6 Siege: Recoil Management 101 - Back and to the Left.

IceOrb fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 21, 2017

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
But I just asked nicely for the new one :(

e: while it's fun to poo poo all over Hard, remember that he's not the one that decides what lovely changes go in the game.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 21, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The current thread title is extremely needs suiting, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

How recent is that and is it your own picture?

Also, i think the new thread title really fits the usual vibe here.

e:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Let's check out the R6 subreddit:

well okay then.

It was on Sony's side. Related to their new firmware. They seem to have fixed it.. but loving Ubisoft amiriiiight?

Hard fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 21, 2017

• Locked thread