Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

eXXon posted:

Most of all I hate noble missions to walk halfway across the map, kill a few greenskins and trudge all the way back for a paltry sum. At least show the location on the map before I have to accept (yes they usually tell you the nearest town but not if it's a half-days march away through mountains and swamps).

I think when comes to garbage contracts, nothing can be worse than monster hunting. Why yes, Fickhard von Arschberg, I'd love to wander half of the map and kill several Schrats for you (which will probably wipe out half of my roster) in exchange for 150 ducats per head.

I realize that monster parts are supposed to be the real reward, but I never found them very useful aside ingredients for some items such as Bone Greaves. Potions are beyond useless, given that most of them work for several turns only and can't be used in melee. And usually I can't even make that, I just wander around with random parts and can pay the taxidermist to made them into paint. gently caress yeah, turning those ultra-rare Petrified Screams into black paint seems like a sensible choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Schrats drop the stuff you need for living wood shields; which are pretty good. Several of them shouldn’t be killing your dudes by the point where you can accept noble contracts.

Potions are pretty useless, although I keep a stock of antidotes, arrow poisons, and apothecary’s miracle.

The other stuff is pretty useful though - better shields; armour attachments, heavy doggo armour, high capacity quivers, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Unhold parts are great, you can make better dog armour, better quivers for arrows and bolts, and two good armour attachments (the one that negates the first hit you take and, if you kill the snow unholds, the one that reduces damage-through-armour--both those attachments are imo really good for people with low ranged defence who don't want to die to random crossbow shots). Schrats let you make better shields than anything besides uniques. Direwolves let you make another really good armour attachment. Nachzehrers, Alps, and Hexen let you make resolve-boosting necklaces. Lindwurms, if you can find them, let you make yet another really good armour attachment and another good shield.

The question is really, which of those things are worth the huge pain of fighting something like lindwurms or unholds or schrats? And my answer is, usually I just avoid them because the randomness of maybe getting those ingredients usually isn't worth the very annoying and potentially deadly fight.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I will kill lindwurms from time to time because that shield is better than living wood IMO because it has more durability. Also lindwurms capes are very good attachments, I prefer them to bone armor since that boost to durability for less fatigue than heraldic works with BF well. I think someone did the math on bone graves being slightly better but not a fan of the look either :v:

Schrats feel really trivial once you have a bunch of good 2H bros but YMMV, 2H Axes kill their shield in one hit. Same with regular unholds although frost stay a bit tedious forever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Schrats are trivial with good bros if you kite them out of their forest and then just surround them on open ground. In forests they're still a huge pain even with a high-level company. Lindwurms imo stay annoying forever, and regular unholds get easy but the frost ones don't. At least alps aren't an enormous pain in the rear end anymore.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Schrats drop the stuff you need for living wood shields; which are pretty good. Several of them shouldn’t be killing your dudes by the point where you can accept noble contracts.

They do, though. The reason is that they have insane armor penetration. One hit is usually enough to cripple a bro (without Nimble or Battle Forged), two or three will kill him. Given that the AI in this game does everything to gently caress up your company the most, it means either having to replace some dudes after the end of the fight, or at least waiting until their fractured skulls and broken legs mend.

It's not that bad with normal contacts to kill them (the ones available in villages), but the noble ones are insane. One Schrat or Lindwurm usually pays less than the cost of Medical Supplies and Tools that will be used after the fight, even if no one does.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Saying Schrats are doable at noble contract level is gonna get people killed. At that point you can take 1 or 2 at a time without losses, any more than that and you're probably gonna start losing people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Don't get me wrong, I never accept noble beast hunting quests because they're a gargantuan waste of time; between travel and searching for the beasts in question; but really the only beast that's really a super big deal combat wise is the Lindwurm. Spiders, wolves and Nachzehrers aren't a big deal. I'd put them on par with bandit raiders, maybe lower for the spiders. Alps are super easy now too.

Unholds will give you a few injuries, but they really aren't that bad. Even relatively early - think day 30ish I'd take on 1-2 of them (maybe not the white ones). By first crisis you really, really ought to be able to kill 3-4 of them without a fatality. Groups larger than that are fairly uncommon; but my guys (just after second crisis) were unexpectedly ambushed by 11 Unholds (brown/grey ones) at night and dealt with them without a death. This was during an exploration far from home. Yes your guys get battered around a bit fighting them, but it's not a big deal to visit a temple and wait a few days. It's not like the game puts you under intense deadlines, it's fine to chill for a bit and heal.

Schrats are super annoying, but fairly uncommon. I only bother going after them if I specifically want to grind their parts, since the fights are annoying; but again, not that bad once you have some damage dealers and the appropriate guys to break their shield. I'd say 1 Schrat equals 2 unholds. take out a couple of small groups to get the parts you need then ignore them for the rest of the game. I fought 7 of them once late game and that was very hard - took several tries to beat the fight without a death. I normally wouldn't try and take on more than 3 or 4 even late game, but you rarely see groups larger than that. I once fought 2 schrats relatively early - maybe day 50-60 - and that wasn't too bad.

Hexen are annoying but they seem to move forward more often now, which makes them easier to kill with your archers - I did the witch's hut in one try this time round and it was super easy, I remember it being much more challenging in the past. I emphasise resolve a lot though; my front line has 50-60 (including necklaces) on every dude.

Lindwurms are the only enemy where I usually have to kite them to another group of enemies or mercenaries, or try multiple times to kill them without dying. I did manage to kill 4 of them once around the time of the first crisis on my own without a death, but it took half a dozen tries. I'd still balk at taking on more than 2 before first crisis, and more than 4 later on.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 19, 2019

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
I picked this up during the fall sale and it's pretty fun despite the difficulty curve. I've been playing on beginner-ironman and I was starting to feel like I was getting it. I finally had a stable company of 12 dudes, made it to day 50, actually had mail on everyone...and promptly got wiped by the first pack of lindwurms I've ever seen.

At least I'm one step closer on the achievement to wipe an ironman game 10 times.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah same, games awesome. I've modded the crap out of it with everything on Nexus (the legends mod is awesome, lots of content), and then modded a bunch more stuff myself. This game is super addicting.

(sorry)

Garfu fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 5, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Caf posted:

I picked this up during the fall sale and it's pretty fun despite the difficulty curve. I've been playing on beginner-ironman and I was starting to feel like I was getting it. I finally had a stable company of 12 dudes, made it to day 50, actually had mail on everyone...and promptly got wiped by the first pack of lindwurms I've ever seen.

At least I'm one step closer on the achievement to wipe an ironman game 10 times.

Yeah lindwurms are individually the toughest non boss enemies in the game. Even one of them will basically wreck you at that point in the game. Even for a late game company trying to take on more than 3-4 of them will end with casualties.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Garfu posted:

Yeah same, games awesome. I've modded the crap out of it with everything on Nexus (the legends mod is awesome, lots of content), and then modded a bunch more stuff myself. This game is super addicting.

(sorry)

Post your modlist, coward!

I kind of want to get back into the game, and am curious which mods goons are using/recommending.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah lindwurms are individually the toughest non boss enemies in the game. Even one of them will basically wreck you at that point in the game. Even for a late game company trying to take on more than 3-4 of them will end with casualties.

You can avoid contact via kiting strats, you need a bunch of dudes with bows, xbows, and polearms/axes/hammers to make it work though. Like no 1-tile weapons period unless you have a superbro or 2 with a lindwurm immune helmet and lindwurm cape attachment so the acid does nothing when hit who is also dodging everything via high MDef.

Basically, you end every turn 2+ spaces from the heads and they cannot attack the next turn. The tails have no ZoC, which I think a lot of people overlook. It takes a bit of practice and luck, but I’ve taken down packs of 9 lindwurms with no losses this way.

Oh yeah it also takes like 15+ turns, sometimes 20 if it’s 8-9 wurms so YMMV.

I tend to just skip most wurms fights unless I have the crew/patience for it or can kite them into decent enemies like Orcs or Unholds. Lindwurm capes are pretty solid though, same as heraldic but with half the fatigue hit.

You can also try to shield tank but with both the head and tail doing damage and the tail stunning it’s a crapshoot without indom/refresh cycling.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 5, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Do mods work with a GOG copy or are they Steam only?

I stopped playing this shortly before the expansion came out because it no longer worked on my laptop, so I've been out of the loop. Any other big news?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

They work on any version, nexus seems to be the primary spot to download them. I'll have a list up this evening.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm genuinely surprised the dlc haven't had a sale yet. I've been waiting but I might just pick them up at christmas regardless of whether they get a discount.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Here's my current mod list, in order of most downloaded from https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/:

quote:

Legends - Huge content mod. A few really neat features and loads of content, better to read up on it here and here as there are many integrated mods. If I'm missing some obvious ones on the overall list, it's because it's already integrated into Legends.
Modding script hooks - required for pretty much every mod
Tryout Talents - Reveals both the talent stars and skills when trying out a new brother
Settlement Situation Tooltips - Shows the effects of the settlement situation in the tooltip in the settlement interface.
Tweaks and Fixes - Something like 30 tweaks, of which I use: AmmoNet, AmmoThrowSpear, triesBowyer
XP in reserve - Reserve units receive some XP after battle. I've edited this to give a little more. Reserve units do a whole lot now with the Legends mod wrt camping
Show Enemy Stats
No Hit Percentage Cap - I had to make this edit myself to be compatible with Legends
Proximity Settlement Prices - But set to always, not proximity based. Shows you a ratio of Buy/Sell prices when hovering over a settlement so you can more easily know where to travel to buy things low and sell things high.
Veteran Level Buffs - Edited to give another perk every 4 veteran levels
Increased Champion Spawn Rate - Not sure how this interacts with Legends...
No More Permanent Injuries - Adds a time and bandage amount needed to treat permanent injuries. So something like a broken arm can heal from between 10-40 days, and less if treated with a large amount of bandages while camping.
Stop Auto End Turn Adrenaline
One Final Conquests - Adds a kinda end game after the crisis'
Like I said, there are a bunch that I skipped over in that list because they are already integrated into Legends. Check those links to see which ones.

I've also done a ton of tweaking on my own after decompiling everything that allows me to actually enjoy the Legendary (new difficulty from legends mod) content. Things like adding AP points for certain perks and adjusting stat gains. Nothing too cheaty, but stuff that probably makes Legendary difficulty feel like expert or veteran since there is completely new content in Legendary that I wouldn't otherwise experience because it's extremely brutal.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 5, 2019

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
You assbutts, now I started up battle brothers, I've still got to finish battle tech and total war three kingdoms was on sale so I've got that and ahhhhuhu.

Golden age of games

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

El Spamo posted:

You assbutts, now I started up battle brothers, I've still got to finish battle tech and total war three kingdoms was on sale so I've got that and ahhhhuhu.

Golden age of games

I've put 658 hours into battle brothers so far, so good luck with getting to those other ones

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It's not quite so bad on beginner level, but the 'standard' or veteran battle difficulty level is just... do you guys savescum relentlessly or what?

Even a two-skull start (installed Legends, which has a lot of cool new toys) seems incredibly brutal at the beginning and an 'easy' mission is 6 nachtzherers vs. at most 3 guys which is just a steamroller of murder.

Also, for skill levels, there's a lot of talk about the number values that the bros are supposed to have for just being viable, irrespective of specific builds (25+ m.def for a two-hander, 70+ m.attack, 120+ fatigue, 50+ resolve), but what is the level-level that you're getting these values at? Max-level, 11+? Again, is it aggressive savescumming to dig out the gems from the hiring pool?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

El Spamo posted:

It's not quite so bad on beginner level, but the 'standard' or veteran battle difficulty level is just... do you guys savescum relentlessly or what?

Even a two-skull start (installed Legends, which has a lot of cool new toys) seems incredibly brutal at the beginning and an 'easy' mission is 6 nachtzherers vs. at most 3 guys which is just a steamroller of murder.

Also, for skill levels, there's a lot of talk about the number values that the bros are supposed to have for just being viable, irrespective of specific builds (25+ m.def for a two-hander, 70+ m.attack, 120+ fatigue, 50+ resolve), but what is the level-level that you're getting these values at? Max-level, 11+? Again, is it aggressive savescumming to dig out the gems from the hiring pool?

Ideally you don't want to be taking two skull missions with only three dudes. I'd stay away from even two skulls/high payouts until you've got at least 6-7 competent lads.

So when they're talking about hitting those values, it is at veteran levels, 11+. For high end jobs, like swordsmasters, raiders, sellswords, their base stats let them usually hit those levels to some degree without considering their star placement. Mid-tier levels such as squires, wildmen or disowned nobles/bastards can also hit those levels too. Your low level peasants are typically going to need very good star placement, good initial spread and more than a smidge of luck to hit all those requirements. Oftentimes you'll need to make concessions.

Typically you're just taking what you can get early game. Your starting 3 brothers will need to pull more than their fair share of weight. You'll definitely hire duds (if you're not savescumming recruits or just modding it to see their stats) and for all intents and purposes those duds are ablative armor for your eventual good recruits. Good recruits go in the back with 2 longhanders until they level up some (typically getting battleforged or their required perk for their build) while chaff goes up front with whatever shield/armor they can comfortably use. Eventually you'll have a crew of veterans that aren't quite up to the late game battles, but they're excellent babysitters while you train up their next generation.

One additional thing is to build your chaff for the short term. Fast adaptation, extra build points, shield expert, collosus, fortified mind. Whatever can give them extra points NOW that are points that keep them alive for one turn longer. Occasionally you'll have one make it to veteran levels and you've got a gimped character. In that case either retire them, or maybe use them as a company mascot. Or have them 1v1 an Orc Warlord. Your men will speak of that character fondly around the campfires in the years to come.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Some people do, I just run campaigns and take my lumps. Sometimes the game shits on me, sometimes it feeds me really easy levels. I wouldn't really blame anyone for savescumming though, after a 9 hour campaign i think it'd take someone stronger than I to accept half the company getting one shot by chosen.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
This game is weirdly roguelike in that respect. For all that talk about never putting a two-handed weapon in the hands of a guy with less than stellar melee defense, I should totally do that for a peasant mook with a decent to-hit and let him do as much damage as possible before he inevitably eats it.

So do you save up to invest in an expensive hire and then wrap that guy in bubble wrap until he levels up a half-dozen times?
Then just hire a bunch of beggars and cripples and give them a shield and whatever random trash is lying around. I really really take too good of care of my bros, my obituary list is way too short. I'm playing the game like Myth, trying to get no-casualty runs. How often do you take casualties? Also, this game should have that voice clip play when a guy dies. "Casualty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9of1q1YZw

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Spamo posted:

This game is weirdly roguelike in that respect. For all that talk about never putting a two-handed weapon in the hands of a guy with less than stellar melee defense, I should totally do that for a peasant mook with a decent to-hit and let him do as much damage as possible before he inevitably eats it.

So do you save up to invest in an expensive hire and then wrap that guy in bubble wrap until he levels up a half-dozen times?
Then just hire a bunch of beggars and cripples and give them a shield and whatever random trash is lying around. I really really take too good of care of my bros, my obituary list is way too short. I'm playing the game like Myth, trying to get no-casualty runs. How often do you take casualties? Also, this game should have that voice clip play when a guy dies. "Casualty"

I hear it in my head, though. Every time one of my bros dies.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

El Spamo posted:

I like to view my roster as coming in "waves". You should have three decent starting brothers if you're just doing the standard start (they have their stars set too) - if you're like me, you're scouring for map seeds to guarantee these guys have good traits. Your first wave of recruits is going to essentially be any farmers, fishers, apprentices or so-called lowborn jobs fit to hold a sword and a board while your good starting bros use polearms to stay safe behind the battle line. As mentioned above, this first wave you're going to want to focus on perks that impact their stats for benefits NOW - fast adaptation, iron will, gifted and shield expert. If you luck out and find a lowborn recruit with decent starting stats AND stars, you may want to look at more long-term perks - things like student. I would say that it's very hard to go wrong with colossus, as the benefit it provides is both immediately impactful and scales really well to the late game. You can totally find thieves, apprentices and other recruits who will scale into the late game with a little bit of luck.

Eventually, you'll hit a point where you're a little more established and can start being more selective in who you recruit. In this second wave, you're probably going to start looking for wildmen, squires, militiamen. These guys tend to have much better starting stats and, if the stars are in the right stats, you can begin building them for late-game service.

Finally, you'll hit a point where money isn't really a day-to-day concern anymore. Now, you'll be looking at bringing on recruits that are hedge knights, sellswords, and raiders. I've never had much luck with the noble backgrounds but a few of them have really good starting stats. These guys should grab student ASAP so you can bring them up to speed with your established vets. Basically as you move from one wave to the next, use the best brothers of the previous wave to guard and babysit the new hires from the next.

This doesn't really get into tracking good ranged recruits, which is honestly a pain and very time-consuming. I find this to be one of the most RNG-driven parts of the game, you really need a hunter with both good starting R. Attk values AND 2-3 stars in it to get the kind of superstar archers you'll want for the late game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Archers are so goddamn difficult to find.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

dogstile posted:

Archers are so goddamn difficult to find.

Agreed, it's a total PITA - however, I've started using a hybrid throwing weapon + polearm user build that was recommended to me for high-level barbarian fights as a part of my general line up, and have found that helps ease the pain. You definitely still need 2 or 3 superstar archers for a few of the lategame fights and at least one to help snipe necromancer or other magic users. One of my biggest wishes for a battle brothers 2 (if it exists) is more variety for ranged backgrounds.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

El Spamo posted:

If you're still new to the game you might consider not using Legends. From what I hear it's really badly balanced and a mod that adds a whole bunch of stuff is a good way to make learning a game much harder than it needs to be.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Not so much new to the game as stepping up the difficulty from the training-wheels settings to the more standard levels. Legends has a bunch of new toys too which is kinda why I dug it back up, it brightened things up a bit and added some cool new starts.

Some cool new starts that might not be what they say on the tin difficulty-wise.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
can I just say how thankful I am that this game doesnt randomize what stats a recruit that has levels already picks and lets you pick instead

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

El Spamo posted:

Not so much new to the game as stepping up the difficulty from the training-wheels settings to the more standard levels. Legends has a bunch of new toys too which is kinda why I dug it back up, it brightened things up a bit and added some cool new starts.

Some cool new starts that might not be what they say on the tin difficulty-wise.

Heard about this legends mod, but haven't gotten around to testing it. Has anyone played a full campaign and can recommend? Enjoying my current Lone Wolf, though still haven't found the finest of recruits. I hear you play with far fewer men in general? I quite enjoy wandering about with just a few massive powerhouses.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Heard about this legends mod, but haven't gotten around to testing it. Has anyone played a full campaign and can recommend? Enjoying my current Lone Wolf, though still haven't found the finest of recruits. I hear you play with far fewer men in general? I quite enjoy wandering about with just a few massive powerhouses.

I'm the exact opposite. I like human swarm tactics. With dogs. There are battles where I'll have 28 allies on the field due to my men and their dogs.

Side note, does anyone know how XP works? At the end of fights I like letting 8 dogs loose and kill the remaining brigands/goblins. Am I losing XP when the dogs get the kills?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

As I understand it, everyone gets a share of the xp from each kill, with whoever got the kill getting a bonus. So if a dog gets the kill I assume you’re missing out on at least the bonus. I’ve noticed that when allied parties kill something you don’t get any experience for it. Not sure if dogs are the same or count as part of your party.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I'm getting back into BB after a year or two, and I'm just wondering...are there any general tips for playing with the 'lone wolf' start? Right now I blew most of my budget on two spearmen and a backline pitchfork guy, to work with my lesder. It seems like a tough start though, seeing as you don't start with any help OR much money. Thsnkfully I bagged an easy job to kill a few of those nazscherhererer guys (yeah I can't remember their name, after all this time) so I've got a tiny bit of cash in the bank..but well, I don't see myself being able to take out any groups of stronger foes

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

El Spamo posted:

The boring answer is to pick up only those fights which you are able to win relatively without effort. Yeah, killing the barbarian king will meet you several thousand and maybe some sweet loot if you're lucky... But you'll have to send your best fighters at him and he WILL gently caress them up, disabling them for many days in best case and forcing you to lose insane amounts of Tools and Medical Supplies. And, more likely, he'll kill at least one or two, and replacing them and their armors will cost you several thousand.

Same goes for Lindwurms in any amount, Schrats and Hexes when there are more than two. Choose noble contracts carefully, because some are trap options which will either pay pitifully low ("kill some Schrats for the amount of gold that won't cover the cost of actually walking half of the map"), or spring murderous surprises on you ("assist me with the castle siege, did I mention that after the first battle you'll fight even more enemies right away? oops, my bad"). Always have as much people as possible, to replace the wounded. And if a contract goes slightly difficult, ditch it like it was radioactive – when you escort a caravan and see three armies of greenskins coming at you, there is no point in even trying to defend it.

Edit: Also, use the whip. It looks like a gimmick weapon that's rarely useful, but it's actually insanely powerful. Disarm is almost like Stun, except that it always works if you hit and it has a much bigger range. The default attack will absolutely murder any enemy without armor, which makes it work marvelously with hammers (or even without against Unholds and Nachtzerers).

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 16, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My usual route with Lone Wolf is to stay solo, grab a dog, and get him up to level 5-6 on bandits or other easy fights. Once he’s 5-6 he can pretty safely deal with a few raiders at a time too (assuming your spending on MAtk and MDef and in this case, Resolve), especially once you get Berserking and the extra attack. Get some mail and decent helmets while alone and then start cherry picking dudes instead of just grabbing whoever. You want to build up a small core around the monster player character, snowballing slowly by picking good battles till you have a decent core of 6-8 guys. In a Lone Wolf game it’s partly luck as much as anything else; if you get ambushed or don’t get any good recruits by like Day 60 it’s usually worth considering restarting as the first Crisis will not be pleasant.

I’ve taken a few Lone Wolf games to >500 and it’s my favorite start; having that core guy to build around is super helpful once you get the hang of it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As a lone wolf it's well worth cruising around solo looking for a training hall to get over the early game hump. And yeah don't hire anyone until you're leveled up a bit.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah, fair enough - I was starting ro suspect that it'd be a good idea to go solo for a bit, and get some more cash while I'm at it.

So what was the deal with training halls, again? I think they were introduced right around when I stopped playing. They give you some XP or an XP boost, right? Are they particularly expensive?

Oh, and by the way - what about perks? At this point I've gone for nine lives, colossus and steel brow for survivability. Although I'm not sure if there are better options for a solo guy, these days

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nine lives is bad. You’re better off taking skills that help you not lose all your HP in the first place. If nine lives activates you’ll probably just die next hit anyway since you’re probably already surrounded and on low morale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
With the lone wolf origin I actually start recruiting dudes right away. I tried going solo once or twice and it wasn't fun at all.

I don't think I've ever picked nine lives. I'd say pick either colossus or steel brow; taking both is kinda overkill imo. Fortified mind is probably not a bad pick if you intend to go solo for a while since you'll be surrounded all the time and hitting those low morale states can put you in a death spiral pretty quick.