Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

DeathSandwich posted:

Do we have anyone planning on getting in on Quarm's iksar early access? I've really been thinking about rolling up a monk and watching the madness. Should be interesting without having access to twink gear / chanter jewelry and the like for a month

It’d be fun to roll up and grind out silks from the spider caves and grind brewing up for heady kiola for some sweet cured silk action but man, I just don’t have the time and my bone knight and mage on blue are a lot chiller for dad mode these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Dipping a toe back in on Green after a two year break. I've got a 60 enchanter, 56 SK, and a Druid at 45. I'm looking for a new guild. I was in Castle before but left this week when all the guild chat was people I didn't know asking for ports or rezes or free gear. No banter or conversation, just that.

Anyone know of a guild that's smaller, more casual, maybe focused more on leveling? I'm not really into raiding now so more just looking for somewhere I can dick around in guild chat or get a group in a weird zone.

E: also holy poo poo that decision to buy a second Circlet of Shadow for 6k before the nerf really paid off. Between that and the ornate velium pendant I have sitting somewhere I think I might make a fungi monk

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 18, 2024

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
if that monk is an iksar i'd just join ancient blood

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

DeathSandwich posted:

Do we have anyone planning on getting in on Quarm's iksar early access? I've really been thinking about rolling up a monk and watching the madness. Should be interesting without having access to twink gear / chanter jewelry and the like for a month

against my better judgement, i'm strongly considering rolling an iksar shaman. they'll hopefully be in demand for easy grouping. Losing out on jaundiced armor blows, but oh well. Still a little while to change my mind and go necro/monk, but I may just save those for later on - 9 months is a long time.

Regardless of what I pick, I'm super excited. Everyone running around untwinked, almost like a new server launch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't remember when (or if?) shaman get stun resistance, but if you're going to be playing one in the later levels, the frontal stun immunity that all ogres get is something to consider. You can get better gear to improve regen, you can't get better gear to improve your stun resistance. While iksar are the master race, they aren't as adorable as an ogre with snot dripping down his grinning cheeks.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Pretty high odds secrets will let iksar use jaundiced anyway

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not sure I will roll an Iksar. Maybe I will I dunno. I'm closing in on my third 50 on Quarm so I don't know if I necessarily have the appetite to level 1-50 again right now, although I guess being Kunark-locked it'd be a new leveling experience.

I have pretty much everything I can get (in era) for the Mage Epic now though and I'm pretty excited about that. I don't think most of the other stuff will be too difficult to get once Kunark drops. I've never had an epic in EQ so that will be cool to accomplish.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
I'm likely going to try out an iksar necro on quarm, never played a pure caster before. Currently just farting around on a 50 monk, and leveling a 25ish bard

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've mostly been focusing on on my quarm bard as my main, but I've got the kit to start a cleric and like 1/3rd of a SK twink kit.

I'll get in on iksar as a monk and just do what I can with what I got. Cured silk shouldn't be too hard to train into with enough time in the field of bone spider caves.

Aside from that I was thinking about one of the pet classes eventually, but I'll probably just get in on like a troll beastlord in luclin. Just me and Mr chompers eating our way to the moon.

Someone sell me on mage vs necro vs blord. I was always kind of a fan of the beastlord philosophy of actually caring about the pet (see: best pet heals and buffs), vs mages and necros treating them as being more disposable. Do blords actually hold up in luclin / pop endgame or are they just a solo / duo class for people who will never step into the raid zones?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 23, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

I've mostly been focusing on on my quarm bard as my main, but I've got the kit to start a cleric and like 1/3rd of a SK twink kit.

I'll get in on iksar as a monk and just do what I can with what I got. Cured silk shouldn't be too hard to train into with enough time in the field of bone spider caves.

Aside from that I was thinking about one of the pet classes eventually, but I'll probably just get in on like a troll beastlord in luclin. Just me and Mr chompers eating our way to the moon.

Someone sell me on mage vs necro vs blord. I was always kind of a fan of the beastlord philosophy of actually caring about the pet (see: best pet heals and buffs), vs mages and necros treating them as being more disposable. Do blords actually hold up in luclin / pop endgame or are they just a solo / duo class for people who will never step into the raid zones?

My main is a Mage on Quarm. It's a nice relaxing class. The pet is tremendously strong whether soloing or in a group. You're a great solo and group dps class. In raids you don't do a lot other than sending your pet in and summoning mod rods for people. Maybe ds-ing the tank. The epic figures to be a lot easier to get on Quarm than it was on P99 and my understanding is the Mage Epic is pretty strong.

Necromancers have a much more exciting kit than Mages do. They get a lot of different things they can do which gives them greater flexibility especially when it comes to what they can solo.

I don't know anything about Beastlords to be honest. Never played that era of EQ.

Imo for Mage vs Necro it comes down to whether you want a tightly focused class with a diesel pet or whether you want a class that also gets a powerful pet but has way more tricks up its sleeve.

I think if I do end up playing an Iksar it will probably be a Necro

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

knob posted:

against my better judgement, i'm strongly considering rolling an iksar shaman. they'll hopefully be in demand for easy grouping. Losing out on jaundiced armor blows, but oh well. Still a little while to change my mind and go necro/monk, but I may just save those for later on - 9 months is a long time.

Regardless of what I pick, I'm super excited. Everyone running around untwinked, almost like a new server launch.

If you want the regen bonus on a shaman, I'd just go Troll so you can use Jaundiced. If you go Innoruuk you can also get the snare neck which is cool.

P.S. I set up a Teek channel on the discord if anyone is interested in that classic era TLP, but we also have a Quarm channel, too.

https://discord.gg/uAgST5Ee

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

My main is a Mage on Quarm. It's a nice relaxing class. The pet is tremendously strong whether soloing or in a group. You're a great solo and group dps class. In raids you don't do a lot other than sending your pet in and summoning mod rods for people. Maybe ds-ing the tank. The epic figures to be a lot easier to get on Quarm than it was on P99 and my understanding is the Mage Epic is pretty strong.

Necromancers have a much more exciting kit than Mages do. They get a lot of different things they can do which gives them greater flexibility especially when it comes to what they can solo.

I don't know anything about Beastlords to be honest. Never played that era of EQ.

Imo for Mage vs Necro it comes down to whether you want a tightly focused class with a diesel pet or whether you want a class that also gets a powerful pet but has way more tricks up its sleeve.

I think if I do end up playing an Iksar it will probably be a Necro

Yeah, mage is like a sledgehammer. It does one thing well and thats it. Necro is more like a swiss army knife. Your pet is merely part of your kit rather than being your entire kit for the most part. Never played a beastlord myself, but afaik they were considered very strong for the luclin to POP time period.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
If you like hearing a skeleton cackle a lot play necromancer, it rules

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

After using Zeal for a bit it feels almost mandatory for Quarm. Most importantly it fixes the camera, but it also adds spell sets which is a huge QoL boost if you play a buff heavy class in groups.

Also, it somehow adds floating damage numbers to the game

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Got a fungi monk running around at like level 25 on green. Glad I spent for the fungi, because 1) it’s fun as poo poo and 2) a lot of lowbie areas are deserted. Unrest still gets a group or two going on busy nights but I think Quarm is where a lot of people are leveling new characters now.

It could also be that I’m just going weird places because feign death is awesome. Crawling Najena solo is cool when you can just duck around a corner and play dead if you aggro too many goblins.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Flavahbeast posted:

After using Zeal for a bit it feels almost mandatory for Quarm. Most importantly it fixes the camera, but it also adds spell sets which is a huge QoL boost if you play a buff heavy class in groups.

Everything Zeal does is magic and I can’t believe how useful it keeps being.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Greens low level population is super dependent on raid spawn windows too

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Flavahbeast posted:

All this actually got me to install Quarm and wow this is some nice QoL stuff. Now I just have to get used to the differences between p99 and enjoy the struggle of being an actual newbie again!

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
Pretty cool, they gave iksar necros iksar skeleton pets. Not sure if that's a takp thing or quarm specific (level 8 vs level 12)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Does that also affect lich? Thatll make me play quarm

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It’s a Quarm thing, for pets. Secrets also was open to the idea of making gnome necro pets small. Lich would be awesome, but don’t believe anyone is near the level yet to find out for certain. Quarm has been a fun time, would recommend it as someone who played p99 last a decade ago, and TLPs off and on since. Instance raiding but everything else feels old jank enough.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
The race should be based on the race of the skeleton that dropped the bone chips imo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

smiling giraffe posted:

The race should be based on the race of the skeleton that dropped the bone chips imo

this would be sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

Added Gnome-sized Skeletons to Gnome Necromancers
[Pending] The "Lich" line will now turn gnome necromancers into a smaller-in-stature skeleton.
Iksars under the effect of Illusion: Skeleton (ie; from Amulet of ) will now display as Iksar Skeletons.

Hell yeah.