Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh yeah, new!Lara is basically Kassandra from AC Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, it was genuinely kinda fun in the first of the new series to see all these hardened mercs going from "what's the big deal, it's just one girl" to "what the gently caress why can't she just die?!" :stonk:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

Nah, Kassandra loves what she's doing and is a bit of an rear end in a top hat, which fits much better with original Core Design Lara Croft, who loved Tomb Raiding so much her family disowned her. Newest!Lara keeps doing stuff because it involved her father/Trinity and her trauma, which TBF does tie into the lovely special bloodline stuff for Kassandra as well. Honestly that and the fetish for the lovely bow is what ruins the modern TR games for me. The previous Crystal Dynamics TR Reboot had to tie it hard to her family line as well, but it also seems to be such a common thing in modern fiction that I can't put the blame solely on them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The biggest thing bringing Tomb Raider down is that they made her more realistic, more gritty, more human, and they should have just gone further in the other direction. More tomb raiding, more incredibly uncomfortable looking outfits, giant boobs, Atlantis, whatever. The new Tomb Raider and old Tomb Raider games are both fun but for very different reasons and feel like different franchises.

There's so little tying Lara to old!Lara that she should have just been a new protagonist.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the Anniversary trilogy for being able to fight mooks with Excalibur and Mjolnir in the Legend and Underworld finales.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

The new Tomb Raider and old Tomb Raider games are both fun but for very different reasons and feel like different franchises.

There is a comparison I like even if it's a bit unfair:
Tomb Raider 1996 has 4 weapons with 3 types of ammunition and 6-7 different ways to jump from flat ground and combat required you to draw your weapons which limited your movement.
Tomb Raider 2013 has 15 different weapons , 8 types of ammo, 1 upgrade currency exclusively for weapons(except the tutorial) and and Xp system primary for combat upgrades and just a single type of jump while you are always armed and ready to murder.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I really enjoyed the trilogy a lot. I just think that playing them back to back was a bit too much Tomb Raider all at once.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I know I played at least two of the games in the series but I only remember anything from the first game. I'd say I didn't play more of them but I have video evidence to the contrary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAwETGFt84

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Surely that's a modded in gun or something.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It's not the default pistol but it's in vanilla. I think maybe the first chance of buying it is right before this cutscene.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

A funny little quirk dragging this completely forgettable game up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of sequels, every once in a while a new game in a series will come out and, for no real apparent reason, will change the controls for something like "jump" or "open menu" and it'll often take me quite a while to adjust my muscle memory to it.

Jumping in Dark Souls was what made me think of it but there's a lot of other examples.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wooper posted:

I know I played at least two of the games in the series but I only remember anything from the first game. I'd say I didn't play more of them but I have video evidence to the contrary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAwETGFt84

Speaking of guns, a thing that drags the trilogy down is that at the end of the first game you get to dual weld guns. And then the other two games takes them away.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Philippe posted:

:hmmyes:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it was genuinely kinda fun in the first of the new series to see all these hardened mercs going from "what's the big deal, it's just one girl" to "what the gently caress why can't she just die?!" :stonk:

"She's got a machine gun!" is definitely the high point of the whole trilogy to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Modern Kassandra exists and has very likely done some tomb raiding of her own, why don't we have a game about that yet, Ubisoft?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowetron posted:

"She's got a machine gun!" is definitely the high point of the whole trilogy to me.

It would be the high point if this wasn't also in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywyu1ZYyLBc

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alhazred posted:

It would be the high point if this wasn't also in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywyu1ZYyLBc

It's been a while and I completely forgot that part. I should replay the first one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

I see the person uploading this didn't do any optional stuff, because they're still using the default assault rifle.

Also Ubisoft won't do a modern-day Kassandra game (or a "Kassandra through history" game) because they're sexist cowards and having w0mz in your game doesn't sell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Really, Fire Emblem: Three Hopes? You're going to zoom the camera in on Shamir's cleavage when she's trying to politely explain that a noble hired a mercenary company to kidnap her into sexual slavery? And round it off with a joke of Leonie not understanding Shamir's implication and Shez telling Leonie that she'll understand when she's older?

loving hell.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of sequels, every once in a while a new game in a series will come out and, for no real apparent reason, will change the controls for something like "jump" or "open menu" and it'll often take me quite a while to adjust my muscle memory to it.

Jumping in Dark Souls was what made me think of it but there's a lot of other examples.

SR3 changed sprint from the button in SR2 (LB I think?) and it messed me up for a good hour or four

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

NonzeroCircle posted:

SR3 changed sprint from the button in SR2 (LB I think?) and it messed me up for a good hour or four

Endless Space 2 uses the arrow keys to move the camera. Warhammer 3 uses WASD. So many wrong buttons pressed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yeah they made that so the Sprint button in other games is the "throw grenade" button, which would be annoying but it also felt really in keeping with the spirit of things for me to occasionally accidentally throw a grenade and have to leg it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

I see the person uploading this didn't do any optional stuff, because they're still using the default assault rifle.

Vindication!! :yeshaha:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

God of War Ragnarok may have some of the worst puzzles I've ever seen in a video game. They've got a bunch of puzzles where you have to bounce your axe off a bunch of purple rocks to hit a switch. The problem is the position you have to be in and the angle you have to throw are so exact that it's almost impossible to guess right. And that's not even getting into the lovely puzzles they brought back like "hit three bulbs in one axe swing" or "find three bells hidden in the environment and hit them all in 10 seconds". Made worse is the fact every time you throw your axe you have to hit triangle to bring it back, which gets to be a real pain when you're constantly having to do it. It would have been so much easier to just have Atreus hit them with his bow instead. They did bring bow puzzles back but instead of looking for giant glaring crystals you're looking for weak spots in the environment that glow green, but the glow is so faint that it's easy to miss. Not once have I completed a puzzle and felt satisfied. Mostly I've thought "Jesus how lovely is the next puzzle gonna be?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I haven't run into axe bouncing puzzles yet, oh boy. I was kinda hoping they'd dropped the timed puzzles though, since the only puzzle chests I've stuck around long enough to solve didn't require that. At least they're optional though, I feel no shame in just noping out of something that turns out to be annoying if it's not required.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Thymesia, while its true to real life for the same ad to be posted all over the place, all you are doing is training me to ignore every readable thing I see.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Crowetron posted:

For me it's the part when you bust through a door and obliterate some poor gently caress with a shotgun then Lara yells "That's right, STILL ALIVE!" as the other guys in the room scream and run for cover.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Any time you get to whip a molotov at someone in Rise it's a pretty good time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Modern Kassandra exists and has very likely done some tomb raiding of her own, why don't we have a game about that yet, Ubisoft?

Honestly shocked that when they announced like a hundred AssCreed games a couple months ago that none of them were a return to Kassandra.

I need to go do the crossover DLC in Odyssey and Valhalla, I still haven't gotten around to that yet.

Little thing dragging a game down: AC Valhalla is an inferior game in every single way to AC Odyssey. It kind of sucks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It really is weird that, for a franchise so focused on continuing plot and lore, they've stuck Kassandra with just a dlc addition. She feels like one of the most obvious characters to do a real follow up on. But, as mentioned earlier, Ubisoft is made up of stupid cowards.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Kay Kessler posted:

God of War Ragnarok may have some of the worst puzzles I've ever seen in a video game. They've got a bunch of puzzles where you have to bounce your axe off a bunch of purple rocks to hit a switch. The problem is the position you have to be in and the angle you have to throw are so exact that it's almost impossible to guess right. And that's not even getting into the lovely puzzles they brought back like "hit three bulbs in one axe swing" or "find three bells hidden in the environment and hit them all in 10 seconds". Made worse is the fact every time you throw your axe you have to hit triangle to bring it back, which gets to be a real pain when you're constantly having to do it. It would have been so much easier to just have Atreus hit them with his bow instead. They did bring bow puzzles back but instead of looking for giant glaring crystals you're looking for weak spots in the environment that glow green, but the glow is so faint that it's easy to miss. Not once have I completed a puzzle and felt satisfied. Mostly I've thought "Jesus how lovely is the next puzzle gonna be?"

Legitimate pro tip: turn on the 'show axe bounce path' or whatever it's called in the accessibility settings. It took me reading this to even realize that THAT'S what that option did, because I never even minded those puzzles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

For me it's the part when you bust through a door and obliterate some poor gently caress with a shotgun then Lara yells "That's right, STILL ALIVE!" as the other guys in the room scream and run for cover.

Another fun moment is when someone suggest they should team up with Lara against the undead samurais.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Perestroika posted:

The best bit of the first game is:

"Oh poo poo she's got a grenade launcher!"
"I'M COMING FOR YOU YOU BASTARDS!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

The best bit of the first game is:

"Oh poo poo she's got a grenade launcher!"
"I'M COMING FOR YOU YOU BASTARDS!"

Yeah, that was really good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

"Kratos! You're on fire!"

yeah i can see that thanks game

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Hygiene posted:

I haven't run into axe bouncing puzzles yet, oh boy. I was kinda hoping they'd dropped the timed puzzles though, since the only puzzle chests I've stuck around long enough to solve didn't require that. At least they're optional though, I feel no shame in just noping out of something that turns out to be annoying if it's not required.

I think the timed ones is when its specifically bells you are ringing. At least exploring round the lake with the geysers the only timed one I found was bells. You can increase the time window in the options menu if it bothers you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my biggest complaint so far with Ragnarok is that it kind of just feels like more of the same. I mean, I enjoyed the last game so I don't hate it or anything but for a sequel you expect some innovation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
most of GoW's cast is great to listen to when they're not shouting hints and warnings into your ear, and then there's Atreus, who speaks every single line in a marble-mouthed monotone unless he's throwing a tantrum. though it doesn't help that the lines give to his character are also far worse than everyone else. it's bad enough that the center of this game about the norse apocalypse is a whitebread teenager, why is all of his dialogue written like he just stepped off a one-season NBC sitcom? it's all hesitant mumbling and limp snark, he has nothing substantial to say despite being the game's deuteragonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh yeah absolutely, I feel Atreus is really one of the primary things dragging the game down, just as in the first one.

But also, one big thing I dislike is when the game has fiddly puzzle solutions that rely on a bit of physics and a bit of game logic combining to be an annoying mess.
The bouncy axe things aren't much of an issue, because other than positioning they lock the axe into a 'perfect' bounce when you're close enough. (Though I have encountered axe targets despawning before you hit them, but that's a bug.)

However, the purple stuff is pretty annoying. So many things that use it let you place things freely in the scene, which of course pairs well with them having limited range and they expire after a while (or if you miss.).
The purple stuff would have been far better if it recognized what you were trying to do, and artificially extended it's range a tiny bit to cheat in a 'perfect' solution, like with the axe.
Any larger puzzle using it will generally demand a couple retries because you accidentally placed them just sliiiightly too far way from eachother, so that they don't chain properly.

In general, game puzzles can be tedious enough without them failing because you're half of a squirrels asscheek too far too the left when you trigger it.